Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it's one of the worst comic book movies I've ever seen. It's mostly boring, and when it's not it has some just plain disgusting messaging. At least Spider-Man 3, Batman & Robin, X-Men 3, Thor The Dark World, and Elektra didn't have the hero rape somebody and not care that they took over the life of another person against their will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I want to watch movies too, but there's more movies than just ok adaptations of comic books.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think that was basically the only time she mentioned Snyder, and she did the one thing where I've been looking at that whole clique of people and going "Uh, why are you guys just ignoring this?" so whatever.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It'd probably land better for me if Wanda and Vision had more than, like, four scenes together before this.

I'm still gonna watch because I'm curious how it'll play out, but I was definitely wishing they would just hurry up with the actual plot instead of doing bad sitcom parody.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought they were already making Indy 5 with the guy who directed Logan?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rewatched Batman Returns, and goddamn is this movie incredibly horny. Especially compared to how chaste the MCU is.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Timby posted:

People talk about how sexualized the imagery is in Schumacher's Batman movies--and they're not wrong--but holy poo poo, I guarantee you babies have been conceived while Batman Returns has been playing on TV. That movie is just dripping with sex in almost every scene.

I've always said there's a fascinating dichotomy in Burton's Batmovies. '89 is a pretty good Batman movie that doesn't ever really go full Burton. Returns is a fantastic Tim Burton movie that occasionally happens to feature Batman.

Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman is probably responsible for a lot of lesbian awakenings.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'll be angry that the MCU X-Men aren't social justice warriors.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh my God Falcon and Winter Soldier opens with Falcon killing terrorists in Libya.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They were French terrorists, which makes it even weirder it's in Libya

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Freakazoid_ posted:

You picked the worst example to dunk on him with. LotR has a spectacular and unique soundtrack that doesn't wear itself out.

And yes, I DO cry every time.

Neither doez Junkie XL's incredible Justice League soundtrack, Mr. Freakazoid.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched JL 3 times and never found the pacing to be a bother.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey sure is a thing

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I want to see Batman punch someone

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oasx posted:

I don't understand the appeal of Harley Quinn in any media, but besides that the trailer looks fun.

She's hot

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm a trans girl who likes to smooch girls and munch carpet, and would like to talk about comic book movies and not the next presidential election in 4 years.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like the movie Blade.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Some motherfuckers are always trying to moderate uphill.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

poonchasta posted:

It's a character that can change their gender identity... by putting on or taking off a hat. It seems relevant to what everyone's been talking about.

I'm trans and don't give a poo poo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Please read Greg Pak's Incredible Hercules run, it's some of the most fun you'll have with comic books.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

poonchasta posted:

Exactly. That's why I wanted a black person to weigh in on the Awkwafina discussion.

I'd prefer you not use my struggles as a gotcha moment to win your dumbfuck internet debate.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I wonder how many times the MCU can use "Well meaning villain with good and reasonable leftist points, who just so happens to be a completely evil psychopath willing to murder for no reason" before people starting thinking about it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm glad Geoff Johns got to basically run DC Comics and in the process removed all the POC legacy characters in favor of their white predecessors with the excuse that it's what he grew up with.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Geoff Johns was involved with the MCU?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You can tell Ethan Van Sciver is not a racist because he drew POC for Geoff Johns

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean I'm not sure which detail you're focusing on. but I think regardless the female version of the traditionally male character telling the main character to not deadname her and being hunted down because she doesn't belong is indeed trans even if they snuck in a little detail to backtrack it from being literally true.

Would you say that she's low key trans?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It might be interesting to go back to X2 and see just how much it differs from the MCU style.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You can just take the Deathstroke/Lex scene and the Knightmare sequence as what would have been post credits sequences in a theatrical release.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

2house2fly posted:

I became a fan of Deathstroke after seeing his two scenes and half a dozen lines at the end of ZSJL, and am now gutted to find out he hasn't actually been in any cartoons or anything that I can see, other than a couple of video games

He's in Teen Titans, but they just call him 'Slade' and he's voiced by Ron Perlman. He's not really a merc for hire in that version, and more of a criminal mastermind though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Freakazoid_ posted:

Can you even have an interesting journey in the DC universe? Lord of the Rings works because most of the cast are just regular folk. When your cast has a mix of reality defying powers, there's not a lot you can do to keep the story from being resolved right away.

Which is why the characters have endured for 80 years and used in a massive variety of stories, tones, and reinterpretations?

Burkion posted:

They basically cut the bullshit and made him what the comics havebeen trying to for a while

Evil Batman

Yeah, I think he's probably the best version of the character.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just remembered the take that people had that Batman should just invest his money and crimefighting gadgets in the GCPD.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Flying Zamboni posted:

The comic Batman: White Knight makes this argument and it's terrible. That's the alternate universe comic where The Joker cures himself of his Jokeritis and becomes a politician campaigning for "police reform" but the reform he's talking about is that all of the cops should have their own bat-tanks and bat-armor.

It was really stupid.

I avoided that mini specifically because I saw the premise and went "That sounds like garbage" and turns out I made the right call

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1412516797673316358

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've made a dedicated thread for Black Widow: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3972852

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

Just couldn't get eyeround it

Queueing permaban

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I saw Snake Eyes last night. It's a fun enough movie, and it felt like somebody remade Batman Begins with the one of an early-00s Marvel movie.

Only thing is that I hate it does the origin movie thing of not having the character in their costume until the literal end.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

thrawn527 posted:

I don't remember if the trailer shows it. Does the costume have the lips it did in Rise of Cobra?

Nah

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Please be careful of the term "actual Japanese people"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zzulu posted:

I only ever heard the "controversy" coming from Americans. I guess there's an issue in America with hiring asian actors? If so, that sucks. Afaik Japanese people liked the casting though;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DhoBuU1Dtc

There are Japanese-Americans who dislike it.