Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Blood Boils posted:

Nah nu trek is pretty good, beyond is the weakest but the other 2 are solid

I'm kind of the reverse of that. The first movie was... okay even though Time Travel Bullshit isn't really my cuppa. The second was pretty good right up to end, which just shat the bed for me. I get it, Abrams wanted to do Wrath of Khan, but it was important in WoK that Kirk had earned Khan's wrath - or at least appeared to. I think it'd have been far more interesting for the end of Into Darkness to have been Kirk and Khan actually parting as something like friends, making ID kind of the inverse of WoK.

I think I liked Beyond the best because we finally got away from the Lens Flairs and also I just loved the poo poo out of Sofia Boutella as Jaylah. I've spent four years hoping for a Beyond sequel just to see that character again, but no dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

2house2fly posted:

It would have been a decent fit. I'm thinking of the bit in MoS where he gives himself up to the military and is trying to be nice to them while they're putting cuffs on him and scheming to try and tranquilise him. The bit where Batman beats up Superman because he's worried he might turn violent would have an uncomfortable vibe tho

I don't mind the occasional uncomfortable vibe. I will say that Zod should still be played by Michael Shannon because Michael Shannon.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mat Cauthon posted:

I really liked Star Trek 09, found Into Darkness to be an entertaining misfire and thought Beyond was fun but you could sand the IP off it and the movie would still work so I can see why people who are more invested in ST stuff would be put off by it (and the general arc of the NuTrek stuff).

The cast was great though, I wouldn't mind a couple more outings with them but it seems like most if not all of them have moved on.

Star Trek: Beyond is mildly fascinating to me because of what they did with the Jaylah character. Star Trek: Beyond was released in the US on July, 22, 2016. Anton Yelchin (Chekov) died, in a stupid, horrible accident in which his vehicle rolled into and crushed him on June 19, 2016 at which point the movie had long since been filmed, edited and in the can.

And yet, within the movie, the Jaylah character ends up going through an arc that leaves her almost perfectly set up to become Chekov's replacement. So much so that I've occasionally wondered if the studio was planning to replace Yelchin in the series for some reason. As far as I know, they weren't, which makes the whole bit just kind of deeply strange.

The United States posted:

The Boys was terrible edgelord poo poo but the adaptation did a lot of work making it palatable

A lot of it was. On the other hand, I keep a dark, warm spot in my heart for Ennis's take on "What if 9-11 Happened in the Superhero World?"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

josh04 posted:

A stunning number of Sherlock Holmes short stories involve people with dark secrets from their time in the colonies.

Sure, but you could also say that:

quote:

A stunning amount of British history involves people with dark secrets from their time in the colonies.

and it wouldn't be wrong.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

McCloud posted:

how they put in a heroic CIA agent using drowns to blow up african revolutionaries in the most anticipated black superhero film ever

Wasn't Killmonger's "plan" to ship out a poo poo-load of Wakandan super-weapons and effectively create like 20,000 spiritual clones of Charles Taylor?

Any decent person should sympathize with Killmonger's frustration and desire to see freedom and justice for all black people, but he was still a perfect example of H. L. Mencken's "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

McCloud posted:

I mean, they probably could have maybe not have had the whitest dude ever play a CIA agent that uses drones to heroically kill black people who are represented as a threat to the stability of the western world in a coup against the legitimate ruler of a nation rich in resources. It's just not a good look. The CIA agent was also a state dept employee in the comics, so that little change was pretty suspicious too.

Were the vehicles he was shooting down actually occupied by humans? I though they were basically robot planes.

For my part I figure they made him CIA to let him realistically give out the exposition on who and what Killmonger actually was - which a regular State department employee probably couldn't do.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

This isn't a documentary, you can write whatever background for Killmonger they want.

And they chose to make him a former CIA black ops guy who is doing what CIA black ops guys do, but, shock horror, to the wrong people. More than one person on here has pointed to that expositional scene as some sort of critique of the CIA, but it doesn't work as one. It's dropped purely as a piece of useful information, no one reacts to it in any way aside from 'oh, good, now we know his plan'

Well, the guy's name is "Killmonger." Figure his background won't be filled with hugs and puppies. And what reaction should there have been? Some version of T'challa and the other Wankandans going "Oh my stars and garters. You mean the CIA is full of meanie-means?" Nakia (who is basically Wakandan CIA) probably tanked more than a few Agency ops that threatened Wakandan interests. They know what the CIA is.

Snowman_McK posted:

And the complex, realistic solution the movie presents is 'build STEM centres' and 'talk to the UN'

Again, it's not a documentary. They chose to write a black revolutionary looking to arm black people as an insincere, self interested friend killing psychopath who is completely beyond redemption. They chose to give that character a plan that, 'realistically wouldn't work' in a world where one drunken lunatic in a super suit privatized world peace in between movies.

Well that "talk to the UN" pretty much reveals Wakanda as the newest public superpower and likely the most powerful nation on the planet. And it's a Black nation. And those STEM centers will be run by people with technology 50-100 years ahead of the rest of the planet. As beginnings go, it's not a bad one.

And I think Killmonger was sincere as far as it went. The problem is that Killmonger, at his core, was pretty much still that 12 year old (or whatever) kid who saw a plane leaving and found his father murdered body. It's not that he was beyond redemption, but that he wouldn't seek it in the first place because he believed that what he was doing was right.

Meanwhile, Tony Stark claimed a lot of things. Claiming to have "privatized world peace" was just one claim. And just because he claimed it doesn't make it any less bullshit.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 4, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You have to ask yourself why the real, actual CIA hosts a page regarding Black Panther.

https://www.cia.gov/stories/story/wakandan-technology-today-a-cia-scientist-explores-the-possibilities/

I really don't think you have to ask yourself why the CIA hosts a page regarding a movie that made them look good - or at least look not as obviously evil.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jimbot posted:

At least it's not hosted by the FBI.

I don't know. I'd kind of like to see this trend to continue and expand. Maybe a movie about heroic voyeurs hosted by the NSA?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ferrinus posted:

The incredibly belabored and overwrought villainization of Killmonger is pretty disgusting on its face, but there are at least two ways in which it's also clarifying:

1) Well, he's violent, mean, insane, smells bad, etc... but he's the only one actually standing up to western hegemony. Is it more important to have popular appeal, or to end injustice? If it's only monsters and demons who fight capitalism, well, so be it; bring on the monsters and demons.

2) The extent to which he turns out to be evil on every axis is really ridiculous and clearly a post-facto character assassination meant to distract from the essential rightness of his cause. Hmm, I wonder what other anti-imperialist revolutionaries have been depicted as cackling psychopaths purely for propaganda's sake?

It's a superhero movie. The good and bad guys are going to be clearly and melodramatically defined.

Meanwhile, just because a cause is righteous does not make all of those championing that cause righteous. Osama bin Laden and ISIL were/are surely standing up to western hegemony. Are they the good guys simply because of that? I think not.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ferrinus posted:

I'm not sure that they were. One succeeded beyond his wildest dreams in provoking an attack on the middle east and the other rampaged around the same middle east without really touching America's catspaw in the region.

While superhero movies might have particularly simplistic and archetypical characters (though I feel like they usually don't; the bad guy of Homecoming very sympathetic), it's not always that those characters are smeared every which way specifically to distract from the fact that what they're actually doing in the story is perfectly justified. Compare Killmonger to, say, Thanos, who is objectively mongering way more kills but is in line with fascist population control fantasies and therefore comes off as much more respectable and thoughtful.

Speaking only for myself, I had much more sympathy for Killmonger than I did for Thanos. Thanos's quest was very much self-chosen and kind of idiotic on its face. Killm-, you know what? gently caress that. Killmonger is kind of the "slave name" the CIA coined for him. Erik Stevens was a child with a mother and father who loved him. T'chaka came in and destroyed their family, leaving Erik to rot in Oakland, California foster care, his mother to rot in prison and his father's corpse to rot on the floor. Erik Stevens's return to Wakanda was the definition of "You reap what you sow."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ferrinus posted:

Oh, I'm right there with you. It's just funny to compare with Killmonger actually stands for and what Thanos actually stands for with how Killmonger was actually portrayed and how Thanos was actually portrayed. Thanos was a (provably!!!) loving father making heavy sacrifices for what he was convinced - and, honestly, what he convinced everyone else, since they never really had a counterargument - was the greater good. Killmonger just gets every possible signifier of being a stupid rear end in a top hat, such that we're supposed to understand that only some kind of pathological fuckup would ever want to do anything but buddy up with the U S of A.

But, again, there's a lesson to be drawn, just by virtue of comparing who gets to be a genteel philosopher and who has to be a vortex of maladaptive behaviors and mental complexes. Why did the entirety of the MCU build to the revelation that the guy who wants to do a genocide kinda has a point, actually? Hmmm...

The overpopulation argument is kind of BS on its face. It's something that sounds good because it lets the privileged (like, honestly, you and me) off the hook. "Welp, Africans are starving because there's just too drat many Africans. It can't have anything to do with the fact that I'd much rather use my Macbook Pro laptop to go online than sell it to get money to send aid to starving people. BTW, along with there being way too many Africans, we're facing a critical shortage of hot Swedish bikini models who want to sex up fat nerds like me. Something must be done."

One of the more hosed up things about racism, American style, is how it partly arose out of the desire of slave-owning assholes to want to see themselves as good people. If they just said, "Yeah, your chief liked our gold more than he liked you, so he sold your rear end to a slave ship captain who sold you to me and now you get to pick cotton for the rest of your life. Tough poo poo for you," that makes them kind of the bad guys exploiting other people. But, if black people are just... "less than" sort of like human-looking animals who "need" the structure and security of slavery, well, then owning slaves makes you a good person for helping them out, doesn't it?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

all this talk about whether black people or white people should be villains are ignoring the true villains: albinos.

Clearly albinos are just vampires that successfully rebranded.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Roth posted:

I'll be angry that the MCU X-Men aren't social justice warriors.

I'll be angry if at least one X-team isn't explicitly named Teenage Mutant Social Justice Warriors. Team Leader: Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Judakel posted:

Considering how Marvel is about as deep as a puddle, I am guessing this involved looking in the mirror and reflecting on responsibilities without dwelling on the how policy has adversely affected black men and every sense of their being for the last 50 years. I don't know, talk about the carceral state and the war on drugs, that's an easy lay-up.

If Luke Cage couldn't do it, this will not be able to do it.

Falcon (looking into a mirror): Yep. I am pretty definitely a Black African American Negro

Seriously though, I would love to see some kind of Werner Herzog Interviews the Marvel Universe that was also written and directed by Werner Herzog.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 10, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Darko posted:

Uh oh, now I'm gonna talk about Community's action scenes, haha.

I don't know. We're getting away from the thread's theme. Stick to Frasier action scenes, please.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

well why not posted:

I don't think it's fair to compare any TV show to Hannibal, really.

It's fair to compare Clarice to Hannibal but only to show your utter contempt for Clarice.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

I've resolved myself now to the fact that, whenever I see a good, interesting actor giving an impressive performance, the next thing I will see them in is a mediocre blockbuster that utterly wastes them.

Actually, you mention Supernatural and I know there's plenty of jokes to make about it, but I remember catching a very early episode where the brothers end up fighting each other. forr a network show in 2005, it's a pretty drat good fight scene. It clearly communicates that they both know what they're doing and also that they're very closely matched both through the choreography and performance. I remember nothing else about that episode except being surprised how good that fight scene was.

The main things I recall about Supernatural was from an old Television Without Pity review of the pilot. The first bit went something like:

TWoP: The girl says she wore the pentagram to freak out her parents about "devil stuff." Sam replies that a Pentagram is a powerful symbol of protection for those who believe in it. I never knew that despite watching five season of Charmed because Charmed sucks.

The second bit was the reviewer being overjoyed that Sam's girlfriend/fiance in the pilot got stuck to the ceiling and burned alive because the reviewer somehow thought that Supernatural was somehow going to be like Dawson's Creek, and... nope, not so much.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

Burkion posted:

What the gently caress was going on in Dawson's Creek
massively overwritten dialogue, mostly

Sounds about right. Essentially the TWoP reviewer was expecting Sam's fiance to be joining the cast and accompanying him and Dean with some kind of dumb love triangle. So her getting stapled to the ceiling and incinerated was a huge relief for him.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FilthyImp posted:

All I remember is people in high school going "ohgmerherddd they talk like sooooo smart"

*me looking up from my book in the corner sending daggers through my narrow stare*

I never watched a single episode of Dawson's Creek and it somehow still annoyed me to the point that I didn't get into Fringe until well into the second season just because one of the stars was Joshua Jackson AKA Pacey from DC.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

I hate Dawson’s Creek but I can’t hate Joshua Jackson. He’s charming as all get out.

https://youtu.be/Gx2G2yp6cU4

1:20 - 1:30 "I'm only working on Fringe to fund my first love, which is Pacey fan fiction."

Now that I think about it, I actually like all three of the main actors in DC from other things they've done.

Jackson as Peter in Fringe

James Van Der Beek (as a version of himself in Don't Trust the B--- in Apartment 23 (miss that show a lot)

Katie Holmes as Jessica King in The Gift

Really The Gift is a movie that should be seen by more people. It's got excellent performances by Cate Blanchette and a genuinely terrifying one from Keanu Reeves, who is about as far from Neo (The Gift came out in Jan. 2001) as one could imagine.

Dear God, I'm going to have to watch some Dawson's Creek, aren't I?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

Don't forget that the fourth big lead in Dawson's Creek was Michelle Williams, who is amazing in pretty much everything she's been in since then.

I didn't really forget Williams. It's just that the only thing I've seen her in was the Tom Hardy Venom, which probably wasn't the best showcase of her talent.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kustomkarkommando posted:

I always remember reading stories with flagsmasher in them confused as to why exactly he was a villain

My take was "Wait, flags are basically cloth. Why would smashing them - AKA hitting them with blunt, crushing force be expected to do them any real harm? I mean Flag-slicer, Flag-ripper and of course Flag-burner I could see, but Flag-smasher?"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Necrothatcher posted:

those sons of bitch terrorists want to create a world WITHOUT borders

can you imagine that hell?

Season Two of Falcon and the Winter Soldier sees Sam and Bucky taking on an organization ruthlessly determined to bring medical care to those who need it. Watch Falcon and the Winter Soldier face off against the terrible threat of Doctors Without Borders.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ungulateman posted:

it's also unbelievable that the us government wouldn't just be shovelling money at them on account of all the work they do protecting their interests

Figure part of it is that Sam was dead for five years - and the time it takes a disappeared person to be declared legally dead is also, IIRC, five years - at least in the USA. There's probably some kind of general unofficial moratorium among banks, etc. against doing business with Returned people. Absent Sam's finances, his sister's were (theoretically) too sucky for them to consider a loan.

That said, the whole thing is kind of absurd on its face because the truth is that Sam's "Avengers Goodwill" thing is probably quite real. And it could easily be focused as ill-will toward the bank that's treating him like this. What should have happened is that the dude either talks to his boss or, more likely, gets called away by his boss and the two have a not-quite-inaudible convo about how whatever the loan guidelines are, they'd be insane to want to piss off an Avenger - especially an Avenger who probably knows people who have the FBI, CIA, IRS and SEC on speed-dial.

That said again, even though it is a little absurd, it's nice that they're at least trying to bring in the idea that these folks have lives and problems outside of "what's the coolest way to get on a plane while that plane is flying?"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Future Lamentation theme

Not very ancient lamentation theme

Let's make other people lamentate theme

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I started watching the Snyder cut and got as far as Bruce starting his story in the village. It's at least okay, but I don't think I'm in the right mood/mind-frame to watch it all the way through yet. Currently re-watching Fast and Furious 6. Hopefully that doesn't make me a bad person.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jimbot posted:

Not at all. Same themes between the two, except the Justice League family hasn't quite gotten together yet like Dom's has.

I'm really looking forward to F9 because I want to see what kind of ridiculous poo poo they're going to do in cars next.

At some point I'm expecting them to do the Trench Run on the Death Star. In cars.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, it's really more like a "gently caress it, why not?" version

Which really isn't that bad an idea for an action/superhero movie. It might not make something a "good" movie, but it could at least make it a more interesting one. And interesting is still good.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 23, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Barry Foster posted:

Superman in the gravity beam for me (though all the examples posted are legit amazing)

While it was clearly a deliberate call-back to a scene from the comic, I liked the bit in Spider-Man: Homecoming with Peter in his original crappy "onesie" costume trying to get from under the rubble.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Shang Chi won't have the guts (AKA Disney's access to the rights to the Fu Manchu character) to say the protagonist's father is Fu Manchu.

Clarified that for you.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Zack Snyder Justice League Pitch Meeting with Ancient Lamenation Music

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mr. Apollo posted:

I read a review that praised it as “this generation’s Lethal Weapon”.

Give it time. Eventually some fuckwit is going to call it Marvel's Mississippi Burning.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The MSJ posted:

Battlestar is the not-Bucky the US government paired with not-Captain America John Walker.

It's at least possible that Bucky has seen Battlestar Galactica (both versions), but it looked like Bucky's reaction was more along the lines of "Really? Who disrespected you enough to give you such a cheesy code name?"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lord_Magmar posted:

Especially because Bucky's "super title" is one he clearly has no interest in continuing.

I tend to "head-wank" that when Bucky is sort of staring into space, he's actually glaring at the people in our who decided to name this series Falcon and the Winter Soldier when Bucky specifically made a point rejecting the code name, Winter Soldier, when he took down that Senator.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pirate Jet posted:

He hasn’t really done anything wrong but people hate him because he’s young and dumb as a brick. He’s covered in tattoos (which is not inherently bad but people judge for that,) he proposed to Ariana Grande on their first date, he made fun of an actual fuckin fascist (Dan Crenshaw) on SNL and then felt the need to bring him on the show to personally apologize to him because he had military service.

I don’t really have a problem with him as an actor.

As far as the Crenshaw thing goes, as I understand it, it wasn't that he made of the guy, it was that he made fun of the eye patch. That covered the eye. That Crenshaw lost in his military service. So it's not so much that Davidson kowtowwed to a fascist. It's that he wanted to walk back and make right coming off his an Ablest rear end in a top hat.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

Pretty sure mocking a guy who lost his eye doing something stupid while doing something evil isn't ableist, esp[ecially when it's a guy who's parlayed that stupidity in the middle of evil into a career doing way more evil. The same way making fun of kamala harris for being awful isn't inherently misogynist.

Sure, but can we agree that making a crack that instead of being VP she should have run to be manager of a 7-11 is racist? That there is, in fact, a difference between mocking someone's actions and political beliefs and mocking someone's physical attributes or heritage? Dan Crenshaw's politics are Trump-humping vile. We can and should rag on his politics. But maybe we shouldn't mock the fact that an IED blew up in his face and took his eye while he was serving his country in the military in Afghanistan.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm fine mocking that fact and apologising to fascists is bad.

Good enough. But just to make sure the ground rules are clear, does that mean we can make fun of Jessie Smollet for being black and gay along with the fact that he faked a hate crime to get a salary boost? Because if it's open season on one bad person's physical attributes and heritage, it's open season on everybody else's as well.

For my part, any mockery I direct toward Smollet will center around faking a hate crime and thereby making life more difficult for other victims of hate crimes. I see no need to bring his race or sexual orientation into it. However, now that the door has been opened other people might see things differently.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mat Cauthon posted:

Crenshaw wasn't born with one eye, and you should really reconsider the rhetorical road you're going down here.

I should consider the road? So if somebody wasn't born with a disability but gets one later that makes mocking it okay? I hope that's not what you mean. Even so, do you really want to try to carve out some kind of "bad person" exception for bigotry? Because as a straight, white CiS-gender male, I have to tell you that a road like that will not lead anywhere most people want to go. Crenshaw is a US Congressman who is popular in his district. So figure the people who elected and re-elected his Trump-humping rear end have very different ideas about what makes a bad person.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Just the immediate jump itself to Smollett as some sort of equivalent comparison to a quasi-fascist dirtbag.... yikes.

Smollet is a (presumably) non-quasi-fascist dirtbag. But they're both still dirtbags. Honestly, of the two, I think Smollet has done more overall harm. Violence based on bigotry is up. Any minority or gay or trans victim of that violence who reports it to the police will likely be taken less seriously now because Smollet wanted a bigger paycheck. Maybe Smollet isn't a bigot himself but his actions have certainly enabled bigotry and given cover for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

No, don't you see, if it wasn't for Smollet, the Chicago PD, who maintained black sites for extracting confessions for years, would take crimes against black people and gay people very seriously.

And you think "Don't bother. It's probably just another Smollet thing" wasn't said at a whole bunch of police stations after that?

But hey, fine. Smollet's action was just a harmless little prank.

And the Nazi poo poo-heel in Charlottesville who plowed into the protestors? Just took a wrong turn.

And that guy in Atlanta wasn't a bigoted gently caress who hated Asian women. He was just crying for help for his sex addiction.

That's not about equivalency. Smollet didn't murder anyone. But if you excuse one person's bad behavior it can give cover to let people excuse (or just accept the excuses for) others' bad behavior.