Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This brand identification is just the '00s console wars writ large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And it constantly desperately tries to get you to follow toxic people.

Anyone who intends to use twitter regularly really needs to use a dashboard other than the default. Tweetdeck is the most decent I've found.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Magneto vs The Iron Dream

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The MSJ posted:

It's like something from Tails Gets Trolled.

Now there's a comic ripe for a big budget adaptation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Aces High posted:

maybe I'm just super pessimistic and cynical but after everything with Ray Fisher, this is coming across as "we totally learned our lesson about POC characters and actors, look, here's a black Superman"

Oh yeah, 100%.

Still, I don't want to preemptively hate this film. Even without Snyder, the WB DC films have a history of trying to make safe films and failing, occasionally to their benefit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Magneto makes an impassioned appeal to universalism that almost convinces the X-men, but once they see how willing he is to resort to violence they heroically team up to stop his extremist attack on a children's detention center.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

This feels like they stole the idea from Devilman.

Go Nagai did something like that twice, from what I remember. First in Devilman where one of the devils kept the souls of the people he ate as a shell protecting his body, and once later on in one of his Mazinger sequels (Grendizer, maybe?) where a villain duck taped a school classroom to a giant robot to keep the hero from fighting it.

Edit: yeah it was Grendizer.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 9, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Mythbusters even did an episode about it because they were skeptical it would work and were surprised when it proved to be pretty effective

I guess it makes sense. Explosion suppressant foams are a thing and peoples insides are basically foam*.

*may not actually be true

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Flash movie started filming almost exactly 3 years after the original date it was supposed to release in theaters.

-just long enough for me to kill Iris!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I remember one of the copycat projects being a Siege of Masada movie with Mel Gibson attached.

Maybe for the best we didn't get that one.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Who utterly despises Avatar?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Klungar posted:

So is Rorschach showing up in this one?

Its astonishing how much weight Watchmen still holds over comic book culture's consciousness.

Pillowpants posted:

I just watched Avatar with my son a few weeks ago - why do people hate it now?

It's a solid film, but the basic James Cameron schtick hits a little different when the focus is on a white guy colonist.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 4, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Timeless Appeal posted:

--It is worth noting that the Batman doesn't give head thing can really be rooted in Silver Age comics. A lot of superhero comics are rooted in 20th century homoscoial behavior, the idea that women inherently weaken and lessen men. A lot of the conflict around Silver Age Batwoman was the threat of her domesticating Batman and taking him away from his bat duties.

Relatedly, the fear that Batman and Robin could be read as queer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

josh04 posted:

Unrelatedly, I finished up with Invincible, which I thought was pretty good in the end.

A solid read all the way through, Josh.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

There's a couple paragraphs in this that struck out to me:

quote:

As the Major begins to dig into her history, she learns that her entire backstory was a lie. She meets her real mother, a Japanese woman played by Kaori Momoi, and learns that "Mira Killian" is a fake name. Her true name is actually Motoko Kusanagi after all.

In other words, all along, the Major has been an Asian person in a white woman's body. Whitewashing isn't incidental to this movie; it's the actual premise. For fans already unhappy with the Major's change into a white person, this is an extra slap in the face. This is Hollywood saying they don't want to hire Asian actors even to play Asian people.

Regardless of GotS 2016's qualities as a film (I haven't watched it) Angie Han's complaint baffles me. Whitewashing is bad, but discussing whitewashing is worse? Would she prefer the film whitewash the character, but have the decency not to draw attention to it? Who would that serve?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The main point of contention, and this covered her attempts to play a trans man too, is availability of roles. In a fair and just world Scarlet Johansson playing The Major wouldn't be an issue, they cast her for the story. In the real world they cast a white woman in a role that could have easily gone to an Asian actress. Those same Asian actresses that sure as poo poo aren't considered for roles that typically go to Scarlet Johansson or Emma Stone.

I think its latter point, that Asian actresses and actors aren't being given considered for rolls, that is the core problem, and I'm concerned this framework obscures that. It also seems to take "white as a default" for granted -- that ScarJo or whoever shouldn't be anime heroines because she's allowed the "normal" women's roles.

The framing also seems to be very selectively applied. Did Rosa Salazar get some heat for Alita that I missed (frankly, quite possible)? Did Tom Cruise for Edge of Tomorrow?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's also, like, about the interrelationship of prejudice with colonialsm, mercantalism and capitalism. If anything, it's an example of that thing SMG's said a couple times about how problematizing can be useful.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 1, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Trying to determine why some films do better than others, well not always an impossible task, is still something of a black art even in the best of circumstances.
These are not the best of circumstances.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alec Eiffel posted:

The characterization of nearly every character is so rail-thin that you could ascribe various political points of view to them.

Alec Eiffel posted:

There’s little plot and characterization though, so I guess filling-in-the-blanks is a logical step, even if it is ultimately fan-fiction.

Alec Eiffel posted:

I think you’re dissatisfied with the film because you expected something transgressive and maybe leftist (?) and you got more centrist pablum from the superhero factory.

[...]

As for the whole comparisons to South America et al, obviously no film is made in a vacuum, but it’s hard for me to care about how the film compares to reality because a) I don’t think James Gunn put that much thought into the coup elements of the plot - it’s more of a plot contrivance to get the pieces in place. And b) The politics of the characters are, in my opinion, very vague.

At this point, I think you're harsher on the film than SMG.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm starting to get the impression that genre is something like a collection of commonly associated story elements rather than a set of perfectly differentiable categories.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RBA Starblade posted:

So we can blame Snyder for it eh, I see

I have literally seen that take in the wild.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Spidersmen aren't a problem in and of themselves, but you don't get many unless they can find food.

Seeing them in significant numbers might indicate an underlying pest problem.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That was two months ago.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

2house2fly posted:

Are things looking good for them? At the end of the last Antman movie she dissolved into dust, trapping him in the Quantum Realm

These things happen in a relationship.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Expecting any form of positive leftist representation in superhero media will let you down, black or not. The very idea of the superhero is right-wing fantasy - we are literally watching media about a superior class of people who are forced to enact their non-democratic will upon the the general populace to save us from our enemies.

That's a too specific view of superheroism that concedes too much to the chuds. Superman building public housing or stopping domestic abuse or fighting fascists from space isn't him being "forced to enact his will," it's him making an ethical decision.

Likewise, if I can afford to buy a dozen boxes of canned food, that factually puts me in a "superior class" than people who'd go hungry. Am I living a right-wing fantasy if I donate those cans to a food shelter?

Positive leftist representation in superhero media is unlikely because positive leftist representation in any media is unlikely.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

A superhero, because they possess by themselves more power than most (if not all) nations on Earth, is permanently on top of the political hierarchy of the planet. We have no ability to coerce Superman to do what we want. Yeah, maybe he does nothing and our lives proceed as they are, but that is his choice. Everything we do becomes colored by knowing he could change everything on the planet if he wanted too. Ultimately, what I am saying is that superheroes are rightwing because they irreversibly disconnect political power (ultimate political power) from democracy. The status quo results not from the uneasy balances of power between the masses but the consent of godlike individuals who can't be extricated from their positions. Eternally.

Political power is frequently disconnected from democracy, so "what if someone could match the government" can not be exclusively an anti-democratic or rightwing fantasy. When Superman tears down shoddily build Chapter 11 apartments and replaces them with affordable public housing he's not disconnecting "political power from democracy" — on the contrary, he's enforcing that connection against the wishes of the politically powerful.

To say "it's well and good that Superman sided with the people at that time, but he could choose to do act against them" is to miss the metaphor. Superheroes represent things. When Superman builds a neighborhood textually the character of Superman is making a choice on how to employ his powers, but symbolically he represents the public will overpowering governmental greed and self interest.

(A lot of the more famous superheroes have been in thousands of stories, so what a given superhero means for any given one may change, but the principle holds.)

There's an argument that anthropomorphizing ideologies as Powerful People Who Get Things Done is problematic or promotes strongmanism or whatever, but the solution to that is better literacy, not conceding one of the most popular genres to the chuds.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 17, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Everyone posted:

True but I can see the idea of super-heroism being right-wing because it welds together two concepts that are essentially oppositional. Super-beings have gained enormous power to make drastic, unilateral changes in the worlds in which they live. Storm from the X-men (or possibly Thor) could bring enough rain to terraform the Middle East and Saharan Africa into jungles if they wished. However, superheroes put those incredible powers for change in the service of maintaining the status quo except for the most incremental things? Why? Because a normal superhero story is basically "our world, but with super-people in it."

I don't think that's necessarily true. There are plenty of stories where superheroes make or have made drastic changes to the world.

That in most stories the status quo is restored or upheld is largely because of their perpetual nature under comic book companies and later mass media conglomerates, but that's not inherent to superhero stories but their production.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DeimosRising posted:

Have you read marvelman/miracleman btw

Yes, but it's been a while. The first half was quite good if held back a little by Alan Moore's over-indulgence (and getting a little to convoluted with the aliens) but the latter half was really excellent.

As much as Miracleman is the counterexample to super status quo, you really don't have to go that far. Sticking with Moore, V for Vendetta just concerns the politics of some small island nation. The big thing is that it's generally much easier to plot out a satisfying narrative if your story is allowed to end.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

kazil posted:

There's no way that original tweet didn't select those exact panels just to bait out the "omg that's ugly" replies (because they are ugly)

?????

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
What cut of JL do I need to watch to see Steppenwolf wearing a pimp coat and a Jughead hat?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If all you want is any movie of some specific super hero, the odds of you getting that are about as high as they've ever been, but there's no guarantee about anything else.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

YaketySass posted:

movie ending with Tobey replacing Holland and saying "who the hell is Tony Stark?"

josh04 posted:

"The arms dealer?"

You joke, but Homecoming already had "isn't Captain America a war criminal?" so I could totally see the new film saying that.

(And then never following up on it.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Collapsing Farts posted:

Adults go to disney? Like, without kids?

I know Disneyland is super kid-and-family oriented, but all that aside it is a theme park.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I feel I usually encounter "the MCU is failing" as, like, an aspirational statement.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We already have 'grimdark' for this.

That's another word that barely means anything.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be clear, that killed floppy mostly superhero comic books. Manga and more slice of life graphic novels like Raina Telgemeier's stuff is not only loving huge but also moved into classrooms which wasn't something comics were doing in the 90s.

Not so! I distinctly remember being given a comic in school about fire safety.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"DC" is too broad a category.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

However, I will be taking the unprecedented step of permanently removing all apples from the game. (We pause for a moment as the twelve apples are placed in a small wicker basket, and carried away by a well-trained golden retriever.) Now neither film is good.

If I follow your logic, the golden retriever is a very good dog.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They need to release the dark and gritty Mr. Mxyzptlk played by Danny DeVito that we have all been waiting for.

You joke, but Allen Moore did a dark and gritty Mr. Mxyzptlk comic as a conclusion to the old silver age Superman stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NikkolasKing posted:

Nolan's Batman has always been idealized compared to others. For example, Batman's "One Rule" - why does he not kill people? TDK would have us believe it's because of his unbending, unyielding moral code.

TDK ends with Batman killing someone.