Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Piell posted:

"They want to be slaves and love being slaves and trying to help them not be slaves or improve their conditons is silly and weird" was always sketchy, not just in the terms of slavery but in terms of the old British servant class

TBF, I don't think Hermione ever truly believed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Lord_Magmar posted:

Neither did Dobby, who does work at Hogwarts, but specifically appreciates having been freed and is asking for pay if I remember.

There's definitely a running theme of the British mid-to-upper class believing horrible things about their "lessers" unquestioningly. Whether or not that was intentional is another question altogether. On the one hand, Hermione. On the other hand, J.K. Rowling.

(I always like to point out that Doyle's Holmes stories are never about solving mysteries but gleeful racist scandal-mongering...)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Samovar posted:

I'm not going to deny that there are some. But all of them?

Watson is pretty much always just one breath away from telling you about skull calipers, and it gets worse from there depending on the story. Jungle pygmies? Yellow faces?

There is just one template for the remaining stories and that's ACD going "heehee look what I'm implying about the royal family". In those, there doesnt tend to be actual crimes or mysteries, just Holmes going through the motions.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I always read the resolution of Wakanda to be it publicly taking on the mantle of the colonizer, that it should aspire only to follow in the footsteps of its white betters.

I did not appreciate that message.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Part of the resolution is that Wakanda is a Shining City Upon the Hill But Black People Can Have One and I'm pretty sure even Obama-era whitey were well past. It's astonishingly retrograde even by that metric.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I guess we're moving on from "black bars on my screen" to "what is this poo poo in my subtitles" chat.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

stev posted:

But people were acting like this when MoS and BvS came out too.

Yeah no, the reason there is a snyder dome thread is because people who wanted to talk about snyder got quarantined into it, like the forums equivalent of a leper colony.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

stev posted:

Everyone rightly gives Marvel poo poo constantly.

Not even at the most pedantic did we delve into the legal mandates of subtitle text.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Spacebump posted:

Keaton was never confirmed for the Flash and is having doubts because of Covid. [url]https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/michael-keaton-explains-undecided-reprising-batman-role-the-flash[/url]

There's still time to get Val Kilmer

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

I hope the Suicide Squad credits teaser is a crossover with the Banana Splits.

Forget the Banana Splits and get on the next level with Bananas in Pajamas

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Darko posted:

Jor-El, secret crossover.

Allergic reaction from getting stung by Zod

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
"continuity notes"

Continuity to Joss Whedon's unused Wonder Woman spec script?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I mean there's a good chance he's been an alcoholic while on set but he's also an experienced, award-winning writer & director in his own right so I imagine he knows how things are supposed to run and how people are supposed to be treated.

As an actor Affleck has 77 acting credits listed in his imdb entry (with but one listing for multiple episodes of a TV show). It's not on the scale of some of the more prolific "get me to the catering table" actors but that is a loving ton and he's been active much longer than Whedon and under way more varied circumstances.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

BP treats the rest of Africa--that is, the Africa that actually exists--as a blank, violent, ahistorical backdrop for Wakanda.

The film weaves all of this together to push a narrative that colonialism and racism is fine, actually, and that is as vile and close to the original sin of our world as it gets.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh sure, I understand that representation isn't nothing. I'm saying that this movie ultimately doesn't have better politics than, like, Rambo 3. So the culture war around it, like all kulturkampf, is very dumb and bad.

Rambo 3 has way better politics than Black Panther, since up until 4 or 5 or whatever Rambo has always been about the futility and consequences of foreign adventurism. I'm not sure there's much meat on them bones to look at 4 or Final Blood.

If a modern movie merely stumbled into one of the 3 central pillars of justifications for colonialism, we would give it the side eye. Black Panther went there and made it a core part of the identity of the movie.

Black Panther literally presents the world view that the natives are dirty violent rabble who don't own or deserve anything so they should have someone go in and civilize them. In Black Panther, it's actually worse, because it's also all mixed up in that respectability politics poo poo so it basically says that black people EVERYWHERE needs someone to go in and civilize them.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 5, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yeah, if we're saying that he's a slightly less self-aware Bane, who is already fairly problematic, except we're also wrapping him in the flag of black liberation, hoo boy

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Even saying T'Challa should pay "reparations" is disgusting as hell. Just as having Wakandan build STEM centers, or moving black people to Liberia.

This is a problem created by white man, and declaring this problem solved via black magic is neither restorative nor justice.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 8, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/actnormalorelse/status/1404538032993230851?s=21

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
One thing you have to think about is how much of WW84 was put together and dictated Not To Be Changed by DC/WB execs prior to handing it to Jenkins. For example, the Bat-brand from BvS (as well as the title of BvS) was set before Snyder or Terrio had anything to do with it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Roth posted:

I just remembered the take that people had that Batman should just invest his money and crimefighting gadgets in the GCPD.

:eyepop:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

very narrow alleys.

:golfclap:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Look at someone who's never had stinky tofu

Guy A. Person posted:

Winter Soldier Infinity War Shang-chi is just like a 70’s spy thriller Godfather movie wuxia film, Marvel is really letting their directors play around in different genres, it’s an exciting time to be alive

But this time they're letting the director do location shooting

wait, that's not this movie

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

It looks like Marvel's Jupiter's Legacy.

At first I thought your post said Jupiter Ascending and I thought "now them's fighting' words"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Klungar posted:

Who’s that on the left? Don’t remember them from the trailers.

Naomie Harris as Shriek, secondary villain in the movie. Not shown in the trailer, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Less that than like, Ozymandias becoming a financial titan through merchandising.