Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

KennyMan666 posted:

There is now a list of recommendations in the second post. If you believe some run is glaringly absent from this list, let me know.

Pien by Swordfish4649

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

KennyMan666 posted:

There is now a list of recommendations in the second post. If you believe some run is glaringly absent from this list, let me know.

L4D2 run was good poo poo. RIP Ellis.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

haha, i concur with this rec

i slept through awful block, but were there really only a few good runs? i remember in previous years almost all of them being worth it.

in fact the only one i saw live was Wand Of Gamelon All Cutscenes and, uhhhhh, it shows all the cutscenes, you absolutely should watch it

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

A lot of Awful block was good but perhaps not as memorable as before? Mr.Bones was one of the best runs of the event for sure, and now I see that I forgot to mention Alcatraz as one of the great runs, definitely check that one out too.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Trying to pick some out I haven't seen mentioned recently (haven't looked at the OP in a while though):

River City Girls had the devs on commentary and a lot of cool info
Golden Sun was comfy and fun, if you're the kind of person who's cool with 4 hour RPG runs
Yakuza 6 had great commentary and Rugby Baby
The Messenger was a neat game I hadn't heard of with really cool movement that was fun to watch

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

WhiteHowler posted:

I still have some VOD catching up to do, but my favorite runs from AGDQ 2021:

- Just Cause 3 (rear end in a top hat Physics™) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnlGqq2Uh2I

lmao, rear end in a top hat physics is a very good and apt sales pitch, thank you

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i haven't seen either mentioned so i would like to shine a light on the Wild Arms and Braid runs which were imo both badass

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

pmcTRILOGY posted:

lmao, rear end in a top hat physics is a very good and apt sales pitch, thank you

Did we actually miss a part of the run due to the technical issues or did you stop for the time being?

I enjoyed the run a lot live, I'll still have to catch the VOD but it was very good, even though I did not probably expect to like a Just Cause run so much! That just goes to show you GDQ can always surprise even when you might not be a huge fan of some certain game genre.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 10, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

KennyMan666 posted:

otogi was really good imo, weird game w good commentary

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

TeaJay posted:

Did we actually miss a part of the run due to the technical issues or did you stop for the time being?

I enjoyed the run a lot live, I'll still have to catch the VOD but it was very good, even though I did not probably expect to like a Just Cause run so much! That just goes to show you GDQ can always surprise even when you might not be a huge fan of some certain game genre.

So from the the run VOD on GDQ's youtube, it cuts out as I'm first approaching the Sky Fortress and then picks up again after I've destroyed about 10 objects. At that point a GDQ staffer jumped into the discord call on their phone and told us of the outage on GDQ's end and I paused the game.

If you're curious what the missing bit looks like, here's my PB timestamped to the part of the run where it cut off: https://twitch.tv/videos/833184143?t=1664s

I've definitely had a lot of feedback from people who weren't expecting to enjoy a Just Cause run and I appreciate that a lot!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

yeah that was a lot of fun.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

KennyMan666 posted:

I really enjoyed Otogi for the commentary.

(They gave the game so much poo poo.)

Also seconding the L4D2 run.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Braid run was the guy using his schools comp sci room so there was a lot of CLACKACLACKA

e: run was good tho

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Doc Hawkins posted:

haha, i concur with this rec

i slept through awful block, but were there really only a few good runs? i remember in previous years almost all of them being worth it.

in fact the only one i saw live was Wand Of Gamelon All Cutscenes and, uhhhhh, it shows all the cutscenes, you absolutely should watch it

These are the ones I saw and can comment on:

Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon - Amazing cutscenes, good commentary (especially some of the first time reactions)

King's Quest VIII: Mask of Eternity - broken game, but kind of dull to watch and the commentary couldn't carry it

Pinobee: Wings of Adventure - weird game, carried by good energy in the commentary

Epic Dumpster Bear 2: He Who Bears Wins - an enjoyable race of what looked like a solid speed game using stock unity assets

Snow White in Happily Ever After - another weird looking game, but the commentary couldn't carry it

Mr. Bones - amazing game, amazing commentary

Sammy Suricate in Lion Land - the kind of indie game you expect to see in awful block, paired with some wonderfully deadpan commentary

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

pmcTRILOGY posted:

I didn't know you were a goon -- that was an amazing run with great commentary from you and your "couch".

Do you run any of the other games from the series? Just Cause 2 is one of my all-time favorite games, and I thought JC3 was a solid game that deserved better recognition than it got. JC4 was even okay.

Edit: I'm dumb.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 11, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i forgot about michael jordan's biggest real life enemy, dr. maximus cranium

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pinobee's constantly growing head is visually disgusting.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

WhiteHowler posted:

I didn't know you were a goon -- that was an amazing run with great commentary from you and your "couch".

Do you run any of the other games from the series? Just Cause 2 is one of my all-time favorite games, and I thought JC3 was a solid game that deserved better recognition than it got. JC4 was pretty okay. Not entirely sure what happened with JC5, but it would be a better fit in the Awful Block.

Thanks!

I have done full runs of the first Just Cause, which remains the only game in the series that lets you just plow through all the missions without having to grind anything (points, provinces, army units). I've tried searching JC2 a few times for ways to get around having to do a full chaos point grind for Any%, but never came up with anything. JC4 is fine, but so many missions are sitting in a place waiting for a bar to fill. I never ended up finishing any runs for it.

I... don't think there's a Just Cause 5? There was a Just Cause Mobile announced recently but that's mostly just Square Enix cashing the license.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/clip/KitschyEnergeticRavenTheRinger

pie got absolutely robbed of at least 3rd place in the mario 35 showcase, i've watched this clip like two dozen times and legit have no fuckin idea what happened here

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Stop the steal!

People were also pretty convinced there was a ko that didn't get counted for auth

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I was watching the Alcatraz VOD earlier and saw a bonus game incentive graphic pop up at the bottom of the screen. "Oh man, pretty low, I hope they make it before tonight!" I thought, before remembering that it's over :smith:

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/clip/KitschyEnergeticRavenTheRinger

pie got absolutely robbed of at least 3rd place in the mario 35 showcase, i've watched this clip like two dozen times and legit have no fuckin idea what happened here

Looks like stomping on the Bullet Bill while he was in the middle of the downward motion on the spring changed his inertia when he popped back up?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

JethroMcB posted:

I was watching the Alcatraz VOD earlier and saw a bonus game incentive graphic pop up at the bottom of the screen. "Oh man, pretty low, I hope they make it before tonight!" I thought, before remembering that it's over :smith:

Looks like stomping on the Bullet Bill while he was in the middle of the downward motion on the spring changed his inertia when he popped back up?

that was what i thought at first, however he had a star and you can't stomp enemies with a star

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

pmcTRILOGY posted:

I... don't think there's a Just Cause 5? There was a Just Cause Mobile announced recently but that's mostly just Square Enix cashing the license.
Sorry, I'm stupid, for some reason I was thinking of the new Serious Sam, which is embarrassingly bad.

Yeah, 4 was okay, and I remember being disappointed that its reception probably means no JC5 anytime soon.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I am biased, but of the runs I hosted for:

- Thief 2 was a banger and had some guys really tearing apart the game.
- Comfort Zone is an excellent SMW romhack mod that has some really cool movement tech.
- X-Men Arcade is someone taking an absurdly hard beat-em-up and completely demolishing it.
- Super Orb Bros. is an SMB3 romhack mod that does things you've never seen with that engine and it's a WR.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Not having Punchy and his deedly-boppers on the list with the Silent Hill 3 run seems like a crime.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Drone posted:

Not having Punchy and his deedly-boppers on the list with the Silent Hill 3 run seems like a crime.

My favourite run so far next to Mr Bones! I like bread.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I had my pc hooked up to my TV all week and I still wished I watched more.

Rugby Baby was a personal hilight.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

KennyMan666 posted:

I think the Diablo 3 co-op run ought to be there, the tactics are very cool and setting a record so hard that they beat the WR that has a whole extra person was a very fun ending.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
There were a bunch of great runs that have been recommended -- blind SM64, OHKO Megaman, all of awful block -- but since I haven't seen them mentioned I'd like to add

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - A brief half-hour of absurd Source engine OOB shenanigans.
The Messenger - A very good Ninja Gaiden-esque speedgame from 2018. The run was just fast and good and well-commented.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 11, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just started the Celeste run and the description doesn't match what's going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_3f3q1bybQ

It's a Celeste C-side speedrun...using DDR pads...and collecting golden berries

I am rooting for the guy so hard! But I also...want him...to lose a life in 7C

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Another very technically impressive run was Mario Golf where Bluekandy just did whatever he wanted on those courses and was a really nice guy on top of it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7j9evBTOeM

Also if I didn't mention it already, but MGS: Twin snakes if simply for the joy of Bradderfield doing the donations in the character voices. Had me laughing quite a bit. (run is also pretty good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FelNu_qbrJI

"It's time."

I also already recommended the MGS 4 run but the highlight might be The Gate Eater song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obDyRIyoD_g&t=2499s

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 11, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Aside from Gate Eater that whole section is good cause the runner is like one step away from death and it gets so dicey.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

There were a bunch of great runs that have been recommended -- blind SM64, OHKO Megaman, all of awful block -- but since I haven't seen them mentioned I'd like to add

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - A brief half-hour of absurd Source engine OOB shenanigans.
The Messenger - A very good Ninja Gaiden-esque speedgame from 2018. The run was just fast and good and well-commented.

The Dark messiah run was especially fun. Zip-zop-a-bim-bom

I think havrd (the commentator ^^) is one of my unsung favourites, he also ran Nikita on this event and Asghan: The Dragon slayer at SGDQ 2020, which was even more hilarious. He's more known to people who have watched ESA and was also involved in the classic ESA GeoGuessr run.

Another good one I can add is Sathdresh's Dracula II: Noroi no Fuuin (aka Simon's quest FDS version) which oddly enough was not in the Castlevania block. But it includes a trip to Glitchtown too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq5cyf0aRSg

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 11, 2021

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Alright, list updated with the latest bunch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this neopets run on the bonus stream is OOT level of broken

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
One of my go-to poo poo to play in the background are Mario Kaizo runs and MFP's Super Orb Bros. run just made my head loving explode. :psyduck:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Man, I was watching the Sekiro race and was incredibly awed by how much the runners were in sync... until they restarted the race and I realized they were showing the same screen for both

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

AlternateNu posted:

One of my go-to poo poo to play in the background are Mario Kaizo runs and MFP's Super Orb Bros. run just made my head loving explode. :psyduck:

oops! world record!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Doc Hawkins posted:

oops! world record!

By half! By loving half!

Just like..."Yeah. I've never played it that well before. Coolsies."