Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Forgall posted:

Beastars, or as I like to call it, Paru Itagaki's Incorrect Animal Facts Hour.
Protect your sanity by replacing every instance of the word "carnivore" with "vampire".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Electric Phantasm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5Wuv-2Pf4

I remember this coming up a few times, it's good, right? I like the concept.

it's ok. there's some fun ideas and cute designs and some of the characters are neat, but i got kinda bored with how character relationships are written and some of the jokes kinda suck. not in an abhorrent way but in a, there's one scene that's mildly weird about lesbians way

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5Wuv-2Pf4

I remember this coming up a few times, it's good, right? I like the concept.

I like it well enough. For me the manga kind of feels like someone took Maidragon, inverted the premise, and gave it lower highs but also less gross lolicon/shotacon stuff. Hits some similar kind of Fantastical Found Family buttons. Nothing to lose my mind over but good enough that I'll give the show a look at least.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Speaking of which, this week's episode was v. good.

Guess the animal.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Spiritus Nox posted:

I like it well enough. For me the manga kind of feels like someone took Maidragon, inverted the premise, and gave it lower highs but also less gross lolicon/shotacon stuff. Hits some similar kind of Fantastical Found Family buttons. Nothing to lose my mind over but good enough that I'll give the show a look at least.

I just read the latest update and I'm not quite sure I could explain what the point of the story is, other than "a thing happens, the witch reluctantly resolves it, a new girl joins her family" rinse, repeat. It's decent, but not particularly exciting and honestly feels like it's just been treading water for a while now.

That being said, the anime would at least be covering the early parts of the story before things got stale, so it should be worth taking a look at.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Xelkelvos posted:

Guess the animal.

Bat.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No they already did bats, which are pegasi, but don't get too hung up on the details.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Xelkelvos posted:

Guess the animal.

The ears make me think Axolotl

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

No they already did bats, which are pegasi, but don't get too hung up on the details.

Pegasus Ultimate Final Revision FOREVER.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I like the light novel enough as quick filler even if the lead does feel like she should be more in a 00's anime/light novel in regards to getting the hint about members of the cast loving her. I'm hoping the anime can fix that though the last time I was hoping an anime would fix a Light Novel that I had some quibbles with I got the Make My Abilities average anime :(

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I like the light novel enough as quick filler even if the lead does feel like she should be more in a 00's anime/light novel in regards to getting the hint about members of the cast loving her. I'm hoping the anime can fix that though the last time I was hoping an anime would fix a Light Novel that I had some quibbles with I got the Make My Abilities average anime :(

I've vaguely heard bad things about that one. What happened?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

Guess the animal.

Owl? Just thinking based on the eyes.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

Adaption just added a bunch of new anime original stuff that was terrible and the visuals/animation was mostly bland.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Horimiya is pretty good. The two leads are basically a married couple, they just don't realize it yet and I'm only 2 episodes in.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

This week's Horimiya felt like they were trying to cram way too many different things into a single episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Owl? Just thinking based on the eyes.

It's this. Neck rotates180 degrees and the ears are smushed to make the new face as the owl's face shape helps act as a receiver for sound.

Tamba posted:

This week's Horimiya felt like they were trying to cram way too many different things into a single episode.

Yeah, there was just a bunch of stuff and it splitting its focus between the relationship of the secondary characters and Hori and Miyamura's relationship deepening and going to the next step.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If Tomozaki breaks book girl's heart I'm going to get real mad, so mad it drives me mad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

they added an evil predatory adult lesbian to this anime about a bunch of like 14 year olds being friends. this literally isnt a character that exists in the original they just made her up and had her do evil predatory lesbian things. its the most bizarre adaptational addition ive seen since the kuma miko ending

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

So basically the studio misunderstood the title as "Didn't I Say to Make My Anime Adaptation Average in the Next Life?!"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think it's so much that the main character of slime witch doesn't realize as, the story kind of tosses away the idea that it might ever seriously explore that side of the character dynamics early on when they have a gag that's literally just the sexy elf getting high on mushrooms and chasing her through a forest as she yells about how she's straight and would never want to kiss a woman

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh nice, Horimiya adapted That Scene really well this episode. I was wondering how it'd survive the transition between manga and anime.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ibblebibble posted:

Oh nice, Horimiya adapted That Scene really well this episode. I was wondering how it'd survive the transition between manga and anime.

....so what is THAT scene anyways? :raise:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Julias posted:

....so what is THAT scene anyways? :raise:

They bang. It was written really well in the manga and I was hopeful that the anime would capture the same intimacy.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

Guess the animal.

Shirley Temple

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
this week on wixoss:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

They bang. It was written really well in the manga and I was hopeful that the anime would capture the same intimacy.

It's a fairly tasteful and subtle fade to black. It's slightly more obvious in the post credits part since both Hori and Miyamura are both bare shouldered in her room discussing the bite mark.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 22, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Be mindful of posting spoilers in the seasonal thread, especially unmarked ones!

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Kemono Jihen: Welp, I don't blame Spider-boy for freaking out about giant bugs when you see Mothman going to town on your chained mother

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Forgall posted:

Beastars, or as I like to call it, Paru Itagaki's Incorrect Animal Facts Hour.

It its the Itagaki's bloodline power to write up completely bullshit facts about things and you just accepting it

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I should sit down and watch Horimiya.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

I should sit down and watch Horimiya.

:yeah:
it's good

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

They are very good goofballs indeed.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Rudoku posted:

Kemono Jihen: Welp, I don't blame Spider-boy for freaking out about giant bugs when you see Mothman going to town on your chained mother

There's a separate thread for this show now. And yes, it's a really hosed-up situation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1364218133645561858

the new dragon maid director is tatsuya ishihara, the euphonium/chuunibyou director.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
My poor dumb skater boys. I had been wondering if we were gonna get an ep or two of Reki feeling jealous or outclassed while Langa keeps behaving like a puppy.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1364218133645561858

the new dragon maid director is tatsuya ishihara, the euphonium/chuunibyou director.

:eyepop:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Not terribly surprising, IMO - I really enjoyed Ishihara's work on Nichijou and I think a similar energy would work reasonably well with Maidragon. That said, Kvin later said that the plan is apparently to try in keep in line with the work Takemoto had already done for the series before the disaster in 2019 and his overall style. Hope it comes together well, whatever my mixed feelings about the overall franchise are these days.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I'm cautiously optimistic that Maiddragon will still be good, this is a good sign that it'll at least be visually consistent with the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/status/1364909090107887616?s=19

...huh.