Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

padded shorts and pads for the knews elbows and wrists came in so i headed back to the park

they saved my rear end, quite literally from 5 otherwise session ending falls

i dropped in on the 4 foot vert and did a transfer over the spine a bunch and then i hit the 6 or 8 foot, couldnt really tell, for the first time in like over a decade for the first time.

felt good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

giant bubble on my shin lol the one place not padded

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Internaut! posted:

turns out it's way harder to lose weight as a dad with 2 kids who need to eat 5 times a day while getting you sick with their kindergarten germs on the reg and demanding all your free time from sunup to sundown

don't get fat boys, trust me there are downsides 👍🏻

I feel like I’m on the edge of fatness right now. trying to reverse course

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

did some deadlifts today at 315lbs. felt good.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Was doing some 45degree bench dumbell presses yesterday, I got distracted in the middle of set 4 and the left drifted backwards past arms vertical, had to struggle to get it back upright and ouch my shoulder is complaining today. Concentration!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Was doing some 45degree bench dumbell presses yesterday, I got distracted in the middle of set 4 and the left drifted backwards past arms vertical, had to struggle to get it back upright and ouch my shoulder is complaining today. Concentration!

Yikes. I got tired at the end of a set of squats and I think I rounded my back a little at the bottom of my last rep and it’s been bothering me all week

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

akadajet posted:

:hellyeah:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

akadajet posted:

oh nice

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i got a lat pulldown bar and oh boy is it nice to get in that 8rep failure range rather than trying to bang out 5 chinups but only being able to do 2 and 3/4

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’ve recovered from my birthday/vacation weight gain. down 21 lbs now. my pants fit worse and worse all the time

now to try and get through 3 weeks where I can’t lift anything or sit on a bike.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’ve recovered from my birthday/vacation weight gain. down 21 lbs now. my pants fit worse and worse all the time

now to try and get through 3 weeks where I can’t lift anything or sit on a bike.

Down a similar amount of weight, and right now I'm basically living in denial that my jeans don't fit anymore. Having a belt without holes definitely helps maintain the illusion, but I know that eventually I'm going to have to actually get a new wardrobe.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I had just bought myself pants in January too. gonna have to get out the needle and thread.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just had A1C results come back. I am no longer in the “pre-diabetes“ range like I was in December. It’s back to normal. Phew

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

i got a lat pulldown bar and oh boy is it nice to get in that 8rep failure range rather than trying to bang out 5 chinups but only being able to do 2 and 3/4

I love the assisted pull-up machine. Before I gained some weight I could maybe bang out 5 to 8 reps but with the machine I can really focus on going all the way down and engaging the right muscles with each rep

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

akadajet posted:

Just had A1C results come back. I am no longer in the “pre-diabetes“ range like I was in December. It’s back to normal. Phew

Silver Alicorn posted:

I had just bought myself pants in January too. gonna have to get out the needle and thread.

Congrats to both of y’all :hellyeah:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ADINSX posted:

I love the assisted pull-up machine. Before I gained some weight I could maybe bang out 5 to 8 reps but with the machine I can really focus on going all the way down and engaging the right muscles with each rep

I used the one at the gym before i was able to do non assisted pull-ups. worked as advertised, would recommend

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

akadajet posted:

I used the one at the gym before i was able to do non assisted pull-ups. worked as advertised, would recommend

Some people use rubber bands but that seems so clumsy to me, plus what if they snapped right near my face :ohdear:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ADINSX posted:

Some people use rubber bands but that seems so clumsy to me, plus what if they snapped right near my face :ohdear:

I’ve seen enough videos of people getting slapped in the nuts with bands to try that.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I ran across an old FB post of mine where I was bragging about finally hitting 16 pull ups in a row, and how I was shooting for 20. Nowadays, getting in 2 solid pull-ups in a row is a rare feat. Granted, even after all my weight loss this year I'm still 42 pounds heaver than I was back then, but I don't know if I'll ever get back to that level...

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im getting fat from beer again

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

akadajet posted:

I’ve seen enough videos of people getting slapped in the nuts with bands to try that.

Oh god I didn’t even consider that

I did a light set of 3x10 squats last night, along with some incline bench and rows. My strength is down after losing about 10 pounds and my stress and sleep has been horrible with the baby, so I’m just trying to maintain right now and put gains on pause

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

don't stand on the bands, rest your knees/shins on them and the chances of nut damage are greatly reduced

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ADINSX posted:

Oh god I didn’t even consider that

I did a light set of 3x10 squats last night, along with some incline bench and rows. My strength is down after losing about 10 pounds and my stress and sleep has been horrible with the baby, so I’m just trying to maintain right now and put gains on pause

maintenance workouts are still just as good as regular workouts for mental health if not necessarily phyiscal, keep it up

i really want to get back to 3x a week (for gains and also staving off feeling down) but my (regular, cheap) gym is just far enough walking where that's inconvenient. i am at 1-2 times a week rn and i feel great each time

when the weather's nicer i can bike and itll be fine

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

started jumping rope again. my calves are very pissed at this development but already they are less pissed than after day 1.

working out is good friends.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

don't stand on the bands, rest your knees/shins on them and the chances of nut damage are greatly reduced

or just use the machine most gyms have. It’s right over there.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sure, the machine is obviously better but if you don't have one, or are at home, you can use resistance bands on a pull-up bar with your knees and there's little risk of testicular destruction

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

Sure, the machine is obviously better but if you don't have one, or are at home, you can use resistance bands on a pull-up bar with your knees and there's little risk of testicular destruction

fair enough

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

akadajet posted:

i've been using this style of band several times a week for a couple of years and haven't ever wrecked my nuts with them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1823XB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

back riding to work for about a month and now back at the gym finally

Internaut! posted:

turns out it's way harder to lose weight as a dad with 2 kids who need to eat 5 times a day while getting you sick with their kindergarten germs on the reg and demanding all your free time from sunup to sundown

agreed it's really hard

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

weigh-in at the doctor's office today has me under 210 for the first time since the pandemic, and that includes putting on a bunch of muscle too :c00l:

Only 30 more to go and I'll be back at my ~2016-era weight, oof

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yeah the weight loss is an uphill struggle the older you get. 2019 pre-lockdown I'd got down to 217lbs at 6ft3, trimmest I'd looked in ages - lots of jogger/skier/rower machines at the gym. Then two years of not moving from my chair at home basically and up to 260lbs.

Hit the gym again June last year and did a bunch of weights (and very little cardio tbh) and I'm now sitting at 230lbs and absolutely stuck there. Like Dijk here^^ I reckon I've put a good amount of muscle on that I didn't have pre-lockdown fitness, but still I have a half-inch layer of fat on the chest and stomach and especially the 'above the hips / lower back chunk region' that is proving impossible to shift.

I know if I hit the treadmill and rower again as well as the weights I could probably move the needle a bit, but just keeping up with two or three 80min sessions a week of lifting is all my willpower.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

well done to all of you!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

NoneMoreNegative rocking the 6 pack and the drip

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
had a volleyball double header last night and did deadlifts today, my legs are useless right now lmao

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had to carry a pitching machine today. it was heavy

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
hosed my back up earlier in the week trying some new fangled deadlift bar, turns out i should have started with lower weight who could have guessed. back was feeling good this weekend and the snows gone and the weathers nice again so got the first trail run in for the season today :buddy:

goal is to do a half marathon in fall here's hoping i dont gently caress it up biking again

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m almost back to the weight I was before I started getting it down last year, this sucks haha

I think I can get back to exercising now if I’m careful, time to get on the bike

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i gained a lot of weight during covid, probably like 50lbs or so. started a diet, and already lost a decent amount of weight (that was mostly because i wasn't eating due anxiety but now i'm probably at a pound a week).

i'm working out too. any good books i should read about home resistance training? i started doing a basic workout with some dumbbells, just 5 lbs for now. i've got 8 lb weights too but i'm not sure what to do after that and i also want to make sure i'm not missing anything.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
For home stuff anything by Pavel is probably good,

https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=Tsatsouline&qid=PGblmWdH17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My quest to hit a sub-10 minute one-mile run continues with weekly runs on Sunday. I basically do my normal 4-mile walk around the lake, but pick 1 mile out of it to run. I've clearly hit the end of the easy gains, where the simple fact that I was actually running at all was making my body less-terrible at it. This week was the first time since I started doing this regularly that my run was slower than the week before. My poor performance was exacerbated by missing all of my training the week before.

That said, the weight loss is still chugging along heartily. One side-effect is that my pull-ups are significantly better. I was struggling to get in a single good rep before, but now I am up to 3 in a row without issue. Still a long way to go there as well, but it's nice to have these very visible kind of improvements every now and then.