Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

definitely still too tight to wear around town, but I can now get shirts from My Thin Era at least buttoned up again, which is extremely motivating :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

definitely still too tight to wear around town, but I can now get shirts from My Thin Era at least buttoned up again, which is extremely motivating :c00l:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the way you capitalized that I thought it was a brand

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I mean, this too :smith:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm down a bit over 20lbs, which puts me at where i was when we moved to socal in november of 2021. i've been using wegovy for the past few months and it's been really helpful and has made the whole calorie-counting thing infinitely easier. it basically just makes me not as hungry, generally speaking. i get full faster, i don't get hungry at night at all, and it's really just made eating the right amount of food not _trivial_ but so, so, so much more pleasant than it has been in the past. i started counting calories in january of this year and the difference just in how much i have to think about what i'm doing - and how much willpower it takes to stay on track - is night and day.

my back hurts less, i breathe better at night, i look better, things are just going pretty well. i'm still not lifting weights or tossing kettlebells around or even going on walks like i should be, but man. things are just nice. i am very interested to see where i am in another few months. when i was rock climbing and lifting and all that stuff, i was 170. i think i could get there again, though i can't imagine that i'd be near as strong what with not really exercising or anything. but one step at a time. that's more than six months in the future at my current rate, though, so it's not really worth thinking about too much.

right now my milestones are basically every 15 pounds, 'cause that's where i tend to plateau for a couple weeks (followed by rapid loss that evens out to what i'm eating for). so i expect to be around this weight for a bit before i drop again, but even so it's gonna be pretty exciting the first time i see a number less than 200 on that scale for the first time in years.

anyway that's where i'm at these days
i started ozempic and all what you are saying is true, especially the night cravings. its wild. i don't see food as a means to get a buzz anymore, and even with working out and burning calories I don't come out of the work out wanting to devour everything in sight. my whole relationship with food has changed. makes me understand what these effortlessly skinny people must have been feeling their whole life. the "food noise" in my head is gone. I used to get really hangry, distractedly so, and it would make my whole body uncomfortable. like, my back and neck would hurt and i couldn't just power through it. now on injection days i kinda forget to eat. its wild. and the science of how the molecule works is really wild. it like, hacks your receptors in three places

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I don’t think I’ve ever experienced night cravings. that sounds rough.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

:same:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yep it's the injectable stuff and it owns. my insurance pays for it; im very lucky in that capacity

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it sounds nice. I bet I’d have a hard time getting approval for it though since I’m only slightly overweight. I think I’ll be able to handle it my own though when I get ready to lose the weight.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the only tghing im injecting is jelly into some donuts

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

what the duece

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah, i'm only slightly overweight too - i got my prescription from a telehealth deal and have been happy with things thus far. but i mean, it depends on how slightly 'slightly' is i guess. im not and haven't been, uh, midwest heavy - according to BMI I've been 'overweight' but not 'obese.' and i have short legs and a long torso, which naively makes me think that my healthy weight would correspond to a higher bmi anyway. but 220 to 170, even if obesity isn't involved, is still almost a fourth of my body weight and the help is nice

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 7, 2023

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah, i'm only slightly overweight too - i got my prescription from a telehealth deal and have been happy with things thus far. but i mean, it depends on how slightly 'slightly' is i guess. im not and haven't been, uh, midwest heavy - according to BMI I've been 'overweight' but not 'obese.' and i have short legs and a long torso, which naively makes me think that my healthy weight would correspond to a higher bmi anyway. but 220 to 170, even if obesity isn't involved, is still almost a fourth of my body weight and the help is nice

yeah. if I struggle to drop weight I'll go ask my doctor about it. I'd be wanting to go from 200 to 170 at 5'10" height

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

akadajet posted:

Yesterday I finally did 5 reps of standing overhead press at 135lbs, but only for one set. Still feels good to be able to press 1 plate.

Very nice, I’m still trying to get a single rep overhead with one plate. My 1rm is like 125 :(

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

akadajet posted:

yeah. if I struggle to drop weight I'll go ask my doctor about it. I'd be wanting to go from 200 to 170 at 5'10" height

same except 210 to 180... gonna try low carbing and cutting alcohol and limiting eating out, last two have been difficult with 16 month old, i keep making excuses like "its fine the child is exhausting its just while shes still young" but its clearly not

i love my child but good god she is so much work

also i did 205x9 squats the other day which aint much but i think it was a PR or closest ive been to a PR in almost a decade so i felt good about that

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

same except 210 to 180... gonna try low carbing and cutting alcohol and limiting eating out, last two have been difficult with 16 month old, i keep making excuses like "its fine the child is exhausting its just while shes still young" but its clearly not

i love my child but good god she is so much work

also i did 205x9 squats the other day which aint much but i think it was a PR or closest ive been to a PR in almost a decade so i felt good about that

Give fresh and lean a try, I dropped about 10 pounds of fat just from eating out less. It’s not as cheap as cooking at home and the meals aren’t fantastic but it’s healthy and easy and cheaper than eating out

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

ADINSX posted:

Give fresh and lean a try, I dropped about 10 pounds of fat just from eating out less. It’s not as cheap as cooking at home and the meals aren’t fantastic but it’s healthy and easy and cheaper than eating out

this actually looks exactly like what ive also been searching for :cheers:

i hate hello fresh and the like because it feels super wasteful and like i can (and do) just buy the same poo poo at the store, wanted something that was healthy and ready-made meals for when were exhausted and just end up eating out but wasnt getting the right combination of search words. definitely gonna try it (assuming they deliver here)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Nice: I find the simple meat with vegetable side meals are the best, but I’ve been surprised. I haven’t had anything yet I’ve absolutely hated but in general the simpler the better

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Just did some deadlifts, ohp and lat pull-down. I’m gonna try some wrist straps, I don’t feel like my grip strength is increasing and I can’t get a good set in without mix grip. I have pretty small hands so it might just be bad genetics for me :(

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

akadajet posted:

Yesterday I finally did 5 reps of standing overhead press at 135lbs, but only for one set. Still feels good to be able to press 1 plate.

yo that is boss af, overhead press is hard

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

i went to the doctor for high bp right after my son was born, and she put me on a medium carb diet (my words not hers). not like keto level, but definitely cutting them down a bunch. thankfully i can stay at home with my son and that gives me enough freedom to stick to the diet pretty easily. counting the calories with an app (i've been using myfitnesspal) is nice, i can just scan bar codes and add it in as i eat it, and can plan on having enough space for a good snack to make me feel less hungry. plus also a good food scale. that and i do a cheat meal every week, just order out whatever from a restaurant and don't bother counting calories starting with dinner.

but yeah if both my wife and i were working, it'd be super hard, if not impossible to stick with it like i have been.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 8, 2023

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
been doing greyskull for like 3 months now, started to struggle with recovery and just got bored overall with the program so i figured it was time for a change. did my first day of barbell medicine bridge program and felt pretty good. excited to see where i’m at after the 12 weeks or whatever that it runs for.

think after that i wanna start fuckin around with some olympic lifts. they look pretty fun and the explosiveness will probably transfer over to my vertical jump more than just grinding heavy squats have been so far

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

finding a good workout (whatever it may be) that keeps you enthused and at it is the most important thing ime

i do think sticking to something for longer than 3mo is better but thats long enough to know if youll like it i guess

i also like the extreme rote and boringness of 5x5 style stuff, its good for sorta meditating-while-working-out

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I am still doing the SBS Strength RTF program and something I really like about it is that it shows you a definite end e.g. you're trying to hit X in 21 weeks, here is what you are aiming for day by day.

Also he had this great post about accessories.

https://www.facebook.com/gregory.nuckols/posts/10154143221983779

quote:

Bro tip:

Don't like thinking too much about how to progress your accessory lifts that you mainly include for hypertrophy work?

Give this a shot. I've been using it for quite a while now, and I use it with almost all of my clients. It's simple, and works like a charm.

1. Start with a weight that's a ~12-15 rep max
2. Do 3 sets with that weight. Stop the first two about 1-2 reps shy of failure, and go to failure on the third set. Aim for at least 30 total reps.
3. Use the same weight next week, and aim to get at least one more total rep across the three sets. If your performance improves, even by just one rep, you're getting stronger and (most likely) growing.
4. When you can get 40 reps across 3 sets, add another set. Keep going until you can get 50 total reps across 4 sets.
5. When you can get 50 reps across 4 sets, add weight, and start back with 3 sets, aiming for at least 30 total reps.

This works like a charm, because:
a) It ensures you're never working too heavy with your hypertrophy work. Especially with single joint work, a lot of people find that going too heavy can increase their risk of tendonitis.
b) It makes you actually work hard. People often slack off with straight sets (i.e. prescribed 3x10) on exercises they're not super enthusiastic about in the first place. You're trying to beat your notebook every week, so even if you slack off the first week or two, eventually it forces you to put a lot of effort into your sets assuming you have even a tiny competitive streak.
c) It makes it easier to see improvements week to week. If, for example, you're doing triceps extensions with 25lb DBs, going from something like 3x8 to 3x10 can be a huge jump, and going from 25lbs to 30lbs for the same sets and reps is a massive jump. It can be hard to quantify progress. Just adding 1-2 total reps across multiple sets is considerably easier to do week-to-week, but it's still measurable progress, which helps maintain motivation.

Once you fail to increase reps or weight for 2-3 weeks straight (which should happen roughly every 2-4 months), just sub in a new exercise that accomplishes the same basic purpose and start over with this progression.

Loosely inspired by Dante Trudel and DC training. I wasn't a huge fan of basing an entire program around these principles, but it works GREAT for accessory work.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I am still doing the SBS Strength RTF program and something I really like about it is that it shows you a definite end e.g. you're trying to hit X in 21 weeks, here is what you are aiming for day by day.

that was my favorite thing about the mad dog 5x5 or whatever that program was called too.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i got a giant hat brim to go around my bike helmet, going to look like the biggest fred in the ‘burbs now. but at least i won’t get sunburned.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Eeyo posted:

just weighed myself, i'm the yospos number.

now you can’t lose or gain any more weight

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
first week of barbell medicine bridge program down. i like the different squat variations, it keeps things different. the switch to lower weights but more volume feels much more sustainable too

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I like how I look in the mirror lately. feels like my chest and shoulders look less underdeveloped even though im not lifting for hypertrophy or anything. gut needs 2 go through

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i've already lost a decent amount of weight, so i've got some flabby arms now. hopefully they'll unflab after a while.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Eeyo posted:

i've already lost a decent amount of weight, so i've got some flabby arms now. hopefully they'll unflab after a while.

fill them with muscle. get to curling

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

well alright, but i’ll have to find a rink first.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I’ve never been able to stick to any cardio routine. I recently tried doing 45 mins on the stationary bike 3 days a week, but it’s just so boring I think. drat adhd

when I used to see a trainer years ago I actually enjoyed the strength building part of it. Thinking of getting a cheap squat rack and bench off kijiji and try the 5x5 thing.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I like to go for a run or bike ride outside

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah I much prefer walks or hikes especially when I can bring my camera and get some cool photos. the exercise is like a bonus

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

polyester concept posted:

I’ve never been able to stick to any cardio routine. I recently tried doing 45 mins on the stationary bike 3 days a week, but it’s just so boring I think. drat adhd

when I used to see a trainer years ago I actually enjoyed the strength building part of it. Thinking of getting a cheap squat rack and bench off kijiji and try the 5x5 thing.

That’s because stationary bikes are boring. I actually enjoy my outdoor runs: no music no nothing, it’s one of the only times of the day I don’t have a screen in front of me or some electronic distraction (latest fad)

So yeah I’d second going on hikes, and try going for runs outdoors. Don’t feel bad for not being able to sit still and pedal or run on a treadmill it’s like the most boring thing imaginable

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hiking owns. and trail running is just what you do when hiking is no longer challenging enough

tbh i doubt i'll ever be fit enough for trail running

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I just run in the neighborhood

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I run in a big neighborhood with my thoughts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ADINSX posted:

I run in a big neighborhood with my thoughts
lol