Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Powerlifting and olympic lifting are pretty much the safest sports out there as measured by frequency of injuries. Severity is a different story, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Body fat measurement is a lot more imprecise than people generally realize. This series goes into quite a bit of detail, but if you just want practical advise see the final part.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

yosfit 2023: yes o satan, pile on squats

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

skimothy milkerson posted:

one trick is to practice with an object balanced on your fist (like a shoe). if you can do that, there shouldn't be any weird moments with weight

This. Start light and progress slowly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's a recent assessment of BMI as a diagnostic tool for obesity and it's much worse than you think it is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Eeyo posted:

neat. is that recent though? says it's published 2008

Huh. For some reason I thought it was only a couple years old. It hasn't been cited terribly often, though, so maybe that's like it's new?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

qirex posted:

protip: if you wear a 36 in american pants [or maybe even a 34 nowadays] you probably have at least a 40 in waist, vanity sizing is a gently caress

I wore a Levis 40 and then I switched to a brand of jeans that doesn't do vanity sizing. That was a rude awakening, and that motivated me to get into their 40s.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

When it comes to health stuff there's a tradeoff between predictive accuracy and simplicity, and for communicating with the general public, you really want to emphasize the simplicity.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I use single leg Romanian deadlifts for an ankle workout. They're highly effective.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ADINSX posted:

That’s my armchair assessment of my injury anyway, I’m gonna try and see someone about it but I don’t really know who to go to, I don’t have a lot of faith in my GP.

See a sports medicine doctor. They have experience with this sort of thing and are focused on keeping you able to train.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

my lifts are light and appear to be going down over time, at least my overhead press

How's your press:bodyweight ratio holding up?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

People who go hard all the time don't last long. Everyone who's been in the game long enough knows that it's the right way.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Duluth Trading Co is great for casual clothes for bigger guys. God help you if you need a dress shirt though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Accuracy of Body Mass Index to Diagnose Obesity In the US Adult Population

See here and here for the definitions of the measurements they're using. The tl;dr is that BMI is not suitable tool for diagnosing obesity as measured by excess body fat. It may have value when combined with other measurements, but then you have to look at whether those other measurements are fine on their own.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

1% of the general population with a BMI over 30 is not obese, but among people who run/lift/do anything athletic the proportion is going to be higher. I don't believe the NHANES III contains data about activity levels so they can't measure those subpopulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, insurance companies need to know two things to function:
  1. How much to charge for premiums.
  2. How much cash to keep around to pay out this year's claims.
Both of those require pretty good predictions about large groups of people but there's no need to make accurate predictions about individuals.