Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
hosed my back up earlier in the week trying some new fangled deadlift bar, turns out i should have started with lower weight who could have guessed. back was feeling good this weekend and the snows gone and the weathers nice again so got the first trail run in for the season today :buddy:

goal is to do a half marathon in fall here's hoping i dont gently caress it up biking again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
For home stuff anything by Pavel is probably good,

https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=Tsatsouline&qid=PGblmWdH17

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Juul-Whip posted:

ran 19.5km last night. ready for my half marathon

nice!!

Eeyo posted:

thanks i’ll check him out. they have good reviews on good reads which is kinda hard to get sometimes.

it’s also funny to me that half of them are “russian kettlebell techniques”. like they’re the techniques the imperial pig dogs don’t want you to know or something.

I don't really know all the history of the dude or anything but he is russian and a well known fitness personality. i think his schtick in late 90s was leaning heavily into the 80s/post-80s view of the macho russian soldier or whatever. I think he got famous for either inventing the kettle bell or just otherwise promoting it hard, so all his stuff lends itself really well to the home/travel gym lifestyle. I was doing simple n sinister during covid then had a kid and it all went to poo poo.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 17, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
pro-tip for grip strength esp. if youre already doing deadlifts, on your last rep + set just hold the weight as long as you can.

also the ol rear end in a top hat weight on a string exercise

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
dont kinkshame me

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

PokeJoe posted:

Does the flared base go...inside?

It can if u want it to :wink:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Geebs posted:

Update on my squat situation from a bit ago, constant hamstring stretching has been a great success but I ended up pulling a hip abductor anyways (ugh). So now I've been doing a bunch of exercises focused on that and I'm finally feeling like I'm getting to the point where I might be flexible enough to squat properly without hurting my drat knees.

As a novice to the big lifts but not to weight training, flexibility still continues to be my downfall.

Constantly having issues like this even at low weight has gotten demoralizing, feels like if I'm going to injure myself it would at least be cool if it was from a big number

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc

This routine did work for me, I still do it

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Skull crushers?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

akadajet posted:

I squarted 275lbs today for 5
but poo poo was heavy to I went back to 265lbs for the rest of my workout

:nice:

im currently neglecting my lifts in the vain attempt to do another half marathon like a did 12? years ago, im fat and need to lose weight so seems like a good option

also mixed grip is fine sorry for the goon that tore something but i dont think thats normal. seconding the other goons suggestion to rotate every set your under hand

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

akadajet posted:

yeah. if I struggle to drop weight I'll go ask my doctor about it. I'd be wanting to go from 200 to 170 at 5'10" height

same except 210 to 180... gonna try low carbing and cutting alcohol and limiting eating out, last two have been difficult with 16 month old, i keep making excuses like "its fine the child is exhausting its just while shes still young" but its clearly not

i love my child but good god she is so much work

also i did 205x9 squats the other day which aint much but i think it was a PR or closest ive been to a PR in almost a decade so i felt good about that

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

ADINSX posted:

Give fresh and lean a try, I dropped about 10 pounds of fat just from eating out less. It’s not as cheap as cooking at home and the meals aren’t fantastic but it’s healthy and easy and cheaper than eating out

this actually looks exactly like what ive also been searching for :cheers:

i hate hello fresh and the like because it feels super wasteful and like i can (and do) just buy the same poo poo at the store, wanted something that was healthy and ready-made meals for when were exhausted and just end up eating out but wasnt getting the right combination of search words. definitely gonna try it (assuming they deliver here)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Achmed Jones posted:

hiking owns. and trail running is just what you do when hiking is no longer challenging enough

tbh i doubt i'll ever be fit enough for trail running

if you can run you can trail run, i think i'd rather get shot in the leg than run on pavement anymore.

running in the woods owns, even just a couple miles

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I need to stop forgetting my shin socks on deadlift day jesus christ

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Achmed Jones posted:

weight: 199.2

:hellyeah:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Share Bear posted:

first day of summer binches who is still out there

who wants to get started

I have failed utterly at the gym

but thats because ive been focusing on running (its terrible dont) and am working toward a half marathon. did 6 miles trail run yesterday in the foothills which is a PR for at least 5+ years probably 8 or more. was also about 700 ft of climbing which aint much but also aint nothing.

im feeling good about it :shobon:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Dijkstracula posted:

I bought a scale for the first time in my adult life!!!

I normally hate smart devices in the home but I figured that something that I can pull data from would be nice, so I just went with whatever smart scale Wirecutter suggested. And man is it able to infer lots of stuff! Lean body mass, bone mass, protein, visceral fat; lots of numbers to watch go up or down. Hopefully this'll help me get back to where I was pre-therapy inducing job and pandemic levels of me.

However -- I wonder how reliable these inferred numbers are. Is there any point to looking at non-weight metrics on a consumer device like this or is it a gimmick that ends up being not much better than statistical noise?

Sounds like snake oil op. Unless maybe you're filling out a bunch of additional information in an app?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
ran past a bear during my morning run, he was like 15 feet away. dogs did their job and treed him (like 3 feet off the ground lol) because i didnt notice till he started growling :catstare:

wasnt sure how fast i would realistically have bear spray out in a panic, turns out pretty god drat fast (didnt spray)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
8 miles yesterday, keeping on track :hellyeah:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
running mid day in the heat loving sucks, do not recommend

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

akadajet posted:

same, but running in general

true

it is kinda fun when ur going on a slight downhill and bouncing around on the trail fast dodging rocks and roots and chasing ur dogs tho

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Achmed Jones posted:

i weighed myself at 189.1 today. I'm 6'1" so that puts my BMI at 24.9, which is no longer "overweight."

obviously there's still some way to go, but it feels good

i ordered a weight bench for the garage. long-term id like to get a cage and barbells, but for now the bench alone will help tremendously with dumbbell exercises. not gonna spend the thousand+ until my current setup isn't good enough, and imo that means reaching the limits of what i can easily do with dumbbells. and previous experience has taught me that they can go a long way.

Nice! Fyi the bmi isn't like a gold standard, depending on your muscle mass it can be hilariously off.

did 9 miles and 1200 ft of elevation running yesterday, feeling surprisingly good doing it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
36.5 hell ya got room for some ice cream

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
well my running has stagnated due to weather/smoke but also because im sick of running but im also down to 198 so whose to say if its good or bad

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
horizontal growth is still growth :btroll:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Eeyo posted:

we keep having company over which fucks up my diet.

my problem every summer

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

LanceHunter posted:

Managed a new best on my 1 mile run today... 10:59.

My goal for the year is to get under ten minutes. Right now my jogging pace is actually good enough for that, as I maintained a 9:59 pace for 3/4 of the run. I just got too wiped after that and slowed down to a near-walk for a lot of the rest. I'm starting to realize that I am extremely bad at breathing during sustained cardio. I gasp and get even more winded than I should be. To hit my goal, I'm going to have to be more conscious of how I breath during my runs (in the same way that I'm conscious of my body positioning while lifting weights).

:nice:

i just finished a half marathon a couple weeks ago and my advice is if your working on your first runs focus on distance and ignore speed up to your first 5k or 10k. once you can do a 5/10k you can start working on speed, some of which will come naturally with building up your cardiovascular system and hitting the long distances, and then others would ideally involve specific training, like fartleks, sprint workouts, hill climbs etc.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

well-read undead posted:

who makes a good running shoe these days? soles literally falling off mine (from disuse, not because i’m active)

anything with a vibram sole

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Achmed Jones posted:

well i've been doing the same press for a couple weeks at this point cause i have trouble on the last reps of the last set with my left arm; i think my body weight has been pretty much static at 185. i've still been eating a deficit usually, but have been focusing more on getting enough protein, even if it means going over budget. id hoped that the newbie gains thing would counteract not actually eating a calorie surplus, but maybe not

i also wouldn't be surprised if my weight is below what i listed above, too. i stopped weighing when i plateaued 2 or 3 weeks ago, but in my experience once a plateau breaks i tend to lose pretty quickly so that could've happened

my barbell should arrive tomorrow or wednesday so hopefully converting from dumbbells will help a bit. of course that help might actually be worse in the long run

try doing lower weight at higher reps to break the plateau

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
hell yea :hfive:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
any exercise that you enjoy is good exercise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow