Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My trainer is having me do all these extremely slow tempo reps (stuff like a squat with a 3 second descend and a 3 second hold at the bottom), and while I do think that it is helping my strength it is also just the least pleasant thing in the world. I've got my monthly meeting set for this Friday, and I'm going to see about getting more conditioning built in to the program, since that is definitely where I'm weakest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Share Bear posted:

c lift s: pre covid my baseline for deadlifts was 3 plates (315lb/142.8kg, meaning the minimum i would do in a set of 3) but lockdown + omicron + holiday binging set me way back to start over in january

we’re back baby, wish i could improve my grip without using tape/powder though, i get mad calluses on my palms

I solved my deadlift grip issues by using a hook grip. It hurts like all hell, but I've never had it fail. (I'll go for a mixed grip if I'm going for a max, and that feels like a holiday after the hook grip.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

carry on then posted:

yeah space is at a super premium, mostly i want something i can put away when i'm not using it, i'd like to squat heavier and try barbell bench since i'm getting into the 75-80lb range on dumbbell press and it's starting to get difficult to get the drat things into position repeatedly

The fold-away racks from Rogue Fitness might be worth looking into, depending on budget and how hardcore you wanna go with it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PokeJoe posted:

I broke 100 lbs 5x5 today on my bench press using my janky living room setup :c00l:

Nice.

The gym I'm currently at is very clearly owned, operated, and filled with certifiable morning people. The facility hours are 5:00am to 10:00pm, and when I come in between 7:30-8:00pm to workout, the place is usually almost empty. It's usually completely empty by 9:00pm. On the one hand, this is nice. I can set the stereo to play whatever I want, I have all of the space, it's good times.

The problem is that they've got programmable thermostats, which switch to 81 degrees at 9:00pm. I guess they were used to the place being empty by then before I started going there. Alas, those settings mean that right around the time I feel like I'm getting over the hump for my workout and can push through easily to the end, suddenly it gets so warm that I end up (even more) sweaty and exhausted. What should be the last twenty minutes of my workout ends up taking an hour, and I'm rushing to get out of the place by 10:00pm.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PokeJoe posted:

Why don't you ask them to stop doing that

I only realized it about a week ago, once it got hot enough outside that the gym warmed up really fast once the AC switched. I left a note last night, though I don't know if they'll do anything.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

RokosCockatrice posted:

Is there any reliable way to get in shape yet

Aside from be sponsored by a movie studio and have a $300/hr trainer

Yeah, there are plenty of very reliable ways. Really, if you get into and maintain a solid diet and exercise regime you'll be in shape within a couple of years. There's not even any just one regime that actually works. As long as you're not following a fad-diet and the workout isn't something from an infomercial, there's a very good chance it will get you in shape within a couple of years.

Now, a way to ensure that you are able to maintain the time, effort, and willpower that are required to follow through with such a regime...that's something we don't have a solution for yet.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My trainer and I had a talk Monday and we're about to switch around my program to try and get me in the gym 4-5 times a week for ~1 hour workouts instead of 3 times a week for ~2 hour workouts. This will hopefully make the gym less stressful from a time-management perspective, as I'll be able to make it a more regular part of my daily schedule.

He's also about to start changing the structure of the workouts. Right now it's 2-3 big-lift supersets, followed by a conditioning set (for which I am usually completely wiped out). Now it will consist of 1 big lifting superset and then more intense conditioning. I'm a bit anxious about this, because my strength has been doing really well but my cardio has gotten so bad that I dread the times when I have to work on it. Losing strength gains to be able to go from having really bad cardio to just sorta-bad cardio is almost certainly better for my overall health, but still a but bruising for my ego.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

post hole digger posted:

i like the apple fitness yoga lady jessica.

I feel like Dustin keeps things a bit less intense, which is nice. Jessica always seems to go really hard.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

post hole digger posted:

its funny you say that, it never occurred to me different instructors would have different baseline difficulty levels. i like her because she has the most calming presence. some of the other ones were just too chipper for me.

Dustin and Jonelle can definitely be a bit too peppy at times, yeah.

Also, this came across my memories today, the squat that is still to this day my PR. I’m gonna try to get back to this level, but at this point I’m going to have to fight against the clock before age makes this too hard to reach again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI2Kq4ChTks/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

(Also also, great camera angle to really emphasize my double chin.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

RokosCockatrice posted:

yeah the "move more eat less" school of weight loss hovers around 3% long term success rate. the chance you have diabetes if you live in the us is like 8%, trying to avoid it by moving more eating less is just wishful thinking

The myth that diets have a 3% long-term success rate comes from one 1959 study that was done on just 100 people. The actual numbers are significantly higher, with 25-27% maintaining significant weight loss for 5 years or more. There are studies showing that as high as 87% of people can maintain a weight loss of at least 10% for 10 years.

"Move more eat less" has significant scientific research backing up its efficacy, and anyone trying to tell you differently is either trying to push a "morbid obesity is healthy, actually" political agenda or trying to sell you a fad diet.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I asked in another thread but I wanted some more advice, is there any stretching or something else I can do to help fix my wrist position during squats? I noticed I was overextending my wrists quite a bit so I went back down to 1 plate and now find it really hard to maintain a neutral wrist.

These exercises are listed as ways to help with front squat mobility, but the wrist exercises they show carry over well for back squats.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

post hole digger posted:

uhh whats up with that first link lol

Oops, the RLM Best of the Worst poll I'm running in GBS snuck in there.

Here's the correct link. (Non-paywalled NYT article.)

RokosCockatrice posted:

do you know how to read studies? the things you linked don't support your conclusions

edit: start by finding where diets are mentioned in either study if you are making a conclusion about the effectiveness of diets

I think you're misreading my post because of the ambiguity around the word diet. A "diet" in the sense of a temporary change in eating doesn't work long-term (because the entire point is that your body is constantly trying to achieve homeostasis and any temporary change will only have temporary effects). Permanent changes in eating and activity patterns do work, and are what those studies have tracked and shown.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Share Bear posted:

oh yeah that things a death trap, the one with the rails that guide it right

A smith machine? Or are you talking about a squat rack that just has locked-in pegs (making the initial lift and set-down afterwards awkward.)?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

echinopsis posted:

keep coming back to the idea of using meth to bootstrap into fitness

In the gym we just call it “preworkout”.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

post hole digger posted:

I need to lose like 10 lbs does anyone use a calorie tracker app they like or should I just take up smoking

LoseIt is a very solid tracker app that I've been using for years.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

akadajet posted:

I went back to the gym after 5 months lol

Nice. That means you don't have to post about going back to the gym after 6 months (or a year, or longer).

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’ve recovered from my birthday/vacation weight gain. down 21 lbs now. my pants fit worse and worse all the time

now to try and get through 3 weeks where I can’t lift anything or sit on a bike.

Down a similar amount of weight, and right now I'm basically living in denial that my jeans don't fit anymore. Having a belt without holes definitely helps maintain the illusion, but I know that eventually I'm going to have to actually get a new wardrobe.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I ran across an old FB post of mine where I was bragging about finally hitting 16 pull ups in a row, and how I was shooting for 20. Nowadays, getting in 2 solid pull-ups in a row is a rare feat. Granted, even after all my weight loss this year I'm still 42 pounds heaver than I was back then, but I don't know if I'll ever get back to that level...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My quest to hit a sub-10 minute one-mile run continues with weekly runs on Sunday. I basically do my normal 4-mile walk around the lake, but pick 1 mile out of it to run. I've clearly hit the end of the easy gains, where the simple fact that I was actually running at all was making my body less-terrible at it. This week was the first time since I started doing this regularly that my run was slower than the week before. My poor performance was exacerbated by missing all of my training the week before.

That said, the weight loss is still chugging along heartily. One side-effect is that my pull-ups are significantly better. I was struggling to get in a single good rep before, but now I am up to 3 in a row without issue. Still a long way to go there as well, but it's nice to have these very visible kind of improvements every now and then.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mr. Crow posted:

pro-tip for grip strength esp. if youre already doing deadlifts, on your last rep + set just hold the weight as long as you can.

My trainer is big on strict tempo for reps, and I’m currently doing on a 3-second descent for my deadlifts (and squats). It’s a whole different category of agony for your grip.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Achmed Jones posted:

i have a plantars wart on the bottom of the 'knuckle' of my big toe, between the toe pad and the ball of my foot. i have had it since i was seven years old. multiple dermatologists have tried, and all have concluded: this is you, we could cut it out with knives but it'd come back and also that would hurt a lot.

anyway, the only time it causes me pain is when i'm doing pushups. so i never do pushups, i use dumbbells instead. i know i could do incline/knee/etc versions, but tbh i just want a way to do normal pushups that doesn't hurt my dang toe. any suggestions?

Cross your legs at the ankle so that the foot with the wart is off of the ground. It'll require a bit more balance but should still work.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My secret shame is that right now all my heaviest deadlifts are currently done on a trap bar*. My grip is significantly stronger when I am able to keep my hands in a parallel grip position. When I'm deadlifting on a traditional bar I'm currently doing a hook grip, and I'm starting to wonder if my justifications for doing so aren't just thinly-veiled masochism.

* I will say, though, that walk-thru/open trap bars are so insanely convenient to load and unload.

akadajet posted:

also use chalk. you can get liquid chalk if you don’t want to make a mess in the gym

:hmmyes:

If you want to really be able to tell the difference, wait until you are starting to have grip trouble during a working set, and then apply chalk during the next set. Then you'll fully appreciate the magic...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

KidDynamite posted:

i've got the toxic masculinity bug where i'm sure i could join the rogue 1000lb club even though i haven't lifted for years.

One of the biggest unspoken benefits of lifting (and of exercise in general) is its ability to get you back to reality when your ego has been dipping a bit too hard into power-fantasies. It's a helpful psychological reset.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Great work!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Today my Apple Watch measured my VO2 max at 33.1, which is awful but also much better than the 25.5 I was at last year. Cardio always hurt so much that really let it slide for a long time. Now that I'm forcing myself to run at least once a week (along with doing more conditioning work at the gym), I'm slowly climbing out of the hole I dug myself into.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

akadajet posted:

I told my apple watch I was on a beta blocker and it sent my vo2 max number to the shadow realm

Interesting. I'm very curious about how the number it gives compares to something done more scientifically.

The local university's department of kinesiology & health education has public-facing program where you can go and get things like DEXA scans and VO2/lactate. It's mostly meant to be a way for them to do research (they get to use all your data) and as a result the tests are all very cheap. I've been doing DEXA scans there once every six months. The results of those mostly track with the results I get from my scale (which uses BIA to measure body composition). I don't know if VO2 will end up the same, but I'm going to give it a shot when it's time for my next scan.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Achmed Jones posted:

weight: 199.2

:krad:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I just need to take a moment to express my deep hatred for the loving Concept2 SkiErg. My trainer currently has me replacing the rows in my conditioning circuits, and I just cannot use this machine in a way that doesn't feel terribly awkward. I'm sure it's probably good for me, but I still dread every time I have to use it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i dont know what that is OP

It's what happens when someone looks at one of those NordicTrack ski machines from the 80s and says "how can I convince Crossfit people to buy this?"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

akadajet posted:

why are you doing CrossFit?

Oh I'm not. But their style of equipment has bled over into most gyms now-a-days.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

DELETE CASCADE posted:

does onnit still make the kettlebell that looks like a gorilla head?

Excuse me, I think you mean Primal Bells.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Thought I would greet the sunrise on the solstice with a walk around the lake. Then when my alarm went off at 5am I realized that was a loving stupid idea. Now I'm debating if I'm going to get in a short yoga workout since it's apparently International Day of Yoga and my Apple Watch will give me a cheevo if I do at least 10 minutes of yoga today.

All those are just asides, though. Today's actual workout will happen at the gym later tonight. Gonna push for 3x5 at 340# on the trap bar.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

polyester concept posted:

I bought a squat rack today

:nice:

Are you going with arms or bars/pipes for safety?

Also, accomplished the 3x5 @ 340# for my trap bar deadlifts today. Today's big lesson is that, since I've been losing so much weight, I no longer have the cushion of my belly against my thighs helping to stabilize my core at the bottom of the movement. I've eschewed using a weight belt for the longest time, but now I might need to re-consider that. Or I could just keep flexing my core as hard as possible...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It has arms - is one better or worse? I used to see a trainer at the gym and the equipment there all had arms, and my trainer would obviously spot me. That said I don't intend to be lifting anywhere near the rated capacity any time soon

Both will get the job done just fine. The only real advantage of pipes is that you can't accidentally step too far back and be outside of where they can catch the catch the bar. (But, of course, you need a full cage rack to be able to use them.) That said, I know some powerlifters who don't use either and prefer to just ditch if they reach failure. It's absolutely terrifying every time it happens, but they never get hurt doing it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

did my first 5x5 workout today. used the app from stronglifts.com to recommend starting weights and chose the beginner level since it’s been a while.

started at 110 lb squats and it wasn’t too bad at all but def broke a sweat

Hell yeah. Hope it's the first sweat of many!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dijkstracula posted:

I told it only my age, gender, and height

no handles but looks like it has electrode coating so maybe a similar idea

So bioelectrical impedance analysis analysis (BIA) measures of body fat can be really good or really bad. I had a cheap handheld unit that was supposed to do that to measure body fat, and it was giving me numbers that were at least 30% lower than they should have been. (This was especially bad as it was a time when I had just moved, was a lot more idle, and was stress eating; so I wasn't getting a true gauge of just how much fat was building up.)

I eventually got a Withings scale, though, which uses the same method but has a better build. It's numbers are still not perfect, but they're usually within a few percentage points of the results I get when I do a DEXA scan (which is the gold standard for body composition measurements). The most important thing is to just make sure you're always measuring at the same time of day and on an empty stomach (and preferably after having used the bathroom).

That Wyze scale looks like they're copying Withings, and at 20% of the price. So I don't know if they're cutting corners on things that matter to the measurement or if they're mostly the same quality but just saving on branding (and probably pirating some of Withings' R&D).

All that said, still better than having no scale at all. Keeping track of your data can really show you how you are progressing.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

skimothy milkerson posted:

anecdotally I think you can get away with losing weight fairly rapidly without shedding much muscle at all (as long as you're lifting and eating some protein) until you're getting in to skinnyfat land from fat fat land. people drop a ton of weight and git bigger all the time its fine

Yeah it's extremely, overwhelmingly difficult to gain muscle while losing fat. Basically, your body doesn't want too add extra muscle tissue when it is having to dip into its energy reserves. That doesn't mean that you can't maintain your current muscle mass while losing weight, or at least lose a significantly smaller amount of that muscle mass compared to fat mass. It's just about making sure you keep training.

Like, here are my body comp measurements for the year (these are monthly averages of daily measurements, which were done at the same time and in same conditions each day). I started Wegovy (and thus, started losing significant amounts of weight) at the beginning of February. You can see how both fat and muscle have dropped, but fat has dropped much faster.

Also, because of this goddamned Wegovy shortage it's been 3 weeks since my last dose. As a result I'm gaining a little bit of weight back, but so far all of those gains seem to be in muscle (while the fat levels are staying steady).

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i just automatically assume a takeout meal is about 2 meals worth, so i skip a meal or eat lightly

When I log a takeout meal from a place that's too small to have the ACA-required calorie info, I'll usually just find something that is roughly equivalent from a similar place that does have calorie info available. It's not perfect, but then again calorie labels themselves can vary up to 20% so you just have to accept some imprecision.

Eeyo posted:

i'm glad your bone mass isn't falling

The advantages of never developing bone-itis!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dijkstracula posted:

I never knew how good I had it when the place down the street from me in Oakland had late-nite by donation yoga

There was a place in my city that did by-donation yoga, but the whole things felt a bit cult-y.

I was really enjoying the yoga workouts on Apple Fitness+, though ones personal success with those will really depend on ones ability to follow a workout from a screen.

EDIT: Also, pulled off 3x5 @ 350# deadlifts on the trap bar today. The road to a 400# 1RM continues...

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I feel like turkish getups are 90% body positioning and 10% actual strength. The closest thing I can think of are my friends who do aerial silks and have all these specific movements in complex sequences that allow them to easily climb the silks and to wrap themselves up properly to allow their various spins/drops to happen.

Once you get the body positions exactly right, you'll be able to lift way more than you first thought because of how much mechanically advantaged the whole thing is. (Also, once you get the body positions right, you can carry those over into getting up off the ground in general. Then you can start to be one of those people who can go from lying down to standing without your hands touching the ground).