Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

today, i saw someone injure themselves _severely_ in what i believe to be a similar situation, had to fill out an incident report with the gym as a witness and everything

nothing sucks the wind out of a workout like seeing someone leave with paramedics from doing a similar thing to you

be careful out there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

what exercise?

squats no more details than that

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

good grip does make a lot of things easier yeah

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

on a solid set of deadlifts i feel it in my stomach/core and lightly in my back and arms

on a solid set of squats i feel it in my thighs/butt/legs most then core, with stress on the shoulders but not from flexing (i have a giant callous across my shoulder blades since i do squats a lot)

i feel getting that stomach/core burn is indicative of your form being good

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

and mixed grip is fine but i like to do it both ways on the grip so i dont over exert one arm

so like add a set (or chop up the 1x5 into 2x3) and do one set left hand over right hand under, one set left hand under right hand over

doing more lighter deads also helps with grip, so in your warmup maybe do an extra set and hold for longer to get that additional grip stretching/strength in

but of course if youre just starting out make sure to double check with a video and poo poo that your form is right as well, as thats way more important

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

just use straps

:confused:

i am of the opinion that you should only start using that kind of equipment once you start having issues, which will come once you're really pressing up against your limits, and not directly when starting out where one should be focusing on form and making sure you dont overload yourself

this is an opinion and born out by nothing, i am pretty healthy and in shape, have been doing weighlifting as my main workout for about 10 years, but i am not ripped nor super big

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ADINSX posted:

I felt like my stomach started being the limiting factor for me when I switched from conventional squats to front squats (and going down in weight of course) a couple of months ago. I find them more comfortable to do and work my abs way harder, which makes it easier to get myself motivated for them. Leg stuff is boring but who doesn’t want to get shredded abs :madmax:

men/women both like a nice butt

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

lets not talk about that in terms of not scaring people off, cause most people here arent gonna be doing that much

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

also good analogous thing for attempting to learn or pick up anything new (its a long grind of repetition with breakthroughs here and there, keeping at it is the most important factor, its not a competition)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

finding a good workout (whatever it may be) that keeps you enthused and at it is the most important thing ime

i do think sticking to something for longer than 3mo is better but thats long enough to know if youll like it i guess

i also like the extreme rote and boringness of 5x5 style stuff, its good for sorta meditating-while-working-out

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

great work everyone but especially on the new squat max

ive come to realize months of complaining about deadlift grip is the only thing that has had a positive effect is doing more deadlifts

so i added extra sets to warm up and cool down my grip, been working well

my core can do it my hands cant is the problem

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the new tech of doing extra aerobic lifts before/after to help windedness and grip strength has been coming along great, and wouldn't have occurred to me on the 5x5 treadmill i've internalize over the past decade

first day of summer binches who is still out there

who wants to get started

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

post hole digger posted:

had a terrible workout today but it was better than yesterdays even more terrible workout, and at least i got them both in. been tired and struggling with focus and energy during workouts lately.

keepin at it is the real struggle and good job on committing, but also don't overdo it and take breaks if you're real tired/out of it etc

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

post hole digger posted:

[cardio fitness level number not going up voice] I have Long Covid.

jokes aside

i did get covid like a year and a half ago and i don't think i've fully recovered cardiovascularly until VERY recently (confirmed by doctors visits)

like i'd get winded climbing the stairs, and i had been healthy before that

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

I have failed utterly at the gym

but thats because ive been focusing on running (its terrible dont) and am working toward a half marathon. did 6 miles trail run yesterday in the foothills which is a PR for at least 5+ years probably 8 or more. was also about 700 ft of climbing which aint much but also aint nothing.

im feeling good about it :shobon:

that's great, a friend of mine runs, its def a lifestyle but it works out great for the people who love it, keep it up

polyester concept posted:

did my first 5x5 workout today. used the app from stronglifts.com to recommend starting weights and chose the beginner level since it’s been a while.

started at 110 lb squats and it wasn’t too bad at all but def broke a sweat

also excellent

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah like not saying to not quantify it, but all this stuff is long term and its better to maybe do like a 6 month checkin after doing stuff consistently for those 6 months

the habit and consistency is more important than the numbers

it might be hard to reframe it in that way, but think about increasing the number of consecutive sessions or reducing overall caloric load via macros instead or like lift/distance/time maxes instead of weight

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 10, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

one of my buds did it step by step: first they dieted and cardio'd real hard to lose a bunch of weight, then when they hit their ideal weight to start from, they began the strength training

everyones health goals are different and i def know and understand that weight is a powerful motivating number, but it's not the only way to look at it and there are ways which are also helpful and motivating

edit: spelling, active tense

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 10, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

yosfit 2023: yes o satan, pile on squats

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

sucks dude but it happens, hope you get well soon

i always warm up with like 10x at 1/2 my target weight for the set and at a quicker pace, and also cool down with the same thing, and am extremely wary of messing up form (failed my last bench this week and my arms were dead for a day and a half, arm workouts are my weakpoint)

i work towards maintenance in my late 30s so push my limits but i also don't do things unless i feel confident in the movement because hurting myself is way worse

quote:

After skimming the latest Peter Attia book, especially the parts on stability, I did my barbell squats barefoot today (home gym). Kind of fun, I was paying more attention to stability and subsequently everything on up. We'll see how it lasts.

I have textbook Morton's foot (although looking at the wikipedia pics I feel much better about my condition) so have messed around with inserts for my workout shoes but I'm going to play around with barefoot for a while.

the #1 thing i notice people mess up when getting into squats is wearing heeled shoes (the #2 is not adjusting the bar height to be below your shoulders but above your pecs). if you arent wearing lifting shoes, or flat chucks/vans, you should take off your shoes

someone new came in during my typical type at the gym and they did this this week, i politely interjected and told them about pushing w heels and lining up the bar with that point and taking off their shoes, they did much better after

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 13, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

fart simpson posted:

low bar squat

idgi is it a movement issue or starting low and going up? cause that seems immediately bad

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

these all generally contribute to healthier eating in smaller ways and as a whole should help out

however these also come with the caveat that you are exercising and can make time to cook, and are based on things i did

(i recommend doing exercise for a bit (6mo or so) before considering diet changes, the exercise will beget you wanting to make healthier choices ime)

- try to cook for yourself as often as you can, do meal prep if time is a concern and plan your meals for the week

- try not to do something else while eating besides like talking with others over the meal

- try to not have snacks or prepackaged foods often

- if you have to have snacks around choose healthier and smaller options like carrots pickles nuts and fruit etc, its easier to not snack if you dont have them around

- reduce the portions of food you eat or add more leafy greens to whatever you eat to fill you up

- reduce the amount of alcohol or soft drinks you consume in any form

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

EndlessRagdoll posted:

Where are you all getting recipe ideas from?

whatever has a lot of vegetables or beans in it so like curries, chilis, ratatouille or other stewed veggies, hummus and some other general protein

i cook a lot of east asian food thinking about it, so the kenji lopez the wok book has been good

reducing quantity and increasing the quality of the food i guess? but without cutting myself off from things i like either

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 13, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

as a treat my partner and i went for massages at a nice spa

the masseuse was very puzzled out by the very large callous i have on my upper back from squats

its apparently kinda gnarly but i dont know i thought more people did this

marge-thats-a-sewing-finger.gif

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the person that i posted about injuring themselves showed up at the gym today at like 70% they also thanked me for helpin

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

overheads are the hardest lift cause it SEEMS like it'd be easy but its not

mine is ridiculously weak compared to my other lifts, but i also will easily neglect arm workouts for core or large compound movements instead

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

While I’m sure the HAES crowd latched on to the “BMI has problems” headline takeaway from this study, I think it’s important to point out that the study found that BMI actually underestimates a person’s obesity…

i provided that pull quote when sending it to my weightlifter sons and daughters as it popped out at me

fails to estimate and true negatives is not the same as underestimate in that context of that sentence

quote:

In our results, BMI showed an unacceptable low sensitivity for detecting body fatness, with more than half of obese subjects (by body fat measurement) being labeled as normal or overweight by BMI.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

big shtick energy posted:

waist girth is way better than BMI, for a male type body you want it below 37 inches (and above 40 inches health risks increase a lot)

according to what? this seems made up ngl

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Juul-Whip posted:

if I had a 40 inch waist I would look like Weird Al in the music video with the fat suit

yeah idk , show me a nih study with the same rigour as the bmi one otherwise its stymie talk

i have a big goddamn waist rear end and hips and am easily 40+ there and i also think i exercise and eat pretty well

also

akadajet posted:

Levi’s athletic fit jeans own

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

post your rear end OP

thats sexual harassment and i dont have to take it

i am thicc though

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i've never worn pants at my waistline , i just measured and its 34 at my belly button

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

akadajet posted:

Deadlifts are up to 375 lbs. My overhead press is stuck at 140 but I'm sure I'll get that up soon. I can do 4 good pull ups in a set, trying to get up to 5.

My weight has ballooned to 205 lbs lol. not sure if I should diet or keep eating and lifting.

keep eating and lifting, youll balance out eventually

this is suboptimal advice but i think changing too much at once is always a bad idea, so only change your diet if you feel it is not providing what you need to bulking/maintenance/cutting (depending on your fitness/body image goals etc)

my pov?: i'm old and not on the market so i am more in maintenance mode where small gains are fine. i aint trying to win lifting/building comps or be more generally attractive than i already am :biglips:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

akadajet posted:

I’d like to lose some weight but I also really enjoy seeing my lifts improve and those two things seem at odds

yeah it balances out over time assuming you're eating decently healthy

youll eventually trim fat and kinda settle at a higher weight thats more muscle, and look good naked, and then you can figure out what you wanna do from there

i think pushing the lifts are better long term.

pre-covid, my set max for deads was 425 and i feel like a lot of not falling apart physically over the past 4 years was having that base. ive cut back on drinking this year (mainly cause under lockdown what else was i gonna do) and am at a respectable 215 but i (and others, not just my partner) think i look great so

these are not meant to be brags, just like youll get there the way youre going because thats how i got there

great work and keep at it!

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just to be clear we're not talking about getting fatter and fatter while counting getting up from the couch as our max lift right?

yes, i assume you're consistenttly doing any of the multitude of weightlifting programs out there, whichever one you like the most

(its all basically deads squats benchs and then other stuff like intervals and pacing or specific other lifts for muscle groups, programs differ based on fitness goals)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Weighed myself for the first time in ages on September 1st as I felt I'd drifted up somewhat, and I wasn't wrong, nearly 6 kilos extra on. Decided to do a lean week: no snacks, no between-meals, no sodas (even diet), no beer, at least considering the healthiness of meals for once... Today's weigh in eight days later: 110kg down to 108kg , if I can keep that sort of drop-off up while sustaining my regular gym sessions and not feeling weakened by the restricted food input I'll be very happy. See how things go by the end of September.

I'd like to get down to 95-98kg ish in the end, for a 6ft2 / 188cm bloke that seems doable. I've been there before before lockdown, but I was doing a lot more cardio / floor workouts and a lot less weights so I was slimmer but not nearly as bulked in the arms / chest / back / legs as I am today.

whatever you do make sure you like it and make it consistent

that's the real challenge, moreso than anything else

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the limiting factor in my deadlifts is my grip, i can't hold a bar that has enough weight to really gently caress up my back. that's why i refuse to use straps. i'm not sure if my form is perfect enough to avoid injury when my back is truly working its hardest, and i'm afraid to find out

whatever your warm up or like scaling up weight is, add more reps and hold for longer

this worked for me pretty well

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

skimothy milkerson posted:

this is dumb as hell. use straps and then separately build your grip. world strongest man competitors would agree. separate training your grip and your back/hips/legs. practice and use the hook grip also, but don't limit you getting better at the deadlift because of some dumb idea of purity. this is 100% self-sabotage

honest question: how old are you

peoples fitness goals may differ and be suboptimal, esp if they dont want to hurt themselves as they progress in age

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

skimothy milkerson posted:

34. I read the first half of their message and posted and didnt internalize the second half. thats my bad. I just get all hot and bothered about people eschewing tools to help themselves grow for arbitrary reasons

yeah i get wanting to be helpful and addressing it with useful tools but i also wanted to point out what i pointed out

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

most of my adult injuries are from overtraining, take care of you selfs because as you age the recovery only get longer and less effective

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Dijkstracula posted:

starting week 2 of weightlifting class today, may today be the Day I finally enter my himbo phase

its really good to maintain himbocity towards lifts imo, and doing them begets that positivity

like best thing for my mental ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

would

also tomorrow is me returning after a month long vacation

while on vacation i realized i got the same sort of relief/anxiety cooldown from hot springs and saunas and the beach as weightlifting so i didnt go

gonna start over at my baselines (100 bench/oh, 2 plate squat 3 plate dead) and see where i go from there