Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
yosfit: where the only remaining fat32 exists between the keyboard and chair

I started running to lose weight, and after three years I'm now a fat guy who runs a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I had an eye appointment this morning, and now I can't read. It is so, so very relaxing not to be able to read.

I'm trying to look up how to get eye dilation drops so I can put them in a night, forcing myself to leave evil computer alone after 8:00 p.m.. of course I can't see anything so I don't even know if Google is writing this correctly, let alone what I can order on Amazon.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Well that was a short lived joy. I can see again and I do NOT appreciate your posting!

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Was up dog the first or does "and don't call me Shirley" count?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Is there any reliable way to get in shape yet

Aside from be sponsored by a movie studio and have a $300/hr trainer

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, there are plenty of very reliable ways. Really, if you get into and maintain a solid diet and exercise regime you'll be in shape within a couple of years. There's not even any just one regime that actually works. As long as you're not following a fad-diet and the workout isn't something from an infomercial, there's a very good chance it will get you in shape within a couple of years.

Now, a way to ensure that you are able to maintain the time, effort, and willpower that are required to follow through with such a regime...that's something we don't have a solution for yet.

yeah the "move more eat less" school of weight loss hovers around 3% long term success rate. the chance you have diabetes if you live in the us is like 8%, trying to avoid it by moving more eating less is just wishful thinking

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

The myth that diets have a 3% long-term success rate comes from one 1959 study that was done on just 100 people. The actual numbers are significantly higher, with 25-27% maintaining significant weight loss for 5 years or more. There are studies showing that as high as 87% of people can maintain a weight loss of at least 10% for 10 years.

"Move more eat less" has significant scientific research backing up its efficacy, and anyone trying to tell you differently is either trying to push a "morbid obesity is healthy, actually" political agenda or trying to sell you a fad diet.

do you know how to read studies? the things you linked don't support your conclusions

edit: start by finding where diets are mentioned in either study if you are making a conclusion about the effectiveness of diets

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

thinking about a desk treadmill anyway. whatever the secret is it can't include sitting idle for 10 hours a day

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

did 5x5 at 205 today after weeks of trying. turns out i just needed to post about it?

boss af

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

does everyone get one debilitating illness every fall? ive had a chest cold for almost 3 weeks now and i realized this is about when i fall off the workout wagon every year due to some awful crap

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

gently caress

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

akadajet posted:

Down to 192 lbs from 206 lbs. I wanna be under 190 lbs, damnit!

drat. 14 lbs, lost in time like farts at the gym. time to diet.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

current yosfit status: trying to curb night snacking. thinking of getting into decaf coffee for the pm

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Ran a turkey trot today, made a PR on my 5k.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

there was a deal for a family size of those new nerds/gummy candies, it was like $4.

i haven't fallen off my diet but i think having that in the house is like leaving loaded guns around kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

i admit i am powerless over

<glances at bag of nerds gummy clusters, grimaces>

ferrara candy company products