Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i gained a lot of weight during covid, probably like 50lbs or so. started a diet, and already lost a decent amount of weight (that was mostly because i wasn't eating due anxiety but now i'm probably at a pound a week).

i'm working out too. any good books i should read about home resistance training? i started doing a basic workout with some dumbbells, just 5 lbs for now. i've got 8 lb weights too but i'm not sure what to do after that and i also want to make sure i'm not missing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

For home stuff anything by Pavel is probably good,

https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=Tsatsouline&qid=PGblmWdH17

thanks i’ll check him out. they have good reviews on good reads which is kinda hard to get sometimes.

it’s also funny to me that half of them are “russian kettlebell techniques”. like they’re the techniques the imperial pig dogs don’t want you to know or something.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

thanks for the book recs earlier. looked at the good reads reviews and the simple and sinister looks interesting. some of the reviews made it sound like the guy is a bit of an rear end in a top hat (as in if he posted in yospos we’d be like “yikes”).

it does sound like what i’m after in a routine though. just something simple i can do every day sounds good, i feel like working out 3hrs before bedtime has been helping me sleep.

i’ll have to see if it’s at the library and just read it for the info.

unrelated, but is there an alternative to dumbbell kickbacks (as in targets the same muscles)? i feel like those are pretty unstable for me and i think i overextended something last week when doing them. that’s the only thing i dislike in my current routine.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

Skull crushers?

ok i crushed some skulls and those feel more stable to me. got to get my forearm to stay more still though i think. i’ve been doing the kickbacks this whole time but it felt harder than i anticipated to do them, did two less reps than normal.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

walking is great, i live by a bread factory so i can walk by and get free bread smells sometimes.

unfortunately it’s harder to schedule an hour walk with my baby here so i haven’t gone in a while, just doing what i can downstairs while everyone’s asleep.

i want to start biking to the grocery, i think i can splice a decent route through just side streets and avoid sidewalks and big roads.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

just weighed myself, i'm the yospos number.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

same except 210 to 180... gonna try low carbing and cutting alcohol and limiting eating out, last two have been difficult with 16 month old, i keep making excuses like "its fine the child is exhausting its just while shes still young" but its clearly not

i went to the doctor for high bp right after my son was born, and she put me on a medium carb diet (my words not hers). not like keto level, but definitely cutting them down a bunch. thankfully i can stay at home with my son and that gives me enough freedom to stick to the diet pretty easily. counting the calories with an app (i've been using myfitnesspal) is nice, i can just scan bar codes and add it in as i eat it, and can plan on having enough space for a good snack to make me feel less hungry. plus also a good food scale. that and i do a cheat meal every week, just order out whatever from a restaurant and don't bother counting calories starting with dinner.

but yeah if both my wife and i were working, it'd be super hard, if not impossible to stick with it like i have been.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 8, 2023

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i got a giant hat brim to go around my bike helmet, going to look like the biggest fred in the ‘burbs now. but at least i won’t get sunburned.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i've already lost a decent amount of weight, so i've got some flabby arms now. hopefully they'll unflab after a while.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

well alright, but i’ll have to find a rink first.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

bought a wavecel helmet. i just keep thinking of incel.

it’s been nice riding my bike to the store. thinking of getting a yuba cargo bike if i keep it up.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i must be doing deadlifts wrong, they make my hamstrings feel very hosed up. like even doing it with my tiny dumbbells they're just super tight and it feels awful.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

just got my 16kg kettlebell in. drat this thing is heavy, better get to training.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah i've been weighing on the same day every week, and trying to do it in the morning. i think the recommendation is like 1-2lbs a week, so that's easily overwhelmed by daily noise.

post hole digger posted:

calorie counting is such a nightmare to me god bless anyone who can it for longer than a couple of weeks.

the app on my phone that can scan barcodes plus a scale made it way easier for me. i'm just weighing everything, then scanning the foods and it's super quick. then i make sure i have room for some snacks at night so i still feel somewhat indulgent.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah i often do that, just log the ingredients separately. i often don’t log some of it, like if there’s a bit of tomato sauce i might skip it since it’s usually pretty light. at least for my cooking it’s good enough to log the fats, starches, and proteins since they’ll dominate the calories anyway. then just play it fast and loose with veggies, it’s rarely that much so if you’re within 50% it’s fine.

i’ve been using myfitnesspal and yeah the recipe functionality is not great. it’s a worse version of the main tracking part and is really slow. i’ve even broken it by going back and editing recipes, so i’ve had to re-make them which is even more annoying. i tend to just wing it when i cook, i’d love something with like templates or more easily edited foods.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

the real problem with calorie counting is restaurant food/takeout. i pretty much have to avoid it outside of a cheat meal every week. you just have no idea how they prepared the food and what's in it so there's no way to accurately track it. unless you get a big chain where they give nutrition info. but like the thai takeout place down the road is just a black box and i don't even try.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah it's extremely, overwhelmingly difficult to gain muscle while losing fat. Basically, your body doesn't want too add extra muscle tissue when it is having to dip into its energy reserves. That doesn't mean that you can't maintain your current muscle mass while losing weight, or at least lose a significantly smaller amount of that muscle mass compared to fat mass. It's just about making sure you keep training.

Like, here are my body comp measurements for the year (these are monthly averages of daily measurements, which were done at the same time and in same conditions each day). I started Wegovy (and thus, started losing significant amounts of weight) at the beginning of February. You can see how both fat and muscle have dropped, but fat has dropped much faster.

Also, because of this goddamned Wegovy shortage it's been 3 weeks since my last dose. As a result I'm gaining a little bit of weight back, but so far all of those gains seem to be in muscle (while the fat levels are staying steady).

i'm glad your bone mass isn't falling

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i am tempted to do some yoga. definitely need to start with some in-person classes since i’ve never done it before. i’m thinking it would be a good thing to round out my fitness. i don’t need to be super strong or anything, just overall fit.

like i was so unfit for most of covid. stairs winded me and i couldn’t do much of any one activity. but i chopped some wood into kindling earlier in the week and it felt good to have the strength/stamina to get it all done. and like deadlifting a giant pile of branches i just cleared out. i’m not lifting a whole lot but even a little bit has made me feel really good doing stuff.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah banishing salty chips from my house helped out a lot i think. now my only snacks are nuts or yogurt or something. i used to buy giant costco-sized bags of chips and that's just not good for business.

my doctor suggested a low-carb diet which kinda helped? i feel like it was harder to fill the calories in a way, since i was limited in what i could eat. from my reading it's not helpful long-term and regular carb diets are best health-wise (barring diabetes). but afaik short term it might help you stick to dieting a bit better.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

do know, however, that achmed jones will laugh at you. this is probably not something that you should care about but it is true.

it's ok we laugh at you too

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

speaking of kettlebells, i’m intimidated by turkish getups. there’s several steps and i feel like i’m either going to hurt myself immediately or get a bad form and hurt myself eventually.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

There's a recent assessment of BMI as a diagnostic tool for obesity and it's much worse than you think it is.

neat. is that recent though? says it's published 2008

figure 2 is pretty wild, check out that sick nonlinearity for women.

i feel like r^2 is a totally meaningless stat here. the r^2 value for the men is less, but it looks much more linear and you just get a lot of (statistical or otherwise) spread. for women it's way less spread out but you get an intense nonlinearity.

the compactness of the data for women is kinda interesting. for men you get a tail extending to both high and low body fat %, but for the women there's not much of a tail on the high body fat % side. i'd be curious to see a 2d histogram.

anyway, i guess the real question is does the electrical impedance measurement do a better job of predicting outcomes than bmi. i'm not a doctor and i'm not going to dig around the research to find out.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i feel like i could game that measurement by several inches, depending on where you'd measure it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

i bought a cage

feats of strength this year gonna be lit

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i don't actually know what a cage is and my mind immediately went to achmed jones building an illegal cage fighting ring in his basement.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i actually had remarkably consistent weight loss for many months, like consistently 2 lbs every week. i kinda bounced off 200lbs though and have been bouncing just slightly above for a month now. we keep having company over which fucks up my diet.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

you might end up doing some physical therapy too. my wife did some of that to help out her ankle since she's got cerebral palsy and it makes her foot really tight. she's been able to return to running without much pain which is nice.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

nice, wonder if my old rear end peacoat will fit again.

i'm down to under 200 finally, so i'm technically no longer obese. another 20 or 30 to go until i'm at my target.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

thanks to mitch mcconnel freezing on camera (and everyone tweeting he had had a "tia") i learned that the weird tingling thing my lip did a few months ago--that was so distracting i couldn't remember what the interviewer just said--was actually a miniature stroke

so I guess now I do heart healthy exercises! I've started taking my bike out more often and spent a half hour on the treadmill today. i guess I should buy some backup earbuds because aerobic exercise is an horrible chore without them

oof, well stay safe corla plankun.

i don't really care for cardio stuff myself, but riding a bike around outside is fun.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

my father-in-law does his standup meetings or whatever on his exercise bike.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i just count the night snack calories and adjust my daytime meals so i’ve got space for that.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i stalled out at about 200lb. first got ill so i suspended my diet, then thanksgiving and the assorted leftovers (plus some self-owns of buying delicious candy).

back at it this week though.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

akadajet posted:

I was a grouch this Halloween and turned off my porch light because I didn't want to buy candy and eat it for myself.

i got a giant bag of costco candy, but hardly anybody came because it was snowy and cold.

the next morning I threw the rest of the bag away because it was too much of a temptation.

maybe next year i'll just list it on craigslist for $1 or something. i don't think a food pantry is going to take 2/3 a bag of halloween candy

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

which is to say, it's cute at first but it gets old eventually

much like children

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Share Bear posted:

please get the help you need

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

anyway, got back onto my diet after the holidays. i think i'm back under 200 which is good, so i'm technically no longer obese again.

need some new jeans soon, and a new belt.