Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

go away elon

Elon is the 2nd richest man in the world, how much is he actually spending to oppose this horseshit

Personally it seems like he isn't so worried about dealership monopolies in my own state that isn't a coastal one he has substantial investments in that do not beg questions like "how do you make EV infrastructure work in the Midwest"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

How about repealing the arcane state laws that compel purchasing a new vehicle through a dealership instead of direct from the manufacturer

theyre not arcane so much as they represent the interests of car dealers--perhaps the most AMERICAN of the small-business bourgeoisie--to the point a bunch of states have blue laws for car sales

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Elon is the 2nd richest man in the world, how much is he actually spending to oppose this horseshit

Personally it seems like he isn't so worried about dealership monopolies in my own state that isn't a coastal one he has substantial investments in that do not beg questions like "how do you make EV infrastructure work in the Midwest"

He also doesn't sell cars.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lostconfused posted:

He also doesn't sell cars.

true, he manufactures things that get sent into a desert to become carbon credits, so that every theoretical EV in this country becomes in reality 3 big chud trucks

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Elon the Magnificent

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

20 Blunts posted:

i have a '14 Chevy Cruz with like 40,000 miles on it. looks like $14-15k is what i could get

That was a $16k car new, right?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://www.investors.com/news/nikola-stock-nikola-earnings-report-q1-2021/

quote:

Analysts expect a loss of 27 cents per share on no revenue.

Shares fell 3.6% to close at 10.42 on the stock market today. Nikola stock has been on in a downturn for several months and is well off a high of 93.99 reached in June.

In February, Nikola said trial production of the Tre semi-truck is set to start in June in Germany, while its Arizona plant will start producing the Tre in Q3. CEO Mark Russell also predicted 50-100 battery-electric Tre deliveries in 2021...

Meanwhile, Nikola is making some progress on starting to build up infrastructure. In April, Nikola announced plans to create a hydrogen pipeline network in Germany with its partners CNH Industrial (CNHI) and OGE.

Also last month, it announced a deal with TravelCenters of America (TA) to install hydrogen refueling stations for heavy-duty trucks at two sites in California. These sites may begin operation as early as the first quarter of 2023.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/etsy-tumbles-after-it-projects-a-sharp-growth-slowdown-51620255506

quote:

The bigger deal for Nikola investors will be earnings, due out on Friday. Nikola doesn’t generate sales yet, but analysts and investors will be eager to hear about the outlook for products such as the Tre—which will be battery powered in its initial configuration. Whether the global semiconductor shortage will slow down its product-development time lines is another key issue.

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

I hate this techbro dipshit so much.

He also illegally murdered a wolf during the state congress in February on a ranch just outside yellowstone owned by the owner of sinclair broadcasting.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'd say just buy an elantra but my 13 elantra turned out to be a real lemon so gently caress em

i've got an 08 elantra with like 70k miles on it and it's pretty rad

stellers bae posted:

buy a prius prime for $19k net, it feels loving luxury as poo poo to someone used to driving crappy cars and it will drive forever and/or hold value

if i get this bitchin job i'm interviewing for and i can get a good trade or sale price for my elantra i just might

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Outback is the Good Car

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

y2k wasn’t a nothing burger. there was tons of work that went into avoiding it.

yeah, 10 million dollar pieces of equipment completely bricked themselves and couldn't be turned on when you moved the date forward to test. Fortunately the lesson everyone learned is "lol nothing happened" so 2038 we're all going to die.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Y2k compliance was a fairly big plot device in Office Space. And because of that, will always be relevant.

Like Starbucks handjobs.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Outback is the Good Car

there are no ethical cars under capitalism

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Our nation has earned pain

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

vodkat posted:

it would be nice to think that this has wiped them out but I have a far bleaker worry that they are the ‘vanguard’ of that sort ideological position. sure it might not be needed now but where would a hegemonic right go after it wins is war on wokeness? pressing further to the nrx extreme is the next step as no way does that form of fascism just doubles down on its contradictions at the same time it hands un opposed power over to the same people that supported nrx in the first place. obviously I hope that will never come to pass, but it’s not a possibility that should be shrugged off. accelerationist doomerism isn’t going to die if as people sober up to the reality of climate change it’s going to get worse as they attempt to escape by doubling down on all the worst aspects of the present which is what nrx ideology does.

none of this matters cuz nrx is just liberalism taken to its logical conclusions. liberals are doing nrx already, they just aren't conscious of it.

which is all to say that if capital is a lovecraftian demon bootstrapping itself into existence from the future, this is the exact timeline we'd be living in anyways. the only real difference between communist and fascists on this point is that we, the former, insist that actually capital is just people in a historically specific matrix of relations doin thangs, and capital can't outlast the people doing it. the future remains the same.

emTme3 has issued a correction as of 04:34 on May 6, 2021

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

splifyphus posted:

none of this matters cuz nrx is just liberalism taken to its logical conclusions. liberals are doing nrx already, they just aren't conscious of it.

nrx and liberalism seem like opposites to me tbh. like liberalism is about maximizing the individual and building yourself as a Brand. liberalism takes a lifestyle approach to politics because it worships expertise and thinks all decisions should be made by meritocrats who earned their position via civil service examinations, while political positions are just an intellectual exercise.

nrx meanwhile worships hierarchy and order. everyone must stay in their place. you cannot move your station, you are fated to it by your phenotype and genes. some are meant to rule and others are meant to be ruled, and you cannot move categories; power is held regardless of qualification or merit, because power justifies itself by its own exercise.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

nrx and liberalism seem like opposites to me tbh. like liberalism is about maximizing the individual and building yourself as a Brand. liberalism takes a lifestyle approach to politics because it worships expertise and thinks all decisions should be made by meritocrats who earned their position via civil service examinations, while political positions are just an intellectual exercise.

nrx meanwhile worships hierarchy and order. everyone must stay in their place. you cannot move your station, you are fated to it by your phenotype and genes. some are meant to rule and others are meant to be ruled, and you cannot move categories; power is held regardless of qualification or merit, because power justifies itself by its own exercise.

yes, in theory. in practice capital is capital and liberals just lie to themselves about it.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

if you get rid of car dealerships how are failsons supposed to earn enough to afford $10k worth of custom firearms and tactical gear to complain about black people or masks in or whatever the gently caress

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Spoondick posted:

if you get rid of car dealerships how are failsons supposed to earn enough to afford $10k worth of custom firearms and tactical gear to complain about black people or masks in or whatever the gently caress

it would devastate state legislatures across the country

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

splifyphus posted:

yes, in theory. in practice capital is capital and liberals just lie to themselves about it.

in practice nrx doesn’t exist anywhere at all. it’s the purest “in theory” exercise there is. the gop has been electing racists happily for decades without one word about human biodiversity or clade groups or the cathedral

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

nrx blogger called “Moses Ephemeron” with 300 followers: so you see, the tendency towards servility you observe in the modern Turk is merely the result of generations of selective pressures applied by Moslem clerics to a population already inclined to placid non reflection

jetski dealership owner named Burt Toddens Jr.: vote for me and I’ll stop ghetto sasquatches from coming to YOUR hood!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Everyone itt right now:

https://i.imgur.com/Xdpzsoc.mp4

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I wish I looked that good

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

splifyphus posted:

which is all to say that if capital is a lovecraftian demon bootstrapping itself into existence from the future, this is the exact timeline we'd be living in anyways. the only real difference between communist and fascists on this point is that we, the former, insist that actually capital is just people in a historically specific matrix of relations doin thangs, and capital can't outlast the people doing it. the future remains the same.

this is a good way to contrast them, thank u.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

in practice nrx doesn’t exist anywhere at all. it’s the purest “in theory” exercise there is. the gop has been electing racists happily for decades without one word about human biodiversity or clade groups or the cathedral

i'm really curious why you're so certain nrx has disappeared. i don't think so. well, no, people aren't increasingly believing that capitalism is a demonic superintelligence and there probably aren't any more hyper-racists in 2021 than in 2019, but imo that's not really important to land's work. i think all that's just like, language games he's playing with the method, for fun. alright, let's take this baby for a ride and see what it can do. hyper-racism. demonic superintelligences. and it's all written like i'm evil deleuze. lmao! i mean, that's what i would do.

but the more I learn about land's method, the more I see that method in the right's increasingly successful project to synthesize a grand unified conspiracy theory, for example. i think its influence is still quietly growing in a "madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" kind of way, processing all the right wing ideas into a unified project.

https://twitter.com/pookleblinky/status/1389897524803211266

edit: there's a cybernetics thread now.

Zodium has issued a correction as of 08:54 on May 6, 2021

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Oh, The Huge Manatee! day 3 NFT auction report:

great news, I got another view! i think it was me checking on my phone, but it still counts. no bids yet but great things are right around the corner.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

i would say it's a "Heartbreaking: Worst Person You Know" moment with musk and dealership laws. dealerships are pretty much just scumbag middlemen that are forced onto people because it's illegal to buy a new car any other way.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

it would devastate state legislatures across the country

this should be reason enough, getting rid of the small business auto dealer tyrants would be far more effective to knocking out conservative candidates than basically anything the democrats do right now is

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

i've got an 08 elantra with like 70k miles on it and it's pretty rad

nice. I had an 03 (iirc) elantra that I bought used and it was a great car. i sold it when I moved to Toronto because i basically never drove it there so paying $350/mo parking and insurance seemed like a huge waste

when i had to get a new car that’s why I got another elantra- I’d read they were even better and more reliable than when I had mine. too bad I got one with a hosed up engine block :negative:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

wtf is with all the pro-landlord people in the comments

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
See homeless people, just get an apartment

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1390274393595682822?s=19

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

mila kunis posted:

they’re landlords

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/SethCL/status/1390273357556355072?s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

just lol that there is a “market” for housing. what a strange place.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I'm not pleased that this decision was made, but the set-up was basically unenforceable given how state housing law and housing courts usually work. It was a Trump administration ploy to try to look like it was doing something when it wasn't actually doing anything.

mila kunis posted:

The behavior of landlords during this pandemic has been a great refresher on why Mao's hatred of landlords got him so much support among the Chinese peasantry.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1390272551394414593?s=19

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Dinosaur Gum
few weeks ago the news was telling people to sell their house and start renting and now they're telling people to trade in their cars and buy a new one above sticker price lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mila kunis posted:

Gee, imagine being made to PAY for something you're using. Sheesh.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

moist turtleneck posted:

few weeks ago the news was telling people to sell their house and start renting and now they're telling people to trade in their cars and buy a new one above sticker price lol

I've been wondering if we've got a housing crash coming.

If we do, wouldn't the smart thing to do would be to sell your home at a super inflated price right now? Then rent a place til the crash happens and buy a new home at a discount?

But if there's not a crash coming, or if it's happening years from now, you'd be kinda screwed it seems.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I decided not to sell my car, it was an irrational decision, also vroom offered me quite a bit more than carvana so if you are looking to sell I would definitely check them out as well

The vw/audi thread was quite helpful to me, though it's crazy if you look back earlier in the thread, there's a guy that bought a new Audi that was like 64k, and he said he only drove 6k miles/year

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298776&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=300#post510719617

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

I decided not to sell my car, it was an irrational decision, also vroom offered me quite a bit more than carvana so if you are looking to sell I would definitely check them out as well

The vw/audi thread was quite helpful to me, though it's crazy if you look back earlier in the thread, there's a guy that bought a new Audi that was like 64k, and he said he only drove 6k miles/year

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298776&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=300#post510719617

They put my old car up for sale

https://www.bowsersubaru.com/used/Subaru/2014-Subaru-Outback-for-sale-near-Pittsburgh-4001511c0a0e0a17156e5f2199630086.htm

That's an absolutely insane price for a stripped seven year old car.