Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I used to see aluminum foil used for this a lot in Chicago.

There are still old houses all across Manila that have these on their windows, including my parent's place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Pitiful lmao.

A few years ago when things were more precarious I found some transient work-to-live website & was making backup plans to go pick macadamia nuts in hawaii in exchange for free lodging.

On the other hand, "Private Rogers" has a nice ring to it. You could be the next Captain America!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Xaris posted:

that’s right. 4 years of living in a dense walkabale community and doing insane amount of drugs and suckin n loving while occasionally learning some new tidbit rules

college was fun :)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pulcinella posted:

I know it really shouldn’t at this point, but it still shocks me that Powell can just come out and say “ohh yeah wages are way too high and unemployment is way too low. We need to reverse that. I hope corporate America can work together with us at the Federal Reserve in a display of unity disciplining labor.” and there is basically nothing about it in the media besides maybe a fluff piece about how the Federal Reserve is a great impartial institution.

Also my boomer neighbor seems determined to pay those “I actually don’t want to do this job” rates. Paying people $2000 to patch small drywall holes and hang pictures, hellbent on making sure there isn’t even a penny that could theoretically accidentally be left to his kids and grandchildren.

Powell keeps saying the evil things loudly and nobody cares

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Oooh, new favorite ad:

Military is the biggest employer hoping for a massive recession

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol i had some really weird soldiers come in after the 2008 econ crash

one of my privates joined the army as a 36 year old because his chicken farm debt was killing him

That private is a millionaire now, if they held onto those chickens anyway.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Paradoxish posted:

You will never convince the typical driver that they don't need AWD, even as their AWD SUV on bald all-seasons skids off directly into a ditch

It can help but it's not gonna bail you out of everything, especially if you're not using the proper amount of power for conditions on bald tires.

Xaris posted:

lmfao

anyways my landlord had some HD guys come over to replace my range and they forgot to give me an adapter for the gas line so i had to go to home depot. lol drat that store is in bad shape. multiple turbo-armed and armored fat guards waddling around, 75% of shelves empty and in dissaray. entire tool section hardcore locked down even stupid screwdrivers. i made it to the plumbing section and they didn't sell the 5/8-1/2 gas adapter and you had to buy a new line but 75% of the bags had been ripped open and the adapter taken out -- so i just did the same thing and walked out

Did you go to the Macarthur Park one? I would go to the Panda Express in that parking lot for lunch sometimes and see a security guard dressed like he's in Rainbow Six Siege.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

skooma512 posted:

It can help but it's not gonna bail you out of everything, especially if you're not using the proper amount of power for conditions on bald tires.

The problem is that it doesn't do anything to help you stop, which is the most important thing in inclement conditions by miles. That and the fact that modern stability control systems specifically apply brakes and reduce power during slides, so you can't really utilize the advantages of AWD for better control. There are tons and tons of tests out there showing that AWD's only real advantage is getting you going, and being in a heavier AWD vehicle is generally worse than being in a lighter FWD vehicle with snow tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXjzYbpt9Ow

Nothing wrong with AWD if you're terrified about getting stuck, but the original point that it just makes cars heavier, more expensive, and less efficient for minimal gain is correct.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i dont know why that image has been making the rounds but that's for something else. specifically their pricing for "premium" 30-day search windows.
https://developer.twitter.com/en/pricing/search-30day
click link, click the selected button on "premium" and it displays this same chart.
it's more expensive because of the queries you can support on the "premium" version of search

---

musk has already said $100/month... but this is stupid because now people are being charged the same as if they made 1 call vs 1 million. so once again he has not really thought this through.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

this guy's not going to make any money

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Totally unrelated but I drove by this sign in the Bay Area the other day (not my photo of it)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Vox Nihili posted:

Totally unrelated but I drove by this sign in the Bay Area the other day (not my photo of it)

not find here quality copy-editing

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

That's a great representation of what's destroying humanity and the planet

That's the sickness we're all afflicted with, this guy just has it much worse

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Regarde Aduck posted:

Society is built to make your life miserable if you don't have MONEY so of course it produces people like that.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

That guy is like 19, everyone was a dumbfuck at that age

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
All its missing is a statement asking for the easiest/laziest way to do it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

That guy is like 19, everyone was a dumbfuck at that age

It's true, I was a tankie

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Vox Nihili posted:

(not my photo of it)

Pretty suspicious things to say

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Paradoxish posted:

Society is built to make your life miserable if you don't have MONEY so of course it produces people like that.

Yeah i would just assume dude grew up poor.

Middle class money freaks just join business school and don't say that part out loud.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I used to see aluminum foil used for this a lot in Chicago.

I'm not in HVAC but this would have the opposite effect, to keep out heat. You want light coming in the windows in the winter. The sunlight can significantly heat up a room - just ask your cat. Clear film is a good way to seal off windows, better windows that let in tons of sunlight are the best answer but as someone just pointed out only people who can spend that kind of money get the benefit. Poor people can't afford to upgrade their windows, and a landlord would never spend that kind of money.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

buy $8,000 in new windows so you can save $18 a month

You'd come out ahead in Just 445 months

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

When I was a kid, we would just shrink wrap the windows in the winter.

I've got a single-pane leaded glass dormer window in my living room that I had to plastic wrap because it's like 110 years old and I don't want to replace it.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Paradoxish posted:

The problem is that it doesn't do anything to help you stop, which is the most important thing in inclement conditions by miles. That and the fact that modern stability control systems specifically apply brakes and reduce power during slides, so you can't really utilize the advantages of AWD for better control. There are tons and tons of tests out there showing that AWD's only real advantage is getting you going, and being in a heavier AWD vehicle is generally worse than being in a lighter FWD vehicle with snow tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXjzYbpt9Ow

Nothing wrong with AWD if you're terrified about getting stuck, but the original point that it just makes cars heavier, more expensive, and less efficient for minimal gain is correct.

Subarus have paddle shifters that technically let you downshift for engine braking but absolutely nobody uses them

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

When I was a kid, we would just shrink wrap the windows in the winter.

my parents would do this too
but they were also pack a day smokers so the entire house became this crusty, smokey death-hut until the spring
I would also get a lingering cough that wouldn't go away for months when they did this but my dad would always say "it's just in your head"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/RedboxWire/status/1621490785865863169?t=Y34jZog4raOjNSBXDLckhA&s=19

Not so different

Edit: europe PPI came in extremely hot.
https://twitter.com/GordonJohnson19/status/1621479937466056704?t=auxNBoE2AJrOlckA_vEsfw&s=19

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 14:06 on Feb 3, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the internet is a complete wasteland.

the only good thing left is podcasts and they are loving those up

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

You'll use a lot less electricity if you electrocute yourself

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've got a single-pane leaded glass dormer window in my living room that I had to plastic wrap because it's like 110 years old and I don't want to replace it.

I have a similar window that is in the front of house looking into living room that people would call a “feature” I don’t want to replace it since it would make a lead mess for my family so a couple years ago I bought thermal curtains for it. works pretty well.

we barely get Sun in the summer so it isn’t a big deal.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

euphronius posted:

the internet West is a complete wasteland.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1621502045499817989?s=20

people just don't want to work anym....wait what the hell

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vox Nihili posted:

zoom in on the guy’s chinpubes.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mr. Nice! posted:

zoom in on the guy’s chinpubes.

They know their target market

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

fits my needs posted:

Massive good news for economy > stocks tank and traders cower in fear of the wrath of JPow

you know I'm starting to think markets and capitalism may be a flawed religion...

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Too many counterfeits, at least for steroids
IDK I’ve had great luck with a couple of the more reputable ones.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

fits my needs posted:

Lol and he did 25bps

mystes
May 31, 2006

I actually wouldn't think that poorly of this person if they just hate cs and their goal was just to retire at like 35 and do stuff they actually want to do, rather than trying to become as rich as possible, although it seems more like the latter

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Let's go to work Brandon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

real wages down 3-4% drat.