Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Slavvy posted:

The point isn't changing gears yourself, modern auto and dual clutch transmissions let you do that no problem. The point is having a clutch pedal because that gives you a level of control over the car's dynamics and ability to express your skill (aka 'fun') that's impossible to achieve without one. The details of the gearbox itself are largely irrelevant.

Nah, that's not the point. The point is maybe eventually paying $2k for a clutch job instead of $6k for a blown auto/cvt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Nonsense posted:

a tiny list of the worst chains still in business

arby's is good

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
boat sandwiched vs submarine sandwiches

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Relevant Tangent posted:

arby's is good

5 for $5 is 2 for $6 now but NO INFLATION IT CANT HAPPEN HERE

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

As is immediately pointed out in the first response to his tweet, the canal doesn't immediately cut from "shipping depth" to "10 feet deep". It's more of a V shape and even the part that shows as super shallow isn't necessarily super shallow, it's just not been mapped by whatever boats report to that site. So it's somewhere between "just the pokey part is stuck in the mud" and "⅓ of the whole ship is stuck".

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

BigPaddy posted:

How can I be the drifto king with an automatic?

fast food trays

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/arvindcTOI/status/1375035670226292737

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 00:14 on Mar 28, 2021

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Since we're still on the manual transmission derail I will say that having one definitely felt like it enabled a few options with car physics that were not quite possible without one, due to the ability to freely mismatch engine speed to car speed and then gradually match them up. That moment of matching always creates a sudden force as weight shifts over the car's suspension, and having the control to make that force gradual and managed seemed valuable every time I shifted.

In a racing or high-precision application, having that extra degree of freedom seems better than not having it, unless it's one where shifting speed is truly not negligible.

I will admit that the only time I got annoyed at not having an automatic was in certain types of never-ending traffic jams that were stop-go and intermittently faster, having to work the clutch over and over.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

comedyblissoption posted:

209 million people in the united states are >= 18 years old

the last stimulus bill was $1.9 trillion with a means tested $1,400 check

1.9 trillion / 209 million = $9,091

But saying this would imply that Bill Maher was wrong if not stupid.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Nah, that's not the point. The point is maybe eventually paying $2k for a clutch job instead of $6k for a blown auto/cvt.

Prius CVTs are insanely bulletproof and will last until the heat death of the universe.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

anime was right posted:

the instant we turn off the forbearance we're going to see SLABs and MBSs loving explode lol

inshallah

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

this dog could solve any engineering problem you ever had.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Cold on a Cob posted:

subway bread tastes weird

my goto sub chain is mr sub but :canada: only I think

If it has 2 b’s then it exists in Upstate NY too. It’s better than subway, but that’s a low bar.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Old James posted:

If it has 2 b’s then it exists in Upstate NY too. It’s better than subway, but that’s a low bar.

checked and unlike timmies they didn’t try to go south at all

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

firehouse is decent too

Anytime I travel I check to see if the city I am going to has a firehouse sub so I can go and enjoy the psychotic firefighter are the real troops murals

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think firehouse was probably my favorite chain sub sandwich

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

silicone thrills posted:

Their lettuce is always disgustingly soggy in a way that managed to soak through the entire roll. How? HOW?

That is elephant tears

https://www.businessinsider.com/jimmy-johns-ceo-under-fire-for-alleged-hunting-photos-2015-8

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Anytime I travel I check to see if the city I am going to has a firehouse sub so I can go and enjoy the psychotic firefighter are the real troops murals

it's easily the most noble of the chud hero professions and probably the only one that should exist

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silicone thrills posted:

Their lettuce is always disgustingly soggy in a way that managed to soak through the entire roll. How? HOW?

Sorry your local Jimmy John's sucks?

They're like 10x better than subway but like others have said, that's a low bar.

The real sandwich pro move is buying a panini maker for at home

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ten times zero is still zero.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Slavvy posted:

The point isn't changing gears yourself, modern auto and dual clutch transmissions let you do that no problem. The point is having a clutch pedal because that gives you a level of control over the car's dynamics and ability to express your skill (aka 'fun') that's impossible to achieve without one. The details of the gearbox itself are largely irrelevant.

its not so much the clutch pedal as the clutch itself gives you a direct connection from the engine to the wheels. This allows you to change the weight balance of the car in the middle of a turn using the throttle. it's more responsive. The mazda miata transmission is a pleasure. double clutch and that baby is smooth as hell even into 1st

Happy Thread posted:

Since we're still on the manual transmission derail I will say that having one definitely felt like it enabled a few options with car physics that were not quite possible without one, due to the ability to freely mismatch engine speed to car speed and then gradually match them up. That moment of matching always creates a sudden force as weight shifts over the car's suspension, and having the control to make that force gradual and managed seemed valuable every time I shifted.

In a racing or high-precision application, having that extra degree of freedom seems better than not having it, unless it's one where shifting speed is truly not negligible.

I will admit that the only time I got annoyed at not having an automatic was in certain types of never-ending traffic jams that were stop-go and intermittently faster, having to work the clutch over and over.

if you're talking about downshifting, you should be rev matching to eliminate that differential between engine/drivetrain so as to not unsettle that weight balance. For the same reason ideally you avoid shifting in the middle of a turn.

One cool thing about the miata is you can shift entirely without the clutch just by ever so slightly tapping the throttle and timing the shift correctly to the revs.

Mr. Pizza has issued a correction as of 02:50 on Mar 28, 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Look at these.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Look at these.

those are all awesome

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Look at these.

I dunno OP this one is kind of tight.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol is that last one showing that the firefighter seal or whatever is a bald eagle that got creamed by a firetruck, hahaha

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
It's no Mission Barbeque.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thoguh posted:

It's no Mission Barbeque.

No it is better

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

what’s it like living without principles? cause I don’t find it difficult at all to not give my money directly to mother fuckers like this and in fact it feels good to not eat their poison as well as not pay for it.

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe

i am harry posted:

what’s it like living without principles? cause I don’t find it difficult at all to not give my money directly to mother fuckers like this and in fact it feels good to not eat their poison as well as not pay for it.

it is in fact difficult to ethically consume under capitalism but i think these people are just talking about sandwiches

"i think the lettuce is somewhat too soggy" "whats it like to live without principles" lmfao

the 2016 lover has issued a correction as of 03:11 on Mar 28, 2021

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I did not enjoy my 2004 wrx manual was made for a tractor or something, the sti 6 speed however

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

oxsnard posted:

unless you're in the greater philadelphia area, in which case you go to the first dirty hole in the wall italian deli you see. They have to have one of those white boards with the movable black letters tho

This. But, if you're in the Philly area and for whateve reason you can't find one of these I'm a big Primos fan. Slacks is also passable.

Also 5 speeds own and while the Yota Hilux is 'king' 2011 and prior Rangers are stupid easy to fix and *nearly* indestructible too. Bonus points for tons of parts overlap in model years as well as the Mazda B series being exactly the same thing.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

the 2016 lover posted:

"i think the lettuce is somewhat too soggy" "whats it like to live without principles" lmfao
that’s a totally appropriate response, especially when an electric sandwhich press is ~$15 and pays for itself after the third panini

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I agree never eat at a resturant.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I've never found a better sub than Publix tbh

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Food chat is always the worst, no one cares about some stranger goon's food opinions. Markets should be open on weekends, to save us from fast food chat, IMO.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

oxsnard posted:

it's easily the most noble of the chud hero professions and probably the only one that should exist

out of all the chuds i've known by far the most racist one was a boomer firefighter. like 100x more racist than the boomer prison guard i knew around the same time.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Food chat is always the worst, no one cares about some stranger goon's food opinions. Markets should be open on weekends, to save us from fast food chat, IMO.

If this post were a sandwich it would be the worst I've ever been served

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Fame Douglas posted:

i took a bunch of pictures of a "luxury" condo i looked at today to rent that was absolutely full of dead bug carcasses, that would probably kill the mood for food chat

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe

i am harry posted:

that’s a totally appropriate response, especially when an electric sandwhich press is ~$15 and pays for itself after the third panini

did you know that electricity is produced using processes that are very bad and killing our mother earth? whats it like to live without principles? and where was the sandwich press purchased? nearly every store is extremely yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

the 2016 lover posted:

did you know that electricity is produced using processes that are very bad and killing our mother earth? whats it like to live without principles? and where was the sandwich press purchased? nearly every store is extremely yikes

Jesus Christ, what a monster. Imagine casually bragging about your sandwich press that is killing us all, like it's nothing at all. Careless.