Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Palladium posted:

our very defensible business moat of reselling stuff from china
tbf that's Drop.com. i don't think groupon ever sold "stuff" directly. more like "bulk" selling of local/national services like buy 5-days of hotel marriot for $50 or 4 plates for $20 from a local carribean place kinda thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Does Groupon resell stuff from China now? I thought their business model was strong arming events, restaurants, service providers etc into offering steep discounts in something at a financial loss for them while Groupon takes a cut.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Palladium posted:

our very defensible business moat of reselling stuff from china

Groupon's business model is tricking people into buying garbage package deals to get them in the door at businesses that will treat them like poo poo because they aren't paying full freight

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

tbf that's Drop.com. i don't think groupon ever sold "stuff" directly. more like "bulk" selling of local/national services like buy 5-days of hotel marriot for $50 or 4 plates for $20 from a local carribean place kinda thing

yeah, in the early 2010s I used it for some hotel and cruise deals in Turkey and it was pretty good for that. then the deals started sucking and you got a hundred competitors with similar names, like grupanya.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i bought a groupon deal once. it was a $100 coupon for nordstrom rack that cost $50 and i bought it for my sister as a birthday present

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

Groupon's business model is tricking people into buying garbage package deals to get them in the door at businesses that will treat them like poo poo because they aren't paying full freight
yea the shittiest thing was food because people would be getting these "great deals" but then tip on post-subsidized price, so like $100 of food for $40 and tipping $7 when it should be $15+. i did great some great food deals but then i'd usually just put all the savings into a tip, but i imagine i was probably the only one.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I bought a groupon for Quiznos and thats how I found out every Quiznos within 50 miles had closed a week earlier

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Flavahbeast posted:

I bought a groupon for Quiznos and thats how I found out every Quiznos within 50 miles had closed a week earlier

quiznowned

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Flavahbeast posted:

man the late 90s/early 00s are such a dream-like haze when about a zillion quiznos sprouted up like daisies after the rain and then every single one vaporized a few years later

bring back da 90s

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve drops to lowest level since 1987

quote:

HOUSTON, May 16 (Reuters) - The amount of crude oil in the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) dropped by 5 million barrels in the week to May 13, data from the U.S. Department of Energy showed.

Stockpiles in the Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) fell to 538 million barrels, the lowest since 1987.

About 3.9 million barrels of sour crude was released into the market, while about 1.1 million barrels of sweet crude was issued, according to the data.

I suppose it's not news to the thread, but the US SPR is now at a 35 year low.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Xaris posted:

man the late 90s/early 00s are such a dream-like haze when about a zillion quiznos sprouted up like daisies after the rain and then every single one vaporized a few years later

bring back da 90s

hosed up bc quiznos had the best chain sandwiches for the price

the baja chicken has a small place in my heart. used to order one of those when i was an idiot teen who went to the lan center like 4 times a week

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

bring back da 90s

what was Quizno, was it like a toasted subway ?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mawarannahr posted:

they had a weird fancy toaster they used to toast their stuff, but their sandwiches were a lot more subsstantial. https://www.quiznos.com/

if youve ever had potbelly, not too different, except all the subs were toasted by default in a neat conveyor belt thing. also free various pickles.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

shrike82 posted:

just enjoy the make-believe work - it's been a great time to slack off work and earn money
even better if you're WFH

despite a huge segment of these forums being extremely overpaid computer janitors that don't actually provide much actual labor and just contribute to the exploitation of it there are still plenty of unfortunate people that exist to be exploited by their companies and useless coworkers.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

OhFunny posted:

i thought the whole point of america post-WW2 imperialism is about NOT using their own oil production as much as possible

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

lol

Xaris posted:

bring back da 90s

They were basically a scam operation where the company made money by tricking people into franchising a quiznos then ripping off the franchisees

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mawarannahr posted:

you ever had Togos? more like toasted togos, like actual substance to the sandwich that isnt 99% air. but yes ran through a convection toaster-oven so it got nice and crispy.

also it's funny to me how much subway is eating poo poo these days.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

OhFunny posted:

They're going to empty that fucker out before gas hits 10 bucks

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Shear Modulus posted:

lol

They were basically a scam operation where the company made money by tricking people into franchising a quiznos then ripping off the franchisees

sounds like the franchisees just didn't hustle hard enough and the poor franchisor is being blamed for these people who just don't want to work

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

yes. and then they will spend tax dollars subsidizing the price of oil after that predictably fails lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Palladium posted:

i thought the whole point of america post-WW2 imperialism is about NOT using their own oil production as much as possible

the dementia brained mummies in charge would rather empty the coffers to stick it to the big bad russians before they die

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

you ever had Togos? more like toasted togos, like actual substance to the sandwich that isnt 99% air. but yes ran through a convection toaster-oven so it got nice and crispy.

also it's funny to me how much subway is eating poo poo these days.

nope, only chain I’ve had are subway and Jimmy johns so I’ll have to imagine, but thanks. now I want a toasted sandwich.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

quiznos existing is also responsible for one of my favorite clickhole articles

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/933007688702754818

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
gettin 'znos memories.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

Lol Groupon is down roughly 97% from its peak, how's that for blood

You see this was just Groupon's way of giving everyone a 97% off discount deal of buying their stock.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Shear Modulus posted:

Current release is a third of the reserve, so bottom should be ~370m.

It is going to be very expensive to refill if prices don't come down.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
They are still technically around, 176 left in the US.

They were toasted subs (the reason all of them have a toaster now) but I always thought they were really heavy on the Cheese and sodium. They felt worse for you then a 90s/2000s era subway sandwich, which in turn back then tasted almost like real food.

I thought Jimmy Jon’s always tasted weird.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
I worked in a quiznoes, and promise that one post in the the zybourne clock forum was made from a quiznoes computer.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

OhFunny posted:

I suppose looking to prevent CoolZone:2022 is a valid strategic use

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

I worked in a quiznoes, and promise that one post in the the zybourne clock forum was made from a quiznoes computer.

the gently caress is that? Quiznoes OS 3.11 ?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

OhFunny posted:

lol yeah it owns. it's also amazing what people will do to save $2. I went to Costco at like 1pm on a Monday to grab some things and was going to fill up but it was a madmax thunderdome hellscape at the pumps, easily a 45 minute wait -- so I just lolled, grabbed some things, and stopped by Arco with no wait and paid maybe $2 more. $2 for 45 minutes of one's time baking inside their car with the AC on full-blast seems like more than a fair trade but carbrains gunna carbrain.

$10/gal by end of the year is going to be amazing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

OhFunny posted:

Current release is a third of the reserve, so bottom should be ~370m.

They aren't expected to and the plan is to start filling up after the mid terms. That should put price pressure on the markets too lol

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Ardennes posted:

They were toasted subs (the reason all of them have a toaster now) but I always thought they were really heavy on the Cheese and sodium. They felt worse for you then a 90s/2000s era subway sandwich, which in turn back then tasted almost like real food.

There are still Blimpie's out there. Sub shops never die, they just dwindle into obscurity.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

the gently caress is that? Quiznoes OS 3.11 ?

It's something that doesn't exist any more because of balls.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Makes sense that they did well for awhile, everyone loved cheese and sodium.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

If we hit $10 that will happen sometime during the summer and only if the crack spreads on diesel and jet fuel stay insane.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

lol yeah it owns. it's also amazing what people will do to save $2. I went to Costco at like 1pm on a Monday to grab some things and was going to fill up but it was a madmax thunderdome hellscape at the pumps, easily a 45 minute wait -- so I just lolled, grabbed some things, and stopped by Arco with no wait and paid maybe $2 more. $2 for 45 minutes of one's time baking inside their car with the AC on full-blast seems like more than a fair trade but carbrains gunna carbrain.

$10/gal by end of the year is going to be amazing.

Costco gas is so popular at our local Costco now that the lines fill up adjacent streets and parking lots and create a gigantic gridlocked exclusion zone for blocks around

People will wait for an hour to save $5, it's completely deranged

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

If we hit $10 that will happen sometime during the summer and only if the crack spreads on diesel and jet fuel stay insane.

luckily, biden knows someone who's an expert on spreading crack

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

Costco gas is so popular at our local Costco now that the lines fill up adjacent streets and parking lots and create a gigantic gridlocked exclusion zone for blocks around

People will wait for an hour to save $5, it's completely deranged
it's funny because the differential hasn't actually changed that much (around 0.2 - 0.3 max), so by a % it's not even that good of a deal compared to pre-pandemic when no one gave a poo poo. it's probably not even saving $5, even less with the gas wasted idling in max AC. like it was $5.49 at Costco vs $5.69 at Arco, seems like a no brainer to not wait an hour. i guess if you were filling up 100 gallon ford f950 freedom rancher limited 9/11 edition truck maybe yeah, but for typical 12-15 gal tank just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Makes sense that they did well for awhile, everyone loved cheese and sodium.

There was probably a knock off effect from super-size me. Yeah, I don’t know if it was the worst thing.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 04:55 on May 18, 2022