Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
everyone in this thread who posts finance gibberish is a loving moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Gods_Butthole posted:

Crypto has to be the key to the collapse. I see so many loving cheapo scam ads for it and coinbase now. It's too stupid not to be bought into on a larger scale than it has any right to be (which we've already seen). Partially as a result of its stupidity and partially as a cause for its stupdity it's super easy to make money off of it if you're both smart enough to, and willing to exploit humans and nature. The two process bootstrap each other. Plus it's tapping into that deep suspicion, whether conscious or not, that money is loving made up that most people suspect and jokerfied quasi-nihilist personalities feed off of.

We'll show those rich bastards. We'll make our own money and it'll have blackjack and hookers, and probably kill the planet

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Nothus posted:

The fact that these places aren't mysteriously burning down is exhibit 1A that there isn't really an environmental movement.

I'm sure they extensive fire safet-BWAHAHAHA i wouldn't even finish

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Radirot posted:

can the value of mining always overweight the cost of energy? doesnt it have to flip at some point?

number go up

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Ardennes posted:

No it isn't, but that is the thing the "American dream" has always been about being a "self-made man." It just really isn't possible any more without grifting.

It has always been there but particularly bad in the last year and it is only getting worse. MLM schemes, speculation, fraud are all out of control.

...any more?

America is founded by rich white slaveowners who didnt want to pay their taxes. The successful have exploited and stolen from the poor and minorities to achieve their dream since before this foul nation legally existed.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
land owners...are bad??

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

euphronius posted:

class has tons of variables besides net worth

*taps the READ THEORY sign*

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Fame Douglas posted:

Remember all the goons saying "hey, I'll short Gamestop, it's easy money" lmao

no

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
its only automation when the labor is physical because i dont respect non-physical labor

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Slow News Day posted:

SpaceX 3D prints their rocket engines and many other parts

the guys who make fireworks?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
imagine thinking wages have anything to do with work in 2021. my god

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I would simply work harder and not be poor

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Mirthless posted:

i didn't have a good 401k program or enough money to contribute to it, i cashed out enough money to survive for three or four months and that was supposed to be my retirement savings. we made it the rest of the way on what scraps we could gather up, poo poo we could sell, etc. You look at me sharing my story of how things worked for me, personally, as an attack on your politics? Why did this become a huge debate on social services or the merits of capitalism? I was reminding you guys that inter-class fighting is pointless when we're arguing over scraps but instead you turned it into me supporting right wing politics and thinking everyone is prepared for every crisis or whatever you think I think. I don't think any of that, and the version of Mirthless you are arguing with doesn't loving exist

why are you guys like this? You're just looking for things to be spiteful about. you have this vision of who I am in your head because I make the mistake of sharing too many personal details. that shouldn't be a mistake, but we're kinda wired on SA to look at anything people reveal about themselves as a weakness to attack in the moment

i am happy to leave the thread but i am tired of being the topic of discussion. please just post about the loving number and leave me alone.

dont listen to these dweebs, just post through it

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I am responsible for all my decisions that turned out well and the rest of them were simply unlucky circumstances

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

lobster shirt posted:

for me its the opposite

make less decisions

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
250k house lmao

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Centrist Committee posted:

oh god please don’t bring the ecofatalism into this thread too

dads friend steve posted:

goddamn there’s I reason I dont read the eco doomsday thread

lol, its coming whether you want to acknowledge it or not

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
yeah I'm sure the hideously overworked IRS will jump right on the millions of transactions that bitcoin clearinghouses will be transmitting in the most obfuscated method possible

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

all these supply delays and shortages

when does it all come crashing down

c'mon already

Oops, All Whimpers

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Paradoxish posted:

The realization that hasn't yet dawned on many people is that maybe, just maybe, the current level of service/retail that exists is unsustainable and many of these business owners couldn't ever really afford to run a business in the first place without state-sanctioned poverty wages.

It's almost like we've been using unreasonable levels of growth to paper over fundamental issues.

listen fat, if I cant have poverty-stricken servants wait on me every time I go outside than I dont even know what America stands for anymore

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Mr. Pool posted:

Protestors keep taking pictures of the IFF QR badges that cops wear to not get assaulted by the robots and making stickers, so they have to rotate them every day. Dumb cop in the field gets pissed and flips off the IFF and tells RoboRover to gun down a black bloc and it turns around and murders a whole precinct for being armed intruders obstructing public property.

Elysium 2 lookin good

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

this is like when tumblr banned LGBT content. why are these people driven to kill their platform

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

shrike82 posted:

it's too bad there's no easy way to browse the old threads - there were some pretty hot takes about the economy then

people were certain about being able to wait for housing to get cheaper too

whereas you, you have never been wrong

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
patiently awaiting the crash

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
wont someone think of the massive corporations and their profits

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Fame Douglas posted:

It didn't happen those many times in the past, it won't happen this time.

flawless logic. you're a brilliant deductive mind

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
dead horse bounce

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
why on earth would you give time to your boss instead of your children. just slack off while working from home like the rest of the PMC

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

bezos buys all the farmland
"hi slaves"

https://landreport.com/2021/01/bill-gates-americas-top-farmland-owner/

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Blackhawk posted:

She's... not smart.

to think, a UBI powered by gaming...

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Fame Douglas posted:

Sorry the default you hyped yourself up about for months didn't happen. But I'm sure the US will totally default in December! I understand your frustration.

dont worry, things will always be Normal

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

The Voice of Labor posted:

thinking about buying a copy of metroid dread to help number pick up

do it

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

scary ghost dog posted:

this is nintendo, the only game dev that doesnt profit off of exploitation

lol

lmao

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

scary ghost dog posted:

if you play video games and are worried about “ethical consumption”

think i found your problem boss

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Judakel posted:

nintendo has huge freaks for fans

absolute truth

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
what no beavers does to a mfer

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

scary ghost dog posted:

im guessing they worked in an american office sitting at computers all day
NOA has been work from home since March 2020 actually

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

AnEdgelord posted:

Aren't things almost as hosed up on the Atlantic side?

guessing there are somewhat less shipments from EU & Africa compared to China

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Mola Yam posted:

i haven't checked but i'm sure america has done basically the same thing

would be stupid not to, and you don't get to be the global hegemon by being stupid

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

2021 will likely be even bigger than this but full data won't be released until January or February. The Fed has access to this data and are going "The proles are making too much, this is a problem" and telling the money folks about it.

SKULL.GIF posted:

So if average wage of still-working workers have gone up, and new job openings are posting higher wages in an attempt to entice not-working workers (aside from whether or not these efforts are legitimate), what does that tell you about where wages are going?

Anecdotally, judging from the advertisements I see everywhere about job openings, which also include government jobs, entry-level wages have gone up roughly 25-30% since before the pandemic. The absolute floor seems to now be $11.50, whereas it was $8 previously (and I know for a fact that particular location is utterly failing to hire anyone at that wage). Post office has gone from $14.79 to $18.69 entry-level wage. Retail has gone to $15+. Entry-level factory work has gone from about $17-18 posted to $22-26 posted.

Prices are climbing as well but not quite at +30% yet.

syq