Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
first page! a new era! may number go up forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
how soon before bread starts costing $100?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
god is bitcoin

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Sing Along posted:

more like Alibyebye

:lol:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
just got my covid money. put it all into uber and amazon?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

MorrisBae posted:

I've just been sending this link around to everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpk5WG-arRE

ok doomer. actual everything is going to be just fine.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/04/who...YXEyPvn-yq37N4g

quote:

Whole Foods CEO John Mackey says the key to keeping people healthy in the United States is for people to eat better and live healthier lives.

“I mean, honestly, we talk about health care. The best solution is not to need health care,” Mackey told Freakonomics Radio host Stephen Dubner in an episode released on Nov. 4.

“The best solution is to change the way people eat, the way they live, the lifestyle, and diet,” Mackey says. “There’s no reason why people shouldn’t be healthy and have a longer health span. A bunch of drugs is not going to solve the problem.”

Americans are not taking as good care of their own bodies as they ought to be, Mackey says: “71% of Americans are overweight and 42.5% are obese. Clearly, we’re making bad choices in the way we eat,” he says. “It’s not a sustainable path. And so, I’m calling it out.”

It’s not the first time Mackey has called for better lifestyles as a solution to expensive health care.

In 2009, he penned a piece for the Wall Street Journal along the same ilk, “The Whole Foods Alternative to ObamaCare,” in which he advocated for less government control of health care in the United States.

“This begins with the realization that every American adult is responsible for his or her own health,” Mackey wrote. “We should take that responsibility very seriously and use our freedom to make wise lifestyle choices that will protect our health.”

The controversial op-ed caused some to boycott Whole Foods.

While it is true that poor diet can lead to dangerous and expensive health conditions (according to a 2019 New York Times op-ed, ”[c]ardiovascular disease costs $351 billion annually in health care spending and lost productivity, while diabetes costs $327 billion annually”), and it’s critical to improve, it is not enough, says Nadereh Pourat, a professor and the director of the Health Economics and Evaluation Research Program at the UCLA Center for Health Policy Research.

“The idea that if people look after themselves and have a healthy lifestyle it will improve their health is...a fundamental concept...and many public health interventions are designed to educate individuals to do exactly that,” Pourat tells CNBC Make It.

That said, “there are other factors that lead to disease and determine the need for health care, such as genetics, adverse life events, exposure to chemicals, etc.,” and there are things like the pandemic currently going on.

“So the public health perspective is to also have a capable and effective health care system that can provide services to screen for disease or risk factors (e.g., cancer screening), provide preventive services (e.g., flu shots), and provide treatment when needed,” Pourat says.

And while Mackey recommends behavioral changes as the optimal fix for ballooning health care costs, Whole Foods provides full-time employees access to health-insurance. However Whole Foods announced that in 2020 that part-time employees who work less than 30 hours a week would no longer be eligible to buy into the company’s health-care plan. (At the time, a Whole Foods said the change would affect less than 2% of its employees and that Whole Foods would work with employees to find alternatives.)

Mackey, 67, himself is a vegan who meditates daily and monitors his own behaviors to make healthful changes.

“I see how long I slept. I see the quality of my sleep. I see what my pulse rate was for the whole night,” Mackey told Dubner. “Any time I drink any alcohol at all, my deep sleep almost completely disappears, I don’t sleep as long, my pulse rate goes up. So, my body is trying to metabolize this alcohol. And I had no idea.”

“I do think there are good [health care system] models that work,” Mackey said, pointing to Singapore, where individuals pay for routine care and insurance is used for large costs, and Switzerland, where people buy insurance from private nonprofits. But in America, ”[w]e’re not looking for the win-win-win solutions. We’re looking for win-lose solutions — my way or the highway. And it’s created a lot of anger, a lot of disappointment, a lot of frustration.”

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

2035!

Fifteen years!

The glaciers are already collapsing! Right now!

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1348653037988970497

good luck powering the car when the grid is shut off.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Looks like Trump was pretty good for Twitter.

BUY THE DIP

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
rotten tomatoes make good projectiles, less wasted milkshakes.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
:d2uk:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

I think they changed the laws regarding snack machines and fast food vendors where I'm at, but at least when I was in school kids would do anything to duck those meals. The people working in the cafeterias usually don't have any cooking experience but even if they did, there's nothing you could do with the poo poo you're provided and the menu you're expected to create.

would make for an interesting episode of chopped. or not because chopped at least has a pantry.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Happy Thread posted:

BTW that Chris Hedges video about toxic optimism in America's decline is set to private now, WTF

this might be the source: https://vimeo.com/293802639

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
will there be a moratorium for people that cant pay back taxes on unemployment? what happens to those people? i dont understand why it isnt withheld automatically.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

itt we discover GenZ literally discovering Depression-induced Insomnia

https://twitter.com/IvyKungu/status/1350682623266467841?s=19

didnt know there was a name for it but thats alright. its totally me. anxiety induced i would say though.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Jan 18, 2021

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Nah, only around a quarter (25%) had a cellphone before age 10.

Their parents are mostly Gen X too.

Alpha is Millinial's kids.

alpha is what im worried about. we failed them.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

tbf this is a kind of separate thing from insomnia/depression

I used to do this years ago before I started working remotely because I'm naturally a night owl and 12-5am-ish was the only time I really felt like I had to myself. It got bad enough that I ended up going in for a sleep study because I was getting maybe 24 hours of sleep per week. It's kind of distinct from insomnia because you know you're doing it and have some amount of control over it, but stopping can feel even worse because it's like hours of free times are just vanishing. I basically couldn't fix it until I quit my job.

did things get better after quitting? im in the same situation. might be doing an interview soon.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Junkiebev posted:

I’m selling my condo in downtown Chicago b/c my family is outgrowing it (due in 6 months) and looking to buy but I might rent for a year instead of buy immediately b/c I think the market is going to eat poo poo and I’m having a crisis b/c if I’m right and the wheels come off the car I’ll have sold at highs but inflation will make new highs and I’ll just have a bunch of burning liquid currency.

my old lady is pricing larger places and lol that she thinks I’m buying a $500k home with a one-worker (me) income

hail satan

how many rooms is $500k for you? just curious.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

yeah, but I wouldn't dare suggest that anyone generalize from my case

I went from a high-stress educational IT job where I'd routinely have to work huge amounts of overtime to remote contract work where I now have 100% control over my schedule. I can say without exaggeration that it fixed basically every aspect of my life. hell, I lost 100 lbs in the first year after leaving that job.

my job is remote but has gradually turned into massive overtime work. im not getting paid this week even due to lack of revenue. yeah... :smith:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

uh yeah it seems so. :stare:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

lol I wonder if this would apply to teachers

ugh. probably not, especially in chicago.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
putting my savings into gamestop.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
and it's gone.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

oxsnard posted:

wait why is that happening? Can't keep up

its not.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
should we start linking the suicide hotline? jfc

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i bought some shares, but not gme. time to get my hands dirty, why not.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

fanfic insert posted:

bloomberg lady saying stock dont go up forever :confuoot:

WE DID IT EVERYONE!! :woop:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Lmao that people in this thread jumped on the train like this

silence non-believer! number is immortal.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Nonsense posted:

gold plated Gamestop exclusive PS5 incoming

lol seems legit. my uncle is the ceo.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Bought 70 dollars more of amc to the moon alice to the moon

looks like its running out of steam and settling.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
gently caress it, 420 shares of amc lol

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Jan 27, 2021

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Wow thanks goons I decided not to drop 150 into amc

oh god what have i done

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

oh btw did I mention to not loving trade at all under the influence of anything?

too late

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

oxsnard posted:

with the potential to make a few hundred dollars by doing nothing, the entire leftist internet forum becomes defenders of capitalism

if i fail horribly and take down the whole system with it then i can probably live with it.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

cumshitter posted:

i was wrong earlier put everything you have into AMC and BB RIGHT NOW. im pulling out my entire home equity line of credit

done and DONE. :worship:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Paladin posted:

"Tootsie Roll. We were there for your grandad's Great Depression, we'll be here for yours, and your grandkids."

survived multiple depressions??? BUY BUY BUY!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

PawParole posted:

300$ calls on GME just opened up.

why do you place the dollar sign after the number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

You're laughing. A hedge fund is losing billions of dollars and you're laughing.
/
|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0EBBqbeqIM