Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I’m going to loving die laughing if the first major thing in 2021 not related to the US admin is /r/wsb destroying the financial markets. also I’m buying AMC and Tootsie Roll. this is loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

lol GME showing 209.46 AH atm. this loving owns, I really hope it sustains through the short call timeline. 2021 owning so far, other than the COVID poo poo still
obv.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

A couple hedge firms have absolutely lost their battle here. Based on the size of some of the buys going on, "capital" more broadly is playing both sides of the table, as always.

yeah this isn’t one weird trick to change the world
or anything, I imagine other targets like AMC et al are factored in for smart money now or very soon. it’s still awesome because it did several cool things - showed the disconnect between economic contribution and market value, showed the predatory nature of non-investor players, showed the impact that small retail investors can have, and was holy gently caress hilarious.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

soup. posted:

Here, "factoring it in" means buying the underlying stock to cover a naked short. Guess what that does to the price?

Gonna be weird to watch the melt ups as desks start panic buying to get their swim trunks in order.

I know but let’s not get carried away thinking some significant amount of the market exists in short positions on AMC and tootsie rolls. big picture this is nothing, but the HFT systems and people who run large desks have probably noticed was my point.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Laterite posted:

it's fun and funny

I think people are forgetting how important this part is

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

wait. no. not like that...

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

dead gay comedy forums posted:

not a bunch, way more than that

I think the most understated part of the story is the people who aren't like redditors or really online at all but going along the tide by the advice of a boyfriend (who is the extremely online person), stuff like that. There is far more people at the throats there than just the online folks. Going by reddit, there are single moms, nurses, teachers, care providers for elderly... They make the horde viable, so to speak

yeah I think this is important, wsb has a lot of subscribers but not that many. but the ability for a community of small retail investors to then drive a, well, I dunno what this is, is super interesting. and also, if the last day a bit are an indication, really funny.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Stereotype posted:

they're just gonna make it so normal people can't do trading

can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube - but I’ll bet there’s somebody at whiteboard trying to figure out how you can. (fees, broker poo poo, minimum buys)

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

just quoting cause a tribe called red is really great and if you don’t know them you should try

e; oh and yeah even here in Canada I have a zero fee acct that I can buy nyse (or w/e) on, although it delayed a bit but yeah there’s not a lot of fee pressure - there was a race to the bottom on that to get your investment $

squirrelzipper has issued a correction as of 08:21 on Jan 27, 2021

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

cumshitter posted:

you know iw as surprised to find that id fit in in c-spam as a finance guy but now im happy that everyone can share my love of money. also that i can give advice. i kind of fell into finance by accident but now im getting a master's in financial planning becuase i legit enjoy helping people navigate the hellish financial landscape

every time someone says, "thank you cumshitter" it makes me smile and poo poo a little cum

it’s about the friends we make on the way cumshitter

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

BeefThief posted:

i like money

too late

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

kicks forts posted:

Is this unique to the us stock market? Are the "numbers" "global"?

pretty much, you can generally trade on any international exchange but for practical reasons nyse and nasdaq are basically global exchanges at this point.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

cumshitter posted:

i live on the plague isthmus, which is actually a peninsula

if Jose turns that deal down, let us know. it might take my partner some convincing, but that’s a really nice place

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

kicks forts posted:

I will also eat a 97 y/o's front mansion out if it gets me a ticket to the mainland.

I feel like we’ve stumbled onto a discarded script for how I met your mother

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

and yet cat lovers get mad at me when i point out your cat will eat your corpse before it's even cold while a dog will protect your corpse with all of their abilities

i like cats but a cat is more like a cooler than you roommate who likes hanging out but definitely isn't your friend and a dog is more like a weird protective mentally handicapped sibling

I have always had both. the dog assures me that I am magnificent and made of stars. the cat reminds me so is everything and I’m insignificant. it works.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Accretionist posted:

That's some next level poo poo, though.

yeah I don’t buy the dog vs cat thing it’s dumb they both rule, but the protective parasite virus thing is pretty loving neat.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Gods_Butthole posted:

Dog love is unconditional and therefor valueless. If you earn the trust and love of a cat you know you deserve it.

my dog is my best friend, my cat is my harshest critic, but loves me just as much. it pains me but I think this is true though I dispute valueless. cats still a dick tho.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Owner, yelling at top of their voice from the back office after cracking the door open: "LOOK, I'M WILLING TO RISK IT TOO, IT'S NO BIG DEAL"

Nope, this is just a chud and chicago school idiot myth. The margins are there to pay more, just no organized movement to force them to which is the necessary precondition nobody wants to talk about

restaurant margins are stupid slim. but so what, raise prices. like your lovely egg sandwich knockoff goes from 7.65 to 8.99. people will still pay it. I work in hospitality tech and the race to the bottom mentally is a terrible loving blight, particularly since 50%+ of restaurants are serving the same Sysco garbage. I sometimes point people to this post (not that I agree with her viewpoints or ideas in all cases) because most restaurants operate at a 5-7% margin. what they fail to realize is that’s their own fault in many ways and racing to cut prices is a stupid baby fools game that hurts everyone. https://joelleparenteau.medium.com/why-are-restaurants-so-hosed-ca07c4624745

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

put the white collar enforcement department on commission

oh this is such a terrible idea and I love it. staff it with whale hunting enterprise sales people with like lawyers and investigators as a support function. be amazing.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

heh, I bet the clever solution is less regulation on traditional banks.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah, deep dish'll do that

I’ve never had deep dish, I’ve had almost all the variants and I’ve been to Chicago on business but never got one. I’m going to have to rectify that.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't see how Onlyfans can "pivot" away from the only thing they do???

their advertising of late is trying to position it as an arts friendly platform - songwriters, singers, musicians feature heavily. doubt it will work but that seems to be the angle.

e; oh and fitness just saw a promoted post on Reddit for x fit on onlyfans so yeah

squirrelzipper has issued a correction as of 03:55 on Jun 20, 2021

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Xaris posted:

$5 footlon was dead by like 2012 replaced by 6" long $6-ers

also all the produce turned into translucent-wilty slimy garbage. subway is god-awful. quiznos and togos (rip) was at least good

why rip Togo’s - they’re stil around, no idea if it’s a good sandwich but I do some work with them and know they’re still operating.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Forseti posted:

I think people are confusing "can do the same thing as a skilled human" with "can fake it well enough that an executive can make a shitload of money and escape before it falls apart".

Flat pack furniture will never be as good as something built by a master carpenter, but it's good enough to make a shitload of money for Target.

Yeah it's this, I guess I'm a 'white-collar' worker in that I manage and create creative projects (video, print, illustration, content) but I have no doubt at all that once some bright-eye creates an algo that can do creative 'good enough' it's over. Will it be good? No. Will it be 'good enough'? Undoubtedly, since most executives don't really give a poo poo anyway.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I just spent a week in Paris by necessity, this is underselling it, you cannot find mustard in France for love or money. they will be burning cars over this soon. like I had a middle aged man yelling at me about how society has failed because he can’t buy moutarde. they don’t take this poo poo lightly.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Dustcat posted:

also you can make a pizza without letting it ferment and it's still better and almost as fast as delivery

the doomsday ec difference is that now a delivery pizza is no longer something a middle class family can regularly have for dinner because it costs a day's minimum wages

yeah there’s quick doughs that come together under an hour that work good - although the fridge trick is good too. if you’ve got a way to get up to 500 degrees you can make a decent pizza for way less. but you know what, delivery is awesome and I’m sad that kids playing d&d or watching movies are getting priced out of ordering a bunch of pizzas. or you know, families. sucks.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I billed over $30b a year for six years, what did you bill

Lol the war cry of a true leftist. lmao

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

You've got a shitload of posts in the 5k professional computer hardware thread and exactly one here.

makes you think

ok lol. keep humble bragging about your 100k salary while making GBS threads on other workers my man. everyone loves that.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Tell us more about your Mac Pro.

It's a computer. It does things I like. Tell me more about how you billed $3B a year but are really the hero of the proletariat but also how you've overcome so much but also how you are worth so much more but also...wait, never mind, you tell every thread you in that relentlessly. My bad.

^^ laffo that's what you've got? Oh my friend your game is so weak.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Tell us more about your $10K computer.

It's a laptop that cost far less than 1/2 that, but you know that. You're just delusional desperate to be seen as something you're not.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Tell us more about your $4999 computer.

Lol I was going to go quote a prob you ate from the last time we tangled in this very thread a while back but then I looked at your rap sheet, lmao. Mods suck but somehow you suck even worse.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

I wonder how home prices are looking in Pittsburgh this evening...

More importantly, what's the cycling like there?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Twitter is a propaganda platform for capital and has been for years.

Says the man who works in insurance. insurance.

Insurance.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I don't care about six figure twitter workers getting laid off and there's nothing that you're going to say here to make me care. They're our upper crust. They'll get a new job within a few weeks. They're not owed my sympathy.

Ok man, but honestly you make 6 figgies in private health insurance of all loving industries. A lot of the twitter people losing jobs will be 50k - 180k folks. Like you don't see the hypocrisy here?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Show me some 50-180K Twitter employees getting laid off.

Uh I mean this is being widely reported?

quote:

The Washington Post previously reported that Musk planned to cut nearly 75 percent of the workforce of 7,500. One of the people familiar with the discussions said this week the cuts would be closer to 50 percent.

You think that doesn't include the admin and entry level folks or something?

https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/29/23430332/elon-musk-twitter-reportedly-ordered-company-wide-layoffs

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/29/technology/twitter-layoffs-musk-jobs.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/10/20/musk-twitter-acquisition-staff-cuts/

https://www.tmz.com/2022/10/29/elon-musk-twitter-layoffs-imminent-stock-grants/

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Show me some $50-180k twitter employees getting laid off.

w/e dude you're a disingenuous rear end in a top hat. pity.

e; it's been a day. you know it's coming but you're so invested in yourself you can't even walk back that take. it's kind of pathetic.

squirrelzipper has issued a correction as of 06:24 on Oct 30, 2022

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

afaik these are bullshit, a bunch of folks staged 'layoffs' that weren't real for, I dunno, media attention? The axe is expected to fall Monday as it's the last day before a bunch of benefits/vesting rolls over.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/10/28/twitter-layoffs-hoax-pranksters-trick-media-outlets-pose-fired-employees-elon-musk/

https://nypost.com/2022/10/28/pranksters-posing-as-laid-off-twitter-employees-trick-media-outlets/

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/twitter-hoax-employees-laid-off-elon-musk

e; to be clear I hope Twitter gets sucked into hell along with Meta where they both deserve to be, I just also hope that people who have salaried jobs there are treated humanely in the downfall. Unsurprisingly I little faith of either occurring and expect rather the opposite to happen.

squirrelzipper has issued a correction as of 06:46 on Oct 30, 2022

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

DancingShade posted:

It's great to see so many "tech" writers not immediately get the "ligma balls" reference. Zero curiosity. Zero investigation. Zero effort.

I mean have you seen what passes for serious political journalism? Rhetorical - I know you have. This is our future. Zeros. Except when it sells ad space. And even that's failing.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Yeah it's less effort than some YouTuber posting videos filmed in their kitchen. Except they draw a salary and have a massively over inflated sense of self worth and importance.

Good old legacy yellow media. Jobs for the kids of important / well connected rich people.

It's honestly infuriating that some cooking/gaming/hobby YouTubers/TikTok content people have more nuanced and better researched takes on topics related to labor law, fiscal policy, election rights, etc. etc. Like wtf. This person does woodworking videos and just made a totally coherent and cogent argument for universal basic income, and our mainstream media is like "Hey yeah but what about that cat video - now let's tune into Obama talking to people in Wisconsin WHOOOOO!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

i say swears online posted:

how many y'all like pegs?

I mean there's a tongue and groove joke here that I'm not clever enough to make.