Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Paradoxish posted:

American homes and structures just aren't made to run without some form of climate control. The (brand new, extremely expensive) apartment building that I was in in 2018 after a house fire would literally send a maintenance person to your apartment if your AC was off for too long in the summer because they were so concerned about mold.

I live in concrete apartment for 33 years in a tropical rainforest climate without AC and I have never seen mold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

im on the net me boys posted:

working at CVS and having to stock shelves full of plastic imported seasonal bullshit that didn’t sell really cracked my ping. it’s astounding how much landfill bound bullshit we import

Part of my anti-consumerist psych strategy is to think about about how much extra clutter and dust I would have to handle if I bought something new

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Nice and hot piss posted:

All that matters in this world is having a sick rear end car and spinning rimz.. If you have that then you have achieved peak success in this world

Boringshit

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DoomTrainPhD posted:

:qqsay: Why are they using the same tactics we use! It's not faiiiiirrr!!! :qqsay:

Every free market advocate ever

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bob dobbs is dead posted:

singapore had really cheap housing prices for decades cuz 90% housing was nationalized. still is nationalized, just that they figured out a way to speculate again so prices went up

It's called "loving boomers"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Relevant Tangent posted:

lol 20 mpg at best good christ

More like 12 mpg in the real world

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Last time I watched Twitched was in 2013 for Shoddy Battles

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Centrist Committee posted:

youtube recently made some change that broke a lot of ad blocking and made things much shittier, capitalism is so stupid it will eventually make even the endless frontier of the Internet unbearable

Exhibit #1: Group tabs in mobile Chrome shoved down your throat

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

cool av posted:

yeah but .05% is an insanely high interest rate if it’s applied in full over a day, like 20% annual return risk free to the point where no other investment makes any sense at all if that’s true. makes much more sense they’re getting 24hr worth of an annual .05%

If I could have that 0.05% per day right now I would instantly retire at the age 33.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

cool av posted:

he believes in the tech, and if it just happens to also make money, great! if not, at least he did something good and he's a part of the future.

That's a lot of words to spell "greed"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Thoguh posted:

Bitcoin miners are gonna own themselves when they get multimillion dollar power bills for using electricity during a shortage because they are from a country with a functioning power grid that doesn't randomly spike to 100x cost.

This was a CCP plot all along?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

OK baizuo posted:

I was gonna say I hoped that the mean ol' commies confiscated the Bitcoiners hardware but letting them send it all to Texas is much more funny

Incoming NYTimes op-ed: CCP unwilling to seize crypto hardware. Is the CCP losing power and abandoning it's environmental mandate?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Transitory is short form for "we hosed you over hard, will continue to do so and you will like it"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I doubt they did but it’s incredibly obvious that they’re not going to find anyone else alive

Who cares, muh rugged individualism

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

silentsnack posted:

no matter which direction they point the emergency money hose to fix poo poo, they always somehow end up flooding rich asshats' portfolios instead.

Method can be mind boggling complex but the aim is always simple

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The TrueAnon series on Musk is really good. I'm not a fan of everything they do, but they laid out really well the Tesla shell game. At the end, Liz said that Tesla's fall was a matter of when, not if. What if it's not and TBTF is a new paradigm for the next stage of capitalism. A sort of techno-feudalism where there's a founder class that can only fail upward, but the peasants are also invested in their success because failure of the founders' shell game companies would mean the loss of the peasants' jobs and savings. One class can afford to lose a fortune, and the other can't afford to lose even the crumbs they have, so the founders don't even have to defend this system, the peasants will do it for them. If the bubble looks like it'll pop, no worries, the workers will immiserate themselves further to keep it going.

I already seen my share of management taking on obvious loss-making projects just to pad their resumes then leave before the losses get accounted for lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rutibex posted:

it was an inside job. the cargo was picked up by pirates who were waiting nearby

pirate steel cant melt jet cargo

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rectal Death Adept posted:

This kind of mentality explains how I've had the same conversation with managers at different facilities probably 100+ times.

"So this machine is rated for 120 units per minute"
"Yes"
"Okay so we should get 7,200 units an hour. 50,400 in a production day"
"No, more like 20,000 - 25,000. For 36 different reasons."
"WHAT?!?!"

When you involve making money people seem to do the math they want to which is ignoring maintenance and upkeep.

Yup maintenance is always the first casualty in capitalism

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Lmao even low-tier public housing already broke $100K after subsidies in Singapore by mid-90s.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Real hurthling! posted:

someone will just make stuff with no chips in it like they used to and sell it i guess

ECUs for cars now already seems insanely overengineered for what they should be doing

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stereotype posted:

it also cost as much as the budget shortfall for schools that the city closed by cutting teacher salaries

Don't you love uplifting stories of principals working at Walmart to keep their schools running

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Maximum_Succ.jpg

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

on the subject of shrinkflation: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2021/07/06/1012409112/beware-of-shrinkflation-inflations-devious-cousin

:shuckyes:

I do appreciate the "we're doing this for the environment" shoutout. really nails that you're doing your part citizen vibe

Anything claiming to be for the environment lights up the cynical bullshit processing area in my brain

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

super sweet best pal posted:

And US companies aren't?

Just they have the Fed give endless trillions to them and call the whole thing free market meritocracy

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Bar Ran Dun posted:

crews sizes are mandated by treaty, as specified by the safe manning certificate, they can’t really just have less people on the ship.

From what I read, crew sizes for cargo vessels are down to half of that in the 90s and they also get much less rest since ports are so much more efficient

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao hell yeah. Everyone is doing their duty forced to spend spend spend and it still doesn't satisfy the markets. They also need billions in funny money.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

overmind2000 posted:

At this point they'd be better served by buying their own ships and building an Amazon port on the west coast served by Amazon Rail

Transport apocalypse is real and my friend and it's gonna loving tear through them in the next year

Good luck with economic parasites laying down actual productive capital

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Paradoxish posted:

I actually gave up cycling (sold my bike even) a few years ago because I had to rent a vehicle to haul a bunch of stuff on really short notice and I ended up with an insanely overpriced Yukon because I couldn't get a van or pickup from anywhere. At one point a cyclist literally vanished from my field of view. Like I knew where he was because I saw him, and then he was gone into a blindspot. I'm 6' 1" and always drive with car seats way up in the oldest man position, and I still could not loving see this cyclist that I was passing.

Said gently caress it and haven't ridden on a public street since.

At one time I couldn't even see a motorbike in my van's blind spot while explicitly checking for the latter.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rutibex posted:

the government doesn't even need to do anything. If they just stopped paying police to evict people the landlord problem would solve itself

How many years before cops outspend the annual budget of the entire Chinese military...One?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

spacetoaster posted:

I posted a while back about my local home depot not being able to re-stock hammers. They got some in, but it wasn't enough to fill the rack. Shelves still have stuff on them, but there's a lot of gaps.

US now only holds just 18% of the China's export market. World trade as a whole isn't exactly caring much for the US even before US domestic supply troubles.

In particular, SE Asia was a bigger trade fish to fry than the US for China even before Covid happened.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mr Hootington posted:

Luckily Powell said these high prices will be here to stay!

Economists: We ain't hacks, just everything is transitionary

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

I think you’ll find the industry term is Housing as a Service (HaaS). of course the service is having a roof and maybe four walls, don’t expect any actual service or maintenance as it decays around you

Amazon Housing Services when

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

fanfic insert posted:

But the law firm also suggested that a larger unit would prevent the paper from attracting and retaining talent.

Lotsa talent required to ctrl + C/V from CIA handlers

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stereotype posted:

wow that system sounds super robust and i am confident that it will continue without problems forever

If we fed people well enough we wouldn't be able to extract GeeDeePees from preventable chronic health conditions

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Chinese Social Credit played on an IMAX projector

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rutibex posted:

i went though my amazon list of all the supplies i have been hording throughout 2020 and i'm feeling pretty good about buying those screws right now :smug:

T R A N S I T O R Y

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Xaris posted:

inshallah

the complete annihlation of (D) is going to be hilarious.

What if the goal of (D) is to not win

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

readingatwork posted:

Remember, stocks are a reflection of the wealth hoards of the wealthy (since at a certain point you can't spend anymore so you just stick it in stocks). The actual explanation isn't necessarily that a crash is imminent (though it might be) but that Covid is accelerating the transfer of wealth up the food chain. There probably won't be a crash until some major event (perhaps a pullout of a war that ends a bunch of profiteering?) costs rich people a ton of money and forces them to sell. Though our government seems committed to just printing money to solve those kind of issues so it might not happen even then.

Anyways look forward to headlines like "Half of all Americans now living in the woods and resorting to cannibalism as DOW reaches record highs"

80% of all stonks are held by just 10% of the populace

The bottom 20% of the US population has zero or negative net assets

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mr Hootington posted:

I agree. It should be interesting. We are supposed to get Fed meeting notes from Jackson hole this week and everyone assumes it was talk about or announce taper in 2022.

So much Afghanistan nation building vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Minrad posted:

lol that like exactly matches my casual observation of fast food prices last week

but have you considered the other zillion widgets that didn't had their prices raised which you will never need

checkmate commies