Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

MikeCrotch posted:

Seriously - in order to form a company in the UK you don't need to provide any evidence you are a real person, there are lots of companies called poo poo like.aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabb ltd and one journalist founded a company with his cat as the founder and no one ever checked any documents

The 2010 coalition government also slashed the budget for HMRC (British equivalent to IRS) which HMRC said limited their ability to investigate financial wrongdoing

Tracing money laundering in the UK is basically impossible as a result (by design)

fun fact: this journo is the only person to have be prosecuted for company document fraud lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

how can I see firsthand who is making big market shifting trades?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

oxsnard posted:

you can't (and that's by design), lots of twitter chatter on someone blowing up. Could be related to greensill, which is extremely spicy

if not who, then screens like this, where you can see big moves?

https://twitter.com/nope_its_lily/status/1375542025269878785?s=21

I mean like with terminal access (although better without) like what do I have to search for to see this stuff?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

what are some cool things to do with a bloomberg terminal?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/fadingrallies/status/1379517673185361925?s=21

https://twitter.com/nope_its_lily/status/1379544719085117443?s=21

lmao we gonna have a liquidity drought again

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

ok so let me see if I've got this right -

in normal times there would be a large number of standing offers to buy a stock of it dropped a significant amount, with the size of the total increasing rapidly as you get further from the current price because people think "oh hey that would be a good deal because I think the company's fundamental value is X".

now however once you get away from the current price there is essentially nothing. probably because the money that would be hanging out to buy discounted stock is currently off chasing leprechaun gold at 6x leverage and because nobody is actually basing anything on fundamentals so once you get away from the "it must be a good deal at X-1 because it is currently at X" folks there's nobody.

due to that if someone big needs to sell (for example to satisfy a margin call triggered by another investment going south) the price is going to poo poo itself. and because a lot of the holdings of the stocks are on margin if that happens the holders might be forced to liquidate other stocks to satisfy their margin requirements. but those other stocks have the same situation going on so that forced sale might cause them to poo poo themselves too in a potentially explosive chain reaction.

that about right?

this is a very good explanation

also loving the idea that someone could maliciously (for profit) pinch a hole in the whole house of cards lol

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/davies_will/status/1380045873040781313?s=21

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

will Davies rocks you should read his book about happiness

will davis is also a massive Twitter shitposter, someone buy him an account lol

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

financial infrastructure is still infrastructure

true, but true in the worst way possible

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Parametric fund earns ‘Gamma Hammer’ moniker with bet on tranquil markets https://on.ft.com/3nxIjYW

ARCHEGOS ROUND 2 MOTHAFUCKERS
:pray:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

https://www.ft.com/content/cc50c224-0444-418b-b335-782916f8b967

thanks for the Friday night push notification FT, lololing my loving rear end off over here

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Nothus posted:

Crypto is now too big to fail.

both the worst and the funniest option

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The hosed up used car market is appropriate to the thread.

no one cares about used cars

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

nick land chat itt has been very good. the terrifying thing about land is not so much his conclusions (which are terrifying enough) but the wider intellectual space he inhabits. in so far as land is probably the most sophisticated neo-reactionary thinker, being distinguished as one of the few who fit this description that actually have trained as philosophers. as other posters have pointed out his analysis actually goes somewhere before concluding that corporate fascism stomping the human face to extinction, is good actually. while other neo-reactionaries just get to it’s good actually out of hype racist randian wank fantasies paid for by literal blood suckers billionaires like theil.

people tend to laugh off neo-reactionaries but we I really don’t think the left should. as I think they are a taste of where the ‘mainstream’ alt-right and the money driving them is going to end up before people wake up to just how insanely dangerous they are.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i'm actually going to devil's advocate here a little and say that the nrx people are not as scary as they seem. the reason i think this is that the causal chain here is not particularly hard to unwind; you have people like land who are genuinely serious about their philosophy (which happens to have led them to a point where they are arguing earnestly for the most psychotic evil imaginable), and you have guys like yarvin who might be serious but are probably just misanthropes, but the reason either of these guys has a platform is that there are steely-eyed capital interests behind them.

these interests want to promote the idea that democracy and liberalism (as in, the political movement dating back to the enlightenment, not the particular left-of-center tendency that we call "liberalism" in the states) are in fact bad things and should be gotten rid of. they want this for fairly straightforward reasons: they are rapacious greedlords who want to rule the world. they therefore promote these ideas in order to get them into circulation so they can begin applying political pressure to bring them about. they're very teleological, but not in the same way land is; he thinks society is going somewhere because of demiurgic forces, they just want to push society in roughly the same direction for personal gain.

there was a period in 2017 or so when the capitalists behind this thought that nrx was catching on. that was when you had steve bannon in the white house and all this weird esoteric poo poo he's linked to going on. but it turns out that there is a much quicker, easier way to push society in the direction capital wants, and that's through the tried-and-true method of weaponizing whiteness. the nrx project, to me, was an experiment in finding an alternate path, since they assumed that modern liberal anti-racism was a far more powerful and durable force than it turned out to be. you can if you want compare the trump 2016 and trump 2020 campaigns; the trump 2016 campaign hints darkly at all sorts of strange things but the trump 2020 campaign was pretty much straightforward grievance politics of the kind that the GOP has practiced for decades. i think you can also see how many of the figures who were deplatformed in 2016-2020 were specifically the nrx types like bannon, milo, etc. what's left behind are basically just trolls like Charlie Kirk saying "what about black on black crime?" and "it's ok to be white!" just like republicans have for ages.

in other words, they tried nrx, got somewhere with it, then realized they didn't need it and there's a much easier route to political hegemony. i think nrx ideas have actually lost credit since 2016, since the modern-day GOP's war on Woke Corporatism has basically exposed that their vision of the state's relation to capital still fundamentally subjugates capital to the will of the state.

i could be wrong of course but to me the danger of the american right lies not in nick land and whatever esoterica he's cooked up to justify LARPing shadowrun; it's in the mccloskeys and crystal minton, the status-anxious petit bourg who feel squeezed between capital from above and liberatory social movements from below. as their fingernails slip off the ledge they'll still be furiously kicking down, because their worldview will always lead them to blame the people in the abyss they're falling into rather than the people pushing them.

it would be nice to think that this has wiped them out but I have a far bleaker worry that they are the ‘vanguard’ of that sort ideological position. sure it might not be needed now but where would a hegemonic right go after it wins is war on wokeness? pressing further to the nrx extreme is the next step as no way does that form of fascism just doubles down on its contradictions at the same time it hands un opposed power over to the same people that supported nrx in the first place. obviously I hope that will never come to pass, but it’s not a possibility that should be shrugged off. accelerationist doomerism isn’t going to die if as people sober up to the reality of climate change it’s going to get worse as they attempt to escape by doubling down on all the worst aspects of the present which is what nrx ideology does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Petey posted:

honestly part of the thing i wonder abt with people like land and some of his contemporaries is: how many overeducated, underemployed intellectuals have been driven into neoreactionary politics by the complete collapse of their own individual economic and personal opportunities

i mean it's terribly unfashionable and unsophisticated to attribute any intellectual development to the biography of the author these days, but still.

I would also agree with this, it’s rife in their writing about the ‘cathedral’ and the power the ascribe to universities, and their ‘dark enlightenment’ shtick. the trajectory is perhaps already well established route of obscure/contrarian left academia > precarious employment (perhaps not unrelated to the first one) > disillusionment and resentment > down the rabbit hole of nrx with a right wing grift reward. thrown in mental health, addiction, abuse etc and it’s not hard to see how this can happen.