Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

thalweg posted:

69 hours in GIMP, and i have no idea if it's even funny anymore but im posting it anyway goddammit

Clearly an American passport, 0.5/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

If I pulled my money every time the market was irrational I'd have done so in 2017

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

If everyone is employed, that means if you want to hire someone new you need to lure them away from an existing job

If there's a consistent pool of unemployed people, that keeps wages low because you're competing with unemployment instead of a wage

That's "slack"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Those are starvation rations

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress I wish I could just tell whole rear end governments "gib money plz"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Wutang-Yutani CORP posted:

What is a 51% attack?

My understanding of this is that what defines the "true" blockchain is kept consistent between parties through consensus/verification between clients, measured in terms of the balance of recorded computing power effort

If nodes you controlled somehow constituted more than half of the ledger, you could effectively forge docs and rewrite the history of that chain because your fake ledger outnumbers/outweighs the "true" consensus

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Hahaha so if I understand this right, insane inflation of almost everything important (and insaner inflation of everything unimportant) is happening in all but name

Can't wait for my years of diligent saving to be decimated in value

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

So how are rich people going to keep something like this from happening again

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Have the fat cats really not found a way to stop this yet

They're gonna complain to the refs and the fed is going to bail them out because that's what happens every loving time

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Raccooon posted:

Any rule made to counter WSB would also apply to something like traders talking about their stock positions on Bloomberg terminals.

Probably that would be exempted though cause that’s rich people.

lol that's how laws are made my dude they'll find the right carveouts

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Hahaha how many fuckin newsletters exist with stock grades or just a "hot or not" section

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

realtalk this is actually the most dangerous thing to happen to a first-time investor and I super recommend you have an exit strategy unless you're ok with this money being decimated

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

If this is your first time trading options, loving DON'T

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

PawParole posted:

Elon Musk is in the Wall Street bet discord lol

lmao I bought $50 worth just before close, time to buy myself Picross S5 :whatup:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

lol this guy is gonna be furious

he named it after his grandfather

Hey my grandfather was named Melvin too, I'm just talking my share

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

GEMorris posted:

So I went from losing 5k in shorts in the fall, and my 401k being down 10k due to short positions, to GME crack pinging my brain and deciding to spend 7k on meme stocks

300 AMC ($4.38) and a smattering of GOGO, BBBY, FIZZ, MAC, SKT, ASO

All highly shorted stocks, I'm ready to ride this into the ground for the lmaos.

Also I bought 2 $6 call option AMC lottery tickets today that are already in the money.

This poo poo has finally broken my brain. Money makes no sense and the market makes even less.

Hey idiot don't play options with your retirement accounts

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

cumshitter posted:

i just cant believe how beauitful the world is

i bought gamestop in the high double digits and AMC under $5

because i read interent forums im rich. i never have to work again. i can put that money in dividend paying ETF and live off what i calculate to be $130K/year

thank you, lowtax

Same but I only bought 1 GME and 10 AMC

I can pay for a week's rent!!!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

kreeningsons posted:

this guy can get completely hosed. he used his Enron dollars to fund a surveillance plane that circled my city for months and then sold the footage to the cops. for six months during normal working hours I could hear this extremely grating engine buzzing noise of this little Cessna with a high resolution camera going around and around in circles.

Wait, did they even stop? I feel like I still hear it a few times a week, though that could just be police helis

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Senator Mcmurder posted:

Bought BB on Friday, just sold now for 10$ more per share. Made over 1000$ in profit for clicking a button twice, all in a tax free account. How is the economy even real? It's getting very hard to go back to pretending to do my real job after that. :crackping:

Don't daytrade with your retirement accounts

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

so if NOK doesn't make me money tat means I can put it down and render it into glue right

You can write up to $3k in losses off if you're in the USA

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

samantonio posted:

I hope they do shut down the markets so the big guys "realign" their positions. There are 3.5 million people following that subreddit. And everyone on social media is aware of this reddit push. There would be riots on wall street if they actively gently caress these kids out of their money.

idk everyone was pretty aware of the housing crisis in 2009 and nobody got strung up

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Keegers posted:

I can't wait to see the legislation that is being written as we speak to stop retail traders from winning ever again.

"If you hold less than $10k in assets you have to hold for at least 3 days" or somesuch

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

lmao I just realized this poo poo is going to be taught in finance classes until the American empire collapses in 2027

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

cumshitter posted:

one of my favorite al franken jokes is from one of his books back when enron was a thing

Ken Lay, calling up Al Franken: Al, no matter what you hear, don't sell your Enron stock. It's fine. I'm actually buying more.

Al Franken: Do you want to buy mine?

-click-

I love his books and I fully credit Lies and the Lying Liars who Tell Them with turning me left

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

vanguard doesn’t appear to restrict the meme stocks.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Oil! posted:

Yeah, but Vanguard wants 2 days to TAKE MY loving MONEY (that I am putting into index funds). Hopefully the meme stock coverings hits the S&P hard again today and Friday.

ime transferred funds are available within an hour or so even if they haven’t cleared yet. I do have substantial vanguard holdings tho

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Vanguard is the only institution I'd trust to not do something like this

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

lol welp my NOK buy order has been pending on Vanguard for more than the few seconds I'd expect it too, even though a sell order went through fine

gently caress

e: Nevermind, it executed in about 5 minutes. Buying still possible.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I successfully traded memes on Vanguard, so it's still possible.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

PawParole posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JSeyff/status/1354807708067614722

it might just be that their app is trash, in which case lmao.

lol more likely Citadel knows it's better to stop the bleeding now and deal with the fallout than continue to allow their assholes to be blown out

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Crunchy Black posted:

um okay they can actually get in trouble for this

P sure this dude just got margin called

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

PawParole posted:

people will buy more options which will shoot the price up.

whole lotta people gonna get hosed when they discover how options work

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

samantonio posted:

Cramer: "I'm calling in from the hospital because I just can't stand to see people lose money."

He's doped up on pain meds right now. Sounds like he might cry.

remember always that "people" means "those that sign my checks"

If you are worth less than a few mil you are subhuman to this jackal

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Made rent on GME and AMC but I'm the NOK bagholder lol

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Crow Zone posted:

ha ha someone one instagram posted one of the designs I made this summer (but abandoned/didn't make a sticker out of) for the GME stuff

I had posted it on imgur and whatever but didn't feel like it was worth putting much time into. I uploaded it as a sticker this morning and linked it but no bites.

I'd buy this

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Price of oil isn't going to go up. It's been steadily going down since around 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_gvvj56rzw

Welp that's a crack and a ping

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

oxsnard posted:

all the orthodox jews in atlanta will 100% vote for her too

What in the world

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the US military does not really have legitimacy either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo4i1qD63Ss

the pacific fleet is crumbling to the point that it'll take years for it to be ready for actual combat

oh word a branch of the US government says it's on the precipice of calamity unless it receives a hot cash infusion for decades this is unprecedented

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

yeah this milnerd is reading DOD material prepped for congress to ensure they get a poo poo ton of funding

no poo poo it makes it sound like america is at risk oh my god we need more gun/boats/people

At a bare minimum 25% of all man hours of each military division is dedicated to justifying next year's budget

Just imagine meetings where management discusses how to run down the budget with extraneous purchases to justify next year's funding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I bought NOK at $6 and while I can't do a quick flip I genuinely think I'll make out alright in a couple years

If it dips below $4-3.50 I'm gonna load up