Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

can’t wait for someone to introduce a bill in Congress with bipartisan support that bans retail trading and mandates individuals have to go through some hedge fund firm to make sure rich people’s money isn’t threatened again

The simpsons skinner meme, but with "maybe we should get rid of naked short selling. No its the retail investors that are wrong."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Gringostar posted:

lol that these loving ghouls are demanding regulation when they're the ones getting hosed over

This is feeling very similar to 'black panthers standing on the statehouse steps with guns' territory.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Gringostar posted:

so when do the extrajudicial murders of day traders start?

Honestly,

If this fun and games goes on a for more than a few days, then without a doubt capital is going to force the gov to do something about it.

More likely this all ends today or tomorrow with a whole bunch of robinhooders going broke holding worthless poo poo.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Wall street getting plowed under with 2 feet of snow on the same day as Reddit plows under some Hedge funds sounds to much like a cheezy book plot.

They don't shut down the markets if the poor traders can't make it through the snow to the trading floor?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
LOL, If biden means tests his $1400, and then romney runs against him in 2024 with his kids bucks Ill happily vote republican. I'm pretty sure if Romney won he would actually give out the goods.

gently caress it, pay me.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Nothus posted:

He wouldn't make it through the primary, hth

I mean, yeah obviously.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

net work error posted:

But he's the GOOD Republican now!!

In the balance of things, probably a better human being than our heroes' of the Republic Joes (plural, see Biden, or Manchin)

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Like, party politics and all, but getting rid of a mess of tax loop holes and means tested programs for a nationwide UBI for kids that would basically be impossible to ever get rid of would be an actual material good for people.

Funny how it wasn't a democrat bill initiative.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

imagine saying romney was alright in this thread of all threads, the thread where we discuss how private equity etc has been stripping the copper out of the walls of the country for 50 years

lol the thread where all the avowed leftists suddenly turned into daytraders when a miniscule chance at winning a personal lottery landed at their feet?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

How many of those people are still posting in this thread?

fair enough.

Sorry, I'm just grumpy as gently caress about grandpa joe today.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Nothus posted:

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1359130077905223682?s=20

This poo poo is just getting started.

lol that companies are acting like every bored overpaid computer touch I know and getting into crypto and rental property

There is nothing really else to spend their money on. They've already bought up their entire industries, already bought the government, and well, they can't just buy people yet.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I think the problem is more the top 5%ish more than the .001%. that top 5 used to compete with each other via conspicuous consumption, but now they just compete on portfolio numbers.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

people have got to stop posting this. i am required by god to watch it in its entirety every time and my life is falling apart from all the lost hours.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Nonsense posted:

that lady with a house that’s 35 inside it is having it much worse than me in an apartment. I will learn to love the wasteland.

do they not insulate houses in Texas to help keep them cool in the summer? having a hard time figuring how a house dropped that low in just a few hours.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

I can't stop picturing that former mayor shouting "DONT A PART OF PROBLEM, BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION!!" at the bodies of a family that froze to death in their suburban living room.

the what family now?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Always funny when municipal politicians get caught up in standard social media combativeness without remembering that they are actually the closest to their actual constituents when it comes to getting called out for their poo poo.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Not a Children posted:

These valves/pipes have probably been slowly flexed by temp gradients along their microfractures for decades, a rapid temp shift like this on broken-in equipment like that is like the hulk ripping a well-worn phone book in half

nah, even brand new valves will sheer like that as the water freezes, and expands along the pipe runs from both side of the valve. All that pressure builds and the brittle cast iron fittings are the first to give way.

I get to see maybe one or two of these a year in person. Seeing four in a single picture, whoo boy is Texas gonna be in trouble for a good while.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

SchnorkIes posted:

Valves are like the easiest thing to get, hopefully that's what's broken, everywhere I've worked has had heaps and heaps

Valves are abundant. The man-power to replace them quickly not so much.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Rutibex posted:

wtf a battery powered generator? is that some kind of perpetual motion machine

words no longer have meanings.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This is the future, everything will be rented from your housing to your entertainment to your education and the capital class is working their asses off to make sure we're ready for it.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/11/how-life-could-change-2030/

lol that hurt so badly to read that i had to stop after something about renting pasta bowls. how can someone so dumb write so many words in a row.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

MEGA THREAD RETARD posted:

It appears that the fed will be having difficulties with inflation catching up to its naked printing before this COVID drag is resolved. It's starting in commodities and supply chain disruptions, but it will crawl up the food chain, as it already has with simple chip manufacturing. When that happens, it may have no other choice but to ease up on its historic measures, or else find the classic but generationally unknown situation of inflation caused by too much money chasing too few goods. This will disrupt homebuying, if it happens. It could be pretty disastrous.

i haven’t been following this thread for a bit, so not sure if its been talked about, but in construction we are seeing steel and plastic products becoming scarce with prices rapidly moving. A local distributor just dropped their 30 day price quote holds down to 5 days which hasnt happened in like over a decade. One of my suppliers was trying to get some galvanized steel and it took like 5 weeks to get 3000’ which should normally be like a week turnaround.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
https://apple.news/ASjeghAT5Qp-wbcj93AhEhQ

un oh. cant build any more homes with basements, no biggie right?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Rutibex posted:

buy fasteners! screws, nails, washers, rivets, everything! you think any of that stuff in made in north america? nope! once china gets tired of americas poo poo and does trade sanctions those screws are going to triple in value

This but unironically, starting next week Im gonna start buying pretty much as much steel and plastic pipe and fittings that we can stuff into our shop.

Got a price increase notice from a third mfg stating prices going up anywhere from 12% to 25% which is hilariously lol since generally single date price increases over the last decade have been 3-4%.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
my wife and i used to cook every day. we were very healthy. then came toddlers, then dual jobs to afford a life for the kids, and then came the pandemic.

All those stressors ruined our diet. we can maybe cook real food once a week. the rest of the week is just rotating through basic frozen foods we know the kids will eat.

thank god for frozen green peas in 5lb bags from costco, pretty much the only healthy thing we get regularly.

there is just no time in the day to give real cooking a chance. plus toddlers basically only eat 5 foods it seems.

sucks.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

oxsnard posted:

it's not nkla it's a different scam ev company

so hard to keep track nowadays.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

I haven't 40K'd in ages and this still made my day.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

Now watch it not appraise for that amount and go back on the market in a few weeks.

That's uh, not how things are going currently.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

lol peloton responded basically saying they dont believe the cpsc should have the power to “unilaterally” make these calls.

there is a video out there of a kid getting sucked underneath one of these abominations. i cant believe these things have no undercarriage to conceal the belt.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Peloton is also saying the device is perfectly safe as long as the owner follows the safety instructions which basically boils down to “make sure kids can never get close to the device” which lol anyone with kids know that’s impossible.

CPSC is telling people that if they are going to keep the device it should be in a locked room.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
On that note, gotta say that the CPSC is probably the most wholesome branch of the entire federal government.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i am incredibly surprised that the cpsc managed to survive the trump/mulvaney gutting at all

maybe their office was up too many stairs or something

well it didn’t exactly excel during that time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...gher-regulator/

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Lacrosse posted:

Yeah doesn't lithium react violently with water?

not after its been processed into the battery form.

water is used because like previously noted, you have to keep cooling these things for hours as the thermal runaway continues, and water is the only thing we have that is available in quantity enough to do so.

god, im wasting all day posting about this dumb fire in like 4 threads. what a nice quiet sunday.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

Any fire department should have ABC fire extinguishers. Hell, a good old fashioned CO2 type would have been miles better than loving water

portables are worthless against a internal li-ion fire. useful if it’s ancillary components burning and you can get them put out before thermal runaway kicks off, but thats only gonna be likely if the driver or a passerby has one available. by the time the FD gets there it’ll probably be way to late for that.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
was gonna say, im glad most of my work is in steel buildings atm, but lol steel is just as bad.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

If only Germany didn't have those fearmongering goldbugs, they wouldn't have had any hyperinflation!

yea because nothing has changed in 100 years on how markets and nations relate to each other.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Once they're fully built with fire suppression systems in place, they won't burn to the ground. I like the 5-over-1s, they're the only way we're going to get mid-rise in the USA.

Same, at least 5-1s are getting built regularly in small cities/large towns. Better than nothing getting built at all. And getting 5 levels of occupancy is better than the standard 3 from the traditional building style.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

figure this should pass and get enacted around 2 years from now to barely screw me as my youngest enters kindergarten.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Same, but this would be a good thing. Biden wants to spend a lot on it too.

Having better childcare would keep more women in the workforce, making economists happy, and also help a ton of kids.

Oh im totally for it, just pretty sure I won’t actually get that jackpot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

D1Sergo posted:

I put a lot of work into building my PC for retail cost in October, I get a perverse joy out of the fact that prices and availability are even worse than before.

yep. when i built a new computer for cp2077 I was kinda grumpy on the money spent considering the game sucked rear end.

guess it worked out ok for me in the end.