Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

number doesn't react to things. it is a precog and knows all will be well for number is eternal

Obviously, the capitol being stormed was already priced in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

comingafteryouall posted:

cool, I like that the brain virus of market logic is irresistible. I've maybe seen 3 teslas in the wild in my entire life, I saw Musk surpassing amazon man and got my mind blown on twitter after not reading this thread for a while

I see plenty of Teslas around, they're obviously not unpopular. Plus they sell their emissions certificates to other car makers, allowing those to pollute more.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

two lesbians having sex usually doesn't result in children

Nature finds a way

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dollar number going down means other numbers (stocks, money printed, assets) go up, sounds good to me!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Air fryers are the best.

It's a convection oven. You're baking, not frying.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

forkboy84 posted:

The episode description usually has a timestamp for when they get to the main topic of the episode.

More American podcasts should do real chapter marks, timestamps in the show notes are very half-assed.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Politicians can and often do promise things they can't implement.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

i didnt understand the gme short squeeze or whatever and to be honest i still dont. oh well

"Number went up" is all you need to understand.

I really enjoy the bagholders in that marketwatch article trying to pump the stock up even more

quote:

Daniel, you aren't seeing the big picture. People aren't whimsically buying up shares of a company with a dinosaur business model. They're buying into the idea the Cohen is bringing his world class infrastructure to GME and he is going to transform the way the company does business. Look deeper into what's going on and you will get a better sense of why this is happening.

quote:

the one guy is right, it's not all a short squeeze. Some of us are subscribers to HedgeEye and GME was a newly added 'Investing Long" idea. Their analysts see, or saw, good things on the horizon for this company. And as such advised subscribers it was a long idea pick. Of course we (subs) use ranges (meaning we sell chunks on pops and buy chunks on drops) and the real time alert to get in was at 17.25
Today was a beautiful day to sell some of those chunks bought at those lower levels. ROFL

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gamestop-stock-soars-60-in-apparent-short-squeeze-11610559366

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

is WSB going to make Gamestop the next Tesla? Should I put my entire 401k into it?

Yes, go all in on Gamestop by buying as many Funko pops you can afford there.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mila kunis posted:

is there ever any possibility of overland trade being cheaper? technically china and germany are connected by land right

There is a rail line used for tons of freight between China an Germany, it has recently been improved and is still in the process of being built out even more. It's more of an alternative to air freight, though, for goods that need to be in Europe relatively quickly (~10 days as opposed to ~3 months by sea)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bitcorn and ~*~The Market~*~ haven't really correlated in the past, can't imagine it being a harbinger of anything but Cryptocurrency being extra stupid and speculative.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Empress Brosephine posted:

Wish I paid attention to this stuff I could've made some cash!

Always easy to make money with hindsight. Tons of people lose their shirts on Wallstreetbets even in a bull market.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

Don't ask. Just do it! Risk it all.

The ideal time to buy is whenever some hot stock tip is all over the media, can't go wrong. INVEST, goons!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The raw price of a single stock isn't a relevant comparison metric between different companies that don't have the same amount of outstanding shares.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Antonymous posted:

it's relevant but not the whole story

It is not relevant at all.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Antonymous posted:

you think if every stock on the exchange split until there were so many shares each was worth a penny that's exactly the same as the stock market now, it has no relevance

Saying "it's now worth almost as much as Apple" when comparing single share prices is 100% meaningless, yes. And if your stock splitting idea were actually possible, people would simply watch market cap instead as the new main metric for graphs.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Relevant Tangent posted:

the globalist elites in this case are literally people with names on wall street

lmao if you need to tell yourself this.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Relevant Tangent posted:

who do you think it was who lost the money today? retail investors, ie literally everyone who isn't a bank a brokerage or an llc don't short naked because it's incredibly illegal

That's not what I was referencing. I'm not as convinced as you are that the extremely online person talking about "globalist elites" isn't a weirdo right-winger.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Antonymous posted:

if you have every stock you're guaranteed to win, if you have every lotto ticket you're guaranteed to lose

That's not how it works. What is considered "the market" (the popular indices) is a selection of most relevant stock.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
*yelling in Kramer voice* BUY BUY BUY!!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SchnorkIes posted:

they're trying to make AMC happen

Bad American car companies are all the rage these days on the stock market, huh.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gio posted:

i really dont understand any of this. is it basically a bunch of nerds making bank off wall street vampires that bleed companies for all their worth?

I think we've moved into the "nerds losing their shirts trading on yesterday's news" phase.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just like every restaurant will be a Taco Bell in the future (according to Demolition Man), every store will be a Gamestop.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
From what I've seen, there isn't any.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm not buying, but you are a fool to not jump in!

Every second you're out, you're losing money.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fellatio del Toro posted:

personally my strategy is to buy low and then sell when it gets high

Reminds me of the goons that were really convinced Movie Pass was the thing to invest in.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

human garbage bag posted:

yeah don't sell, this isn't about making a month's rent, this is about making the hedge funds squeal.

would you rather make a grand in profit now, or potentially ten grand in profit plus watch a bunch of hedge funds fail?

Don't be an idiot, sell and take the profit. Just because someone invented a narrative to make you a bag holder while they cash out themselves doesn't mean you have to actually follow it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The way Gamestop is going means soon Bitcoiners will switch over and tell us all about Gamestop being the currency of the future and Hypergamestopification.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

My concern is that these hedge funds are tied into a bunch of other companies, sort of like how it shouldn't have been a big deal when bear Stearns collapsed but whoops turns out every one of these groups were deep inside of each other

Sounds good to me.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is really going bananas. Hypergamestopification when.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

1stGear posted:

Don't go too crazy on the hookers and coke.

Are those available at Gamestop?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

1stGear posted:

I mean, I'm guessing some of them have those little fridges where you can buy Coke. As for the hookers, I guess that depends on if your Gamestop is in a bad part of town.

If it has hookers, must be the good part of town if you ask me.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

imagine being part of the executive team at Melvin watching a horde of morons destroy your hedge fund for the lols

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" or some other really tired phrase people like them like to use.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cumshitter posted:

i have been invited to move into the new gamestop arcology managed by their space colonization division

And back on earth, I can't wait to go on a vacation at the Gamestop all-inclusive holiday resort as soon as Covid is over!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Ray posted:

like i don't have any money in any stocks or options or anything -- i store value in cryogenically frozen digiorno's pizza -- but this is too goddamn funny.

Pretty sure that's delivery.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Empress Brosephine posted:

Sure download robinhood buy stocks in gamestop watch your money double

It's this, but for money

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

a bunch of e-girls will be getting gifts from their wsb boyfriends/simps ( and some eboys too)

Belle Delphine's bathwater business going strong.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is it soup for your family?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Antonymous posted:

yeah you were wrong as gently caress lol

a stock has an easier time going from $4 to $12 than $1,000 to $3,000 and it's about to happen again today you big dummy who thinks mathematical equivalence and rational expectation is what informs human actions

Eh, what? Obviously that's the case, I wasn't saying that. The point was that saying "Gamestop is now worth almost as much as Apple" by comparing the value of a single stock is entirely meaningless.

Why are you doubling down on this, you are wrong and that tweet was dumb.

Fame Douglas has issued a correction as of 12:01 on Jan 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

lmao is gamestop really trading at over 200 euro in germany. oh my god

There's a German-language wallstreetbets as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/mauerstrassenwetten/