Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I'm at the gates, let me in.

-a barbarian, waiting for RH account clearance at 4:20 am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
stalnkz

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
🚀🌛

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixi0sUpLVRc

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Hold the Line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UoaB1iWYaU
'I make your jeans
Vibrate like a Nokia'

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

kicks forts posted:

Guarantee people start buying Dogecoins on the basis that someone bought $291730 worth so they must know something lmbo

I want to go on the same log flume ride as that guy

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Chinatown posted:

lol if u dont cheat on your taxes

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Personally i'm going to go with "Most everyone is going to lose and the stocks will go down" because that is the ultimate obvious outcome. My genius has divined this isn't a permanent phenomenon so even if I am incorrect next week I will eventually be correct and once the memes are dead I can stroke myself off in front of the entire thread shouting TOLDASO TOLDASO

Realistically, most people involved in the markets before this were affected by this negatively (if slightly) and are going to want to pull some of their money out of the stock market if it's showing enough signs of instability.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
The Feds should know better than to import offsite drama :nono:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Guys guys guys...

buy chips.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Naked, short, and volatile, with hundreds of lonely wallet-holders throwing ebux just to have their chance to screw.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Shogunner posted:

are we destroying a hedge fund tomorrow my fellow hodlers?

it's pronounced HODLOR

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

the popes toes posted:

You guys are like mental health workers at an asylum gleefully encouraging the patients to burn down the hospital just so you can have a bbq it's monstrous stop it

Post your best impromptu BBQ recipes for these trying times.

Tendies have a tendency to slip between the slats of lovely grills.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

cumshitter posted:

i want money!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYOrXUxliKo

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
:freakout::blaster: :retrogames:

kicks forts posted:

[Doomsday Economics] His bank called him thinking that his cards had been stolen by a child

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Crazycryodude posted:

What the gently caress is a willenium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6mYGcNgKn8

If you didn't see Wild Wild West in theaters you might be a zoomer.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Fame Douglas posted:

Let's all invest tomorrow at 1pm in Minecraft

But why would you want to invest in Vocaloid stock - they're overseas in Japan, aren't they?

E: lol: https://vocaloidemo.com/the-crypton-vocaloid-split-2-vocaloid-stocks

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Insanely flipped nightcrew/daycrew vibes in this thread compared to the ACAB thread, NGL. I only clued into this thread thanks to Smythe's probe, and when the GME madness was in full swing it was a wild ride for a while. I learned a lot about bullshit terms that only make sense to the investor class and still come away from it all with the sense that the stock market is just a giant shell game the rich play while laundering money.

I am a west coaster and I simply can't keep up with markets' events until they've already passed, it seems. I'm still going to follow the thread and cheer for the destruction of capital, even if the end might not be as close as I want it.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly if you're not ready for the Rainbow Road at 150cc, I wouldn't recommend driving on acid, but concerts and arboretums have closing hours and that poo poo lasts 9 hours on average, so...

The feeling of getting behind the wheel when you're not supposed to is the feeling I had starting a Robin Hood account a couple weeks ago, during the GME Waaaugh. Thank God I never completed the sign-up process - it took RH a full week for them to update their UI for me so I could actually cancel my initial money deposit/transfer.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Tubgoat posted:

Whenever I start to think that maybe, just maybe, there is good left in the world and that life is worth living/protecting, I remember Elon Musk exists.

Right - it's that moment where you realize you're in an Asimov-ian dystopia.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I live in a rent-controlled building in my city (lol only buildings made before the 90's have to follow rent control laws here) and every year over the last 5 years I've stayed here my landlord has raised the rent on my 1BR unit by the maximum amount of money that is legally permitted by the state. What they are telling me by this is that if they could charge me any more for this crappy apartment in a seedy complex with mail theft and untreated wood, they would, but the state is tying their hands and restricting how much money they can legally demand from me per month.

It feels like the opposite of how minimum wage feels: "If I could pay you any less, I would, but the state, you see, they require that I have to give you at least this much money before taxes..."

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Requoting because this was an engrossing post about comix/IP's past that might've gotten buried:

Ice Phisherman posted:

So I saw this same kind of thing happen in the 90's to comic books. Comic shows in the 80's and previous had been pretty small affairs, largely done out of churches and the occasional small town convention center with bigger shows in metropolitan areas. This exploded as speculation took the comics world hard. All the bullshit that my dad had been collecting for decades out of just liking comics suddenly was worth shitloads of money. While you did have tons of people who just wanted to fill out their collections because this was largely pre-internet in terms of comics uploads and people liked their stories, you also had speculators and they spent shitloads of money on really, really dumb poo poo. And I remember how my dad sold comics to these idiots at about uh...I'd say it easily got as high as 10,000% markup at some points, though 500% markup was pretty solid.

At these shows were the artists, writers, editors and even inkers for the comic trade. My dad would find comics in the quarter box or maybe the fifty cent or (gasp) the dollar box, where everything was a quarter or fifty cents or a dollar and buy everything where said people were signing autographs. I, not even a teenager, would be given money to stand in line to get signatures while my dad ran the tables where we sold autographed copies of people who were not appearing at the show as well as regular long boxes of comics to people who just wanted to fill out their collections. These autographs were of course approved by (insert my dad's business name here) which was literally just my dad and myself sticking little triangular pieces of paper with some text that said (business name) authenticated these signatures into the sealed comics. That was it. I stuffed tens of thousands of those little pieces of paper into plastic comic book sleeves along with said comic. At ten years old I was authenticating comics that this or that person signed this thing and the process was just ran out of my dad's living room. They had signed it. I'd been there when they did as I got most of them signed. Definitely true. But this turned a comic that would linger in a box for years into a collector's item. We would sell these to people genuinely interested in comics like regular collectors and little kids and they'd pay a couple extra bucks to bring home a signed copy. That was cool. That was the 500% markup. But the people who snapped these up the fastest were the speculators and they would pay stupid prices for signatures.

I remember how the trip to California from the east coast was paid for by getting twenty signatures of Jim Lee signing his Wild C.A.T.S. #1 comic. Ten each, myself and my dad, because limits, standing in line for two hours. That covered meals, plane tickets and the hotel room and my dad made a profit for the rest of the show while I got to meet the people who made my favorite comics and I got to talk to them. And it got to the point where I got to know some of them on a first name basis, which was really cool for a preteen. All on the backs of speculators paying for a comic that over the years has been canceled over five times. Even I knew Wild C.A.T.S. was dumb bullshit, but the speculators ate that poo poo up.

Later on we grabbed a copy of Rai 9, another Image comic, which was inked in black with a sharpie by one of the dealers (guy who sold poo poo, not a creative) and the sigs were in silver and gold pen. Speculators loved silver and gold pen, you don't even know, it meant extra zeroes on the comic for dumbass speculators. My dad's friend Glen got "signatures" from comics luminaries like Stevie Wonder and Adolph Hitler. So many signatures on that Rai 9 black. What's a Rai 9 black? Oh, it's super rare, you speculator trash, you wouldn't believe. Not sharpied at all. Wizard magazine doesn't even know about it. It's signed by everyone. EVERYONE. And by the time they start asking about the signatures, they get that they're being made fun of and gently caress off. That stayed up there for years as bait to gently caress with people and it was funny each time some speculator asked about it.

I remember the end of the comics bubble. I was at one of the larger comics businesses. The bubble had popped and this guy was sitting on tens of thousands of Silver Surfer with a chrome cover. The comics are worthless. Speculators went on to the next thing. So they're ripping the chrome cover off the comic to get the tiny amount of scrap value because the comic is worthless. It was like we were shucking corn. We harvested the chrome cover and discarded the worthless story because Silver Surfer has always and will always suck rear end, and we took the slightly valuable chrome to sell to a scrap dealer. And looking back, it was a good moment, because I could go back to caring about what was in the covers instead of the signatures on them.

Speculation comes and goes, but if you can make money off these idiots, do it. They have so much money and they are so dumb.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
how much does it cost to import all those sourdough baguettes from france because IDC I still love them

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Ever Given

Ever Received

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Judakel posted:

i believe in the tech but i hate to see the dips is title material

I love the car, Elon, but

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Don't make us sexualize Number, now.

We all know that Number is way bigger than anything any of us have ever been with romantically.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Boston is known for their pizza???????

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Trailer Park Boys was a documentary

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

The technical term for the price action in Nomura this morning is "creamed"

oh baby

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’ve never seen a live hog shipment.

Sorry to hear that, man. Keep trying

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

not feelin' it on this page TBH

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Dustcat posted:

i hope number suffers a number failure, i hate it and wish it ill

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Epic High Five posted:

The secret is to never get any of the really high def stuff so that your brain doesnt get used to it and expect it as the baseline. Unless you've got like a 90 inch display in 4k, regular DVD resolutions are perfectly fine

I have the same philosophy with smartphones, and - if I can be patient enough - game consoles. The quality electronics will still be around when newer poo poo comes out, and you can get it for a lot less.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

PawParole posted:

On Monday, Bitcoin will plunge to 30k.

Nasdaq will be down 7% when the stock market opens.

You have no idea what’s coming. Be afraid

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Regarde Aduck posted:

i have brain damage

Tendies but with bread handles

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I'm thinkin bout thos horseys

e: Jamocha shakes rule

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

thalweg posted:

Who the gently caress are they getting to answer these polls :psyduck:

The entire question is misleading.

More people out there are saying "now's the time to get a good job", not that it's a good time for those looking for work.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Surf's Up

Brian Wilson posted:

A diamond necklace played the pawn
Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
To a handsome man and baton
(Bygone, bygone)

A blind class aristocracy
Back through the opera glass you see
The pit and the pendulum drawn
(Bygone, bygone)

Columnated ruins domino!
Canvas the town and brush the backdrop
Are you sleeping?

Hung velvet overtaken me
Dim chandelier awaken me
To a song dissolved in the dawn
(Bygone, bygone)

The music hall, a costly bow
The music all is lost for now
To a muted trumpeter swan
(Bygone, bygone)

Columnated ruins domino!
Canvas the town and brush the backdrop
Are you sleeping, Brother John?

Dove-nested towers the hour was
Strike the street quicksilver moon
Carriage across the fog
two-step to lamplight cellar tune
The laughs come hard in Auld Lang Syne

The glass was raised, the fired roast
The fullness of the wine
The dim last toasting
While at port, adieu or die

A choke of grief, heart-hardened I
Beyond belief, a broken man too tough to cry

Surf's Up (Mm-mm, mm-mm, mm-mm)
Aboard a tidal wave
Come about hard and join
The young and often spring you gave
I heard the word
Wonderful thing!
A children's song.

A children's song
(child, child, the child is the father of man, the child)
Have you listened as they play?
Their song is love
And the children know the way

A children's song
Have you listened as they play?
Their song is love
(That's why the child, child, the child is the father of man, the child)
And the children know the way
A child~

:tubular:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

bagual posted:

generation "theory" is a sham, i'd like to hear a single cogent argument on why arbitrary points in time are cut-offs between discrete groups of people, what differentiates one generation from the other? time is a continuum, there's no such thing as point in time when generation A becomes generation B, you can argue they're somewhat overlapping and a gradient but then what's the point in making up names for generations anyway, you can talk about senior citizens and middle-aged adults and younger adults and adolescents and kids, it's fine, you don't have to make up poo poo like oh these are the zippity zoppers and those are the wurly wyatts

Wow, spoken like a true gemini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
'Generation X' sounded cool and edgy at the time, and then they were like, 'can we fit in two more generations to the next decade, so that we end 1999 with gen Z and start 2000 with a new gen A?'

and the kids said that idea was really stupid but no one was listening to them back then, or ever