Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

FistEnergy posted:

I've been waiting 20 years to be a Mod and I'm 99% sure if it actually happened I would immediately hate it

I just wanted to b-b-b-b-be a moderator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
Wait, I thought credit scores were just another of those "symbols of control" in our panoptican society, like "college degree" and "criminal record". Wasn't that the general agreed upon definition here?

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

im sorry but cumshitter does it better

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Good Citizen posted:

on Monday the hedge funds with the largest short positions are going to reach a deal with GameStop to buy up treasury shares at a high price (but not THIS high). They will freeze out all of the retail investors, GameStop will have a Scrooge mcduck money vault, and citron research will be the largest single stockholder for the company. The shares will probably have a provision where they can’t sell for a set period of time in order to slow down the resulting stock price collapse but either way it’s going to be a bloodbath for holders

bookmark this post

This makes too much evil sense. quoting for search in the future.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this thread is going to end in LMAOs

Edited for accuracy. Of course, I have nothing in this game.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
Gotta get in my HAIL NUMBER

HAIL TENDIES

Seriously though, I'm loving the drama of this, even if I'm not a part of it.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

gently caress Culver's and their pitiful reuben. They make the saddest rear end reuben of the few chains that make reubens. Little bullshit portion of kraut and corned beef.

Ah, a man of taste who always gets a reuben if it's offered.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

can someone smarter and calmer than me reassure me we aren't about to recreate the 20s, 30s and 40s by having a crash influenced by huge amounts of individual speculation leading to a surge of antisemitic reactionary/fascist movements coming to the fire and doing a world war??

a lot of these WSB types like, really dont like jews, and the script for them to blame all this market manipulation of Jews instead of Capitalists is all too easy and already written

im watching lots of documentaries about the 1920s crash and getting increasingly worried.

please tell me im wrong

(note: still holding AMC and GME, lol)

Of course we won't. If a big hot war starts, the nukes will fly as soon as somebody looks like they're going to lose hard.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

DoomTrainPhD posted:

A true test of a Ruben is the temperature of the sauerkraut. If it’s warm it’s a subpar Ruben.

:haibrower:

pnumoman posted:

You like cold sauerkraut on a reuben?

It's supposed to go on at the absolutely last moment before being served.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
I am highly amused that we have three (EDIT: lol 4) people immediately jumping on to discuss proper reuben assembly.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

When I used to work in a bar kitchen, where the boss was New York Italian (seriously, godfather song for ringtone walking stereotype), I learned a proper way to make a reuben. Dude was a joke, but the reuben was outstanding.

Don't hold out on me man, what's his recipe?

Joey Steel has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Feb 1, 2021

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

oxsnard posted:

new orleans is the best food city in the us, especially after handicapping for size

New Orleans is literally the only good thing about Louisiana.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

KirbyKhan posted:

Absolutely, usher a good pup through their fading light. Witness them off this world. Get a dry run of death. At least it'll give you 6 to 18 months of purpose to keep you up till the next dopamine hit.

Having just gone through watching my dog die of cancer, I'd rather have a healthy tooth extracted without anesthetic.

He was a good doggo.
:smith:

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

PawParole posted:

China already has the largest consumer economy in the world. Only like, 3 percent of its gdp is exports.

That’s why the trade war was useless. The American and Chinese economy decoupled a long time ago.

A quick googling says about 18% is exports, where the hell did you get 3?

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

buy death futures!

christ i just realized there's a non-zero possibility that death futures are an actual thing that exists

Yes? They're called life insurance policies on people who are not you.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

This excerpt was taken from "The City: London and the Global Power of Finance", by Tony Norfield

Just quoting this in case I need to find it in the future.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

nomad2020 posted:

Shame they tried to compete with real trucks, they had a nice Comanche concept that I might've bought had it gone to production.

... why in in the name of all that is good would anyone have a soft-top truck? poo poo, I feel weird when trucks don't have headache racks on them.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

MysteriousStranger posted:

It's not a poly relationship by any stretch. But I did "the never ending wars" with him and the two gals are yoga and martial arts buddies so it just sort of works? They live three floors down from us. We can get a three floor town house with a yard and basement (so four floors?) if we pool funds.

I have actually seen this in the wild work out with a small variant: nobody was in a relationship. It was a group of five friends who all knew each other from various points in time stretching from high school to grad school all finding themselves at the same job site and deciding to go in on a sweet house together. They were all pulling doing 100k+ and living in rural SC and their house was goddamn huge. It was always fun visiting them.

I asked them how they managed it, and the (not official leader of that social group) said that she and her friends all went to a lawyer and bought the house as equal share partners with an agreement to take on the debt of the any of the others who wanted to leave (i.e get married start a family). I often visited to cook for them as they were my go-to dog sitters when I flew out to see my wife, who was finishing med school at the time several states away.

Best dogsitters ever. They spoiled the hell out of my pupper.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

JamMaster Flash posted:

I was in a poly MFF relationship for a couple years, it seemed awesome for a while and even seemed practical from a "weathering the coming economic storm" perspective. All the guys I worked with thought I was the man for being with two beautiful women, but in reality it was extremely difficult for us to maintain relationship stability, and that was with constant meetings and individual therapists. It boiled over right at the start of the pandemic, still feeling emotional trauma from it to this day.

Poly relationships scare the poo poo out of me. Then again, the only ones I've known have flamed out spectacularly, one of them arguably being the genesis of a mass murder.

Often Abbreviated posted:

good on you, shared housing dude. people are all "build support networks in your local community" and "learn to share and help each other" and someone mentions shared housing and it's all "no no not like that".

Yah. I have maybe one, possibly two people I could trust like that, and neither of them are within 1000 miles of me.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Cold on a Cob posted:

tell us more

Basically one couple out of a big group of friends of mine were all "we're going to get married, but have girlfriends join the relationship if we both agree to it" that spiraled out to where the guy got more angry and eventually they divorced when they both started stepping out on each other. Ended up that he decided "gently caress it" took a rifle and did a house clear of everyone at one of the football parties we all used to go to. Shot everyone once to down them, then went through the house for headshots after people were incapacitated, with multiple shots to the face of some folks he was angry with at the time. Really broke the one military friend in the friend group, because that's where he got the idea from, I'm pretty sure. I wasn't at the party as I was working in another state at the time.

Trying to make a half dozen funerals in a weekend was... not fun. I still need to go lay flowers at one friend's memorial, but I can't get to it since the land around the graveyard was bought out and I'm not sure how to get to it without trespassing through the now industrial zone with locked fences. Kinda hard to do when I have to drive 5 hours to even try. I still remember when we had to sneak in the sister of the guy who killed everyone into the ex-wife's wake, since she and her were best friends.

:smith:

Joey Steel has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Feb 22, 2021

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

holy poo poo dude, wow. also that headshot poo poo is called "canoeing" and is a war crime. You crack their skull open after your drop them and it leaves a V shape like a canoe went through it. it's uh, not pretty.

Welp, thanks for the slang term lesson. I think I need to log off for a bit.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

oxsnard posted:

why the gently caress would you post this

Don't worry, this didn't set me off, so much as telling the story in the first place. I should be working on my grant proposal due today anyway, but I'm waiting on paperwork from the uni I'm working with.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Leroy Diplowski posted:

You joke, but a buddy of mine who has a criminology PhD believes that all of the decline in violent crime in the USA since the 90s is due to videogames and social media.

Yeah, the decline started wayyy before social media, I"m wondering why they think that.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

I get your point. The counter point I have is there are lot of people that are coming back and getting out of the forever wars. A small minority of them go bonkers and storm the US capitol, but a lot of tacticool chuds adopt tactics and mannerisms that seem cool yet they have no idea what it truly means because they didn't join up and play the games for realzies (cause they are cowards). Given the rash of right wing white christian nationalist violence I think it's worth knowing what these things are, because they have very specific meanings. The chuds run about with the "don't tread on me flag" and that's a loving Navy flag and it has a very specific meaning. Ditto flying a jolly roger like those boogaloo boys stole. Ditto canoeing someone, its a Navy thing.

When people start stealing military culture it's worth knowing just what that means because these things all have a meaning that most people just miss.

The army guy who served in Afghanistan just called it 'cleaning up'.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

markets really got canoed today. big beautiful V shape

That was worth a real life belly laugh. Feels like my dumb overshare was more worthwhile. Thank you.

Joey Steel has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Feb 23, 2021

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Raine posted:

i have a list saved from some cspam user last year

i havent read most of this poo poo yet but maybe it helps

Nice

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Lidl for that matter as well.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, I find that hard to believe, too, but food prices are a pretty regional thing, so maybe? But I'm pretty good about tracking our budget and our week-to-week grocery expenses went up more than 3% in 2020, even though we made a serious effort to buy less and stretch things out.

Use the self checkout lane more often?

:v:

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Zurtilik posted:

My stimmy money is probably just going to pay off a credit card or something.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

The_Franz posted:

lol good luck making a dent in steam. epic might have made a slight one, but they spent months basically shoveling their unlimited fortnite money into a furnace for timed exclusivity to do so and their storefront still sucks. somehow i doubt that gamestop could afford to do the same, especially while trying to prop up a dying retail business

I actually like all the free games Epic is throwing my way. Really enjoying Sunless Sea for free, never would have paid for it, but at least I now know that the dev can make a fun game.

If they can transfer games to other people and do gifting, I could see it doing well. I want to give crying suns and halycon 6 to my bro, since I already have them on steam and kinda enjoy them.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah.

You always get some goony goon rolling in and being all "healthy food is cheap!" but nobody is going to just eat a bag of lentils all day, every day. Eating healthy food that you cook yourself that tastes good with a reasonable amount of variety is not easy and it gets exponentially harder with larger families. It also gets easier with experience and a well-stocked pantry, but those things require time and money.

Somebody missed the memo on Ethiopian food. drat do they make good lentils.

But yeah, that is a good point.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

DoomTrainPhD posted:

lmao these guys keep begging me to quit Rivian and join them. Their recruiters are super aggressive and don’t take no for an answer. Now I can send them this video every time they contact me.

Huh, how is Rivian? Spouse is looking to move to LA after finishing residency, and I see them pop up every now and then on the job search agent I put down for the are.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Try nairing your balls

Knew a guy who did that at my boarding high school. It was funny as poo poo, even when the ambulance came to take him to the hospital since some went down his urethra.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Paradoxish posted:

I'll believe it when I see it because right now I'm beginning to think we've built a financial system that's essentially unassailable from below

I'm not even convinced that widespread rioting would seriously threaten the current order of things

Oh, you might be surprised. Financial systems are still reliant on physical things getting from point A to point B, and for the water and electricity to run. Those can still be interrupted fairly readily.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i dont see jpow bailing out lloyds of london

Didn't the AIG takeover where they made all the counter-parties paid in full include non-US banking interest? Pretty sure that happened before.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

post your fav veg lentil recipes tia

https://www.daringgourmet.com/misir-wat-ethiopian-spiced-red-lentils/

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Cold on a Cob posted:

out of all the chuds i've known by far the most racist one was a boomer firefighter. like 100x more racist than the boomer prison guard i knew around the same time.

I'm from the deep south, and Chicago firefighters are the only people who have taught adult me new slurs for "a black person".

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Shifty Pony posted:

I have to admit I'm a bit confused as to why they are using tugs when the ground is right there. seems like it would be more effective to drive a bunch of steel beams into the ground or bury a giant anchor and use that as a winching point.

The kind of soil you can make a canal in is probably not the kind of stuff you can use as a fulcrum, as a guess.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

samantonio posted:

It reminds me of the conspiracy freaks that have just "woken up" to how everyone in the government is in on this mass fraud to gently caress us over. Okay, now what. What is the next step. We've figured out that they are all in some shadowy cabal pulling strings. What do we DO about it. They usually just stare at you and say, "don't you get it, man!? They're lizards 🦎!!!" Okay, I'm down with eradicating some lizard people. When do we start? There's never an answer. It's just more of the same stalling. Because there IS no plan. They just want to complain.

Actual organization doesn't really happen in this thread. And the likely needed steps are probably ones not wise to discuss on an open forum.

This is for venting.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

skooma512 posted:

No one pawns tools because they break before anyone would ever pawn them lol.

You say this, knowing full that meth and opiates are a thing? You can't have posted on C-Spam for this long without realizing that pawn shops are one of the resorts of addicts, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Epic High Five posted:

There is no gentle offramp, only pain and chaos, because hundreds of times and over decades our vaunted superiors have chosen at each intersection to make pain and chaos inevitable. We are now fully and irrevocably chained to a psychotic beast of terrible destruction which killed its handler long ago

Number
\

Joey Steel has issued a correction as of 12:56 on Apr 5, 2021