Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Buying in at the bottom of this thread so i can reap those gains as the page number goes up. Remember, time in the thread beats timing the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

bagual posted:

https://i.imgur.com/BtgZ6Ce.mp4

mandatory marx mandate

guys are we in one of those crazy spikes up uP UP? lol

I love this webm and am curious, how much do we actually know about how much the rate of profit is falling over time? Does shady accounting by corporations, tax dodging, offshore accounts in the caymans and so on obfuscate a lot of this information?

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Number must be hungover today from the long new years weekend. Feel better, number!

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

FAUXTON posted:

I hate dumb folksy poo poo like this because people would fuckin love to eat better if they weren't locked into food deserts where they still have to work 80 hours a week to pay rent so literally all they have time for is extremely processed poo poo food that's loaded with sugars and carbs and bad fats

like yeah having a good diet helps a lot but it doesn't help suffocation wages and a life of the ensuing stresses

I really hate the well-off lib diet trends and cookbooks that are like, "why do people live so long in japan/italy/denmark wherever? It must be the diet!!" and then tell you to eat a bunch of evoo, fresh fish, vegetables, and upscale ingredients. It surely has nothing to do with socialized medicine and a system for poor people that allows them to get food and housing and not brutally starve in a tent city. Poor people dying early of preventable disease? Guess they ate the Bad Food, unlike me the enlightened consumer

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

69 hours in GIMP, and i have no idea if it's even funny anymore but im posting it anyway goddammit

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

What if you deliver groceries to the people who work at Raytheon?

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

this is absolutely bonkers lmao

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I bought 100 shares of AMC at $4.64

Should i buy more tomorrow or let it ride? Also vanguards interface kinda sucks for individual stocks

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

I cannot loving believe the boomers froze options on GME so they wouldn't have to pay out but allowed GME stock to continue trading.

The game is rigged! Buy more!

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I cant log into Vanguard to sell AMC and cover what i bought in for

Stupid grandpa brokerage

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

The Demilich posted:

Yeah I don't know what those words mean.
I really need an education in regards to this poo poo.

Go to the long term investing/retirement thread in BFC and do what they say

Index or target retirement funds with brokers like Vanguard (Schwab or Fidelity are also popular) are basically as safe as you can get. Basically the fund aims to track the performance of the entire market, which over time in the long run always goes up. There will be ups and downs on the way but you'll end up ahead. Stick your money in the fund and leave it there, until you are old or the ashes of civilization smolder

On the other hand, it's boring as gently caress compared to yoloing into GME so your call

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

What a day. I made some guaranteed money on AMC by buying in yesterday, and accidentally bought Nokia at $7.50 during that spike (forgetting to make it a limit order), so I'm ahead about 700 bucks. But I'm happy to let that one ride along with the rest of my AMC shares. It's totally riveting and how the gently caress do people do this for 5 days a week. No wonder they all do coke

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Xaris posted:

i fuckin love grape nuts

Grape nuts with fruit is the bomb dot com

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I don't think NOK is gonna bail out my stupid buy at the spike two days ago. What do i do with this bag

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

baby brain: stocks are gambling
awakened brain: invest in low fee index funds
galaxy brain: my market research straddled wheels options strategy is guaranteed returns
universe brain: stocks are gambling

:69snypa:

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

deadwing posted:

am i missing something or does this article say absolutely nothing like that

e: yeah it's literally just this dipshit chud saying that

yeah this is the one time i read the article and that's not in there

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Swaegsthetics posted:

hate to say it but this "resignation" means we're about to get nationwide prop 22 Prime

It was probably already gonna happen with Biden/Harris and all the techlord Democrats, no?

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

The good thing about the second cold war is that we already lost it

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Weird how adults work all the minimum wage teenager jobs when the teenagers are at school during the day, monday to friday every week. But those jobs are for teenagers!

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

It's not real canoeing unless it's from the canoe region of Iraq. Otherwise it's just sparkling war crime

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Money printer all saying PC load letter

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

skooma512 posted:

It won't cease to exist, but it will fall from superpower status.

And you're right, the favelas are coming. Skid Row basically is a favela, just without even shanties for housing.

I've never seen what skid row looks like so i dropped a google street view into the middle of the neighborhood and it's just blocks of sidewalks lined with tents :smith:

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Trader joes might be for yt people, but it still beats the depressing dehumanizing experience of a lot of chain groceries in the US

Where i used to live in new england, the major chain had these dystopian robots rolling around that were supposed to notify the workers when something was spilled but also may or may not have been recording/photographing you

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Paradoxish posted:

lol are you talking about stop & shop

Yeah, i hated going in there. Bleak vibes

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

It takes two to contango

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Millions starve as the biosphere collapses, meanwhile the rich are spending millions of dollars on tweets

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Shifty Pony posted:

gonna get even worse too.

According to a friend who is in a position to hear such news the word is the Samsung fab in Austin got throughly hosed by the huge Texas power outage. As in likely 9 figures worth of direct losses from facilities and equipment damage and having to scrap stuff that sat too long. The fab still isn't running due to repairs being done and that fab is something like 5% of worldwide semiconductor production.

we let Texas free market us into a fucky wucky.

:piss:

Why would anyone ever build any manufacturing in Texas ever again after this, lmao

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Twerk from Home posted:

When you fully ensmoothen your brain, you see the truth that the stock market can never go down. Whatever is coming, wherever we are going, the S&P isn't going down and you're crazy to try and fight it

He gazed up at the enormous chart. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of backwardation was hidden beneath the dark contango. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two piss-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Number.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

the US is the biggest funder of the IMF in what i'm sure is a total coincidence

without giving any explanation of what assumptions and models they're using this is irresponsible to report such a weird conclusion that the fastest-growing economy will suddenly contract

They must be factoring in the coming US-China cold war

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Ah, memories

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

We're gonna gently caress our way to the front of this train or die trying

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I was in a hostel in Auckland in 2019 and it wasn't entirely travelers, there were dudes living there because they couldn't find an apartment to rent. I believe the gov there doesn't tax income from real estate appreciation, what they refer to as capital gains? I could be wrong but basically it was/is a pretty big issue politically and afaik nothing has been done about it yet meanwhile land and housing value is kinda nuts

Graph from 2017 ill look for an updated one

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

PawParole posted:

now show us the amount of private debt that each dollar is earmarked to pay off.

Also, that graph doesn’t mean what you and Sven think.

What does it mean then

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I'll be lucky to ever make more than $50k in a year. Guess i have a lifetime of renting increasingly lovely places to look forward to :waycool:

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Fully numberized and loving it

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

wolfs posted:

https://www.thedriftmag.com/other-peoples-despair/

this demon cracker nation’s workplace exploitation of people is what is making them die. that and debt.
“we should instead seek an even more radical despair: a politicized despair, a despair that seeks not the destruction of ourselves but the destruction of everything in our world that has made life so intolerable for so many”

I haven't finished reading this yet, but god drat is it infuriating. Economists truly are the bottom of the intellectual barrel. And they're getting paraded around and probably making policy recommendations, lol

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Every so often i go somewhere with an older parking lot and you can tell it was laid out for much more normal sized cars than todays inflated cartoon trucks. It's funny watching people have to do multiple stupid k turns and poo poo and try to squeeze into spaces. I wonder if fender dings and bumps scrapes are more common now

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Ice Phisherman posted:

Especially if you could nap on your way to and from work.

finally, a guaranteed way to die in your sleep

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Is it okay to ride your bike on the sidewalk if nobody else is on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Here's a house someone cut into four lovely apartments a few blocks from me going for $350K.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1663-Suburban-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M98088-64133

http://www2.alleghenycounty.us/Real...035H00247000000

The property was last purchased in 2005 for $64,500 and is assessed at $71k. It's bringing in $2,645/mo in rent and the total yearly taxes are $1619.92.

It's all such a disgusting scam