Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Imagine being a billionaire and continuing to live in China lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

dont worry guys, the market has decided that a 2% drop was enough, and it's going back up now. it makes a lot of sense because a lot changed between 8:30 AM this morning and now.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Typically, when a drop hits a standard deviation then market makers will start trading against the drop to offset their short positions and remain market-neutral. This is part of why these seemingly abrupt midday reversals happen. You also have trading algorithms looking at historical success rates of markets hitting the -1, -2, -3 standard deviations and piling in heavy buy orders on increasingly-probable movements back to neutral.

When selling pressure is large enough that this fails is when you see the "broken rubberband" effect of the markets just plunging deeper and deeper with increasing acceleration, such as in February 2018, December 2019, February/March 2020.

so what you're saying is it's time to hope for another disaster that'll cause market panic

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

starting to think we're never gonna see the stock market crash with all the money being pumped in. instead it'll be the other end that breaks through usd devaluation despite being the reserve currency

that'd be exciting in its own way

i read somewhere that one of the reasons stock shot up in 2020 is that people couldn't spend money doing their regular activities, and decided to invest it instead

so it might get wild as things open back up and people pull that money out

maybe? i dont fuckin know anymore, the whole thing is such a black box that any prediction is basically the equivalent of reading tea leaves

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

why aren't stocks going down yet

take your money out of the drat market you fuckers, the country is collapsing

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Shear Modulus posted:

capital responding positively to fascists gaining power and becoming emboldened tracks very well actually

fascists didn't "gain power" lol, they just disrupted government in a big way

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

they can pass it with hawley lol

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

hawley would absolutely go back on his word out of spite

he might, but he's on thin ice already as having supported insurrectionists, so he also might want to vote yes as a way of appeasing people

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

thin ice with who, his party controls 50 seats and he's from Missouri, it ain't like he's at risk in a primary and his own caucus is largely against 2k checks - voting for the checks would be him running away from career safety not towards it

thin ice... with his very own constituents:

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1347394117861572608

Lots of powerful figures who had endorsed him during his run have also flat out withdrawn that support

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

reminder that cspam political pessimism has been brutally wrong for the past year and counting

i mean yeah, cspam thought trump was gonna brutally crush biden ;)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Declan MacManus posted:

so do you think joe manchin decided on his own to be a maverick shitbird or the dnc called up and asked him to nail himself to the cross for this one

why would the dnc care about $2,000 checks

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

with all due sincerity, they will not give one single solitary whole or partial flying gently caress when he's up for reelection.

if he's the candidate against a Dem opponent, you're absolutely right, but this did genuinely introduce the possibility that he might be primaried by a more moderate Republican. they're gonna use that picture of him waving at insurrectionists in every campaign ad from today until the day he gets out of politics.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

number red

what happened now

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/elizabethcrisp/status/1347621679992864773

woah, didn't see that coming lol

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

perfecto

dow 40k this year

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

y'all

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1348031632666718210

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

What happens to the economy when New York City gets drowned?

https://twitter.com/PaulEDawson/status/1348298302970687488

Dow 50k

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Unemployment is so... yesterday.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210111/p2a/00m/0dm/016000c

quote:

'Rent-a-person who does nothing' in Tokyo receives endless requests, gratitude

TOKYO -- A 37-year-old Tokyo man who says he rents himself out to other people "to do nothing" has been inundated with gratitude from Twitter users, indicating people are happy with his new form of support.

"I'm glad I was able to take a walk with someone while keeping a comfortable distance, where we didn't have to talk but could if we wanted to," one user wrote. Another reflected, "I had been slack about visiting the hospital, but I went because he came with me."

Shoji Morimoto has been advertising himself as a person who can "eat and drink, and give simple feedback, but do nothing more," since June 2018, and has received over 3,000 requests. He has about 270,000 followers on Twitter. Initially he had offered his "rent-a-person who does nothing" services for free, but he now charges 10,000 yen (roughly $96) per request.

People rent him for various reasons. At times he will participate in a gaming session to make up numbers, turn up to send off people who are moving away, accompany those filing for divorce, or listen to health care workers who have become mentally unwell due to their exhausting work.

Morimoto commits to "doing nothing" and basically just gives back-channel feedback when someone speaks to him. "I myself don't like to be cheered on by others. I get upset when people simply tell me keep on trying. When someone is trying to do something, I think the best thing to do is to help lower the bar for them by staying at their side," he explains.

Morimoto got a job with a publisher after finishing a graduate degree, but found it hard to fit in and left. His boss said sarcastically, "It doesn't matter if you're here or not." When he was troubled that he couldn't find anything to do on a long-term basis, he was inspired by a person who did nothing but get treated to meals. Not long after, he set up a Twitter account.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

kinda weird stocks dont immediately tank when he says things like this, but go up at the slightest bit of positive signs

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

it was always gonna be $600 + $1400, nerds

do you people not pay attention to anything? lmao

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Antonymous posted:

when someone says they're going to send $2000 checks I don't assume it means a $1400 check, 'full stop'.

Tubgoat posted:

They promised actual $2000 checks after spending all of last year telling us "Dedund the police is lovely messaging."

There was a big push to make the $600 checks $2,000 instead. When Mitch single-handedly sabotaged it, we got $600 instead. The remainder is $1,400. :shrug:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hey rear end in a top hat since you apparently don’t need $600 how about you give us your $1400 then

Huh?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/NorthmanTrader/status/1349829283028590593

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

remember when people were claiming that a Dem trifecta would absolutely tank stocks?

:thunk:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Your mom went down on me last night

:chanpop:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

every now and then it hits me that we've had a year-long eviction moratorium and student loan freeze

like this is the state of the economy when nobody has to pay student loans and you can't be evicted in many places

things are so loving bad

when is the economy cratering completely?

will it?

how bad do you think things will get?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Father Wendigo posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1352755683041685506?s=19

Presidents come and presidents go, but Number... Number never changes.

gotta make sure the executives can afford that extra yacht

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

i'd prefer 1488 heil hitler, gas the jews, but, well, thats not in that picture unfortunately. :tipshat:

huh?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

gay_crimes posted:

shut up and stop making GBS threads this thread up about it

nazi apologist has logged on

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Cities during non-pandemic times have cool things to do and aren’t a blight on humanity like suburbs are.

I dunno, I live in the suburbs and appreciate the ease with which I can get to wilderness places. There are several wilderness areas within a 15-minute bike ride distance. If I lived in the city proper, it'd take me 20-30 minutes by car.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

silentsnack posted:

city centers would be a lot closer to wilderness if not for all those space-inefficient suburbs in the way generating more traffic

I mean, sure, but it's not like suburbs are gonna go away — we've already built them.

I was responding to the assertion that city centers have cool things to do. They do, but if you like outdoor activities then living closer to wilderness areas might be preferable.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Libs are in this thread DEFENDING suburbs? :psyduck:

how dare they!!! :argh:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

BurnAllTheSuburbs posted:

No, suburbanite, you don't live near any wilderness. At best, you have some parks and lovely monolithic managed new-growth woodlands with little to no ecological diversity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilderness

You're wrong of course, since I know where I live, and what actually is around me, better than you do.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Post a pic or map point to your local "wilderness" so we can all get a good laugh.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

:hmmyes:

Let's set our differences aside and focus on laughing at the fools living in depressing rear end suburbs.

the only thing that is depressing is the quality of your posting

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

dow tanked all the way down to 30.5k, now it's back up to 30.9k

god drat this loving poo poo

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

145 now