Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Joey Steel posted:

Basically one couple out of a big group of friends of mine were all "we're going to get married, but have girlfriends join the relationship if we both agree to it" that spiraled out to where the guy got more angry and eventually they divorced when they both started stepping out on each other. Ended up that he decided "gently caress it" took a rifle and did a house clear of everyone at one of the football parties we all used to go to. Shot everyone once to down them, then went through the house for headshots after people were incapacitated, with multiple shots to the face of some folks he was angry with at the time. Really broke the one military friend in the friend group, because that's where he got the idea from, I'm pretty sure. I wasn't at the party as I was working in another state at the time.

Trying to make a half dozen funerals in a weekend was... not fun. I still need to go lay flowers at one friend's memorial, but I can't get to it since the land around the graveyard was bought out and I'm not sure how to get to it without trespassing through the now industrial zone with locked fences. Kinda hard to do when I have to drive 5 hours to even try. I still remember when we had to sneak in the sister of the guy who killed everyone into the ex-wife's wake, since she and her were best friends.

:smith:

polycule relationships are so hosed up!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

redleader posted:

chip production is 100% one of those things that should be produced locally in pretty much every country for national security reasons

but that's expensive

but that would cost as much as 2 stealth bombers. we can’t afford it

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
it still loving blows my mind that the cost of the B-2 program alone could have set up AT LEAST 8 semiconductor fab facilities in the US. this is a plane that isn't really even stealth and has never been used against an actual state actor, to my knowledge

like, i know why they didn't give us permanent m4a with zero tax increase at the cost of the F35/JSF project, because they hate us. but even strategically it would have made more sense to build factories that just collect dust

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Agrajag posted:

anybody who watched 1/6 and texas imploding and not see the writing on the wall that america is done and well on its way out is blind

what exactly happened on 1/6, in your words

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
man I can’t see why people didn’t trust the covid guidance. it was always so consistent and based solely on the science!

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I don't think for a minute that the stock of buyers that are WFHers with enough cash to buy a bigger house in the country for the duration of a pandemic is significant enough to be a driver in this market.

It was pointed out last year that all those "city people are moving to the suburbs to wfh" fluff stories were based on the volume of home searches, not sales.

It is absolutely a thing. Ask someone that knows in Montana, Colorado, etc. Bozeman, and Missoula have appreciated nearly 50 percent in the past year, much faster than nearly any other market.

stellers bae has issued a correction as of 23:10 on Apr 12, 2021

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

They're not, though. Seattle is rising at, maybe, 10% YoY. Bozeman just put up 50% last year.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Lostconfused posted:

It's not a Prius thing, it's a Toyota thing. Some of their other cars have a foot operated ebreak.

My Prius has a foot operated parking brake

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
money laundering and tax evasion are good. less money to us imperialism and killer cops is good. gently caress 12 and that includes the IRS

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
1/6 was both not a big deal at all, and funny, and cool, and good. gently caress out of c-spam if you disagree

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

I think I'm gonna buy this car this weekend

https://www.bowsersubaru.com/new/Subaru/2021-Subaru-Outback-for-sale-near-Pittsburgh-6dbe687e0a0e0adf2cfdb41afab50552.htm

Trading in my car I bought seven years ago means it'll cost me less on fewer payments than my old poo poo car cost. lol

rav4 hybrid better in every way

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

actionjackson posted:

thinking back to car chat from a few days ago

It's insanely tempting to sell my used car right now for like 11.5k if I can lease a new car for 200/month with no down payment, am I crazy

I only drive 3k/miles a year, and my current vehicle, while it only has 55k miles, can be quite expensive to repair, and is 10 years old

best deal in cars right now is a toyota prius prime, IF you will withhold/pay more than $4,502 in federal taxes this year.

1. get a quote for your car from carvana
2. find/negotiate the lowest price in your area for a prius prime, DM me if you need help
3. ask them to match the carvana price for trade-in, reducing your sales tax - or sell to carvana if the numbers work out better
4. file for your $4,502 tax rebate next year

i bought a prius prime for around $19k net a few months ago, some in california and the NE have done better and qualify for extra clean air rebates. not that you'd want to, but you will likely be able to sell it for a profit until it's about 1.5 years old, that's right, literal negative depreciation.

get the LE without the dumb upgrades, it still has adaptive cruise/lane tracing/carplay/all the important goodies - and you can plug it in for 25 miles of range if you can charge. i get ~300mpg during the week and ~65mpg on weekend road trips, in the most reliable car made (fully in japan!).

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Nonsense posted:

Carvana is known to pay wayyy over what their competitors do for cars both in private transactions and at the auto auctions. Who’s funding them?

I've sold two cars to Carvana and basically ripped them off, one of them had *massive* hail damage everywhere (plastics and glass were replaced) and the other had that plus a bunch of egging damage on it. The person picking it up didn't give a poo poo and I was paid as if they were in 'great' condition

They also quoted my 4Runner at more than I bought it for... new.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
currently thinking i should yolo myself into a house with a fixed-rate mortgage as that debt will soon be enough to only purchase an orange (non-organic)

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
buy a prius prime for $19k net, it feels loving luxury as poo poo to someone used to driving crappy cars and it will drive forever and/or hold value

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

I would have nowhere to plug it in

so? then don't

Koirhor posted:

you have to use a touchscreen to use the climate control, thats a huge loving no for me

nope, not in the LE model the price is based on

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
What the everliving gently caress, I bought my 4Runner new a ~year ago and Vroom will now offer me like $2.5k more than I paid for it

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
Considering trading in my one year old car to get a new one, it'd be about a wash even with fees+tax considering I get new tires and a new warranty lol

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
lol it was totally a lab leak and we're never going to officially say it, are we

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
why is is sinophobia to speculate about a lab leak

try not to do a whataboutism in your answer lol

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It's more interesting if you tell us what you think should happen if it was a leak. What will it be- pulling a dollar amount out of thin air and saying to nobody in particular, "China owes us this much money for ruining our economy" or a shooting war that America is guaranteed to lose? You have a legitimate opportunity to answer

i think 'identifying truth' and 'setting a course of action based on that truth' are two separate things, imo

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
my gaming rig currently generates enough ETH mining that it will pay more than half my mortgage per month at this rate! seems normal.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/chipmaker-tsmc-eyeing-expansion-planned-arizona-plant-sources-2021-05-04/

it seems REALLY loving STUPID to have your main plants in Taiwan running out of water due to a drought, and your solution is to then build plants IN ARIZONA.

Why? There's plenty of water in Arizona if you just divert it away from the people who are using it now (and making far less profit doing so!)

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Koirhor posted:

PHEV means it takes me about 6 months to go through 30 gallons with the usual errand running. Filled it all up 3 weeks ago

Nice, what do you have? Volt? Prius Prime?

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
i already own a home but have the cash to put money on a down payment now - tempted to buy another and just let my bro live there for the cost of utilities. seems like a safer bet than just watching my savings account get inflated down to nothing

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
PHEV supremacy, I am #gasshortage and power outage-proof (just not both at the same time)

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
I buy gas from an Indian reservation, I’m not sure why it’s cheaper but it is

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
no to toot my finely crafted japanese horn again but the prius prime has insane rebates right now and gets 53MPG if you don't charge it at home and way more if you do. it's also way nicer than older prii in noise, handling, and power

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
working from home is better in every possible way, especially if you can go into the office for meetings and socials occasionally, but we're not going to do it because some folks hate their kids and can't figure out their wifi routers. awesome!

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm the child of boomers and woodstock '99 definitely happened when I was 16. We had our woodstock and we ensured it would never hurt anyone again.

Besides, now we have Bonnaroo and SXSW and all sorts of festivals. If anything, we have like, a couple dozen woodstocks a year now, not just a one-off mud show to reminisce endlessly about. You can go get stoned and play in the mud a lot more often now, and overpay for the experience too.

Yeah but the drugs are much more expensive in inflation-adjusted dollars now

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Chad Sexington posted:

not if you make hedonic adjustments based on the potency of the weed/fentanyl

fair enough, safe psychedelics are way more now though. unless maybe mushrooms i guess

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
currently trying to sell my 2020 4Runner and get into a 2021 for no out of pocket, cheaper that than getting an oil change yknow

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
my brother crossed the country by bicycle a few years ago. I wonder how many micromorts of risk he absorbed, pretty sure he should be dead 3x by now

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
oh btw y’all, make sure to get your free internet through that new program. my wife and I qualify because she lost her job even though she made more being on UI than working lol

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
someone hosed up the pipeline for... 100 BTC? lol

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

that's not really being 'paid in bitcoin', being paid in bitcoin would mean like '1 BTC' per paycheck and so the USD you'd receive would swing wildly around every two weeks

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
oh my loving god, my 4runner continues to go up in price. it's a 2020 with 18k miles, i paid $36,900 for it before tax, new. vroom is offering $41,055! wtf!

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

My hot/depressed take is that crypto will never be eradicated, or even brought under any amount of serious control. Doing so requires collective action worldwide, and yet the world cannot even come together to do anything about things such as Brazil wantonly burning down the Amazon, and that is despite the fact that it is such an obvious and visible attack on the environment and one that your average person can understand relatively easily. So if something like that cannot generate the political will for action, then a bunch of selfish morons using too much electricity for their virtual money definitely won't, because the damage that causes the environment is harder to conceptualize and directly measure.

Western nations can definitely bring the monster to bear at least somewhat, though, and strongly discourage their own citizens from getting scammed. Extreme capital gains taxes on crypto assets is a good way to do that, and it's also quite feasible politically because unlike China, Western politicians are not balls deep in crypto... yet.

what exactly should 'we' 'do' about the amazon

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

No they haven't. Arkansas and Oklahoma only have medical marijuana, not recreational, and then you're limited on dispensaries because very few people are willing to take on the liability. Louisiana has only decriminalized it to a small extent, and that only means lowest level of enforcement, there are still penalties for possession. They are nothing like Colorado or even New Mexico in policy.

Texas state law is more lenient than most would think, with possession of up to 2oz of flower being only a misdemeanor, though concentrates in any quantity are felony. It's the county and city laws that are so much worse. In Tennessee, felony possession levels start at half an ounce of flower.

I spent a year and change working in the industry here in Colorado, so I try to keep up on weed law changes. New Mexico just went recreational, that's the best big news in weed lately. Louisiana just now decriminalizing means they're still 20+ years behind Mississippi, who decriminalized possession under an ounce to a ticket a long rear end time ago.

oh no poor trinidad, co weed stores! didn't they rely on texans coming up for weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
samsung bad, lg good