Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

oxsnard posted:

serious question: what's stopping, say, california from issuing a couple trillion dollars worth of bonds, implementing UBI and UHC and then daring the feds to let the state go bankrupt?

The federal government would burn the country to the ground if that's what it took to punish CA for implmenting UHC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

What single syllable cheese is there except for chevre I guess?

Brie?

Swiss?

Head?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Imagine if the container ship sunk in that position

It looks like it's aground at both ends, so it effectively is.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm the pasta sauce, with no italian pasta to go on.

The pasta is in the boxes immedately in front of the sauce jars.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

i am harry posted:

this poo poo is so disgusting they only have like two tomatoes some onions and six potatoes and 20lbs of meat jesus christ

I love when topics like this come up and people start posting as if the average goon's vegetable intake didn't get cut by 80% when Costco took away the onion dispensers from the snack bar.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Yeah they can move to an area with more economic opportunity and cities aren't mid decline cycle. Mid Atlantic region is not that place

Poor people in the poor parts of the country are told that they're assholes for not moving to the wealthy cities because that's where the jobs are.

Poor people in wealthy cities are told that they're assholes for not moving to the poor parts of the country because that's where the affordable housing is.

This is an excellent system.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Hadlock posted:

If poor people would move to wealthy cities and themselves become wealthy, we'd reduce load on social services while also increasing tax base to build out things like improved hospitals, public transit

I'm sorry. I don't keep track which posters are doing bits and which ones are sincere as well as I used to.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to ironically yes-and this or call you a moron.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

You know the answer

I think I've pieced it together.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Doesn't matter anyhow now. Norway joined nato and soon will be pressured into joining the failing EU. Will be easier to plunder that stupid country.

Norway is a founding NATO member.

Sweden and Finland are the new ones.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Dalaram posted:

that looked like a Cozy, thought certainly not $1.4m townhouse until the bedroom, with the bed wedged between walls with the TV poised to fall, and then an open air shitter right behind the door.

:psyduck:

If you're the kind of person who sees it as an asset that you'll Airbnb out for a bit until you sell it at $5m then it's a steal.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Taima posted:

Once I was exiting the R99 in cupertino and there was just a live rear end turtle chilling by the sliding doors.

They were in the news a while back because they carried meat into the store in a shopping cart in broad daylight:

What I'm saying is that R99 is unironically very good.

The company is named 99 Ranch.

And it is very good.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

bro at work I'm in the bathroom chilling on my phone like more often than not

or like the weird archive room no one goes into

Maybe no one goes into it because you keep making GBS threads there.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

How is it possible it’s cheaper to buy crap tomato sauce via make it yourself? Tomatoes, onions, etc aren’t that expensive now even with inflation. gently caress, we make our own and maybe add a can of the Costco organic stuff in a pinch.

It's a lot cheaper to mass ship trainloads of tomatoes to a factory, render that into nonperisable cans of sauce and then ship that at your leisure than it is to move highly perishable fruit through the supermarket's supply chain before it spoils.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

Farmers markets? I guess we’re kind of spoiled around here with what we have access to because we mostly by local veggies. My parents grow a lot of stuff each summer so we get garlic, eggplants, tomato’s etc and we make sauces and freeze them.

Maybe it's different out in the country, but if you live anywhere with a substantial population, farmers markets are where you go to buy produce that might taste a little better but definitely costs five times as much as it does at the store.

When you're talking about feeding millions of people who don't own enough land to feed themselves, you need to start looking at things like economies of scale, capital ownership, market forces, and all that other crap. At that point you would be better off reading Marx and getting the big picture rather than thinking about small potatoes like tomatoes.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

do hotels still do the continental breakfasts? i havent stayed in a hotel in years but that sounds exactly like the thing they would "temporarily" stop because of covid and then never bring back

It's pretty common in hotels that serve business travelers. Less so in luxury hotels and ones that server vacationers.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

What does this mean? The notion of owning a house is as fantastical as getting a closet doorway to Narnia so I haven't bothered learning a thing about buying and selling houses

What does your mortgage interest rate have to do with selling the house

It's not about selling the house so much as losing that cheap mortgage. The next house they buy will have a mortgage with three about times that rate.

So, if they buy a house with a similar price as the last one, they would have a much larger mortgage payment. Or, if they want to keep the same payment, they would have to buy a much cheaper house.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

Ben Franklin would never say the penis is evil

Imagine a giant Franklin head hovering over the city exhorting people to gently caress MILFs and expelling bifocals from its mouth.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Justin Tyme posted:

At least inflation hasn't affected the local SPCA and you can go feed the llamas goats n bunnies for four bucks

What kind of crazy SPCA has meat eating llamas? Espcially ones that can eat something as large as a goat.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s not the whole cohort but there is a segment that is absolutely deranged in that age bracket across class lines that is notable.

Every day of our life we are witness to people of every age behaving like psychopaths.

All you're doing is attaching special meaning to ones who look old and ignoring the ones you don't care about. You're patting yourself on the back for being good at confirmation bias.

In then years time when we've transitioned fully over to "generation X is the cause of all life's problems" you will be making the same arguments Willa is making.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Theres a difference between a lack of supply being needing "affordable housing" and a lack of supply being there not being houses because there are a lot of houses empty out there. More than the unhoused population.

BRB - going out to tell all the homeless people in town to move to Detroit.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Oh wow is this actually happening :dance:

No, it's a photoshop based on an image of Kevin Feige announcing the next round of Marvel movies.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Tempora Mutantur posted:

did jimmy cams spend any of that billions of budget on a new font or is the official avatar logo still papyrus

The subtitles are in it too.

It's like a trip down the goddamn nile.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

GWB has been rebranded & his rep among libs rehabilitated in the intervening decades; why hasn't walmart's?

Walmart also has a reputation for being where poor people and republicans shop. That kind of stigma is harder to wash off.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

Love to see meaningless layoffs as a blood sacrifice to number.

Yes, but have you considered that when they get canned the CEO will make prayer hands and say "namaste" afterwards thus making it an act of compassion.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

:ssh: Don't tell dems if the medicaid work requirement is a backdoor to forcing people on ACA plans, or they'll agree to that poo poo so fast it'll make your head spin.

They know and every member of the leadership is practicing their sad and earnest looks in the mirror in preparation for the bipartisan debt ceiling deal announcement.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hell yeah gently caress those people making less than minimum wage amirite???

This is why we'll never get rid of tipping. It's just too important to people's ability to think of themselves as good people.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

actionjackson posted:

glad to see they will be hiring blind people though

edit: wait maybe that guy is not blind

Maybe the dog is blind. Don't assume.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

90s Solo Cup posted:

The whole "racial purity" thing seems like the elephant in the Japanese room. No idea how many people actually subscribe to that nonsense, but it apparently informs on Japan's staunch resistance to immigration.

The idea that race mixing is problematic is universal - it's just that countries with racially mixed populations have a stronger motivation to move past that.

If Japan had a stable population, we wouldn't be giving it a second thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

ive seen a surprising number of rivians so it seems like they're selling at the 70k or w/e msrp. are they making trucks still or whats going on?

I've seen a bunch of Rivian Amazon delivery vans in my area.