Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

low prices friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

2021 has blessed us with both low prices and blood

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

i read somewhere that one of the reasons stock shot up in 2020 is that people couldn't spend money doing their regular activities, and decided to invest it instead

so it might get wild as things open back up and people pull that money out

maybe? i dont fuckin know anymore, the whole thing is such a black box that any prediction is basically the equivalent of reading tea leaves

if by people you mean masayoshi son

then yes

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

thats not candy posted:

the use case for like 99% of people is making money, its just a very weird and very risky investment vehicle

yeah but yoloing into tesla puts wont as often end with you getting beaten to death with a sack of fake amazon gift cards in an applebees parking lot

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

that just means more money for capital

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Did you guys know that Trader Joe's has hash browns that taste drat near identical to McDonalds hash browns?

they are solid browns though i need to try frying them to really get there.

still good baked

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Look at how bendy the bannanas are though! Thats freedom innit

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Chillgamesh posted:

Wait so is that Brexit food package thing supposed to be the equivalent of US EBT/WIC?

america can actually produce more than eels and inbred aristocracy so the poor end up getting massive blocks of low quality cheese

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

why the gently caress are they using the plastic cups? that's what the tray is for

its probably cafeteria stlye so this lovely selection is what the kid chose themselves because kids are loving stupid

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

crepeface posted:

no argument here, just didn't realize it was a common thing to have schools provide lunches. also no one who went to my lovely public school was terribly well off, everyone's lunches usually consisted of sandwiches and some fruit. family dinner was the generally the "proper" meal.

its the only meals a shamefully large percentage of american children are fed in the states

fortunately we have long summer breaks so it only costs 3/4 to as much as it could

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh no these school lunches aren't free, you have to pay money for this trash. The free lunch is generally even more embarrassingly inadequate, depending on your specific district.

also if you go into lunch debt you will be disciplined is someone tries to pay it off for you that isnt your guardian

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

chancellor merkel my name is tommy cornsplitter and I am a boy from central nebraska please my people cry out for austerity my mother was killed by unjust government debt

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

every now and then it hits me that we've had a year-long eviction moratorium and student loan freeze

like this is the state of the economy when nobody has to pay student loans and you can't be evicted in many places

things are so loving bad

conversely we’ve gone a year with a huge portion of america not paying rent and the only people negatively affected have been small landlord who all universally suck

there will be a massive effort to make america forget this happened and was not only possible but done by the dumbest president it was so obvious a solution

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Beached Whale posted:

I think there's a general idea that "The street never loses" which from my experience on the regulatory side is absolutely not true. Not only do they lose all the fuckin time but they need the handlers to put on the muzzles or they'll all go apeshit trying to eat year old spoiled steaks.

the street never loses because when they do the fed cums money all over their face

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Brunch Covidian posted:

GameStop trading halted; shares up 1000%. This is because more people sold short on it than shares even exist, requiring institutional investors to buy the underlying stock to hedge, driving the price up further, attracting even more short sellers, etc etc etc. Currently, the stock is over subscribe to shorts; short sellers hold contracts for over 109% of its outstanding shares. People think it's such a sure bet to crash that they've created a scarcity of shares and an increase in price.

It's a doomed company, there isn't even any kind of plan for a future of viability, but this perverse feedback loop of short selling has caused it to go full on dutch tulip.

Totally normal market

i wonder if there is a gamestop exec angerly cursing hertz for making it impossible for dying companies to issue more shares

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i gave all my money away*

*to a foundation completely controlled by me that pays me a huge salary and since its non profit all the money we make is tax free

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1352745052594970626?s=19

Loooooool

The EU has blacklisted the UK's tax havens. What a continuing self-own Brexit is.

Its be funny if the queen independently puts the channel islands into the eu

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lmao that the “fund” that is getting turbo hosed by reddit is just some idiot with a newsletter

/wallstreetbets boomer edition

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

melvin capital is a "real" hedge fund

oh ive only seen the lemon dude as the instigator

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

just remember when you drain your 401 k you need to pay the penalty come tax time

itll be offset by that paper you stack but dont let it surprise you!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

hey, hey... i have an idea...

CSPAM Bets

heavy leveraged buyouts of peach farms and strombo factories

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

https://www.investing.com/commodities/tocom-azuki-red-bean-futures numbers down buy buy buy

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

what's funny is this is absolutely market manipulation. investors are agreeing with other investors (who they in theory should be competing with) not to sell until particular and clearly arbitrary stock prices and openly hoping that their actions move the stock move a particular way.

but who do you ding for it?

it would be funny if they rounded up the WSB mods though

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cumshitter posted:

you dont put it in savings because bank interest will always be below federal interest. IE, your money will lose value against inflation. like at the very least you should invest in certified deposits just to ensure your money is not losing value over the long term. and inflation is especially harmful in retirement when you are no longer earning

if you are more conservative you can always go with bonds, bond funds, or CDs. i dont make the rules, thats just a fact of money.

i shoveled my 401k into meme stocks and took out as many lines of credit as possible for them as well should i start building networks at ferrarri dealerships now or do you get on the waiting lists a different way

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cumshitter posted:

just buy your own ferrari dealership, idiot

now this is investment advice i can trust

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You and your fleet of repo trucks will take over the south side of a small city!

what the gently caress is even the point if i cant put a poorly printed sign with my name on it on the side of my masarati and drive it down main street for the memorial day parade anymore

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

human garbage bag posted:

Be careful it's not enough that a stock has a ton of short sellers, you also need to make it a meme so retail investors can join you to squeeze the shorts. Similar to how the proletariat could have done the revolution in russia in say 1895, but it took Lenin and Stalin years to build up bolshevism to meme status and united the proles to act in unison.

they also robbed a bank which is a good strat here so you can use the liberated funds for gme

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the last gasp of a man realizing his fellow billionaires are going to let him be devoured if he doesn’t figure this poo poo out soon

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I am just interested in how these hedgers are trying to get rid of their contracts since the strategy in play is well-known, right? so nobody is going to buy those because it is a veritable mongol horde of investors to go against to make those short sells viable

yeah wall street is going to let them flail lol if they cant figure out how to fix it welp guess you arent in the three comma club anymore. they can always add wsb to their reddit front page in addition to baseball and photography or racism or whatever old people use reddit for

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Gio posted:

no really someone help!!! im dumb! none of it makes sense!!! what is happening!!!

number go up

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

oxsnard posted:

wait why is that happening? Can't keep up

you see reddit is loving over two small time hedge funds and this will be the direct cause for the collapse of capital

Goldman Sachs will fe forced to clean up the wreckage at dimes on the dollar rather than pennies on the dollar!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lol this guy is gonna be furious

he named it after his grandfather

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cumshitter posted:

I WILL MAKE A VOYAGE TO THE MECCA OF THE NYSE SO I CAN THROW MY BODY INTO THE SERVERS AND BECOME ONE WITH THE EXCHANGE

they will have 5 people just to ensure each strand of cum is the same length to make sure no sperm has a latency advantage

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lmao at all the goons running into the hard reality that robinhood is a very poorly made app

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

robinhood is a very well designed app at its primary function which is making investing look easy and uncomplicated so people use it

right but it also breaks a lot and their servers have a habit of melting down at the most lol worthy moments in past wsb meme magicing

im actually shocked that it hasnt exploded more in this round of madness

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

If true doesn't that open them up to liabilities with their customers that would greatly outweigh the losses potentially incurred by the short squeeze? Making a false public statement like that seems even more illegal...

good thing laws arent real

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

So theres like no chance this short squeeze and the $1000+ moonshot happens right? Like melvin will obviously just default on the shorts and get an sec bailout right

nah more than likely his assets will be gobbled up by a real player like blackstone or gs for cheap while he has to go pout for the rest of his live at his westchester/long island mansion while his friends make fun of him for getting beaten up by reddit

he's not big enough for the government to care

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

So i should hold then?

drain your 401k into the most yolo swaps you can find on as high a margin as you can get

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the death of gamestop will really hit the black market weed trade hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

amc and whomever is giving them credit knows they just need to not collapse long enough for open er up to apply to theatres so bezos can finally buy them out