Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

thalweg posted:

69 hours in GIMP, and i have no idea if it's even funny anymore but im posting it anyway goddammit

reposted it across all my influencer accounts so I can take credit :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

dead gay comedy forums posted:

what a waste of glorious nuclear power

if it's literally just used for load balancing then it's not a big deal but lmao they will prob just run it all the time

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Honestly kind of shocking how low those crash dips are

Edit log.scale loving owned my rear end

luv to have one axis log, the other linear and all axes basically unidentified or associated with their respective lines

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

human garbage bag posted:

If you ban rich people from serving in congress, then the only people who will run are those who enjoy weilding power.

"people who enjoy wielding power" is definitely a description that precludes the rich people that want to serve in congress

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Zeno-25 posted:

I don't really think you "get" incentives

This is the economy thread, right?

this week on freakanomics: our eggheads choose between an electric car and their children. their conclusions may surprise you!

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Crazypoops posted:

Can't let material existence get better because that would crush the current economic hegemony of *flips paper ...bookies and gambling addicts

:eng101: gambling and cocaine addicts

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Sing Along posted:

I am going to spend my life paying off somebody else's fifth mortgage till I get evicted and die on the street. Best economy in the world

have you considered cutting down on fancy coffees and bootstrapping yourself to home ownership?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

how much could people be wasting on fancy coffee a year? $20,000? $50,000?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Paradoxish posted:

My brain is breaking at those prices. The cheapest one is like half the cost of the rattiest house anywhere within ten miles of me.

the cheapest one is actually a multifamily housing unit

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

PawParole posted:

i like to think that a piece of epstien lives on (especially thru the clones of him in his ranch in new Mexico)

epstien clone cabinet 2040 and everyone is getting nervous about asking why everyone in barron trump's cabinet looks the same

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

tbh just gonna get a new genre of failson: clone failson

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Hammy posted:

tons of new cryptos work this way, either by piggybacking on another chain like ETH or just using proof of stake then "airdropping" the coins to whoever is in the discord group or whatever

lol that's so fuckin' scammy

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Joey Steel posted:

Basically one couple out of a big group of friends of mine were all "we're going to get married, but have girlfriends join the relationship if we both agree to it" that spiraled out to where the guy got more angry and eventually they divorced when they both started stepping out on each other. Ended up that he decided "gently caress it" took a rifle and did a house clear of everyone at one of the football parties we all used to go to. Shot everyone once to down them, then went through the house for headshots after people were incapacitated, with multiple shots to the face of some folks he was angry with at the time. Really broke the one military friend in the friend group, because that's where he got the idea from, I'm pretty sure. I wasn't at the party as I was working in another state at the time.

Trying to make a half dozen funerals in a weekend was... not fun. I still need to go lay flowers at one friend's memorial, but I can't get to it since the land around the graveyard was bought out and I'm not sure how to get to it without trespassing through the now industrial zone with locked fences. Kinda hard to do when I have to drive 5 hours to even try. I still remember when we had to sneak in the sister of the guy who killed everyone into the ex-wife's wake, since she and her were best friends.

:smith:

polyamorists gently caress up so many things for people in their lives. selfish rear end lifestyle if you ask me

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Smythe posted:

this crypto gold rush needs to end kuz i literally cannot buy a graphics card for my computer.

crypto seriously loving sucks for this reason and I want to swirlie every crypto miner guy out there

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I was waiting for cyberpunk 2077 to come out (lol) for my upgrade/rebuild and I check around and absolutely everything about building a gaming PC is hosed for like a year at least imo

praying for a crypto crash so I can peruse what are probably dangerously overvolted and OC'd used HW for cheap :cry:

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Shipon posted:

Oh come on you're full of poo poo the 3070 didn't even come out until-

Wait 2070

gently caress

:(

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Shear Modulus posted:

GPUs are fully financialized. They are rent-extracting investment assets now. Trying to buy one to play games on is like trying to buy a house to live in.

it's a good thing there's a basic demand for crypto to do _________???

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I remember the thing with crypto is that if the price gets high enough, people just start making custom processor stuff specifically suited to bitcoin and then all the GPU miners are outclassed and their GPU farms are worthless. is that still the case today? seems like we're at the GPU mining phase of the bubble and we should be hitting the custom hardware phase any day now

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

global stock value is worth over 120% of global GDP right now

we're in the final "game of chicken" brinksmanship phase of things and it'll be a tossup if pent up covid demand will in any way mitigate our pending financial doom

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Shipon posted:

Ethereum's mining algorithms are heavily memory intensive and no one seems to be able to make an ASIC that can handle it. Apparently the ETH devs can just arbitrarily change the algorithm to make it more difficult to make dedicated mining hardware (absolutely no one mines bitcoin with GPUs anymore, they've long been outclassed by dedicated hardware which cannot do anything but bitcoin hashes). Kind of interesting that for their supposed praise of a network which no one can ostensibly control, they just allow a central group of devs to tweak the system like that but hey, none of this poo poo makes any sense.

drat ethereum sounds like a loving pyramid scheme (more so than most crypto)

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Epic High Five posted:

Sure but what's that got to do with anything, number always go up despite reality, especially Tesla

Did they announce raises for their workforce or something

markets will probably tank after march stimulus and it's a big institutional investor leaving the bazinga plebes holding the bag as they huff their own farts

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

sorry, I mean HODL DIAMOND HANDS TO THE MOON gently caress ME MUSKY DADDI

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

oxsnard posted:

right and what happens in situations like this is that stonks start acting kinda like bonds, the relative strengths vs the markets tend to reflect bond repayment. So your consumer brands will hold up well, relatively speaking, as will your companies with a strong balance sheet (apple, google etc`

I'll have you know tesla is a core component of the S+P which must mean it has a strong balance sheet. now to just take a big sip of water as I read anything at all ever about tesla...

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

elon musk getting into crypto because it looks like a solid investment next to tesla stock

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Shipon posted:

They're also all big on "you can do smart contracts!" with this poo poo too, like two years ago there was a thing where the entire ETH blockchain was being clogged by transactions trading virtual pets

love to treat this like some store of value

if you were a coked up finance bro looking a bar graphs of ethereum "number go up" on your octuple monitor setup then maybe you'd understand the disruption :twisted:

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Shear Modulus posted:

i think sony has ps5 more locked down than the ps3 was which people did hack to mine bitcoins back then, but people aren't mining bitcoins with gpu's they're mining off-brand bitcoins like ethereum

it's really funny that everyone is just lining up for the kirkland bitcoin rushes while ignoring the paradox of "why are multiple cryptos out there and how are any of them worth money compared to the rest?"

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Paolomania posted:

I played it on a lowly 1660Ti and it was perfectly fine.

I have a gtx 770

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Shipon posted:

Typically miners will undervolt their GPUs because overclocking them won't increase hash performance enough to make up for the extra electricity. The fans running full bore might prematurely failure and the memory on the 3080/3090 runs pretty hot so those might be something to worry about with mining GPUs though

well that's nice to know at least

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Mr Hootington posted:

Marx envisioned full communism through buying stocks.

I dknt know if you know this, but Marx owned stocks.

marx would've deffo been a GME hodl guy

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

crispyseaweed posted:

The ultimate goon cave is the large jar that Diogenes lived in.

classical gooncaves, goonwives, etc. PYFs!

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

all the SOs goin wild on the covid thread has big vibes of that dude whose wife dumps the chamber pot on his head (socrates wife)

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

additionally, goons post in a “forum” which has many parallels with

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

vice (newscorp) prob hates wapo/bezos but hey billionaires holding each other accountable

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

oxsnard posted:

he's a coke fiend

are you telling me musk isn't the stable genius the media has led me to to think he was????

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Shear Modulus posted:

basically all of the top individual days in the past 20 years were either in october 2008 or march 2020 and were within days of the worst individual days of the past 20 years. so it would mean that during the periods of the thing going up and down 8-10% a day you got in on all the down days but missed all the up days during the same week

lol meltdown in April then eh?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Horseshoe theory posted:

Coinbase makes it easier to launder money than the de minimis AML/KYC that Goldman and Wells Fargo makes you go through. *taps head*

pretty much this looks like coinbase is one of the big dogs now and we can expect the free market to start bailing out bitcoin markets

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

"ironically" looking for stock tips in the cspam doomsday economics thread

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Nice and hot piss posted:

Again, you do the opposite of what goons do and you make profit. I'm just genuinely curious and am going to let my tiny shares of GME help me buy groceries.

My money will stay buried in the backyard thank you

there's a stock thread in BFC if you want stock tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Nice and hot piss posted:

I was kind of hoping for some witty answers but uh

here's a witty answer: get hosed capitalist speculator