Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

gently caress, I've been poo poo talking bitcoin for years, but at this point $100,000 bitcoins wouldn't even cause me to raise an eyebrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Smythe posted:

Get in the market baby

I sold everything in June because of this thread and I am single-handedly preventing the market from crashing by not buying back in.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Do another 5-way split on Tesla you coward.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Can someone explain the rising bond rates to me? It seems like a rising yield would be the only thing to derail the market at this point. How much control does the federal government actually have over the rates vs. demand for them on the bond market?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

So Tesla passed Facebook in market cap. Now it just has to pass Google, Amazon, Apple, and then finally Microsoft to be the largest company in the United States. I'm actually rooting for this to happen.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I've fully transitioned from FOMO to joker laughing at the market exploding upwards regardless of anything happening in real life day after day.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Wasn't there an article a few months ago about how retail traders trading options was actually out-muscling institutional investors for the first time ever?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Is this the first time the market hasn't pumped on stimulus talk?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Have there been any recent news on how banks have been affected by the commercial real estate collapses, or is that something that you won't know is happening until a bank blows up?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Woops we hosed up pushing austerity in the 2008 crisis, time to whipsaw to the opposite position and put the money hoses on full blast and see what happens.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

dammit now I'm rooting for wsb

Tik Tok investor teens were the true revolutionaries we have been waiting for.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

https://youtu.be/QjmX06ihiXE

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

So how long before the rampaging mongol horde of retail investors end up blowing up a bank and bringing everything down?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

So I guess we've gotten to that point where all the bears and holdovers have finally caved and everyone is frantically shoveling money as fast as they can into the stock market in a frenzied mania.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

soup. posted:

Bloomberg just put out an alert on its terminals to traders that AMC has doubled its usual premarket volume, btw. I don't know if you guys get these.

Lol, almost put my entire IRA into AMC yesterday but chickened out. Rooting for the brave ones in here to make out like bandits.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

So is the rest of the market tanking because people are pulling out everything to put in meme stocks and large funds are being forced to liquidate, or has the whole situation exposed how dumb everything is right now?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

BGrifter posted:

koss portapros are good budget headphones!

they look kinda ridiculous but they sound good.

I've got a pair of these and they are amazing.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I might be wrong, but I think the tax situation on precious metal ETFs is kind of complicated compared to normal stock ETFs. I think they are taxed under collectables and have some other littler weird things.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Serious question, didn't we go through decades of rocket testing to figure this poo poo out and build from? Is SpaceX doing anything radically new that requires blowing up a rocket every other week? I'm just assuming they are taking the Tesla approach of starting over from scratch for no reason.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

GEMorris posted:

Just as a PSA: I've exited all of my short positions after taking substantial losses. This means the market should crash within the next week.

I refuse to ever buy back in. I will hold this market on my shoulders like Atlas while everyone around me gets rich and I lose everything to hyperinflation.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Is gold literally the only asset not pumping right now, because lol at gold bugs.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

samantonio posted:

God dayum!

So is this the polar vortex falling apart again or is this something different?

Also did they ever solve that problem that if Bitcoin usage scaled up then the sheer amount of computation needed on every transaction would go up exponentially to the point of it being completely unusable?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Blood?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Lol yeah it rules. Glad I upgraded when I did and ended up stuck with a 2080 for the rest of my life instead of the 680 I had been refusing to upgrade

When I built this last computer I cheaped out and got a 2060 because the bitcoin crash happened and I thought I could upgrade whenever I wanted to now. I hope this graphics card can hold out for 10 years!

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

net work error posted:

This seems like something that would count towards "mattering"?
https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1364309072665837569

What can a fighter accomplish that a loitering drone or missile can't? It seems like the fighter program is just a huge prestige program at this point.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I remember a couple months ago where the fed and a bunch of analysts were confidently saying 10-year rates wouldn't raise much beyond 1.1% and that it was totally under control. It's crazy how much of the financial reporting industry is solely based on trying to shape reality with magical thinking and just making up poo poo to justify it because the second everyone stops believing all the money just poofs away like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Jon Irenicus posted:

if the global pandemic isn't the black swan event to cripple the world economy and force it to make meaningful changes then what the gently caress will lmao

Slightly higher interest rates making the entire zombie economic institutions unable to service their debts.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Bitcoin crashes again and bankrupts Tesla.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I dunno, the fed doesn't seems to have that much control over the skyrocketing yields right now even though they say they do. I'm not too familiar with the bond market, but if prices keep cratering could there be a full-on run on the bond market as institutions try to unload?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

So when the 10-year yield was creeping up over 1 percent earlier this year I remember the fed saying they would be monitoring the rise and would take action if it went much higher. The yields seem to be increasing at an accelerated pace ever since then and I think hit 1.6% sometime today. Have they attempted to slow this at all and failed, or not even tried anything yet? I'm not trying to be contrarian, I honestly have no idea how this stuff works.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I was curious and just popped over into the Tesla Investing reddit and it's kind of depressing.

People are setting themselves up to get absolutely rinsed.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, I find that hard to believe, too, but food prices are a pretty regional thing, so maybe? But I'm pretty good about tracking our budget and our week-to-week grocery expenses went up more than 3% in 2020, even though we made a serious effort to buy less and stretch things out.

I got back from my grocery store last week and noticed they started taping security tags to things like the energy drink packs. The food situation seems pretty dire to me.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

BLOOD

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I really wanted to but didn't sell pre-covid because everyone was saying just hold forever so I missed out on that and got so pissed I sold when stocks recovered in June and got owned and will continue to get owned forever holding out for a crash out of spite.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

human garbage bag posted:

is it worth it to buy a small fryer to make french fries at home?

I had a fryer once and it was the most disgusting thing I have ever owned and ended up throwing it away. There was just a constant grease miasma surrounding it.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

samantonio posted:

Every week I come to this thread and I'm assured that the markets are ending next week. And every week "number go up".

My bets are going to start being the opposite of what C-SPAM tells me.

Not saying it won't shoot up again, but the market has been on a decline for the last month and every bounce back up has been lower than the last.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

We're just going to give stealth UBI to everyone but the lower class by pumping assets forever.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Hm that chart looks pretty familiar just can't place it, oh well.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

i am harry posted:

https://twitter.com/amazonnews/status/1374911289902780417
i hope whoever typed this out gets whats loving coming to them

Someone in my non-amazon warehouse was loading a delivery truck once and went to go take a drink of his gatoraid but accidentally grabbed the driver's left-behind piss bottle and took a swig and had to take a trip to the hospital and file an injury report over it lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

A supervisor was giving a guy at my work a hard time about using the bathroom once years ago so he stood there and defiantly pissed his pants in front of them and they sent him home. But we have a union so he just came back the next day lol.