Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Eight-Six posted:

be real with me,

does anyone honestly believe that WSB believes themselves to be fighting for the 99%

seriously

they're hopped up on current events and money, yes

they're hootin' and hollerin' out of their goddamn minds, yes

and yes, there's numerous signs of priming for alt-right thinking and grooming

but when all the trading firms finally close ranks and snuff this out in under a month, WSB will just be the same stock gambling place it was before, if more racist

i feel like anyone who is viewing the billionaires and wall street as the enemy directly because of poo poo like shorting is not a prime candidate for racist radicalization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Agrajag posted:

wait wait wait so ERCOT can easily connect to the rest of the country and provide power to texas right now but dont want to because of federal regs?

if so im gonna lmao even more and also lmao texas eating poo poo

No it runs at a different phase than the rest of the country lol

http://fnetpublic.utk.edu/frequencymap.html

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Accretionist posted:

And if you're worried about Climate Change, the Great Lakes should fare better than most of the US.

Operation: Cheap House could easily be a great idea in the long run.

(Everyone everywhere will be affected. It's just a question of how soon and how hard.)

The UP of michigan will become a vacation hotspot in 30-40 years once the climate starts approaching Florida North. You will have a mostly unpopulated peninsula filled with beautiful nature that is ripe for being turned into beach communities

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

I would be interested to know what kind of orders they are. The factory I work in is still stagnating.

I do wonder if they can unfuck the supply lines or the rising commodity

Automotive is getting hosed by the semiconductor shortage because we are not a priority for that industry and we can't just bully them into releasing more poo poo for us

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I predict global capitalism will collapse on thursday

It will never collapse. We will only see it mutate and change shape

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Bideo James posted:

this movie loving SUCKED

counterpoint, it whipped rear end and was stupid as poo poo in all the right ways

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

“The subject fired at us and officers returned fire. It’s just an unfortunate outcome that she fired on my officers,” Miami-Dade Police Director Alfredo “Freddy” Ramirez said. “It hit their shields.”

Lmao are they serving evictions in full riot gear now?

she had made threats, which i assume amounted to "if you come here im shooting" so instead of just waiting and figuring out another solution, they poked her with a stick and shot her

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

TRUMP

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Chrysler has been complete garbage for longer than anyone on this forum has been alive, it's really impressive.

They were a forward looking innovative brand in the 30s and 40s and it's been all downhill since.

Iacocca had them back in the mix in the 80's briefly. Otherwise the only good brand they have is Jeep.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

fundamentally though its loving wild in general how much more reliable and safe cars are now than 30 years ago, and its always funny to me as someone in automotive to see people bitching about certain things or brands when the americans caught waaay the gently caress up to the rest of the pack over the last few decades. ford laid me off though so gently caress em

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Fords are pricy as gently caress now, all of them

I don't know who can afford that for what is essentially a basic-rear end car.

its extremely smart, as an automaker, to literally not have a introductory vehicle. Literally all of us at ford were losing our poo poo when the announcement was made that ford was leaving the sedan business. The fusion sells (sold) great and was a very popular car, so was the focus before the DPS6 transmission fiasco. young people do not buy 45K cars. You need something cheap and accessible to build a relationship with the driver, because if you succeed there, often people will literally swear by a carmaker for life. ford is so loving stupid its astounding.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

My wife and I have between us, bought 4 new Fords. 3 of them were models that no longer exist, and we're really unlikely to ever end up going back to Ford.

case in point. just stunning stupidity. like if they just narrowed it to the focus and fusion they would have been fine. the Taurus sucked rear end and was ancient, and you could just make the focus handle the fiesta's role as well. Ford also has an absolutely toxic culture that directly contributed to its problems. where i am at now is night and day, and so much less stressful to work at. i work in safety commodity and our biggest frustrations are engineering making decisions that cause a bunch of problems, but are because they are adding features, not doing shady poo poo to remove them.

Sextro posted:

they don’t think there will be any more new customers

good

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

double posting in 2021

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Ford Focuses and Chevy Cruzes (and the recent Dodge Dart, but it was so much worse and I don't want to give it any credit) probably weren't that profitable. People bought them because they were significantly cheaper than an equivalent Civic or Corolla, not because they were better. If GM and Ford can spend their time and effort building things that people are willing to pay very high prices for, they don't have a need for small cars.

You are correct that the sedans are not hugely profitable (though Fusion was). This is true for Toyota as well. But you do have a need for those small cars, as I mentioned before. Young people do not buy those cars and trucks, people in the 40's and up do. They are the groups that have the income to be able to make those purchases. So what Ford is banking on is the ability to convince 45-55 year old people to abandon their prior car brands and switch to them. However Ford does not offer products that are light years better than the competition. The F-150 alone is on a pedestal as an industry leader, everything else they make is either on par with or outclassed by competition. People who bought Corollas and Camrys and liked them when young will then look at Tacomas, Tundras, or a Lexus model when they can afford them, before they look at a Ford vehicle. Brand loyalty is extremely real in automotive, and Ford decided to attempt to buck that trend while being sued for releasing a transmission that barely worked.

this is also magnified by the fact that millennials and gen z are not buying cars for prestige the way that boomers and gen x do. they trend towards seeing cars as a tool that gets them where they need to go, not something worth investing significant disposable income into.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I posted this in the COVID thread but it really belongs here.

https://twitter.com/GlobeIdeas/status/1392143440272625672?s=20

they are not wrong. however the problem is that WFH means your boss just expects you to be "on" for somewhere between 12 hours and always. anyone who actually thinks the commute itself is the good thing can go gently caress themselves. and i LIKE going to the office for the separation it gives me.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Norton posted:

the office sucks poo poo and wfh is better in every possible way.

for me as a single guy I feel very claustrophobic living here and working here all the time, especially with covid meaning that im not not out and about the way i was before. if life returns to normal (lol) i could see enjoying wfh, but i really like having "work woodrow" and "fun woodrow" as defined by when im physically in the office. makes it easier to deal with the corporate speak and nonsense

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

stellers bae posted:

working from home is better in every possible way, especially if you can go into the office for meetings and socials occasionally, but we're not going to do it because some folks hate their kids and can't figure out their wifi routers. awesome!

for the record i decisively agree that no one should have to come in if they do not want to. i just prefer it personally, and that will change once im married or whatever

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, I definitely watched woodstock '94 footage as a kid thinking, I want to go to that someday, without much of a concept of the drugs yet.

Then someone let Fred Durst on stage in '99 and wonderful things happened because everyone was pissed about $4 bottled water, overflowing portashitters and all sorts of poo poo thanks to how it was monetized. It's the only good thing Fred Durst has done. Well, that and playing along with that recycling center rename thing in Austin. The Fred Durst Center for Humanities and Art or something.

I have no real ill will for fred durst, and the woodstock moment loving owned

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I'm legitimately looking forward to getting to the point where I'm in the office one day a week since I have not actually met most of my coworkers. But I think anyone chomping at the bit to go in to the office 5 days a week is insane.

ideally id like to be in the office like tuesday-thursday and wfh on fridays and mondays

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i am harry posted:

all anyone need do is look at the price of candy.
from 1986 until 1989 my pocket money was 50pence a week.
from 1990 until 1997, it was $2 a week.
from 1998 until 2000 it was $7 a week, or $15 twice monthly that I spent at the arcade and you don’t see those anymore do you

okay i digressed but the point is a roll of werthers originals or a snickers bar was 50c back when I was slipping them down my sleeve before hopping on a street car and riding home in the mid 90s and look where we are now; buy one get one free for $1.88, or one for $1.49.

how are you both in your late 30s and also from the 30s

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

Imagine doing austerity now

we wont need to imagine

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

anime was right posted:

lol eviction moratorium running out while megacovid is kicking off and school is starting

september gonna be fuckin lit

lol nothing is going to happen

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Shipon posted:

wasn't toyota supposed to be one of the companies that actually learned to hold back inventory in case of disruptions? because if even their strategy didn't work then lmao

The silicon market is all hosed up and automotive is not a priority for chip manufacturers. I work for an OEM dealing with this stuff and even good stockpiling can't overcome the issues we are having with supply.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

its been pretty funny watching my upper management get flummoxed that the silicon market does not give a gently caress about automotive compared to so many other industries. we tried to swing our dicks around and force them to open up capacity and they just laughed at us and told us to go home and we would get our contracted allotment.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

how would adding air to nitrogen be bad thing do people not know what air mostly is?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Rutibex posted:

thats like adding water to your milk. you know what milk mostly is right?

in this scenario its like adding 2% to whole milk, it would work just fine on cereal

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Nice and hot piss posted:

I shopped at a Costco for the first time ever and my uncle/aunt kind of "forced gifted" me a Costco membership.

It felt like peak capitalism, but members only.

as far as capitalism goes, they pay good wages and give all their employees healthcare. there are significantly worse places to spend your money

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Cabbages and Kings posted:

A lot of the electronics they put in cars are loving stupid consumer poo poo that breaks. I don't really like power windows, either, and that's just a servo on a button.

That said (and I loving hate cars and wish we had nationalized rail :angry: ) at the turn of the 20th century, a consumer car was the Oldsmobile Model R. It had a 2-speed transmission with a 1500cc engine that could produce 5 HP at peak and a top speed of 20 mph. It had band brakes, replaced by drum brakes a few years later. It didn't have anything we'd consider a modern exhaust sysem

A modern 4wd vehicle, let's use the Forester for example, makes 182 hp off a 2.5l engine, and has a 4wd and automatic braking system which are making millions of calculations per second to maintain traction and keep the car on the road. I've driven 4x4s and AWDs with and without fancy modern computer controlled poo poo on the insane dirt roads we have around here, and it is 100% easier to slide out or otherwise gently caress yourself over in an older vehicle. On an emissions front, computer calculations are constantly being used to minimize exhaust. Now, the last part there is probably loving stupid b/c if you wanna help the environment you don't do it by making cars "better", but the point is that some of the poo poo computers do is useful and prevents accidents and this will only become more true. Any car made for the US after 2017 has at least a rudimentary transponder in it which other vehicles can become aware of, and as cars share increasing amounts of data with each other millions of times a second on the road, and driver-assist AI gets better, we're likely to see significant declines in accident rates.

I love 70s cars but I feel scared driving them mostly because the giant rear end non-crumpling metal frames mean you're a lot more hosed if you slide into a tree head on, than if your front end just neatly crumples and soaks up 99% of the inertia, and then your computer-deployed airbag does the rest (and maybe fucks your hearing in the process).

So, there's a place for this poo poo, on the other hand when I looked into a Tesla for the first time and saw the loving dashboard iPad I could not :rolleyes: hard enough

lol I have 20 years experience and I am so deep into front end and test automation thereof land that I'd thought about getting the Argo CI logo branded to my forehead

Working in automotive, the sheer force that my eyes roll when some boomer says that they "dont make cars like they used to" could help solve the energy crisis.

It has also been awesome watching all of the upper management at my job get owned by PCB manufacturers and CPU manufacturers. Yeah guys, saying COMPANY NAME needs 2 million 5-8 year old processors does not actually carry any loving weight lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Is the chip shortage that's impacting cars related to all the infotainment and other superfluous stuff or is it engine control modules and other stuff that actually is needed for modern cars to be able to function like modern cars?

all of the above. automotive dev times do not mesh with modern CPU manufacturing. For example, right now I am sourcing suppliers for a 2024 model year vehicle. the drawings i am using to do this were worked on over the last year or so, even further for body design and stuff. So in 2021, im setting up the process that will go on for almost 4 years before that vehicle is being produced at a factory. The ECUs and other computers in the car are also locked in at similar timings.

So now when there is a chip shortage, the chip manufacturers have no incentive to run poo poo from 2016 for 2021 model year vehicles. Historically for other commodities automotive OEMs can shove their weight around, as for like, steel or resin, they are one of the biggest customers out there. Now the leverage is reversed, since chip producers would much rather be making ps4 components or gtx 3080 GPUs or whatever than making 5+ year old chips. What is happening is the various shortages are piling up causing plant shutdowns and reduced demand, which then is causing volatility in the supply chains which can't be eased by increased supply.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

dead gay comedy forums posted:

the latter

you can dispense the first but there's a lot of modern poo poo that use microelectronics for a lot of things (and they should)

I don't understand jack poo poo of the mechanical engineering involved but to have a contemporary internal combustion engine on automatic gears operate on very high levels of fuel efficiency, stuff like that requires computer bits

edit: lol its worse than I thought going by WoodrowSkillson's clarification, I thought automakers could dispense the superfluous stuff to rework their chip orders for the essentials

we are reworking what we can, but its limited. thankfully i am not in the trenches there, my commodity is safety related and our only shortage is wire harnesses.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

I love that video of an old rear end car impacting a new one and you see 100% of the force of the impact channeled directly to the drivers seat in the old one

how long until companies start contracting with private EMS to bring in scabs do ya think

i work with seat belts, and the amount of newer safety tech in them is awesome. Modern seat belts have things called pretensioners in them, a small explosive like an airbag inflator. when a crash happens, that fires and ratchets the shoulder belt back, to help force the occupant into the best position for the airbag. and then so your ribs don't get broken by that, there is a torsion bar in the retractor that twists at a set kilonewtons of force in order to let the occupant forward into the airbag. they are also starting to release similar ratchet systems for lap belts called crash locking tongues that do a similar thing, again temporarily pulling the occupant into the seat to orient them for the airbags.

also guess what that's computer controlled uh oh lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

let me try to work through it

-- officeperson is told that they are going to work the line because of strike
-- officeperson says "but I do not know how to operate machinery or anything of the craft"
-- upper management tells them "you will be fired if you don't"
-- officeperson thinks this is a very bad idea
-- not having training or experience or anything of the matter, plus increased pressure to fulfill orders, makes errors much more frequent (causing even more problems and delays) and injuries far more likely
-- upper management just pressures further and further, errors and injuries become inevitabilities
-- officeperson thinks this is an entirely poo poo situation and should do something about it

at this point it seems wise to join the strike

management can't be in the union, neither can some other employees. its tough to ask them to sacrifice their jobs when they wont be getting any of the strike fund and whatnot. the whole point should be to hope that this kind of attitude persists and they make life hell for the upper management and support the strike that way

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

If I'm Janice, I agree to work the line because I'll be shitcanned if I don't, and then I'll do zero productive work. maybe break a couple tools due to lack of training, maybe throw out my back or something :shrug:

Janice can't just say no, she's gotta thread the needle

this seems to be what is happening

https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1449027138783436805?s=20

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

drat right

going by the twitter feed posted above it is already happening, people respond with that poo poo. Doing somebody else's work is one of the best ways to understand how someone lives, solidarity is a natural consequence of that

even my conservative dad respects the UAW because he can put 2 + 2 together and understand that the white collar salaries are based off the UAW negotiated pay ranges. literally everyone benefits. and in a functional building, some of the management will be former union and help out exactly like this

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

yeah they are doing parts picking, i think to try and support the most urgent orders, hoping that they can outlast the strike. line managers would know how to get machines started up and do the operations, but that's like 1 person for every 5-10 workers, thats not enough to do anything of value, and good luck training career office workers on FIFO, inspections, lockout tagout, etc etc

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

pigz posted:

My understanding is the combine lines start up in November. Right now it's all about getting parts to people who need them in order to get their harvests done.

yeah, seems a well calculated move to strike right now. the phones are going to be clogged with angry farmers who dont give a poo poo about what kevin makes picking parts and just wants his combine fixed.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Serious question, is the guy who's supposed to fix that electrical box out on strike? Would they normally have to call in an electrician and will this dude need to cross a picket line to get there?

I do not know for Deere, but within automotive, the tooling/capital equipment maintenance people can be salaried by the plant since they not technically line workers and keep odd hours vs the shifts. They are often really well paid too so they might be out of the union as they salary is outside the unions negotiated ranges and whatnot. This can vary from place to place and would depend on the union contract.

for an electrical box though that would have to be a contractor, no plant ive been in had that kind of electrician on standby.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i have seen people who were trained and good at driving forklifts do insane poo poo, i would not want to be anywhere loving near that building right now lol. I used to sequence Jeep grand cherokee floor lids (the cover for the spare) at a small supplier in like 2013. One time i came into work and a forklift operator who was never ID'd had managed to ram a fork like 2 feet into a box of floor lids, putting a hole in like 15 of them, and then the night shift had sequenced them and sent them to JNAP because they were morons. Another guy rolled the fork back like a sardine can by ramming into a support beam at high speed

I shudder to image white collar idiots on equipment. also i miss driving forklifts they were fun

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I have never worked a union job and know pretty much nothing about unions.

Is this actually possible? Like if my boss tells me to crawl out from behind my computer and get on the factory floor then can I just walk over to the picket line and join up and be part of the union? Will I receive any support if I am fired? Why is the IT crowd not in the union? Couldn't the UAW open their definition of what an autoworker is?

I just have so many dumb questions about the whole thing.

Depends on the type of union. Management is almost never in the same union as workers as it's a conflict of interest, and it's often legally prohibited. And then unions will negotiate what positions are union and non union at a place of work. However in many modern workplaces after right to work laws, there could be eligible employees that never joined. If they saw the light and picked up a sign they likely would be welcomed, though I doubt they would get benefits from the strike funds that unions use to supplement worker income during strikes. That's the entire point of paying dues, to fund your negotiating team (and pay lawyers) as well as build a war chest to extend a strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

nobody wants to actually work or put effort into anything anymore because of our overindulgence in finance capital. when investors have so much money they just throw it away on anything then you're a sucker for actually putting in effort to try to gain access to said capital. it's an indicator of a deeper rot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-j5XWo1fPI&t=58s

what is frustrating to me is china only overtook us in production output like 5 years ago. we still make a ton of poo poo and it truly would not be that hard to revitalize many domestic production industries