Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Nuclear War posted:

I swear every third car I see in Norway is a Tesla

This was explained to me that some combo of gas penalties and electric subsidies make them cheaper than most cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Man that drummer from dream theater really took a weird turn

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

oxsnard posted:

chuds are going to rediscover the U6 unemployment rate starting in 3... 2...

Rediscover. They find it when its useful like 2009-2016 but then forget it again when they're in charge

E: you did say rediscover

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Texas report (houston): about half the people i work with are without power and have been since last night. A few have house temps getting close to freezing and are thinking about packing up and finding a hotel.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Agrajag posted:

well thats what you get for being gross chud hogs would be my response

maybe they can bootstrap themselves a working electrical grid and heat

perhaps they should use some of that lone star ingenuity to get by

thats what I told em the bunch of fuckers

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

There has already been a family of 6 taken to the hospital because they ran a charcoal grill indoors

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Cold? No we were just hungry

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

It owns how anything more complicated than A->B cannot be distilled and presented to the public in a way they can understand. Hell even that is too much to ask with covid and climate change. People I work with have already decided unreliable green energy is the culprit and nothing can move them from it.

Chuds here love the deregulated energy market. They beam with pride every year when they have to sift through complicated contracts with diverse risk profiles to pay more for energy anyway. All those options must mean they have the power. Meanwhile the CO poisoning deaths are piling up and the local news is real sad about it and all but it hasnt been this cold in 30 years so can you really expect to be prepared for that - or harvey - or the tax day floods - or the bastrop fire. You know, those once in a lifetime events.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Kroger is real bad, and they just keep doing worse things.

Wholefoods when from bad (ceo called obamacare "equivalent to the holocaust" during an npr interview) to idk probably just as bad under bezos

a lot of east coast stores are heavily unionized, though UFCW tends to be a timid union. used to protest every loving non-union grocery store 24-7 and now they dont probably a combination of management capture and anti union laws

The whole foods near us had a bar and was within walking distance so let's say I spent some time there. The biggest thing I noticed is that shipping went to some just in time thing and the employees got put on rounds where they had to go check sections and scan a dongle so they couldent just bullshit with you between pouring beers. It really sucked for them and turnover went up tremendously. The shareholder value must be tremendous and we stopped going there.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

The washer/dryer we had as a kid lasted about 25 years and the fridge we had is out in a sweltering garage keeping beer cold for over 30

Meanwhile I've been through about 3 of each since adulthood

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Lmao the economy is constipated

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Take it from me the best way to get through this is a hot bath and about 80 million gallons of miralax

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

And people said cars were not investments

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Well you see cryptocurrency uses a distributed ledger to get around the state control of currency. Its a first step to moving away from government control. Yeah it owns, look at how many dollars you can get for one.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

TACD posted:

i find myself unable to articulate to people how completely loving bananas everything has gotten and i don’t know if it’s because I’m too dumb to understand or not dumb enough

Its like holding an object in complete balance by putting 100,000 lbs of force on both ends

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

1stGear posted:

Where does that fit in the "sell when the shoeshine boy is talking about it" metric

In an apocryphal story, Joe Kennedy III was asked how he knew to cash out millions in advance of the great crash of 2022. 'Well, when your doordasher is giving you crypto strategies its time to sell."

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

gonna buy a bunch of frito lay in anticipation of the algos taking off on 'chip shortage'

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Dairy Queen used to be good for u kno what

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Get soft serve ice cream?

If thats what you want to call it

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Someone get me that CEO I have a proposition

dodgecoin

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

the collapse in this country is going to be so awful

https://twitter.com/koush/status/1393574301035425795?s=20

We won't really be there until this goes from cosplay opportunity to practical necessity

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I'm a utilitarian suffering minimizer even the best life is worse than no life

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Broken Box posted:

sell your fartbucks and boobacoin and invest in numberwang

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

huge swaths of canadian tundra will become swamp soon

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

No 10 year old kids acts like that naturally, they are doing whatever their parents coached them to do. And like all the tween conservative superstars she will regret the whole thing when she is old enough. Unless the grift works and $ i suppose.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I wonder how economical those rigs that run off wellhead gas are.

Companies would pay you to take the gas at the wellhead but you would have to scrub most of it. Would probably make more sense to tie it to a local hub with short pipelines but that would be an investment.

There is enough energy generation in Texas and few enough rules that im sure there are some angles to find.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

They dont have arbitration agreements in leases and mortgages now?

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Is the argument here that automation isn't impacting people or something? My job, that I will soon be walking away from, is to automate away an entire industry and we are not doing it to replace humans with robots we are doing it to replace a college educated human with one that maybe graduated high-school.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

that owns though?

We are going to fire people with decent jobs and exchange them for desperate people that have to accept poo poo pay and working conditions, while pocketing the difference

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Chuds in Texas loving love that poo poo too and will sing its praises at any opportunity. None of 2021 has changed that.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

The people putting 100k down are the mid fifty year olds who have been building equity for 30 years and decided to move

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

When the banks own all the rental properties they can jack up poo poo like mortgage insurance and other fees to make first time home buying more out of reach while raising rent to compensate cause what ya gonna do

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

pnumoman posted:

Arguing about who's supposed to go in the guillotines sounds like we have an awfully long long long way to go

Just start at the top. Well know when enough is enough

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

"Why won't somebody do something" says leader of government

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I just thought of a human centipede reboot called bloke chain

Also,

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Here this makes you want to stop smoking for a bit

What is it?

Its a cigarette

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

oh my god its inflation and not the good kind in securities its the worst kind in wages

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

The_Franz posted:

e2: the american trucking industry in general is notorious for setting safety standards and then setting timetables that basically force drivers to ignore them if they want to keep their jobs

This is a good example of how a lot of lovely behavior propagates. I work with foreign govt contracts a lot and the local business units are put under metrics and timeliness that make bribery and corruption mandatory if they want to meet them. It gets what upper management wants but creates enough plausible deniability that when someone runs afoul of fcpa the guys on the ground get hosed.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Ok help me out here. In my naive mind inflation is driven a few ways

1. More money chasing the same number of goods
2. The same money chasing fewer goods
3. Some combination of the above or relative movement

So in our current situation we have had massive supply chain disruptions and layoffs followed by some degree of rebound. Im assuming if you looked at manufacturing numbers you would see fewer goods overall reaching consumer hands but probably something like higher inventories on unfinished goods due to all the supply chain fuckery.

From this razor thin analysis I would say that price increases are largely driven by (2). The supply of goods has decreased relative to demand and prices have spiked.

On the other hand wages appear to actually be increasing, at least for those that can get it and in certain sectors. Something like 15+ million people were instantly fired in 2020. Now that hiring is occurring you have some people that left the workforce, some that died or were disabled by covid, and some dynamics related to hiring and time that are too long to get into here. Basically labor supply chain fuckery, to remove the human misery from it. However im guessing Americans in aggregate don't have more spending money than they did before the pandemic.

The key thing here is both of these are transitory and are related to the impulse shocks of covid. Its smacking a coupled pendulum real hard, it takes a while to settle out and the motion is complicated.

So overall its like a reduction in aggregate demand, but with more severe supply disruptions that overcompensate. Since we have little competition in many sectors, prices are quick to rise.

Any money that the federal government throws at this is going to increase the divide to some degree but the fundamental problem still remains that the supply of goods can't recover as fast as demand and thats due to two corporate pathologies in a head on collision with covid: supply chain "optimization" and layoffs-first-ask-questions later.

The serious economists are focusing on rising wages and government stimulus though. Their solution is to further reduce demand by taking money out of peoples hands. Im willing to bet this is exactly why student loan repayment is a thing - its a quick way to pull money out of the system. Profits go up and people suffer - same as it ever was.

Is this correct at all or just insane ravings? I'm trying to piece it all together myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Yeah it turns out owning an asston of houses with different floor plans material needs kind of destroys the one corporate strategy we have of standardization and throwing supply chain weight around