Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
There's a goon-run custom EQ server that's really well done. Shards of Dayala

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

KirbyKhan posted:

Trader Joe's is my go-to for white people food, like multi-syllabic cheeses, fruit jams, vegitable preserves, and human grade dog treats.

When it comes to grocery, the korean H Mart has been my gold standard. They got a lil old lady at the front who puts gloves on your hand when you enter the store. High quality experience.

What single syllable cheese is there except for chevre I guess?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Dabo

DABO

DABO

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mr. Pizza posted:

won't these homeowners whose houses have doubled in value be seeing higher property taxes once they get reassessed?

;efb

Yeah I get a letter from the city saying my new appraisal and change in property taxes every year.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Source4Leko posted:

The change is always you pay more right? I'm thrilled when I only owe 5% more year to year.

Yeah I bought 4 years ago so it's always been up up up.

It's all wrapped up in my escrow that I pay into every month so I don't really pay attention to it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I was wrong; the stimulus wasn't targeted enough.

I am kidding but goddamnit modernity is so loving stupid.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol.

Yeah let's pretend the transaction record on the blockchain doesn't exist.

It's not even that. Very little of the transaction volume happens on the blockchain. It's almost entirely just trades done on CoinBase or whatever that is tracked using their internal ledgers.

CoinBase wants to be legit so they will absolutely record and report your transactions if the IRS decides to sniff around.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Got my stimmy this morning :stoked:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Rime posted:

If this weren't a rental property with innocent tenants inside I'd advocate doing real gnarly fuckin' burnouts as you drive through his lawn, every time your easement is blockaded. Just trench that fucker like you're in a monster truck cage match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLFtkQCsfjA&t=21s

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

skaboomizzy posted:

never buy anywhere with a HOA

petty tyrants

I still don't understand what legal authority an HoA has to enforce anything.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
There's so much good food in Toronto, i miss it.

https://www.banhmiboys.com/

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Navy food is the best out of all the branches though.

Also, the air force does a bunch of science stuff in collaboration with NASA. Not that all branches aren’t horrible, but the Navy dick-sucking post made it sound like the AF only bombs brown people, when that’s only 80% of what they do.

The AF also aggressively proselytizes evangelism internally. then again, giant anime swords.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Mods, please rename me to Harriet TubCoin

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Love to just passively use the same framing as "job creator" rather than the reality of "labor consumer".

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lord of Pie posted:

Yeah, my work had the lease on their office space end in the middle of covid and they went ahead and re-upped it for like 10 more years and have already been eager to get us crammed back 2 to a cube before anybody had even their first jab

I started my yearly performance review self assessment with a statement to the effect that I demonstrated the discipline and maturity to effectively work from home over the quarantine and intend on continuing that in perpetuity.

I think if they demanded I come back I would give notice.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Shear Modulus posted:

the american model is that you sell your house to fund your end of life medical care and/or assisted living facility

This is the plan, but more of a Leaving Las Vegas situation but more fun rather than assisted living.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Fame Douglas posted:

I'd say a movie released in 2010 is a "new movie". Anything after 2000, at least.

My wife is a professor of silent cinema and I like to troll her by referring to movies from the 90s as old. I am mostly sincere though; there is a certain feel to movies before the 2000s that can be very off-putting.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cold on a Cob posted:

my friend has a cat that plays fetch it's pretty cute

My guy does this :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH7fSInEq70

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

Did the loving Fed chair just tell us to ask the CIA if we want to know the real reason why anything happens in regards to economic policy

Secret plan to fight inflation

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I TOLD YOU WE'RE SELLING WABISTICS!

*smashes a coffee pot into head*

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I have my doubts, but silicone has been used in kitchen poo poo for a generation, so it's probably fine.

Silicone is standard issue for pharmaceutical tubing and other drug-contact products. It's fine.

I design biopharma packaging AMA.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
My 2012 Elantra has been solid. Only non-routine input costs was an ignition coil once.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i already know people living in salem/wakefield/peabody and commuting to boston. telecommuting these days, but they were commuting-commuting. this poo poo is bananas. it's actually kind of ironic; suburbanization has long been a goal of capital, since mortgages on single family homes increase buy-in to the system (by giving people asset ownership) and a steady income stream for banks. home ownership is a strong predictor of more right-wing voting patterns. the endlessly escalating cost of housing actually poses kind of a threat to this project, because it makes that "dream" unfeasible and results in professionals having to rent, which tends to give them silly ideas about land reform and rent control and redistributive taxation and so on. given all that, you'd think that large employers would be all-in on remote work since it takes the pressure off; eliminates one big expense (building rent) and also creates a stable political constituency that will vote in favor of the current system.

but nope, lots of employers are so addicted to being able to make their employees sign birthday cards that they're going to gently caress this up for themselves. as usual, labor cannot dream of undermining capital as efficiently as capital undermines itself.

anecdotally, i currently live in an apartment building that is mostly occupied by exchange students. the building has been emptying out for a while. my landlord has known for months i'll be leaving at the end of this month and has in that time scheduled 4 viewings, two of which were cancelled. in one of the ones that did happen, i heard the rental agent quote to the prospective tenant a monthly rate that is almost 10% less than i'm currently paying.

For a summer job I lived with my folks in Wakefield, carpooled into Boston, and took the train to Attleboro. Add on the 1.5mile walk from the train station and it was almost 3 hours door to door.

Never again. I have a hard 30min commute limit that I won't compromise on.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Vox Nihili posted:

Any city that blows half a million bowing and scraping for Amazon deserves to eat the loss IMO

We need to pitch PUA tactics to cities trying to court new techbro headquarters. Neg those bitches, practice Keno or whatever. Peacock by doing cool brutalist architecture.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

me in Minneapolis with the xfinity monopoly, I have one tier above whatever their standard is

Get on that USI fiber my dude. 200 up down for 50bux a month.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

I thought Lisbon was a pretty cool city, all the street art owns and there was this place that served nothing but port

The tile museum there was cool as hell. The cherry liquor was vile though.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm really enjoying the Broken Earth series by NK Jemison

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Justin Tyme posted:

Every time I need to buy toothpaste or soap or something it makes me more and more agitated for a command economy. The worst example was buying a package of blue cheese at the front of the store, then at the back of the store seeing a package that's like half an oz less (still plenty for what I needed) and cheaper, despite being the same drat brand!

So much effort and resources are wasted on all this bullshit to give an illusion of choice. Just give me one drat type of toothpaste made at the national toothpaste factory where federally employed toothpaste engineers develop the best toothpaste modern science can make instead of this bullshit fifty different brand nonsense wasting energy and resource for nothing

I've been saying this for a while except with shampoo and razor blades. I want that "nightmare" Cuban grocery store where is whole aisles of one brand of thing on the shelves.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

mistermojo posted:

does this mean if no one's using power, they'd pay you to?

No, its deviation from a baseline.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

silicone thrills posted:

The key is to automate your job as much as possible and then never tell anyone you did it both giving yourself more free time and not allowing management to pile any more work on you (or to fire you if they figure out they can do with out you)

also lmao I can't not think about this scene through this whole comical argument happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkFAcFtBD48

Also don't comment your arcane Excel VBA macros so only you know how to use the automation.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Petey posted:

on the plus side, the romans figured out how to do cool stuff with concrete

on the negative side, they loved drinking out of lead pipes, so much that the word "plumbing" comes from the latin word for lead

this is why the elemental notation for lead is Pb. :)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Gorson posted:

Thanks needed the laugh. The whole post (minus constituents) could also be applied to management and c-suite.

That's exactly what struck me as unrealistic about it. JIT might work if you produce everything yourself and therefore have some control over shortages because they wouldn't be affected by changes in international trade. Some of the many factors that can really gently caress up JIT:

1. regional instability due to foreign policy mistakes
2. pandemics
3. trade policies (embargos, tariffs)
4. other countries deciding they don't want to be our slave labor and demanding higher pay, halting production

I work in the biopharma industry and we make our own products but integrate them with dozens of components to create the saleable assemblies. We are getting quotes with 50 week lead times all over the place now and 80% of my job is explaining to sales how there's basically nothing we can do about it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Rip Testes posted:

I feel completely dehumanized when it comes to anything Agile, JIRA, scrum, etc.

Love to write SMART goals for the year that are completely meaningless in a matter of weeks

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

yeah why wouldn't you steal IP. copyright and patent laws are tools of corporate and imperial control; there is zero reason to respect them if you can get away with it

I remember my boss once demanded we design our own specific geometry for something when industry standards exist because "how would you feel if someone stole your design?"

She was not pleased when I shrugged and said "flattered?"

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Why the hell is work considered social life? Clubs exist, sheesh.

In theory socializing with coworkers is good and a necessary component of building class consciousness. But it doesn't really work when bitching about work is always couched as pointless venting without any prospect of improvement and discussion of pay is taboo.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Fellatio del Toro posted:

just got one of the worst ads ive ever seen on facebook

jesus christ this is the dumbest timeline

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Palladium posted:

My record was 1 hr, I think

That's pretty good, I've definitely done zero hour days but prob not a sub 5 hour week all told.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

lol

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

comedyblissoption posted:

you cannot use any of these as a general use currency right now. ethereum and bitcoin specifically have technical limitations that prohibit this.

theyre just ponzi schemes or crime facilitators at the moment

You can if you do transfers off-chain and just transfer funds between coinbase accounts. Thus completely defeating the entire purpose and principle of the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Paradoxish posted:

There's no real way to "dump" the value of bitcoin into the economy.

It's not possible for every bitcoin to be sold at its current value or anywhere near its current value. Most of bitcoin's value doesn't really exist and can't really exist except on paper. If people start cashing out, then it becomes a vacuum that transfers insane amounts of wealth from relatively poor people to a bunch of rich scammers.

The "poo poo gets weird" scenario is the one where bitcoin suddenly becomes as spendable as real cash.

I'm not sure thats the point though. If people are treating their crypo holdings at their current market value, they will feel rich and be willing to spend their actual money more freely. This whole thing can absolutely function like a sort of cash infusion into the economy even though it very much is not one.