Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
use the cash infusion to make gamestop into a postal bank like that dude in 2014 with his buy/return cartridge strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
so annoyed i have to work for a living in 12+ hour days during my busy season when if i had simply been scrolling the forums yesterday i would have made several months salary today

never work, only post

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

turd in my singlet posted:

once the fervor dies down a bit i wonder if this big crowd of online dorks who are disillusioned with the system and just discovered mass action will be more open to leftist ideas

who has an established WSB account and wants to start pushing unions? lol

idk man i said this elsewhere but i think the lesson of this day is "we can gently caress up finance capital with well-targeted street-level capital" and that is not going to lead to Leftism

if the big powers come down and limit this kind of behavior that might radicalize people into left or right populism but it remains to be seen which side of the knife it falls on

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

rh has been verifying my account for two days i'm going to sue them for preventing me from having a good time

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

i don't remember who posted it and i am but the simplest of posters but this does indeed feel like the hedge funds are doubling down betting that the retail crowd will fail and if they don't they (the hedge funds) will get a bailout from biden

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

absoluteluy insane

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

i say swears online posted:

frankly don't think you need the qualifiers at the beginning there. it's rational to be mad

yeah i didn't even have any money in the game and i'm still mad that it was just this blatant

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

seeing a lot of "this dip is engineered by the shortholders buying/selling borrowed stock at deflated prices to engineer a selloff" is that real or cope

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

if you have people who need the whole thing explained i think cory's thread was good: https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1354848494192738304

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

https://isthesqueezesquoze.com/

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/drilbot_neo/status/1354697824747839489

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

guess it’s hard to read the room if you cant see over anyones head

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

dew worm posted:

you know shits weird when I’m starting to like the bar stool dude

turn left cspam noo

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

robinhood ceo live on cnbc: https://planetnews.com/live/stock-update.html?mepr-unauth-page=40&redirect_to=%2Famerican%2Fcnbc-america.html

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

andrew ross sorkin is not exactly asking the hardest questions here and he's eating tenev alive

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Jiro posted:

His rear end is so fired, in a month you're gonna have a balding boomer "experienced" in all things Wall Street fielding questions.

lol you think there will still be robin hood in a month

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

"we want to allow buying safely for the firm"

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

galenanorth posted:

He's a Republican. Interesting.

he's one of the arizona republican reps who was (allegedly) in direct contact with the capitol mob directing them where to go to try to kidnap reps, sooooooooo

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

is chapo worth listening to (sorry felix)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

i have been working all day allowing my surplus value to be expropriated by my employer like a fool and a dunce, can someone please give me a crumb of tl;dr for what's happened today like a good comrade

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

thx for the updates fellas

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Hello Petey are you happy Tom made it to the Super Bowl again?

yes. and i want him to win, and then go to another team, and win with them, and then another team, and win with them, until he has helped every team win a trophy. tom for all

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

some guy got mad at me because i was happy to see belichik eat poo poo while brady didnt

guess what? he's wrong

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Agrajag posted:

they can try and crater GME AMC and BB all they want i am not budging

i think the r/wsb paraphrase of keynes is "we can remain stupid for longer than they can remain solvent"

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

every once in awhile i just look at this post in awe https://old.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/d1g7x0/hey_burry_thanks_a_lot_for_jacking_up_my_cost/

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

pigz posted:

Yes absolutely stock was around 360 for more than long enough for new shorts to enter, but the question is how long are they prepared to stay. It seemed pretty clear to me today if they uncapped rh the stock could pop another hundred bucks today. If your a short on Monday and all these people held over the weekend... idk that would be scary for me. I am shocked they've held through close.

they did not account in their models for how dumb redditors are

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

actionjackson posted:

so the first line shows he bought 50K shares at ~15/share so he spent like 750k?

and the second line - is that an option? can someone explain tyia

here's his original position a year ago https://old.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/d1g7x0/hey_burry_thanks_a_lot_for_jacking_up_my_cost/

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

i just accidentally read the wsj thing on dfv and he's my gf's neighbor what the gently caress

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Quetzadilla posted:

yeah they're offloading 600m in debt as shares which is giving them solvency for the near future despite covid lmao

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...debt-2021-01-28

good news for them because uhhhh with the novavax south african variant trial (tl;dr: having had/survived the "original" coronavirus provides no protection to catching the SA variant, which is also vaccine-resistant and more transmissable) we're not going to back to the movies for awhile~~

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

low key sex master posted:

I thought I read the SA variant wasn't vaccine resistant

Novavax is the only company to run a trial there. Vaccine had 60% efficacy in the non-HIV population against variant compared to 90% against non-SA variant. pfizer/moderna only tested in lab setting.

60% is still better than nothing but it's like "you might not get the flu" vs "okay you're almost certainly not gonna get measles" as vaccines go

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

late but: as i said in a post this is a laboratory study run against an engineered mimic of the SA variant (that does not have all mutations) and not the real thing. and the novavax vaccine — only one we've tested in the field — is also still "effective" it's just not 90% it's 60%. plus the fact that the SA variant is completely unaffected by antibodies/immune response generated by prior infection with other forms of coronavirus. and it's 93% of cases being studied in SA right now.

like based on what we know now it's effectively a brand new disease, but appears much more transmissable *and* possibly more deadly. the good news is that we have NPIs (masking, distancing, proning) from "normie" covid-19, we have some treatments that might be effective, and the vaccines *might* still be strong enough to keep people from dying and to slowly cut down on spread if we get them out quick. but this is why all the companies are now scrambling to manufacture booster shots to be delivered to the whole world in 2022

i mean i am but a simple poster but you can read the novavax slide deck for yourself here: https://t.co/JWks8VXOG0?amp=1

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

also this week has taught me how just i have no money instincts in a way that years of general wage stagnation has not because my coworker messaged me yesterday and said "hey thanks for enrolling in the novavax trial"

me: "oh yeah sure, i mean, tbh i mostly did it to have a chance at getting the vaccine early, but also happy to help advance science or whatever"

coworker: "no you moron, i mean, when you posted in slack that you'd enrolled last week, i thought 'hmm, petey's cautious and smart, he must have done his research before enrolling, i'm going to go buy a ton of novavax stock', and now that their UK phase 3 is out they're up 70% this week"

like i did indeed do like a solid week of research on the vaccine development before enrolling, read every preliminary study i could find, listened to podcasts of third party scientists discussing their approach, talked to md/phd friends about their design, universally heard that it should be a safe and very effective vaccine, and bet my own personal health on that but no money, not even the $300 they paid me day-of to get the shot

loving wage-pilled

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

so you're saying that vaccine companies are only going to keep growing

as i just posted i am clearly a moron from whom no one should take financial advice. but based on all of the health and vaccine policy networks i've plugged into, yeah, the sense is that any vaccination effort is going to require not just vaccinating the world, but then doing it again 2-3x with booster shots for new escape variants.* plus whatever non-vaccine pharmaceuticals can be used to treat it.

caveat that maybe we'll just get bored and tired and get to a sort of "flu, but worse, but not overwhelming hospitals" level of letting people die and things will stagnate from there

but i'm told that our residential life staff is quietly planning for not "normal" campus operations until 2024.

* if you want something speculative, there's some very interesting research out there that the standard MMR-II vaccine has protective effects against severe covid: https://mbio.asm.org/content/11/6/e02628-20. enough that there are some people saying "okay, well, let's just loving give everyone in the world an MMR-II booster." that's merck, i think, and they're actually down right now because their covid-specific vaccine failed. so i might put some money on them, idk.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

uncop posted:

BTW this meme stock thing made me consider Elon Musk a genius, like he deserves to be the face of this 21st century postmodern capitalism where tangible stuff doesn't matter while popular impressions and sentiments are everything. This isn't even finance capitalism anymore, finance capitalism was supposed to be about connecting nominally competing companies into monopolies and embedding yourself to leech off of industrial value chains. This stuff doesn't even pretend to be based on anything tangible anymore. Bitcoin wasn't an anomaly, it was a sign of the times to come.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

try more magnesium posted:

i agree with Petey 100%

thanks, forums poster try more magnesium. i hope you have a nice day

Petey has issued a correction as of 15:28 on Jan 30, 2021

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Slippery Nipple posted:

i will short god

and walk backwards into hell

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

i mean as i've been posting in this thread we know this from the novavax trials

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

my hope is that this leads to an internet meme stock index fund that we can invest in.

i would like people to invest, in my posting

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

came here to post this; it's pretty exciting and somewhat out of the blue. regeneron got a bad rap for a goofy name and being associated with trump, but they're a Serious Biotech Company and this could be really significant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

soup. posted:

When I posted it there the COVID thread basically told me they'd gently caress my mother in her rear end as punishment for birthing such a filthy liar so they may be privy to additional information of which I have not been apprised. Beware.

covid thread where? i didn't see it in the d&d one. it was just covered on twiv earlier today.