Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
lol musk is going to be the richest man in the world because of reddit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

dead gay comedy forums posted:

given the psychosocial factors around market valuation of the last two years, why not

investing in stocks for the sake of "I AM ALWAYS RIGHT" and "because it is going to own the people I don't like" is a far better take on human behavior than most economic and financial thinking

yeah I guess, it's been obvious for a while but the particular fashion in which it manifests is just hilarious. Musk and Bitcoin, the cultural zeitgeist of redditism, move mountains.

Meme wars are real.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
I really need to get more drugs with all this free money I got out of this ridiculous bitcoin spike.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
i still dont have my 600/1200 and i got the first stimulus last year on time, where is my loving money? Where is my 2000?

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Slow News Day posted:

this but unironically. this is just a super tedious and annoying thing to argue over.

gently caress you i want my money, all of it, not some of it dipshit

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
A coworker of mine at my minimum wage hotel gig just put in his 2 weeks to concentrate on school full time because he just made 80k off of selling gamestop shares. Apparently he had been scoping gamestop for a long time on the theory that their share price always jumps around console releases and he figured people would traditionally try and short them with the expectation that gamestop was dying. He had quite a lot to say about his investment research and strategy which is more than I would guess from a typical wallstreetbets guy but he still just got insanely and stupidly lucky.

So basically if this dipshit can just walk away with tens of thousands in free money for betting big on gamestop this poo poo's hosed right?

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
he said he had originally paid 5k for his shares quite a while ago. He talked quite a lot about share prices but lol if im paying attention to that. He also still has 100 shares or so he's holding onto.

edit: 5k still seems like way too goddamned much money to be gambling for a guy making minimum wage but I guess if your family floats you money is whatever. Literally every white guy under 25 at my job plays with money like this, they all talk about bitcoins and stocks. They talk about golf. I may have accidently wondered into a young republican convention.

GoLambo has issued a correction as of 04:04 on Jan 25, 2021

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
If I'm recalling what he said he didn't even do any options trading, though he thought about it, he just bought the shares when they where 8 dollars and then sold at the right time.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
https://thenextrecession.wordpress.com/2021/01/28/stop-the-game-i-want-to-get-off/

Micheal Roberts weighs in

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
i still really need that 2000 to 1400 dollar stimulus. where is my money?

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Crusader posted:

lol, from sunday night

I'll probably see him tomorrow morning so that's going to be a fun conversarion.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
lmao just go to your workplace and refuse to work, chastise/punish/"coerce" anyone who dare's not to comply with your new labor militancy. hold a general strike. seize loving power chirst

whats with all these loving dumb theroies about how we have to reimagine my loving rear end or boo hooing about how we need some new model to combat capital.

just strike and take their loving balls away good god

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
the fbi spent a billion loving dollars to invent 10mm and then .40 S&W only to eventually just got back to 9mm like anyone reasonable

they are not monitoring this forum, they forgot

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

cumshitter posted:

like hand hill tells an elderly homeless man with legit mental problems "but youve been begging there for years its not fair that someone stole your corner" and i cant tell if thats poo poo liberalism or the darkest, funniest satire ive ever heard

liberals incorporate dark ironic satire into their worldview so yes

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

puve posted:

When you have been doing something for a while you have payed your dues and that comes with certain privileges

Unless management decides that's not true anyway.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Rutibex posted:

you can go on strike and not contribute from home. if your going to the trouble of going to your work place you should be stealing/sabotaging things.

the point of going to work is to stop anyone from scabbing, to force a shutdown or lockout

but i mean if i can get away with just not going to work thats fine, whatever works

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
drat I really need that minimum wage increase and my loving checks. It's nearly march. Where is my loving money?

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Gorson posted:

Had to talk to HR today so not having a great day, I take it back.

I rented for 20 years barely making rent for most of it, so I've lived in some awful places. You have to document everything or they will take advantage of it. Take pictures of everything, get receipts, do everything you can to hold them accountable without putting yourself at risk of eviction. If you're in a bad spot you do what you have to do, but anybody with a phone with a camera has an extremely powerful anti-landlord tool. I have had to fight for every single security deposit back.

a gun is an extremely powerful anti-landlord tool. this "you just gotta take on more personal responsibility and do your due diligence for record keeping poo poo" is not actually advice, its an excuse. it's poo poo. gently caress you. everybody already knows this and its not enough, we're too worn down and just trying to scrape by. you want me to pick up yet another job detailing my already slapdash rental arrangement? I keep records but im under zero illusion they will ever actually be useful for anything but keeping my wife happy. this poo poo does not matter, you have to get lucky not to get hosed. the cops do not care, the courts dont care, no lawyer is going to give a poo poo because i dont have money. I don't give a poo poo if my landlord pays taxes or not because the entire legal apparatus is on their side already. some people gamble that their extra precautions will mean something someday and when it does they get a nice little hit of conformation bias and they get to tell everyone else how to take care of themselves.

I have never won a landlord dispute with records no matter how solid they were. next day lockout cops dont give a poo poo. they can ignore me, I am an ant to them

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

oxsnard posted:

the maddening thing about mississippi is that if the black population was mobilized effectively they could turn the state around in no time, which is why voter suppression is so important

Jackson has one of the best mayors in the country

sounds like they ought to consider more drastic solutions

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

oxsnard posted:

yeah mmt is probably the only way to get to a somewhat reasonable future without violent revolution and/or the collapse of society

well don't go ruling out that violent revolution just yet

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

god shes so loving dumb

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
The constant assumptions here that the american state will suddenly do a 180 and regain coherency or control in any loving direction are ludicrous to me.

The empire is collapsing largely because it couldn't be bothered to maintain itself anymore because the state has no guiding principle beyond vampire capitalism or petty cultural divide. Civil liberties aren't going to be meaningfully curtailed because nobody in power is going to bother to do it. America isn't going to enter a new cold war because the actual interest on ramping that up is entirely signalling driven, the second markets balk at trade disruption caused by hostilities the american political body, regardless of how fractured it is, is going to jump at any kind of "return to normal" appeasement strategy. We are going to be led around by a carrot into whatever new political landscape emerges, one likely decided by china and international constraints on capital (and climate change).

It's going to be a collapse all right, but a really boring and stupid one. The few operational American carriers will sail off to to the Philippines one day in a pathetic copy of the British Falklands war, do a mediocre but serviceable job as the political situation there is eventually is resolved by other means. We will declare victory, pretend the empire still belongs to us, and promptly disappear from international relevance shortly after that almost without realizing it as every major firm in america is majority Chinese owned.

I'm not saying there aren't going to be wars or climate megadeaths. I'm just saying that our part in all this is going to be as stupid and indecisive as all american neoliberal politics. A graveyard of non accomplishment, failure, and refusal to learn anything.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

the US does not have the political control over their own economy to be able to maneuver the decline that they otherwise know is coming

That is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Plenty of radical change is possible in America, but absolutely not in the hands of these dipshits. They're just along for the ride at this rate.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Xaris posted:

i agree with all that, but i don't think anyone was saying that? unless there's some lib i missed.

e: i don;'t agree that civil liberties wont be curtailed, i mean they already have been for the past 60-something years and constantly increasing. i guess it depends onw hat you define as "majorly" but they absolutely are. Libs are also gunna repeal section 230 and have been clamoring for it as soon as sleepyjoe was instated. also i don't quite think all corps are gunna be china owned, that would be too good to be allowed to happen, but largely a nebulous multi-national elites still running most of them (of which some will be from china)

tired posting fever dream from reading this thread over pages and probably other ones and mixing up threads or all your usernames maybe whatever, it seems like a common enough conversational thread. idk why this section 230 thing actually matters (and I know what it is) or what major civil liberties people imagine they had and would suddenly be losing, but most of this movement sounds like semantics poo poo that hasn't amounted to much and I don't know why that would suddenly start mattering. Why the gently caress would the tech giants kill their golden goose, and if they did wouldn't market pressures release valve that poo poo as soon as possible to unfuck capital flows? All the doomsaying about new internet restrictions have amounted to nothing for as long as they've been culturally clogging up my demographics political awareness. Our civil liberties were already exempted by the patriot act and that kind of quasi legal standing is all this or any future american government is going to need to gently caress around on the edges where it wants to. Nobody is legislating youtube away with google in the position its in now, and they don't need to. We have no idea what the political landscape a decade from now is going to look like except that it's going to be built off all this dull bullshit. If America ends up in a fascist hellscape sure whatever but to me it looks like it will be the kind that's already culturally palpable to wealthy liberals and not some kind of hard right police state boogieman. It will be a clean fascism where everything is mostly the same, except money matters even more than it already does which isn't that different from the status quo. This mostly is that hell though, and we're already here living in it. The system already makes exceptions for those with money and brutalizes those without. The degree to which people are immiserated might change but not a single law has to move for that to be the case, just the money.

As for China, Capital is already transnational, and I don't see any real degree of state wide protectionism emerging anytime soon because it would just shock and destabilize an already fragile system and, you know, gently caress with the money. So if China becomes the consumer goods tech hegemon it's looking poised to be it seems likely that capital will just reorient around that and then use it's money-political force and then move the american governments hand to go along with it like it has basically always done. Because it's all about the money and that's all it amounts to, which is why everything stays the same around us while the foundation rots away. You will need a mass ideological awakening, brought upon by disaster or whatever means, to move culture around enough to even create a counteracting political force in this country. I do think that's likely eventually, but have no idea what shape it will take, and I think it's kind of silly to think that any part of the american political apparatus is ready to actually do anything at all in the near future except slap tape on every leak it can.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Happy Underpants posted:

Peter Chung animated and designed characters for Rugrats and went on to do Aeon Flux partly driven by how boring it is to animate babies. That's neat.

I guess art really does come from suffering

we've got something to look forward to, I guess

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
if you're a home owner in america now you might as well be landed gentry to some degree.

at a bare minimum a struggle session needs to be held to hold you to account for your inherent counterrevolutionary sentiment.

i am not joking when i say that trying to escape the collective suffering of being a renter through private property accusation is lib poo poo and should be treated as such.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

TACD posted:

homeowning has all the stress and expense of paying for maintenance, repairs, and improvements yourself. it forces you to grapple with the desire to maybe have an accent wall or new carpet or guttering that does not leak. extremely decadent

renting has the zen of maintenance and repairs being somebody else’s responsibility as well as being an effective safeguard against the desire to improve one’s home. your zen is further enhanced by the knowledge that your landlord will never fulfil their responsibility to maintain your home; don’t fall victim to stress about having no hot water, but instead find peace and acceptance of your new identity as somebody who boils a kettle to wash the dishes

you have too much money and it's turned you into a right wing dipshit, mr harrison bergeron

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
this slapfight is entirely between high wage laborers and the petite bourgeois because the for the vast, vast majority of ameicans under 45 renting is their only option and will be until the revolution.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Home ownership rates for people under 45 are definitely a lot higher than you believe, particularly in the 35-45 "Gen X Junior" cohort.

there is still a lot of residual family wealth out there, inheriting property is still a thing, and plenty of those americans still have relatively high wage jobs as a total percentage of the working population yeah. but they are an ever shrinking segment of the total population.

and they all need a good struggle session

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
like you are describing the social class of D&D poster. that's who that segment of the population is.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

StealthArcher posted:

I cant wait until someone in this thread unironically says something along the lines of

"The revolution would eventually end the collective suffering of the underclass and thus is lib poo poo. The revolution is counterrevolutionary."

home ownership isnt revolutionary what the hell. home ownership as a commodity is half the reason for this mess.

just give me public housing christ.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Mirthless posted:

if you only make $25,000, have you considered finding a better job?

look, I'm gonna do it, i'm gonna do the shithead conservative thing:

if I, an autistic person with a severe emotional impairment who dropped out of high school could pull myself up by my bootstraps and build a career, you can do it too buddy

nobody has to work at a pizza place until they're 80, that is a choice. maybe it's a choice society should provide more support for, but that's not the conversation I'm having today

gently caress you

i don't care what ohh better not sound mad on the internet level cringe this is genuinely gently caress you, gently caress off. I hope you get mugged you sanctimonious piece of poo poo class traitor.

eat poo poo motherfucker

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I'm noticing a ton of people dropping out of the service work force. It makes sense. You get paid too little to survive and the customers are abusive. What's weird is that I don't see a corresponding rise in union strength or communism like in the 1930's. People are just walking away for the most part. It's the labor equivalent of everyone wandering into the forest to die.

clearly they've just bootstrapped themselves into better paying work

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Beached Whale posted:

drat if only there was literally anything we could do to prevent this

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1420757237056917504

What is the point of them signalling this now? Somebody help me understand how there is a rational process behind this. Even a cynical one. I just don't get it.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

PhilippAchtel posted:

Bernie is starting to feel like one of those Super Bowl Ads that expresses great condolence at systemic racism but end by inviting you to buy a Toyota Tacoma or some poo poo.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
I keep wondering if this not-actually-cancelling student debt thing is mostly just a measure to prop up those loans as assets, so that they aren't written off as to count as a loss because they're technically just differed instead of liquidated. This seems like both the stupidest and most likely explanation for all this can kicking.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
The vast majority of american workers barely have the mental capacity left at the end of the day to choose anything beyond what's relatively cheap, as convenient as possible and makes the pain go away. It only takes a look at this countries inflating BMI to figure that out instantly. We know what healthy food is and it doesn't matter.

Pricing people out of beef would/will burn down more police stations than BLM ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Forseti posted:

It's true, dal owns. Also lentils are basically speed-beans so they're cool and good

This forum taught me how to make dal a decade ago when I was living on 50 dollars a month and is basically the only reason I had any quality of life while I was super poor.