Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sitting Councilmember

I'm in favor of listing Power and Coins, sure.

Quackles posted:

I still don't understand, even with House Lethe being Opportunists, why they voted Nay.

Those who seek to know the mind of the serpent will, uh... uh, hold on, [sound of notes being shuffled]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

megane posted:

Sitting Councilmember

I'm in favor of listing Power and Coins, sure.

Those who seek to know the mind of the serpent will, uh... uh, hold on, [sound of notes being shuffled]

This, but a stagecoach

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

eliasswift posted:

I actually really like this pitch, and do hope you join if you wish! This has been really fun so far.

It seems unlikely that I'll be able to find the time, but I do intend on following the thread, which I find somewhat fascinating.

Also, much love and respect to house Lethe for taking my gentle needling in good stride. (Possibly because they have secret meta-objectives I am not privy to?)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Quackles posted:

House Cyfoeth, you mentioned wanting to collaborate on sharing secret agenda data predictions. Are you still interested in that? (This is more for when we are not both last-ish in the agenda pick order.)

I can keep randomly pointing and shouting "traitor" at people if you want. You traitor.

Omobono posted:

My guess? Screen achievements. They're the religious house, morale is (also) the religious resource, they probably chose to get a pip on an highest morale achievement.

Agreed.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Interregnum
This is a moment of quiet reflection for all Noble Houses that sit on the King's Council. King Harald V has peacefully abdicated; he has decided that a life of quiet contemplation in a remote monastery was what he needed at the ripe age of 54. The kingdom awaits in trepidation while the Thanes vote on a successor.

You still have 24h more to discuss your internal strategies and send me your Hidden Agenda drafting preferences before the next King takes power; if you haven't done so already and you are a Senator, I'd recommend you join the King's Dilemma SA server for ease of communication with your House. Please check the message in the #welcome channel if you are new to the server!

:siren::siren::siren:
In the meantime, let's have some fun!
  • Please keep voting for the new King's name!
  • It is time to give King Harald V's a nice epitaph (even if they most certainly probably are not dead). A few words or a sentence should do! The most popular (or my favorite, in case there's a tie) will be forever engraved in the OP, together with...
  • A picture to represent King Harald V's portrait in the Hall of Kings. You can grab one online, draw it yourself, paper machè it, the sky is the limit.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
King Harald the Surprisingly Wise.

Motto: "He got out while the going was still good."

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

TravelLog posted:

King Harald the Surprisingly Wise.

Motto: "He got out while the going was still good."

The nobility gave him a generous retirement package and he's now getting a tan on a beach somewhere.

Needless to say, I'm all for this epitaph.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

"Et reliquit cum relinquens esset bonum"*

* This is NOT latin.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
King Harald V the Surprisingly Wise seems like a fitting moniker for history.

Likewise, I for one welcome the reign of the newly crowned King Blythe I Aontas, long may he reign.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
King Harald the Generous of course, always willing to prioritise the happiness of the people over riches and opulence, like a good servant of the Mother!

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Nah nah nah y'all gotta send out kings right: with bad poetry.

There once was a king named Harald;
He led us with much wine barreled.
But he got too complacent
So he's now church-adjacent
And for Ankist a new king we herald.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Sighence posted:

There once was a king named Harald;
He led us with much wine barreled.
But he got too complacent
So he's now church-adjacent
And for Ankist a new king we herald.
:yeah:

Also, I have now updated your House Sheets with the Hidden Agenda that you have drafted for this reign. You have still some time to strategize and submit the fruits of your creativity - the reign of King Blythe I starts tomorrow morning GMT/UTC (or in about 16h).

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Proposed art for Harald below. It has that perfect "what on earth are my counselors talking about now" look.

I'll leave it to another goon with better art skills than I to tackle a proposed heraldic crest bearing his motto.

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Now, let's count up your sins!

Covski posted:

King Harald the Generous of course, always willing to prioritise the happiness of the people over riches and opulence, like a good servant of the Mother!

I do like this. Remember that we did end the game with Wealth in the far negatives. For all he did, his reign was based on standing up for what the people thought was right over the treasury.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I do like King Harald the Generous.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TravelLog posted:

Proposed art for Harald below.

That can be the profile pic on his Instaregnum account. :v:

Quackles fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 21, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reign of King Blythe I, Dilemma 1

After a short deliberation, King Blythe is elected by the Thanes. Long live Blythe, First of his Name, King of Ankist!

History of the Kingdom of Ankist posted:

Hall of Kings

Storyline:

Storyline:

- Foreman/Sitting Councilmember: Blastinus (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: Omobono
- Treasurer/Navigator: Jossar

- Sitting Councilmember: Danaru (also Treasurer)

- High Scholar/Sitting Councilmember: oldskool (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: megane
- Treasurer/Negotiator: Bellmaker

Dilemma1 posted:

Stakes:

Resources:

Duin is one of the largest cities in the Duchy of Coden, seat of House Cyfoeth.

A 48h voting window is now open!
- Sitting Councilmembers can send me a PM/Email with their final decision. Please consult the OP if you need a refresher on the rules!
- Treasurers can now start bribing. Please consult the OP if you need a refresher on the rules!
- Senators are free to discuss the Dilemma and provide their feedback. Don't forget that every choice could have consequences that are not spelled out outright on the front of the card! Also, please remember that the thread is the main discussion platform for your vote intention - the Sheet is only to be used when discussing high level strategy, bargaining strategies and items on the sheet itself.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 21, 2021

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Foreman

Give the master artisans of House Pinchay a chance to roll up their sleeves and demonstrate their abilities? And make some tidy profit in the process? Hah, seems like a simple decision to make.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Blastinus posted:

Foreman

Give the master artisans of House Pinchay a chance to roll up their sleeves and demonstrate their abilities? And make some tidy profit in the process? Hah, seems like a simple decision to make.

Treasurer

You want to give the symbol of our country, the ones you all fought so hard for, to a Codenian merchant? I think our people deserve better leaders than that! Perhaps a few more prayers to Raela to temper your greed are in order!

Blessed be The Mother.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 21, 2021

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

House Cyfoeth, Dukes of Coden

Senator of House Cyfoeth
A middle aged man, short of hair and large of paunch, muses into his drink:

"House Cyfoeth has always pushed for the betterment of the Kingdom. All this soldiering around only sucks resources into the army instead of practical things, like mills, or full granaries in times of want. Surely this is better than swords?

Like our ancestors during the reign of King Harald the Generous, last of his line, did when faced with exactly the same dilemma.

Fat Samurai posted:

House Cyfoeth, Dukes of Coden

Senator of House Cyfoeth

A middle aged, obese man, waving a tankard at the bottom of the Council table leans towards his neighbour and completely fails to whisper.

"This soldier stuff seems tiresome. Just a bunch of young boys prancing around in fancy uniforms. I haven't overslept and missed a war again, right? Surely it's better to sell the stuff and bring something useful back. Like wine!"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sitting councilor

If the sword is a symbol, what should it fear from replicas? We've already turned this sword into plowshares (scalpelshares?) once, and spreading Ankist culture would only help our trade with our neighbours.

I personally would be willing to entertain this request, but I'm eagerly awaiting the interventions from the rest of the senators.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Foreman

It is in fact BECAUSE this sword is a symbol of the kingdom that I wish to replicate it. The value of merchandise is not just in the sale, but the word of mouth that spreads from it. Soon, everyone will be arriving from far and wide to receive an imitation red iron sword for their very own.

And what's more, we can expand into other ventures. Imagine! Ankist-branded cups, vases, tunics, tea cozies! This one sword may be the key to turning our nation into a hub of trade and commerce for generations to come!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Senator

AGAIN with this red steel? Our predecessors speculating that the material was cursed seem to have been correct, the curse being the endless bickering that has resulted from it.

That said, do my collegues mean to say that the Sword of the King, the symbol of Ankist and the protection of it's people is merely a trade good to be reproduced and sold?! Why not, pray tell, sell reproductions of the king's crown and crown jewels while we're at it? King Harald the Generous would have never stood for such an affront to the monarchy and to the good people of the kingdom, I strongly urge a vote of nay here.

Blessed be the Mother.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

(Since it might not have been clear I was expressing a preference for Aye)

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Now, let's count up your sins!

Senator

A Middle Aged man wearing light armor, a “veteran” of the adventures who returned to take his place on the Senate and do his duty for his family, shakes his head vehemently. He cannot deal with those who wish to sell replicas like this.

“The last King was a man who didn’t worship coin so hard. The fact that you would just sell a replica sword like this... It’s not the money, but the status.”

“It is not just the Royal line that holds this sword, but those in our military that use these swords to show status, that they are the strong soldiers of Ankist. If we create replicas, all we are doing is creating the chance for deception. All due respect to Cyfoeth and the people under their lordship, but...” He thinks for a moment.

“We sell this to this merchant from your lands. Perhaps this merchant later gets attacked by bandits and the sword stolen. Or maybe the merchant sells this sword, maybe even to a stranger from beyond our borders. What’s to stop those bandits or this stranger from showing this sword to someone who doesn’t know the science of smithing or of Red Iron and pretending they are our soldiers? They could use it for espionage, or to commit sins under our name! It seems too risky...”

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Covski posted:

King Harald the Generous would have never stood for such an affront to the monarchy

King Harald the Generous did not stand for rather a lot, which is why he is no longer king.
Feel free to go to his monastery and tell him all ab-
Oh wait Mommy might not like that, right?

Let us be generous with our pride. Make the sword.

Sighence fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 21, 2021

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

'

BLASPHEMY!

*throws cup of wine across the room*

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

High Scholar

The symbol of Ankistian military might is not for sale! What have we to gain from imitation red iron?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Sitting Councilmember

While I respect our military, it would be foolish to refuse a large sum of money just to spare their feelings. I say let them have the replica.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Covski posted:

Senator

King Harald the Generous would have never stood for such an affront to the monarchy and to the good people of the kingdom

Senator
Bold words, my lord, with your boot prints still firmly upon His Royal Rump.

It seems my esteemed peers are misinterpreting the messenger; the request is not to borrow the original. At no time should the true sword leave the palace, regardless of our choice. Given that, it is of little import whether we allow likenesses of its glory to be sold, or to enhance its mystique through scarcity.

Covski posted:

Why not, pray tell, sell reproductions of the king's crown and crown jewels while we're at it?

A splendid notion, my Lord - please write it on a little card with a picture of a sword, and place it into the Council Folio.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Senator

The wealth we would gain from selling cheap baubles in the shape of swords is not the kind of wealth our kingdom should take pride in.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Second Cousin Thrice Removed

Surely the military has other things to care about that a few baubles? They can strut about with field maneuvers, siege weapons and tourneys. This feud only goes to show that our military is weak, having not faced a true enemy in decades. They v should be concerned more about their readiness to face the battlefield than their ability to wear a unique dress at the ball. We should allow these replicas to be made to prove this point to the military

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Senator

We aren't selling actual weapons, but what better way to spread their story than to have more people see a pale comparison to the original's beauty? Selling replica weapons now so the treasury will have money for real weapons later seems prudent.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Senator

The lean man from House Daucus, up in the gallery section for those not currently acting as representatives, stands to speak. "Forgive me, High Scholar, but would not selling replicas of the Scarlet Tide allow knowledge of what the innovativeness and art of man may accomplish? And as such, is it not something to be desired?"

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

TravelLog posted:

Senator

The lean man from House Daucus, up in the gallery section for those not currently acting as representatives, stands to speak. "Forgive me, High Scholar, but would not selling replicas of the Scarlet Tide allow knowledge of what the innovativeness and art of man may accomplish? And as such, is it not something to be desired?"

Senator

*cough*wood*cough*

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Senator

*cough*wood*cough*

The senator from Olwyn stares at his coughing colleague before rummaging in a case he has nearby. He withdraws, triumphantly, a small bottle and a stone cup, which he proffers. "That cough sounds dreadful, friend. Try this tincture. It is a brew my daughter (a most wondrous physicker) makes that does wonders for the airways."

OOC: The earlier comment was to meant to be in reference to allowing other people to hear about our cool meteor-iron sword and get excited about a leap forward in technology and artifice.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Good news! The game is 20% off on Amazon.com today, in case you are interested :)

Also, our scholars have discovered an errata regarding an Achievement for one of the Houses in our game. The error has been rectified and, luckily for us, it was discovered only after 1 game. EDIT: the affected House already knows, so if you don't have any discussion about this is your discord channel you are good!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 21, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Well, I don't really have much of an opinion on the issue, though I am leaning slightly in favor of selling it. But instead, I propose reverting to a classic House Daucus bargaining proposition:

We would love to take your side on this issue. Please pay us for our valuable contribution.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sitting Councilmember

The people and the soldiers have come to view the sword as a symbol of our nation. They would see the creation of a replica as a cheapening of that symbol, and rightly so. Their will is far more important than some merchant’s whims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Senator

I'd see it as quite the opposite from my esteemed colleague of House Lethe, a symbol is only as good as the knowledge of that symbol.
Some of the most significant artifacts to antiquity can be discerned as no different from common fare to our more enlightened eyes. Should we hide the pride and symbol of our armed forces in secrecy so none may look upon it or know of it? What good then is the symbol? Far better to let the legend, the tale of the Crimson Tide flow to the farthest reaches of the continents as only then will they know to fear our might.