Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. I think I'm going to look for a nice lapboard and wireless keyboard/mouse unless I can get my steam controller to work, that's a great suggestion. Last time I tried to run modded through steam it had issues because of the launcher, I'll try again.

This ain't a temporary thing so I might as well look for a long term solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I've been playing the 1.16 version of the Direwolf20 pack and (besides using an astonishing amount of memory) it has one problem. Whenver a traveling merchant or plague doctor from the Rats mod shows up, they turn invisible and then start repeatedly drinking milk.

They're not hostile, they still trade, and the never die. They just wander through my base making a huge amount of noise - invisible except for the bucket of milk they drink out of.

Anyone know what causes this?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Weembles posted:

I've been playing the 1.16 version of the Direwolf20 pack and (besides using an astonishing amount of memory) it has one problem. Whenver a traveling merchant or plague doctor from the Rats mod shows up, they turn invisible and then start repeatedly drinking milk.

They're not hostile, they still trade, and the never die. They just wander through my base making a huge amount of noise - invisible except for the bucket of milk they drink out of.

It looks like the milk is not removing the invisibility potions they use at night for some reason. I've been killing them but its annoying :(

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
He just started up a new tutorial series on Create for 1.16.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kURzOZi-04c

Also Mischief of Mice started a new one for the new Ars Magicka.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy4PxYEnyCE

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Weembles posted:

Does the pack have the performant (spelling?) mod in it? I saw a comment that said that it was the culprit behind that issue. You should be fine to disable it as it is a performance based mod.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Maguoob posted:

Does the pack have the performant (spelling?) mod in it? I saw a comment that said that it was the culprit behind that issue. You should be fine to disable it as it is a performance based mod.

That works! Thanks.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I also found that for whatever reason, 1.16 packs run like absolute garbage with java 8 (which I kept around for 1.12 and older packs). The only way I've gotten ATM6 working with a playable framerate was to install java 14. (And my tolerance for "playable" is pretty low, this was like single-digit fps even with 8 GB of ram and with the jvm tuning that works great with 1.12.)

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

taiyoko posted:

I also found that for whatever reason, 1.16 packs run like absolute garbage with java 8 (which I kept around for 1.12 and older packs). The only way I've gotten ATM6 working with a playable framerate was to install java 14. (And my tolerance for "playable" is pretty low, this was like single-digit fps even with 8 GB of ram and with the jvm tuning that works great with 1.12.)

I haven't really had any FPS issues with 1.16 compared to 1.12 packs. My main issue with 1.16.4 Forge currently is that it takes loving forever to load into the world now. I just timed my Enigmatica 6 instance. 3 minutes 15 seconds to load into the Main Menu. 3 minutes and 25 seconds from the Main Menu to load into the World.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

taiyoko posted:

Wait, Java is on 14? The latest version I can see for download, that isn't the JDK, is 8 (aka 1.8u271).

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Happy Hedonist posted:

Does anyone have any experience with playing modded minecraft with a controller? I know that sounds dumb but I can’t sit in an office chair and play games atm due to a medical thing and I miss modded minecraft. With all of the hotkeys I know it’d be difficult, but a mod that let me bind to a controller would work. I’m gonna need a keyboard in front of me for some stuff, but it should be possible?
Not sure which medical thing, but you can use a mouse+keyboard while laying in bed as long as you put a mousepad down on the bed to use the mouse on. Mouse under covers, keyboard/laptop on top. Not practical depending on setup but comfortably possible for non-competitive games.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 9, 2021

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

dragonshardz posted:

Wait, Java is on 14? The latest version I can see for download, that isn't the JDK, is 8 (aka 1.8u271).
They changed how Java is distributed after 8. There's no more generic JRE package since apps are now supposed to bundle their own runtime pieces, so if you want the same kind of generic for-whatever Java environment as before, you do have to get the JDK.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Happy Hedonist posted:

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. I think I'm going to look for a nice lapboard and wireless keyboard/mouse unless I can get my steam controller to work, that's a great suggestion. Last time I tried to run modded through steam it had issues because of the launcher, I'll try again.

This ain't a temporary thing so I might as well look for a long term solution.

I've had success with a little lapboard to a wireless m/kb on for couch gaming when a controller isn't feasible. Definitely try to get the steam controller working if you want to use a controller though, with all the fancy bindings it allows you to do you can get a nearly infinite amount of keybinds working.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Halibut Barn posted:

They changed how Java is distributed after 8. There's no more generic JRE package since apps are now supposed to bundle their own runtime pieces, so if you want the same kind of generic for-whatever Java environment as before, you do have to get the JDK.

Well gently caress.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

It was a thing I found on reddit, using the openjdk hotspot release and the arguments
code:

-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseZGC

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

taiyoko posted:

It was a thing I found on reddit, using the openjdk hotspot release and the arguments
code:
Did you just plug those options into MultiMC or whatever launcher, then?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Maguoob posted:

My main issue with 1.16.4 Forge currently is that it takes loving forever to load into the world now.

It sure as gently caress does. I wonder if it'll take as long for people to load into the server when it's running. Might have to set a ridiculously long timeout.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Black Pants posted:

It sure as gently caress does. I wonder if it'll take as long for people to load into the server when it's running. Might have to set a ridiculously long timeout.

As someone running a 1.16.4 server, you should also have a mod that increases the max packet size in the pack.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Danny Glands posted:

As someone running a 1.16.4 server, you should also have a mod that increases the max packet size in the pack.

Oh nice catch, thank you. XL Packets dropped in. And with that, the pack is off to be approved by Curseforge in a few days, and hopefully on a server by next week. :toot:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

taiyoko posted:

code:

This works, but I am getting some nasty lagspikes.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ohhhhh MANNNN

i updated GT:NH and couldn't get it to run anymore, so i preserved my saves and reinstalled

i forgot to preserve my journeymap

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Patware posted:

ohhhhh MANNNN

i updated GT:NH and couldn't get it to run anymore, so i preserved my saves and reinstalled

i forgot to preserve my journeymap

Just cheat in an extremely high-tech scanner.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Just cheat in an extremely high-tech scanner.

oh i've got it. i had

a lot of space marked out

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Given a mod and a datapack that does the same thing the mod does, is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If they do something identical, no not really. Mods can just do, y'know, more.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I found out that the version of tinkers construct in GTNH has decreasing returns on repairs. Every repair reduces further repairs by 1%, up to 50% at 50 repairs. What the gently caress.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

McFrugal posted:

I found out that the version of tinkers construct in GTNH has decreasing returns on repairs. Every repair reduces further repairs by 1%, up to 50% at 50 repairs. What the gently caress.

Fixed Bug: Repair effectiveness was going from 100% to 50%, instead of 50% to 0% as intended

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Are there any sort of angled or wedge blocks in All The Mods 6? I really loved them in FTB Revelations and want to be able to make my houses look smooth, but there's so many mods it's a nightmare sifting through all of them. If there isn't a mod that adds these blocks, is there one I can download that's compatible with 1.16.4?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Qubee posted:

Are there any sort of angled or wedge blocks in All The Mods 6? I really loved them in FTB Revelations and want to be able to make my houses look smooth, but there's so many mods it's a nightmare sifting through all of them. If there isn't a mod that adds these blocks, is there one I can download that's compatible with 1.16.4?

The closest is BlockCarpentry. But it's still WIP.

Oh hey I didn't see this one before https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/assorted-decor

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 10, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:neckbeard:

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Is that Powah or Extreme Reactors?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Danny Glands posted:

Is that Powah or Extreme Reactors?

That is Gregtech's Electric Blast Furnace and a Vacuum Freezer.

Any ingots that require the max temp or higher on cupronickel coils have to be cooled in the Vacuum Freezer to be usable.

The vacuum freezer itself is a huge achievement because it requires EV circuits, which require a number of processing machines, dozens of components, and a cleanroom multiblock structure.

Of course now you can upgrade those coils and have a speedy and efficient pyrolyse oven and get upgraded overclocks on the EBF (so 4x faster on a voltage tier up instead of 2x meaning no extra energy cost!)

Hope you've been doing Thaumcraft because it sounds like it's almost space time and you need like 20 nether stars for the crafting table to build a rocket!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Actually the devs changed things around so you don't use the avaritia crafting table to build rockets- now you use the nasa workbench, which, among a bunch of other machinery/circuits, requires 6 nether star plates! much easier but you'll still probably prefer going with thaumcraft for the stars.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
"Nether star plates." What did I get myself into?

At what tier in GT:NH could I use a hobbyist steam engine? It looks like tin cables won't connect to it and somebody in Discord confirmed it's a no-go there. I'm wonder if this one I found in a village is something I can do this-or-that particular thing to incorporate into my LV power generation.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
This isn't really Minecraft related, but Talonos (the Blightfall guy) finally has a new game coming out! It turns out making real games instead of Minecraft modpacks takes a long time. It's called Final Winter. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1497510/Final_Winter/

It's a "Speedrunning RPG" where you are trying to make it to the bottom of a cave full of monsters and traps in 10 minutes. Check it out and wishlist it if you like!

Also you can play the game jam version from 3 years ago as well. https://talonos2.itch.io/finalwinterjamversion. The final version is much more polished and not made in RPG Maker, for what it's worth.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

At what tier in GT:NH could I use a hobbyist steam engine? It looks like tin cables won't connect to it and somebody in Discord confirmed it's a no-go there. I'm wonder if this one I found in a village is something I can do this-or-that particular thing to incorporate into my LV power generation.
Nether stars are just treated as a kind of “ingot” or crystal in the same class as stuff like diamonds, lapis, all the gt gems, Thaumcraft shards... all of these things can be compressed into blocks then cut into plates. Or pulverized into powder, and the powders can be autoclaved back into crystals.

Those steam engines consume steam, not produce it. They turn steam into rf, which I never really saw a good use for

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

Nether stars are just treated as a kind of “ingot” or crystal in the same class as stuff like diamonds, lapis, all the gt gems, Thaumcraft shards... all of these things can be compressed into blocks then cut into plates. Or pulverized into powder, and the powders can be autoclaved back into crystals.

Those steam engines consume steam, not produce it. They turn steam into rf, which I never really saw a good use for

To put a finer point on this -- the way you compress those items into blocks is that you get 9 of the item (nether stars), compress it into a block, and then cut it using the block cutter. This means that even though the widget in question needs 6 plates, you have a 9 nether star buy in. :haw:

I'm actually not too worried about withers, honestly. Since enderIO is in, it has the witherproof building blocks in as well. Assuming I can make these, or the thaumcraft unbreakable equivalent, I can just make a cage for the wither, then stab it to death through a murderhole. Rinse, repeat as needed.

The only use for RF that I've found, so far, is to recharge my item magnet that I got from a loot bag. I just have an enderIO capacitor bank (one I also got from loot bags) stashed away with a coal generator on it (also mostly acquired from loot bags.)

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That is, I think, a railcraft or forestry RF generator and will not be compatible with pretty much anything. I'm not even sure they even function in GT:NH.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone got advice on how to branch out into other mods in the All The Mods 6 pack? For example, when I feel finished with MineColonies, how do I find another mod within the pack that clicks with me. The only solution I can think of is to trawl through the mod list and click each one to see what it adds / does, but there's an absolute metric fucktonne of them and that alone will take ages.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if you're playing a sandbox it's basically 'well figure out what you wanna do yourself'. Which is why I tend to prefer servers for those, since you can talk to people in real time and see what others have done to know what exists.

That said I've had a few people say they'd appreciate some sort of guide in packs like that so I've considered it for the one I'm going to be releasing soon but I'm not exactly sure how to go about unobtrusively informing players of their options in-game. I don't have any experience with Patchouli (and it seems a bit limited for this purpose) and while I could use FTBQ I guess it seems a bit overkill considering I sure as hell am not going to make actual quests.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Okay, gently caress pollution.

Near as I can tell, the design goal of pollution is to punish higher-tier players for spamming tons of low-level machines and wrecking server performance, and that it's a relatively new concept. I'm playing on single player, so I'm cool with turning it off.