Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Umbreon posted:

Is this rustic waters 2? Or something else entirely?

Oh yeah, brain fart my bad haha. I meant Rustic Waters II, not sure why I thought seablock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Sailor Dave posted:

Oh yeah, brain fart my bad haha. I meant Rustic Waters II, not sure why I thought seablock.

Probably because Rustic Waters itself goes by the title “Seablock: Rustic Waters.” I think the sequel pack did too? AFAIK most people dont call it that, though, not least because it’s an extremely ham-handed “seablock” that still has a full level and mining and etc., you’re just prevented from building on the sea floor.

BlondRobin fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 11, 2022

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think my crew is getting ready to be done with Vault Hunters. The progression is loving brutal. Looking forward to Stoneblock 3, though. I see Ars in there and I want another crack at it.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Echophonic posted:

I think my crew is getting ready to be done with Vault Hunters. The progression is loving brutal. Looking forward to Stoneblock 3, though. I see Ars in there and I want another crack at it.

Wait a few more weeks and you can get brutalized by Vault Hunters 1.18 version!

I do love Ars Nouveau, but I think the new armor design is 1.19.2 + only, I know there are other changes but I can't think of them of the top of my head.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
There's supposed to be a casual mode for 1.18, I've just been throwing Phoenix on everything. Maybe we'll come back to it after that matures.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
What's Vault Hunters about?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

McFrugal posted:

Gathering resources to open portals into the titular Vaults, which are randomly-built timed maze dungeons with loot and gear. You unlock skills and mods as you progress.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BlondRobin posted:

you’re just prevented from building on the sea floor.

Was that just a Rustic Waters 1 thing? Because in RW2 I totally had a lot of my infrastructure on the sea floor like my ethlyene production and gas turbines.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Kyrosiris posted:

Was that just a Rustic Waters 1 thing? Because in RW2 I totally had a lot of my infrastructure on the sea floor like my ethlyene production and gas turbines.

It’s exactly the same as in RW1 where some or another restrictions mod is used to block items, but only the sort of “common life” items so it’s awkward to have a base there. You can’t put, I think it’s normal doors, beds, and crafting tables? Some mod variants of those as well, IIRC, but not super thorough. It also might have changed in a patch.

At the very least I remember needing to edit those out when I eventually moved to the sea floor on the grounds that a sea floor base is much more aesthetic than an inexplicably floating one in my books (I did the same in rustic waters 1, lol). Considering it also forces you to put the plant pots down there it’s weird, but it was still there.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

McFrugal posted:

As stated, it's randomly-generated dungeons full of monsters and loot. There's a few different kinds, but you mostly do boss hunts where you find obelisks. Entering vaults requires crystals that require items from the overworld to charge. You find resources in the vaults that let you unlock and make stuff from various mods. From there it's a loop of leveling up, gearing up, running more vaults.

My group cheated in storage drawers because gently caress manually handling all that poo poo. Other than that, it's very combat heavy, which is a first for my friends. We usually do automation and exploration packs. We're not even on our first POG, you need tons of rare gems to make that sort of stuff.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Vault Hunters has a very weird difficulty curve where until you start getting decent vault gear it can be pretty challenging unless you specifically make sure to craft the most heavily enchanted armours which requires villager houses full of traders. Once you do start getting decent vault gear, jetpacks, lasers, void charms, etc then it speeds up dramatically again and you start blazing through vaults stripping them bare and leveling quickly.

Making early vault crystals to be able to run said vaults can also be a pain for a while until you get enough random-resource generators from the vaults and vault-specific resources to craft into rare vanilla items.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 11, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
At the time I played it, Vault Hunters also required you to beat all of vanilla Minecraft before you really got into the interesting mod content, which wasn't great, and it had very little in-game documentation or guidance. Kinda put me off it, though any combat-oriented modpack is going to be an uphill battle with MC's combat.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You at least start with some good QoL mods like the one that lets you reroll villager trades. For max ~efficiency~ it's all about getting the bare minimum to get all the villager trade types and spamming up with infinite emeralds from the ability that lets you instantly grow crops. With those you get full diamond stuff, xp, enchant books, and bottles so you can skip straight to going to kill the ender dragon, getting gliders and shulker chests, then maybe farming a bit of netherite before starting vaults. A bit of effort but the villager trades are a lifesaver for the rest of the game.

Setting up a gold farm is easily the most boring essential part as you need 72 bars per 3 healing potions and don't heal naturally inside vaults.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

At the time I played it, Vault Hunters also required you to beat all of vanilla Minecraft before you really got into the interesting mod content, which wasn't great, and it had very little in-game documentation or guidance. Kinda put me off it, though any combat-oriented modpack is going to be an uphill battle with MC's combat.

Guy called "deadpine" has made a custom map for the first vault hunters that is a skyblock with pre-made portal and a custom button to give you as many scrappy crystals as you want. If you want a shot at a different vault crystal you can get an un-activated rock by trading in a block of diamond.

Details here if you're interested, I hope he does the same for VH 1.8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJaLpmeLVio

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
That's actually a really cool modification to VH. Having unlimited starter crystals fixes a bunch of the problems with the start of normal VH with not wanting to waste them as they are a bit of a pain to craft.

Makes me want to restart if he does it for the update.

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
What servers are y'all playing on? I've been itching to play modded Minecraft with people but PGS hasn't had any populated ones in a while.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How does filtration work with Pipez item filtering? I am using that assignment tool on the chests to set destinations and then affixing that in the GUI. I can see the coordinates reflected. However, it then just does whatever-what-the-heck with the stuff anyways.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have given up trying to recover my world. now I just want to transfer over my inventory to a new world. but googling character transfer, I'm led to use NBTExplorer to do such file transfers, and so I try to open my lost world's level.dat file to get the inventory from it.

why. why is even the file reader maxing out the memory usage from this damned world.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had similar when I wrecked a chunk with overflowing sugar cane in Omnifactory. I had to resort to a Python module that was better with how it managed loading data in order to access and fix it.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Captain Invictus posted:

I have given up trying to recover my world. now I just want to transfer over my inventory to a new world. but googling character transfer, I'm led to use NBTExplorer to do such file transfers, and so I try to open my lost world's level.dat file to get the inventory from it.

why. why is even the file reader maxing out the memory usage from this damned world.
Seems possible that the level.dat file is just plain corrupted in some way. If there's a 'level.dat_old' file in the same directory, you could try copying that over level.dat (make a backup of the original first) and see if you can load that instead.

If that doesn't work, you could try creating a new world (ideally with the same seed to avoid future chunk boundaries) and copying its level.dat into your current world. That would reset everything about your character, but if you're willing to live with that, it might get the rest of the world back...

If you'd like, you can shoot me a copy of the bad level.dat file and I can try and see if there's anything wrong with the NBT structure.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Halibut Barn posted:

Seems possible that the level.dat file is just plain corrupted in some way. If there's a 'level.dat_old' file in the same directory, you could try copying that over level.dat (make a backup of the original first) and see if you can load that instead.

If that doesn't work, you could try creating a new world (ideally with the same seed to avoid future chunk boundaries) and copying its level.dat into your current world. That would reset everything about your character, but if you're willing to live with that, it might get the rest of the world back...

If you'd like, you can shoot me a copy of the bad level.dat file and I can try and see if there's anything wrong with the NBT structure.
sure, thanks! if you're able to figure it out, this is the old world and the level.dat file for it:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/9fluvfkhiho4a9g/Gargamel.rar/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/hxabw2gaozo1arz/level.rar/file

and the new world I was trying to transfer the character to, and its level.dat:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/p8igvjyheybhylj/I+will+take+this+world+and+creat.rar/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/18e1019ke5iwwjn/level2.rar/file

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Hmm, the NBT structure isn't corrupt, and it does eventually load in NBTExplorer, but dang, that's the biggest level.dat file I've ever seen. It looks like there's a whole bunch of redundant data under the worldgen nodes; the biome list for the overworld contains over 53,000 entries even though there are only 253 actual unique biomes, and almost all of them are duplicate copies. Then there are millions of 'surface rule' tags defined just for the Nether, and this actually takes up most of the space in level.dat, which seems...odd.

I suspect there's some kid of bug in the worldgen mods (most likely TerraBlender and/or OTBYG) that's caused this redundant crap to accumulate in your level.dat over time, which is why it's seemed like it's getting slower and slower the more you played. Unfortunately you're on 1.18.1 and all the recent fixes to those mods are for newer versions.

Here's an edit of that level.dat that removes the junk data that you can try with the original world. Unfortunately it's not easy to separate the legit original data from the redundant junk, and I don't know if it's safe to just remove the biome list or not (maybe it'll get regenerated?), so this includes two versions. The one in the '01' directory removes both kinds, so try it first and if that doesn't work, the one in the '02' directory keeps the biome list and just removes the surface rules.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/nogm2qbx6zxs7kr/Gargamel_maybe_fixed_level.dat.zip/file

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I tried swapping it out, and nope, still crashes on trying to load the world after hanging for a solid 3 minutes or so. oh well, thanks for trying.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Vault Hunters 1.18 is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFKI1dt7aLs

no need to finish the vanilla game before you can go delving
different difficulty modes including one that doesn't wipe your inventory after a vault death
< level 10 all vault crystals have "saving grace" regardless of difficulty
built in skyblock mode if you just want to get straight in to it
costs to unlock mods have been massively reduced and overhauled

I mean at the end of the day it's still a combat modpack but lots of changes there that make it a lot better than the previous versions

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Don't trust Ender Tanks to fill up a reactor...

(yes they were chunkloaded)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Did Mekanism fuelwood heaters get massively nerfed in the past ~2 years or so? I figured I'd run a boiler->turbine setup with the heat from a few and they're only getting me up to 24 mb/tick from 4 of them. There's a GitHub thing about this claiming you'll only get 8 mb/tick from each heater now for some reason, which is in the ballpark for me (8x3=24). I figured I'd try it out again in Stoneblock 3 and it's just bad.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Titans of Industry

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Gat drat that multiblock cube is big. What is that?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Gat drat that multiblock cube is big. What is that?

The blue one is a mega vacuum freezer. It acts as 256 vacuum freezers that work in parallel. It is 15x15x15,
The white one is a High Temperature Gas-cooled Reactor. It reacts thorium TRISO pebbles for lutetium production. It is 11x12x11.
The yellow one with a green top and bottom is a mega blast furnace. It works as 256 electric blast furnaces in parallel. It is 15x20x15.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Trying out the latest 1.19 DW20 modpack, but off of the Prism launcher.
There were a few mods (maybe 4) that didnt auto download, but it gave links straight to the download page.
And if you save them to your Downloads folder it recognizes them and continues with the install.
Standard DW20 type of pack with stuff like Thermal, IE, Mekanism, Create, some magic and storage options.

I kinda stayed away from modpacks for awhile after the curse modpack fuckery.
Glad to see its still fairly simple.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've had zero issues with GDLauncher getting Curseforge mods, but a buddy of mine is having a bunch of them. Really strange.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Echophonic posted:

I've had zero issues with GDLauncher getting Curseforge mods, but a buddy of mine is having a bunch of them. Really strange.

Your buddy might need to manually update GDLauncher?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

McFrugal posted:

Your buddy might need to manually update GDLauncher?

He did a while back after the cutover, I think it's something to do with their DDOS protection, he's getting stuck in a "checking your connection" loop.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Echophonic posted:

He did a while back after the cutover, I think it's something to do with their DDOS protection, he's getting stuck in a "checking your connection" loop.

Yeah I updated GDLauncher and did the automatic separate downloads a while back, then something changed and Curseforge was giving me that error, and I went back to the Curseforge client

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is the Mekanism fission reactor really moody about chunk boundaries and such? I think I'm still reading about explosions from God-knows-what in the newer versions and it's not really compelling me to try it.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is the Mekanism fission reactor really moody about chunk boundaries and such? I think I'm still reading about explosions from God-knows-what in the newer versions and it's not really compelling me to try it.

yes, very much so.

I'm on my 3rd iteration now in my stoneblock 3 world because something fucky is causing them to go boom

this 3rd one I've done as pure Mek with little to no other mods involved because I just can't trust it to play nice

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I ended up just doing a Nitro Reactor from the Powah mod. It doesn't have any interest in exploding because of a bug. It was doing something like 310k FE/tick while initially starting, but I am nowhere near consuming at that rate so I dunno if it could do more in practice.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I ended up just doing a Nitro Reactor from the Powah mod. It doesn't have any interest in exploding because of a bug. It was doing something like 310k FE/tick while initially starting, but I am nowhere near consuming at that rate so I dunno if it could do more in practice.

yeah I do that for my main power source too, but you need the massive reactor built to get the polonium pellets for the singularity so if you want to complete the pack there's no avoiding it

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I assume compact machines would contain the mayhem but would it contribute to the reactor instability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I assume compact machines would contain the mayhem but would it contribute to the reactor instability?

The issue with compact machines is that you can't get the nuclear waste out of it to process (or at least I couldn't find any - it's a gas, and none of the tunnels allow gas transfer, nor are there any Ender Gas Tanks that I'm aware of), and there's no sun in them, so you can't make the Solar Neutron Activators turn it into Polonium.