Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Is there a way to remove stumps if I want to completely deforest an area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, use the destroy buildings menu, one of the options is destroy resources, it lets you remove trees/stumps/bushes/etc entirely. you get no resources if they're whole trees tho so chop them first if you don't have a forester going yet

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You can also just build over them, stumps don't block you in any way.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I haven't even gotten there yet but I keep thinking about beavers being cloned in vats of berry juice and laughing at how absurd it is

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Why, how do you clone things - your hands???

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Am I doing something wrong with the district system?

This is my second district. I'm trying to build it up, but the only way to build in it is by workers that live in it. I don't have the houses or water stores built yet, so even though my entire goods distribution network is working I can't have beavers living there full-time yet. So basically every morning I assign 8 beavers to live there and they fill out the builder jobs and work on the platforms and houses, then I have to re-assign them back to the main district before nightfall so they don't die of thirst.

It really bugs me not being able to build it out before sending people to live there :argh:

Also geeze water management is becoming a huge pain now. I have 4 (soon to be 5) water pumps with 3 small tanks each and they're struggling to keep up with the water demand of 76 beavers. Last dry season I dried up my reservoir on the night before the drought ended so I really need to get this second district up and running to slap a levee across the lake.

Waiting for trees to grow is the worst and I can't seem to plant enough forests to keep up with my wood demand no matter what I do. There's a big rush of logs every 30 days when all the Maple matures and then I use those in like 2 days and need to wait another 28 for them to grow again, lmao

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 17, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Just make some of them live there full time now, screw it. Treat it like a new colony, because it basically is. They'll do fine in the short term and will be happy eventually as you add services.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Can resources be shared across districts? Will beavers go into other districts at all or are they forced to stay in their own? I noticed earlier on when I was experimenting with the system I accidentally didn't set up a reservoir for the new district and uh everybody died of starvation while I wasn't looking, so I assume a new district will need a new forester for logs as well?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Squiggle posted:

Just make some of them live there full time now, screw it. Treat it like a new colony, because it basically is. They'll do fine in the short term and will be happy eventually as you add services.

Bleh I guess the problem is just that I don't have enough wood to build the water tanks there so they'll die of thirst. I've got another 20ish days before my next batch of logs comes in so I'll put it off until then. They don't seem to drink water stored in the distribution center?

edit: Wait nevermind it was all the delivery of water to District 2 causing my district 1 beavers to be thirsty. I get it now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

explosivo posted:

Can resources be shared across districts? Will beavers go into other districts at all or are they forced to stay in their own? I noticed earlier on when I was experimenting with the system I accidentally didn't set up a reservoir for the new district and uh everybody died of starvation while I wasn't looking, so I assume a new district will need a new forester for logs as well?

Beavers stay in their own district but you can build two buildings (under the Labor tab) to distribute resources to them.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

OH yeah okay I was assuming you had no resources shortages out of the other district and that the distribution nodes were set up and stocked. Definitely do that first.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

deep dish peat moss posted:

Beavers stay in their own district but you can build two buildings (under the Labor tab) to distribute resources to them.

Oooh this is exactly what I was wondering. Thank you!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

At this point I'm just restarting because I started a failure spiral trying to start up a second district. Do not move beavers back and forth between districts like I was doing. This lead to a lot of homes being vacant for large amounts of time which lead to beavers loving constantly and now I am massively overpopulated and can't keep up with the demand for food/water, and don't have enough wood to build the things I need for those.

I'm not a fan of the district system and I hate having multiple separate-but-not cities on the same map (at least without the ease of logistics of a game like Anno) so I'm just going to stick to a single district and see if maybe I can mod the district centers to have infinite range.

Also going to stick to the second faction because actually having control over population gain rate is extremely strong.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 17, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So there are a couple of ways to do your groundbreaking for a new district.

1. you can dump some beavs in it and hope they set up the buildings quick enough, or ship them some food using the distribution center as the drop off node does not need to be constructed.

2. district boundaries do not stop beavers from pathing into the other districts, what they do is they stop the green line of accessibility at the district gate, but they can work a little distance from that line, it's what allows them to build stuff not adjacent to roads. So you can set up a little cluster of houses etc near the district border but connected to the far side path, and your first district beavs will build those houses up. You will still need a distro system to actually send food there though.

The districts are honestly quite easy once you get them sorted and I quite like them, gives a real zoning feel to your settlements, the main thing I wish is that there was a better interface for setting up trade routes and shipping rates because the interface for that is a bit crap. It works it just feels like a chore.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I've found it is good practice to leave at least one or two beavers unemployed no matter what. If the dude manning your water pump keels over you may not notice until everyone is dying of thirst, and there is apparently no way to manually reassign someone to it or proiritize it as a job other than pausing production at other facilities until a beaver decides to switch over

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah being able to set labour priorities for buildings would be a good addition, you can do it for construction but not for staffing, and a "gently caress STAFF THIS BUILDING JESUS CHRIST STOP MAKING DYNAMITE AND PUMP SOME loving WATER" button would be very good too.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I just wish that with this whole system of pumps and power there was a way to make pumps powered and/or pump water in pipes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alkydere posted:

I just wish that with this whole system of pumps and power there was a way to make pumps powered and/or pump water in pipes.

I think that isn't a thing because if it was then you could make infinite power by pumping water in front of water wheels and using the wheels to power the pump.

But yes, absenting that, it would be nice if that was an option.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah being able to set labour priorities for buildings would be a good addition, you can do it for construction but not for staffing, and a "gently caress STAFF THIS BUILDING JESUS CHRIST STOP MAKING DYNAMITE AND PUMP SOME loving WATER" button would be very good too.

There's a pause button on buildings. Push that.

e: Also, what is the point of the "water dump" building?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Filling up homemade lakes would be my guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's a pause button on buildings. Push that.

e: Also, what is the point of the "water dump" building?

Oh sure, I just wish there was an anti-pause button, like red alert in ONI, basically DO THIS NOW. As well as priorities for what is most important so you don't have to watch them like hawks in the event of understaffing.

Also yes water dumps are just very labour intensive ways to move water around the map.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I've just been playing on my lunch breaks, but having a good time with the game. I keep forgetting to unlock research things and keep up "properly", but as long as I can sort out impending food supply issues I'm in good shape overall. Set up a floodgate dam to see if I can do a two stage reservoir just off screen; if it works, great, if it doesn't then at least I tried a Stupid Dwarf Beaver Trick.

Still need to figure out how much farmland one farmhouse can reasonably handle, if anyone ever figured out the ratio(s)...

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think the districts thing is an interesting idea, I have my second one set up and running now but I don't think it's worth trying until you can research both the distribution centers so you can easily send stuff in to get started. It doesn't need anything other than wood and boards to build so you can shoot for it relatively early.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

The districts are really nice since it fixes a problem a lot of city builders have - which is that once you sprawl out, your dudes spend all their time going to their jobs instead of actually doing them.

My biggest complaint so far is storage management. I figured out how to keep blueberries from crowding out all the space I need for dynamite but it's pretty click-intensive.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

esquilax posted:

My biggest complaint so far is storage management. I figured out how to keep blueberries from crowding out all the space I need for dynamite but it's pretty click-intensive.

There's an "Allow none" button in the bottom right corner of the warehouse UI if you mean how to only allow one thing in a given warehouse. I'll check allow none to uncheck everything then select the thing I want. I have a couple warehouses stacked full of blueberries at this point :sweatdrop:

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

explosivo posted:

There's an "Allow none" button in the bottom right corner of the warehouse UI if you mean how to only allow one thing in a given warehouse. I'll check allow none to uncheck everything then select the thing I want. I have a couple warehouses stacked full of blueberries at this point :sweatdrop:

Right, but it's more than you also have to go back and exclude blueberries from every single one of the old warehouses or they'll tribble you in blueberries again once the new warehouses fill up. Repeat for paper, bread, etc. I finally got to the point where almost all warehouses are single-item but it took a while and a lot of building.

At one point I just turned off my blueberry collectors to run down the surplus but then half of them starved to death while I was distracted 10/10

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Storage management is mainly allowing/disallowing various goods in warehouses yeah. The other numbers are mostly just roughly the ratio of item types you want there. As soon as your production exceeds consumption they mean nothing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To a degree that is a benefit to districts, because if you produce something in one district you can then send it to others and it will respect the numbers you set.

Though yes it would be nice if there were a better way to limit production based on wants, I think that some items do work that way but not raw foodstuffs.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Do you have to do something with books to get 'knowledge'? Because I have a shitton of the first but none of the second.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bought the beaver game and four hours just disappeared. All I'm left with is a mild feeling of content joy as well as some strange tooth marks on my desk legs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unkempt posted:

Do you have to do something with books to get 'knowledge'? Because I have a shitton of the first but none of the second.

I think "knowledge" is a consumable, it satisfies a beaver need, so you might be overproducing them? It is entirely unrelated to science.

I haven't made any yet though so i am not sure. I assume they just eat the books like foods.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Does power do anything for the inventor huts or are the ports there just so you can pass power through the building?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Wait is there another thing to do with a book?

…poo poo, is this why my state’s library board put a price on my head?!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

OwlFancier posted:

I think "knowledge" is a consumable, it satisfies a beaver need, so you might be overproducing them? It is entirely unrelated to science.

I haven't made any yet though so i am not sure. I assume they just eat the books like foods.

OK, this is right. My problem was that the books were sitting at the press and not getting to the warehouse, because the warehouse was full of paper, because apparently the 'desired' number at the warehouse does jack poo poo. Beavers are now eating the books and gaining knowledge, as designed.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm getting pretty frustrated with Timberborn the more I play it. The problem is in part that I don't really have any background knowledge of fluid dynamics or how dams, levees and flood gates work (I've lived in the desert my entire life) - but it takes several hours on a new save to get to the point where you can start making explosives and easily affording dams/levees/etc. and then one wrong move when using those tools pretty much ends your run - if you accidentally flood your farmlands for example you have no good way to pump that water out. Also my fault for not just making a manual save before doing that stuff. Either way the water doesn't flow or work the way I would expect it to (not sure if that's because it's not an accurate simulation or if I just don't understand what an accurate simulation should do) and you're not given much information in-game about flow rate or how the things you're building affect it. I can't figure out how to e.g. build a reservoir to contain water and to properly learn I would need to experiment a lot more. I don't want to keep dumping 2-3 hours into a new save just to get to the point where I can experiment and then failing 5 minutes later. Also something about the districts system is not clicking with me and I don't understand how to make them work, despite understanding how each invidividual piece of them works.

It's a neat game and I'm curious to see where it ends up but I'm shelving it now after 10 hours played, which isn't horrible at about $2.20/hour :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 17, 2021

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also a big tip for starting a district: if you’re not excessively trying to stretch how far away it is, do what I do: build a small survival outpost that has all the fixings (Warehouse, water storage, some homes, a dropoff point, a log storage.) if you can, you could even set up a pump and other amenities. So long as it’s on the edge of workable distance, they’ll build everything at the new spot. You don’t need much, just enough to sustain them and ferry goods from the old district. You’ll probably want to pause everything in the outpost, might get messy otherwise. Not sure what beavers do if they randomly find themselves in a new district.

After that’s built, go back and delete a piece of road between the outpost and the first district, replace it with a gate, then hook up a district center wherever. It can be near the outpost or further away if you’re really trying to cover some distance.

I think the first map, while easy, kind of fucks you on districts. I started a game on Mountain Range and while the start is significantly harder, I will probably only ever have 1, maaaybe 2 chained districts (as in, A has to go through B to get to C.) On plains you basically have nothing wildly interesting or useful beyond scrap metal 1 district away and good spots for new dams are at least 1 extra hop away.

Also, districts definitely want to be as self sufficient as possible. Unless they’re very small pop, you’re going to spend a whole lot of beaver labor moving resources. You don’t have to make it massive and keep expanding, either. I kept a town of roughly 15 beavers alive by pumping their own water and being delivered food. They brought metal beams back to the first district and ferried logs and planks to another distant district for a big drat project. They never got a larger pop, and if they had I would have wanted them to produce their own food.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Boba Pearl posted:

How many people do you think you'd need to beat a chimp in a nude fight to the death in a featureless void?

There is a level floor.

e: Whoops wrong thread, leaving for context to other posts but my b.

No no, I think you are in fact in the right thread, this is pretty much describing Ragnorum as I see it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also more on storage: The best luck I’ve had right now is dedicating a storage for each good. I think it’s counter intuitive, because it’s easy to think “alright, need more storage, build the bigger storehouse” but that’s sort of a trap. Until we get some limiting tools, you need to limit yourself by separating storages.

My current game is Ironteeth (so no big underground storage) and what I’ve done is make one small warehouse dedicated to each: berries, potatoes, flour, wheat, planks, gears, scrap, beams, explosives, paper, books. The buildings stack so it’s not a ton of space and, even better, I can keep storages close to production. I don’t really need more than 200 of any of these in an instant, but it’s extensible if necessary. Each food (bread, carrots, grilled potatoes) gets its own dedicated large warehouse.

This way I never run into any issues with crowding out. “Desired” is much different from “limit” so sharing means that if one good gets overproduced, it’s going to crowd out anything else. Desired I think has applications for say water towers: I noticed my haulers seemed to want to go and constantly balance out my water supply (so if everyone drank from tank 1 and it went to 20/30, they’d go haul 5 water from tank 2 at 30/30 so both were even - both tanks had desired set to 30.) this is dumb, so when I switched to large tanks I set the desired to each tank at 50/300 - if any tank gets low, I want them to refill it since there’s probably a lot of use for the tank, but I don’t care for them to shuffle resources during the wet season when everything’s nearly full. Production buildings will still haul to a storage so they can keep producing, “desired” just sets a pull request to haulers to bring that amount of stuff to the warehouse. You can set it at 0 unless you actively want them to bring something to that warehouse.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 17, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Volmarias posted:

No no, I think you are in fact in the right thread, this is pretty much describing Ragnorum as I see it.

Quick Ragnorium aside: starting on the third launch and every launch thereafter you should be bringing in at least a couple of the largest supply crate option: not only does it have plenty of supplemental food, they each come with, or wreck into, several pieces of actual Metal, saving an incredible amount of time in getting the +4 damage axes and hammers out to your clones, meaning your wrecking crew can start clearing combat encounter objectives far more rapidly and safely.

Also they come with non-leaf-based medical supplies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm getting pretty frustrated with Timberborn the more I play it. The problem is in part that I don't really have any background knowledge of fluid dynamics or how dams, levees and flood gates work (I've lived in the desert my entire life) - but it takes several hours on a new save to get to the point where you can start making explosives and easily affording dams/levees/etc. and then one wrong move when using those tools pretty much ends your run - if you accidentally flood your farmlands for example you have no good way to pump that water out. Also my fault for not just making a manual save before doing that stuff. Either way the water doesn't flow or work the way I would expect it to (not sure if that's because it's not an accurate simulation or if I just don't understand what an accurate simulation should do) and you're not given much information in-game about flow rate or how the things you're building affect it. I can't figure out how to e.g. build a reservoir to contain water and to properly learn I would need to experiment a lot more. I don't want to keep dumping 2-3 hours into a new save just to get to the point where I can experiment and then failing 5 minutes later. Also something about the districts system is not clicking with me and I don't understand how to make them work, despite understanding how each invidividual piece of them works.

It's a neat game and I'm curious to see where it ends up but I'm shelving it now after 10 hours played, which isn't horrible at about $2.20/hour :shrug:

I also forgot to respond to this. I don't have Fluid Dynamics Training and it's a videogame anyway, but eyeballing it usually works.

"Oh shoot, not enough drainage, I'm flooding" welp, time to delete that block you just placed. Water now flows as before, the water on land will drain back to the river, and the water still on land will spread itself around fast enough to evaporate quickly. Unless some went into a depression, on which case welp.

"Oh no, I just exploded a channel and it channeled far more water than I expected!" Short term: slap a levee over that bad boy and wait. Medium term: if it's important, put down a couple pumps. Long term: by the point that your have dynamite, you should be able to make a floodgate. Carve your channel in two parts, and put your flood gate on the first part (beginning or end, doesn't matter as long as you're ok with water just being in the channel without draining through). If you need to widen the channel, add an additional set of flood gates so that you can control the flow there while expanding the original flow gates.

Honestly, saying that you're in the desert so you don't get it is a cop out; water scarce regions are going to be far more keen on handling what water they do have. Major dams are likely much closer to you than me.