Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Warmachine posted:

The farms take all of two belts and two pipes at most. A flat for vegetables, fruits, flowers, and now saplings. A U-shaped for everything else. And since they're so big, you've got pretty much all the space in the world to work with, but you can cram them into two lines right up against the farms if you try. Run the U-shape on top and the flat on bottom one square away from the farm. Connect the flat first since that's the one that doesn't bend and tile nicely in the farm's orientation, then take the U-shape and drag it out along the belt until you can make a straight ramp up to the second level.

If you wanted to run fruits and veggies on the same belt, you can do some balancer/sorter engineering to build a reasonably good sorter, but that's really all there is too it.

Again, though, these aren't answers you have when you build the farm, these are answers you get well after you build the farm and the game is kicking you because you didn't know in advance exactly what you were going to need and you put your farms too close together / too close to the groundwater pump / too close to the bridge you thought would cover the conveyers.

It's not even that the game has a steep learning curve, it's that learning inevitably involves everything failing and you might as well start over and I think that's just a giant waste of my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

I mean, I tried, but it turns out that conveyors need like five spaces extra to make a turn or to go up a level, and then it turns out that you can’t put vegetables and potatoes on the same conveyor so now more space for that, and then it turns out that the inputs and outputs are on opposite sides of the buildings in question so somehow the conveyors have to switch places (see aforementioned five extra spaces for turns and elevation changes) oh and it turns out that when you add in a second farm you can’t plug two conveyors together within five spaces of elevation changes and turns and whoops your town is dead because you’ve rebuilt this five times and your trucks decided construction materials were more important than food deliveries

Between this and how obtuse the mining interface is I’ve found that I’m having more fun writing angry posts about how much I hated playing it than i did in my several hours of play so far

Edit: like, the mining and dumping interfaces use the same setup but apparently it’s a technology I have to research for the game to treat them as the same thing, what the ever loving gently caress

The devs also forgot to disable the hotkey if you don't have the tech, so as long as you know that it's N, you can use it before you have the research :v:
That said, it's a really early research so it's not a big deal even if they fix that. Locking the advanced vehicle logistics behind Research Lab 2 hurts more :smithicide:

Griz
May 21, 2001

skeleton warrior posted:

It's not even that the game has a steep learning curve, it's that learning inevitably involves everything failing and you might as well start over and I think that's just a giant waste of my time.

it's like dwarf fortress/rimworld/oxygen not included where you're expected to lose a bunch of times and rebuild or restart to avoid whatever killed you this time

I learned really early on to leave a few tiles around everything for future expansion, most maps have more than enough space

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not sure what I think about some of the flat ground turning into slightly rolling hills with the new terrain generation. On the Beach map at least, I seem to be moving a lot more dirt.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not sure what I think about some of the flat ground turning into slightly rolling hills with the new terrain generation. On the Beach map at least, I seem to be moving a lot more dirt.

It makes the maps a bit more natural looking, and is an excellent source of dirt for your early bricks but, as mentioned, it's a pain to have to clear so much area.

Especially on The Beach. I think they went a bit overboard with the rolling hills on that map. The other maps didn't seem to have as much (or any) rolling hills added.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That area to the right of your dock, the shore corner just “below” the coal and limestone, is especially a kick. Used to be a fairly easy place to put your first cargo dock. Oh well, not a big deal, just need plan B.

(Plan B is the shore behind the copper)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'm only just now getting the area behind the starting copper cleared out. My first real big goal was clearing a hole to the right of the copper so I could have my oil production there, and therefore acid and rubber right there to make electronics out of.

Got a trash bridge across to the gold island and that's the last area I really need to properly flatten. Right now though I'm working on getting into nuclear.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

euphronius posted:

I’m going to show a beaver a fluid pipe and blow it’s loving mind

... New thread title?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That’s a few hours ahead of my game, lol. My SE mountain range still exists. Just researched steel smelting.

Hey do groundwater spots handle more than three pumps now?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That’s a few hours ahead of my game, lol. My SE mountain range still exists. Just researched steel smelting.

Hey do groundwater spots handle more than three pumps now?

Depends on your settings. If you increase the rain then you can put more pumps on.

And yeah, I'm working on setting up nuclear funtimes. Currently stymied by the fact I managed to forget to research advanced sewage filtration so I don't know how to make filter material. :v:

Also a few details not mentioned in the patches: Captains Offices increases quick-trade value (so you can buy concrete in bulk from the starting village) and none of the docks block each other off, which means you can put your trading dock right next to your shipyard.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Jesus Christ, thank gently caress

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

My current complaint with Captain of Industry is that there clearly exist modern technologies along side a battleship, which as we all know is entirely antiquated in naval warfare doctrines and honestly laughable.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Decided on Timberborn. CoI is definitely looks cool but eh, resource flows are a vibe for another day.

I named my first settlement (it died from drought) Picture of Success, after a Rilo Kiley song. I kept dithering about city/base names in games like this so that's my naming convention, at least when I'm not feeling "Skoomania". What is everyone else's naming convention when games want you to name a city/base/settlement/spaceship/regular ship?

Anime Store Adventure posted:

My current complaint with Captain of Industry is that there clearly exist modern technologies along side a battleship, which as we all know is entirely antiquated in naval warfare doctrines and honestly laughable.

It looks kinda like a Chinese Type 55 with WW2 era guns.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 1, 2023

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

...What's the current?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I loving love this dumb game.
My poo poo isn't peak efficiency or productivity, but if feels so goddamn satisfying.

I only wish you could make the levees prettier, like eliminate the boxy lines whenever you build several next to/atop eachother.

/edit:
Also, this was the dumbest idea that actually worked out, but it cost me some serious logs

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 1, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bloodly posted:

...What's the current?

Guided missiles, aircraft, and subs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

skooma512 posted:

I named my first settlement (it died from drought) Picture of Success, after a Rilo Kiley song. I kept dithering about city/base names in games like this so that's my naming convention, at least when I'm not feeling "Skoomania". What is everyone else's naming convention when games want you to name a city/base/settlement/spaceship/regular ship?

I'll pick something vaguely inspiring and appropriate if I care. Otherwise, it's the town of Cocks again.

If I have to name a character, they are Weedlord Bonerhitler

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Decided on Timberborn. CoI is definitely looks cool but eh, resource flows are a vibe for another day.

For Timberborn, I like to name all my settlements after cities in Holland. Because they all end in -dam.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

skooma512 posted:

What is everyone else's naming convention when games want you to name a city/base/settlement/spaceship/regular ship?

I usually go with New Haven. Unsurprisingly, for the first few games it is often anything but. If I need to name more than one I'll just leave the rest of the names to the game.

It's one of the default names for the High Men cities in Master of Magic which I played in my formative years, and it kind of stuck.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Everything is called Arse. Possibly Arsetown or Arseville if I'm feeling particularly creative.

Latest CoI realisation: trucks don't seem to pick up from the recycling center, apparently you have to feed/sort the scrap out into storage bins yourself.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 1, 2023

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Unkempt posted:

Everything is called Arse. Possibly Arsetown or Arseville if I'm feeling particularly creative.

Latest CoI realisation: trucks don't seem to pick up from the recycling center, apparently you have to feed/sort the scrap out into storage bins yourself.

Yup. Pre-update it had slots for 5 materials, but there were only 4 in the game and a 5th was never added (or at least had yet to be added). The redesign rectified this, and if you don't mind that it has four sorters on it, lets it be used for more updates/designs.

It could stand to be explained better you now actively need to use sorters.

Edit: Thanks for making me look at my recycling center. I think I might have to build a second soon. I'm at 70% recycling and my island is producing so much scrap it was backed up and could only process more scrap when enough room for iron was made. Because it's only a single output now I was forced to put a max level belt on the thing and now it looks like the scrap is being shot out of a gun. :stare:

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 1, 2023

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
For city/colony building game names, I like to rotate between Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook from the monorail episode of The Simpsons.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i like games with randomizer, like Banished, you could get some awesome names, like West Ham

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

smarxist posted:

i like games with randomizer, like Banished, you could get some awesome names, like West Ham

I don't know if this is a joke or if you don't know that this is a real place with a fairly famous football team.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I was going to make a joke about the settlement being plagued by inconsistent leadership and overpaying for everything but, like West Ham, I'm not quite smart enough to realize my grandiose dreams

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I've tried to maximize my waterflow for my four large water wheels by narrowing the channel a bit with levees, and I've noticed what has got to be a bug, because two of my water wheels are still spinning gradually and generating like 120hp of power...5 days into a drought.

I'll take it :shrug:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

skooma512 posted:

What is everyone else's naming convention when games want you to name a city/base/settlement/spaceship/regular ship?

I name my cities after my pets (current and previous)

So I have
Mr Peabody
Boris Badenuf
Merlin
Buster
Baylee
Bosco

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

skooma512 posted:

If I have multiple things to name I usually name them after the terrain or the major function, in a way that I think would be attractive or funny, like "Brickton" or "Greenvale Coast" or "Spudville".

If I'm naming a single thing, like the one city I'm supposed to build and grow, I might name it after myself because Assuring My Place In History

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'll try to think of appropriate names for cities in games where you end up with a lot of them, based on terrain, or invent a hero to name them after. Spaceships in particular, I really love the way ships are named in the Culture books and in the old Andromeda TV show, where they have short phrases instead of words. Clarion Call, Andromeda Ascendant, Wrath of Achilles, Memory of Light, I Told You So, Tilting Vaguely Leftward. That sort of thing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Playing more of the CoI update and I don't really think I like the truck load mixing that much. It breaks my immersion (how is a dump truck selectively dumping certain goods???) and it makes trucks go out of their way to dump the 1 dirt it has before it will deliver the 19 ore or whatever. The rest of the update slaps of course.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SettingSun posted:

Playing more of the CoI update and I don't really think I like the truck load mixing that much. It breaks my immersion (how is a dump truck selectively dumping certain goods???) and it makes trucks go out of their way to dump the 1 dirt it has before it will deliver the 19 ore or whatever. The rest of the update slaps of course.

Yeah it's a weird one. I don't think it adds much or makes a lot of sense either.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I made the thread title. I have beavers on the mind.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I always had at least 3 loose storage silos at each mining site, Ore, Dirt, Rock, so this update to the truck storage/dumping is great for me. Especially after you research logistics. This helps you keep your miners mining with minimal downtime waiting for trucks to go dump something halfway across the map.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I loving love this dumb game.
My poo poo isn't peak efficiency or productivity, but if feels so goddamn satisfying.

I only wish you could make the levees prettier, like eliminate the boxy lines whenever you build several next to/atop eachother.

/edit:
Also, this was the dumbest idea that actually worked out, but it cost me some serious logs

the amount of logs you used for the levees there may have been better spent on an adjustable dam upstream. Logs are renewable tho so whatever.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SettingSun posted:

and it makes trucks go out of their way to dump the 1 dirt it has before it will deliver the 19 ore or whatever. The rest of the update slaps of course.
But it also did that before the update, but now it can drop off the iron on the way back instead of having to go back to the mine.

And the solution is the same as before the update: Set up a bin for each material near the mining tower to dump everything into and let the general trucks take care of moving it away from there when there is enough for a full truck.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!
Lipstick Apathy
yeah an adjustable dam with a deep riverbed lets you have water and waterwheel power forever basically, it owns

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I wish the beaver game was less washed out brown and green, the aesthetics really bother me and I don't want to spend hours staring at that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've tried to maximize my waterflow for my four large water wheels by narrowing the channel a bit with levees, and I've noticed what has got to be a bug, because two of my water wheels are still spinning gradually and generating like 120hp of power...5 days into a drought.

I'll take it :shrug:

You might find you get surprisingly persistent eddies in the water, but they usually do settle down after a while.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm severely disappointed they didn't code this behavior in CoI (image stolen from the steam forums).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I keep running out of wood in Timberborn on Prairie. I hit a bottleneck where I use up all the trees near me, the forested ones seem to cost wood to make, and then I succumb to a drought. The original stands don't seem to grow back.

I'm sure I just need to forest harder, and I guess plant birch instead of pine like the tutorial said. I'll have to restart, because I flooded my original base with the levee I was barely able to eek out. :v: