Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

Regarding the COI-chat:
Wasn't there a map generator or editor announced? The current maps all seem to be gimmick maps.
Understandable from a dev point of view, but ... I'm having a hard time actually pushing myself to start a new game with update 1.

Yes, but they weren't able to get it done and wanted to get update 1 out for the anniversary, so it's been pushed to a later update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

Which is funny because I asked my wife who is from that area about why Immortals fly around on swords like they are skateboards in both that game and in some wuxia MMOs and we can't really figure it out because it's not really a genre staple.

Amazing Cultivation Simulator is based off of the Xianxia genre of Chinese fantasy, which is considerably higher fantasy than Wuxia.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Wipfmetz posted:

Is... is that a water pump powering an array of waterwheels to power the pump?

:unsmigghh:

Also, everytime I see your AV, I get that itch for picking up Clonk again, Jesus Christ.

OwlFancier posted:

That may actually be possible because pumps have a set (but quite high) power cost so if you put enough wheels behind it you could make perpetual motion (until the water evaporates)

Beaver science exceeds dwarf science in some ways.

I should have probably googled it before making my beavers work on this feat of insanity, but perpetual power generation is apparently possible, but incredibly space-inefficient. From watching a YouTube video on it, single-tile-wide water channels with regular water wheels only yield about 25hp max with the current from one water pump. My stupid setup began with 36 wheels along the length of the artificial channel, but I had to tear down some to elevate the initial source, so it should be around 32 wheels or so, I think. I guess I also didn't "optimize" my aqueduct, so my wheels only yield between 21-23hp sustained, so this dumb setup goes between a +-30hp net gain/loss.

Since my gravity batteries are 32k hph apiece and I have 9 of them, I can sustain a draw of 1500hp for an 8-day-drought, so that fluctuation is pretty much negligible, especially since there's still the 200-260hp phantom-power from my unexplainable eddies.
The unintentional benefit to my dumb aqueduct is that it has made a HUGE SWATH of land irrigated now, which I'm kinda suprised about, I thought water needed to flow over a dirt tile to "cause" irrigation of the surrounding tiles, but apparently even a channel made entirely of levees still irrigates surrounding tiles.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah irrigation mostly cares about height, it won't irrigate uphill very far but I think the idea is that water above the tiles will sort of flow down into the ground.

Pipes would be a nice addition to timberborn, or some other way of building a proper aqueduct even if they have for forbid water flow under it as well.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, everytime I see your AV, I get that itch for picking up Clonk again, Jesus Christ.
Which, depending on your choice of scenario and willingness to strech definitions, might even fit into this thread.

OwlFancier posted:

Pipes would be a nice addition to timberborn, or some other way of building a proper aqueduct even if they have for forbid water flow under it as well.
Does Timberborn model water pressure?
If it doesn't, you might actually play around with "tunnels" through an aquaeduct...

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 4, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I can tell timberborn simulates water purely by height over terrain, which means it does not actually support having "holes" in dams for water to go through, only "spillways" in the sense they must be a solid layer of water blocking cubes on the bottom all the way to bedrock, then a gap clear all the way to the sky above.

So it simulates pressure in that if you try to force a whole river through a 1 tile gap, it will back up until it achieves enough height to achieve equilibrium of throughput. But there is absolutely no provision for moving water below "solid" terrain, so you can't actually limit flow at all other than by using the 1 tile trick.

The game allows you to build walkable terrain and objects above water by making most buildings and structural elements not actually block water flow, and you are not allowed to build water blocking elements above the water.

If they wanted to add pipes or any sort of flow regulation it would likely need to be quite restrictive and use an entirely different simulation model. There are things that do this, the mechanical water pumps delete water at the bottom and add it at the top, so they could probably make a system to allow "piped" water with pressure simulation, but it would need to be separate from the normal simulation that the flowing water uses. They could also presumably make blocks that let you set limited throughput through the base of a dam which would be very helpful but I think again, it would need to be a special case in how it's handled.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 4, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2287430/Metropolis_1998/ seems neat

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just make believe that small irrigations Channels are abstracted out of the game

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Those buildings look like they belong in an X-COM: UFO Defense terror mission, something about them just looks so much like the buildings in those missions, except much prettier and more detailed.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

AG3 posted:

Those buildings look like they belong in an X-COM: UFO Defense terror mission, something about them just looks so much like the buildings in those missions, except much prettier and more detailed.

Oh yeah, definitely.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Anyone try Definitely Not Fried Chicken? since it came out?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Unkempt posted:

Hmm, what to research next? Nuclear power or sausages?

Uh, the answer is obviously both :wink:

E: Something I need to try, is whether the solid houses for the forktails will block water, since they don't REQUIRE fully solid supports. I recall building them to the sides of a waterfall in a previous version and appearing to block water that way, but I never got around to trying to block things off to force an underground river / multi level dam.

Double E: I finally ended up playing and beating riftbreaker. I'm not sure how much replayability there is (it would be nice if the 'you choose not to return' ending actually did have 'do science on all things and only have non-drilling harvesting' as real objectives). I will say that after beating on normal and then trying survival mode on hard, yikes, I'm not very good at it.

It's definitely a fantastic game for people who enjoyed the combat pressure aspect of factorio but hated all of the conveyor belt puzzle mechanics, since there's a lot of letting magic technology take care of relevant distribution, but it still felt like it wasn't QUITE deep enough. I haven't tried the DLC although I suspect it's pretty good too.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 4, 2023

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Now I kind of want a business management sim set in the X-Com: Apocalypse city, where alien invasion is constantly happening in the background and members of your board of directors are occasionally replaced by greys.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Galick posted:

I haven't played since release and I don't see a reason to before the roadmap features of courier gameplay that doesn't suck and combat that isn't a handful of unfair scripted encounters are added in.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
In anno 1801 do the AI cheat or can you actually do a blockade to an island and keep it from functioning?

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

kneelbeforezog posted:

In anno 1801 do the AI cheat or can you actually do a blockade to an island and keep it from functioning?

The AI cheats. They'll just build stuff with or without resources.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

Shivers posted:

The AI cheats. They'll just build stuff with or without resources.

Thats too bad, is there a management game like anno where you can cripple your enemy with blockades or destroying their supply chain?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, Timberborn is just so drat good :allears:

The district stuff works so much better now.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1989070/Synergy/

Pharaoh meets Moebius.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kneelbeforezog posted:

Thats too bad, is there a management game like anno where you can cripple your enemy with blockades or destroying their supply chain?

I would also like a game where you could cripple an AI's supply chain but also the AI has to be smart enough to be able to recover from it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Jack Trades posted:

I would also like a game where you could cripple an AI's supply chain but also the AI has to be smart enough to be able to recover from it.

There’s Offworld Trading Company! It isn’t really like Anno at all though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Galick posted:

It has some decent parts and the overall idea is good but the execution is pretty eh. Cashflow is generally too low to really expand at a decent clip and as a result you spend a lot of time just waiting for money to come in. There are things that you can do to improve the quality of the drugs you sell but they cost so much to run that you're better off just trying for an economy of scale. You also do occasionally (although very rarely) get hit by enemies who kill all your workers because combat is poo poo, as was said above. Workers are cheap to replace though so you just get your workforce replaced once in a while, nbd

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Galick posted:

I've looked at it a few times but what people above me said kinda keeps me from giving it a good shot (yet, hopefuilly it improves.) I'm bummed it doesn't hit super hard because I just finished Better Call Saul. :/

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2134770/SteamWorld_Build/ this seems like a fun conceit. above ground it's a regular ole city builder, but to advance your technology and skills you need to delve underground, where it becomes dungeon keeper???? great pairing, hope it turns out good

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The demo for that was ok. Didn’t seem that deep or complex but maybe that’s just how the demo projected the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2134770/SteamWorld_Build/ this seems like a fun conceit. above ground it's a regular ole city builder, but to advance your technology and skills you need to delve underground, where it becomes dungeon keeper???? great pairing, hope it turns out good

I like the idea. Will it have Early Access?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Jack Trades posted:

all i saw was an article on pcgamer about it and knew it'd be a good fit for this thread, but i dont have any more information than you do beyond the game's existence

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Jack Trades posted:

The Steamworld games have never done Early Access in the past; there's no indication they'll do it this time around.

I love the entire Steamworld series -- they're always different genres (Dig 1/2 is a Metroidvania-like, Heist is a turn-based tactical game, and Quest is a card-based RPG) but tend to nail them every time.

The new game appears to be a city builder mashed up with Dungeon Keeper, so definitely a fit for this thread.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
There was a demo for Steamworld: Build during one of the steamfests and I really liked it, even if the Anno part was a bit shallow the underground was much more interesting than I expected.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So you’re saying the underground part wasn’t shallow? :dadjoke:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Ugh, shame. I guess I'll keep waiting to see if it ever updates to not have poo poo combat. Thanks folks!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Timberborn: Finally got a handle on the basics and can survive a drought more or less intact, though I ran out of food during an 8 day one and had a big die back. Dammed the river on plains and made a big levee to keep it from going behind the hills and flooding me out the long way and I'm pretty pleased with that bit. Hitting a bottleneck with gear production so I probably need to figure out the cheese tactics for water wheels but I've been eeking out enough gears to get bread going and my food stocks have ballooned.

I can see why people say mid-game is kind of aimless. I feel like I'm just waiting for things to get built or for a drought to end so I can get my industries back.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The only real thing I have issue with in COI at this point is food production. Farming feels like the least fun system in the game for me to engage with, between the amount of space needed for farms, the vagaries of food output based on rotation and fertility, and the need to sort everything if you put it on belts--which you'll want to do at any sort of scale. It all just comes together in a way that feels janky and unknowable, and I'm honestly more inclined to overbuild and dispose of waste rather than try to balance everything and then have to rebalance things when my population grows.

It's more fun to Grapes of Wrath my farm products than try to figure out the production chains is what I'm saying.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Warmachine posted:

The only real thing I have issue with in COI at this point is food production. Farming feels like the least fun system in the game for me to engage with, between the amount of space needed for farms, the vagaries of food output based on rotation and fertility, and the need to sort everything if you put it on belts--which you'll want to do at any sort of scale. It all just comes together in a way that feels janky and unknowable, and I'm honestly more inclined to overbuild and dispose of waste rather than try to balance everything and then have to rebalance things when my population grows.

It's more fun to Grapes of Wrath my farm products than try to figure out the production chains is what I'm saying.
Farming has a weird drag to it in normal play because you eventually get enough crop processing tools to cut out large amounts of the raw materials chain if not for space restraints.

But knowing that gives you the same conclusion, you're meant to turn it all into industrial products and let people eat the trim off the top.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you want to use belts with farms? They and the markets are intrinsically sized so that you can pick up full truckloads which is what you use trucks for. Belts can be used for anything but they seem to be preferential for things which move tiny amounts of stuff short distances, i.e production lines.

I'm sure you could add some belts but it would be low on the list of priorities.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Jack Trades posted:

The problem with being able to cripple the AIs supply chain is that if the supply chain is in any way complex the AI is very likely to cripple their own supply chain without your involvement.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm having a hard time making my trucks behave smartly in Captains of Industry. At all of my major quarries, I build dedicated storage silos for 1) dirt and 2) rock. I did this because I got fed up of my trucks hauling rear end half way across the map to dump their waste into the ocean to expand my island. I thought the storage silos would fix this issue: trucks would immediately dump their waste nearby, and then drop their useful products off much quicker.

Nope. It only works briefly, but once the loose storage fills up, they go back to dumping it in the ocean half the map away. If I set the loose storage to "keep empty", the trucks will fill it up to that mark and then refuse to use it once it hits that limit and will again go to dump at the ocean. How the hell do I set it up so the trucks always prioritise dumping in the loose storage, and then other trucks (not assigned to the mining excavators) come and keep the storages from filling up?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jinnigan posted:

i finished the demo and it's very good

above ground it's a Steamworld Anno, underground it's a Steamworld Keeper

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Qubee posted:

I'm having a hard time making my trucks behave smartly in Captains of Industry. At all of my major quarries, I build dedicated storage silos for 1) dirt and 2) rock. I did this because I got fed up of my trucks hauling rear end half way across the map to dump their waste into the ocean to expand my island. I thought the storage silos would fix this issue: trucks would immediately dump their waste nearby, and then drop their useful products off much quicker.

Nope. It only works briefly, but once the loose storage fills up, they go back to dumping it in the ocean half the map away. If I set the loose storage to "keep empty", the trucks will fill it up to that mark and then refuse to use it once it hits that limit and will again go to dump at the ocean. How the hell do I set it up so the trucks always prioritise dumping in the loose storage, and then other trucks (not assigned to the mining excavators) come and keep the storages from filling up?

1) You need to research Advanced Logistics. This will let you say “all trucks assigned to this mining tower, dump your stuff here, here, and here”. Edit: you do that by clicking on the mining tower and press the + in the export section, then clicking on the storage bin.

2) For the dirt and rock, you need *two* storage bins for each, usually I use the T2 bins and just connect them directly to each other. Have the mining tower trucks dump dirt in the first one. DO NOT set the slider to keep it full, just don’t touch the slider. Set the second one to keep empty and your generic trucks will empty it.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Qubee posted:

I believe this is what the advanced logistics routes are for. So presumably set the mine tower to export to the silos, then assign the silos either their own trucks, or possibly to go to another mine tower covering your dumping zone? I haven't really tried it.