Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Could you add this guy into the OP?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG8R0GUoXJVqN4lZhS46LiQ

His W&R:SR playthrough is pretty thorough (I'm about 3/4 through and he's uploading regularly) and I understand he's a City Planner IRL, quite a few other games on his list too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Sorry was in a bad place yesterday. I'll add the YT'er. Just be sure to recommend YT'ers that at least have good diction and whose videos don't meander all over the place.

I've put that guy in the W&R thread but I thought he might be interesting to a wider audience as he's also got a Cities : Skylines LP as well as one for Airport CEO. The guy being an actual City Planner is pretty cool, he's pretty thoughtful with what he's doing. Warning - he has a pronounced South African accent.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Mayveena posted:

I'm in!. Watch Sky Storme's mini look at NIMBY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f0-G37Ll6o Boy, two possibly awesome management games coming out in a week! NIMBY and Dyson's sphere. Can't wait!

Oh god I can see me losing many hours of sleep playing NIMBY Rails

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Zero One posted:

I picked up NIMBY and while there isn't much game there yet it really scratches the itch of wanting to fix your hometown transit.

My only immediate needs are more charts and info to track how well your lines are doing. The current information display really doesn't cut it.

Also the real-time speed of the game and maximum sim rate being quite low means that it's very difficult to earn enough money to build your plans.

My current plan:

I've got only some of red, yellow, and blue built after spending $1 billion.

Edit: I started recreating the Disney Monorail. Now to expand it.

I realise this is from a couple of pages back but I managed to click with NIMBYRails today after bouncing off it a couple of times.

A bit of advice when starting the game is to take the biggest loan you can get ($3bn) over the longest time period possible (10 years). The initial $1bn you start with is tied to a 5 year loan, so pay that off immediately. You will have to fund a repayment of around $31m every month from the new loan which is pretty easy.

In my game so far I have just built London-Birmingham & London-Bristol. Each line has around 10 intermediate stops and cost in the region of $600m to build. Both of these lines are pulling in around $10m a day for me so the $31m monthly loan repayment is something like 5% of my profit.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

is nimby only passenger rails or do they do freight too

Only passenger

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

frogge posted:

Nimby rails is fun but if you're playing with money on it sucks to basically make the tiniest regional line and then wait as you run the clock out until the loan is repaid so you can start expanding on your own dime without debt.

Edit: I could charge $69 per trip and $4.20 per km but it's a city metro line and that would kinda break any immersion.

You need longer distance routes to make any real money I think. Try something at least 100miles/160km in length with a few intermediate stops, the debt repayments quickly become a non-factor.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I've been putting a chunk of time into NIMBYRails and I'm really enjoying it so far and making gobs of cash. I left the game running for an in game weekday and made something like 375m, I've added a fair bit since then.

I don't think I've actually gone further than 125 miles from London in any direction yet.

The demand seems way out of whack in the current build though, quite why there's >700 people sitting at St Pancras waiting for a train to Edmonton at 2.45pm on a Tuesday is beyond me.

biglads fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 27, 2021

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Volmarias posted:

How is the supply and demand of passengers generated, anyway? Does it understand the concept of City vs Not City? Are population densities vaguely real?

Via population density and time of day, only via population density and yes, the population densities are fairly real.

biglads fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 28, 2021

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

barnold posted:

my most successful NIMBY save without unlimited money toggled on. I pretty much stopped playing completely since the last time I posted about it but it just got a bunch of new fixes in the latest patch so I started a new game. recreating what could have been if northern New England didn't tear up all its rail

He's been pushing out a lot of tweaks and QoL improvements and it's come quite a way since release. My London & surrounding areas game is starting to chug a little due to the sheer number of trains. The fastest speed (no map or UI) is barely quicker than the one below now.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

barnold posted:

That save game is now totally hosed because I found out the hard way that there is no train pathfinding AI whatsoever. There is no programming to account for lines that converge at a station and then split again at all. Trains just enter junctions and stop and block stations and that's it for your train system. I get that it's programmed by a single dude but like not having even a rudimentary "don't enter a junction unless the track ahead is clear" is a pretty massive oversight for a game that's exclusively built around trains and advertised as being a way to test realistic fantasy rail networks. Signals need to be made priority #1 imo

I saw that this was causing problems for people watching on YouTube and I basically cheesed my way around it by running parallel tracks everywhere. Most of my suburban services are running at around a 5 minute frequency and I knew that squeezing too many services onto single platforms or stretches of track was going to be problematic. It's easy enough to make money in this game so the extra cost doesn't really factor in except for maybe at the start. Makes for some gruesome looking stations though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

K8.0 posted:

I think a resort builder/manager could be good. A pirate island/bay game could also be great. Some sort of mobile naval arcology thing could be cool too, like a ship that people live on.

I'd quite like a Stadium Builder/Renovator game. Different sports, different ground restrictions etc etc. That would be very much my thing.