Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The goal is managing to minimize the number of lost limbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I should give Kenshi another go. My 2-3 playthroughs all got to the point where I had a pack of 6-10 decently combat trained ronin and I started scouting for a place to build a homestead before I inevitably get distracted by some other game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Pretty sure Parkitect was in development (as Theme Parkitect) before Planet Coaster was announced.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Please stop talking about this Dyson Sphere game. I've got enough games clamoring for my attention. :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Do planets in DSP have limited amount of resources? I've seen a few screenshots where there seem to be resource quantities listed. Or is that what you currently have in reserve?

I'm talking about stuff like:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Dr. Stab posted:

Yeah. Each node has a fixed amount of resources on it. Once you mine out all the nodes, no more resources on the planet.

Thats a bit of a turnoff at first glance. I realize there are a lot of planets you can set up on and probably more resources than you'll ever need, but the idea is still slightly off-putting.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok, I guess I'll cave on DSP.

How significant is stars not being attached to what I presume are the travel lines? Am I gonna be in trouble if a rare star type (black hole, neutron star, white dwarf) isn't connected to the network? I assume they might have some kind of special purpose/resource.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

As someone who never played Factorio (didn't like how it looks, its a me problem, I know) and only played Satisfactory a bit. I find myself greatly frustrated by these inserters. I wish I could just run the belts straight into the machines.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

*fist pumps*

yes

So my first thought is "I wonder if you can succeed by just running a legit fast food chain". :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I’d also like to point out that it’s totally possible to build golf courses in Golftopia without all the silly gizmos like pinball bumpers and dash pads and stuff and still have a successful and popular “traditional” style golf course.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kvlt! posted:

my dream management game would be a OOTP/ Football/Motorsport manager style game but for boxing

There is a company that does this for Wrestling and MMA, so I thought to check, sadly they don’t have one for boxing, sorry.

I’ve actually been playing their latest wrestling game and enjoying myself. I made a brief post about my game in another thread on SA’s punchsports subforum.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well if it’s anything like the wrestling ones fans have made databases with real life fighters/promotions.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

By the cost amount, IIRC. So basically more expensive decorations are "nicer".

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Grevlek posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/732050/Voxel_Tycoon/

Seems right up the thread's alley. Anyone have any first impressions?

Its not out yet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Disappointing Pie posted:

Are there any modern space games out there where you build up a mining empire? It’s hard to describe what I’m looking for but something with good graphics and where you can mine and trade and create a corporation and it’s not Eve online lol?

X4 Foundations might be worth looking into but a few semi obscure alternatives might be Avorion (a sandbox space game kinda like X4 but less detailed and you build the ships out of blocks with varying degrees of intricateness... or just download poo poo off the workshop) or Astrox Imperium (which is kinda like "EVE Offline")

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah I looked into Astrox a while back and it definitely seemed very EVE Offline, so I'm not surprised it ultimately is kinda dull (if you find EVE dull, at least).

Honestly I've been playing X4 lately and really struggling with it, part of it is just being too used to X3's different kind of Jank. That and maybe I just don't have the patience for X-series Jank anymore. I wish there was a better alternative out there.

[edit] I'll say this though, X4 has a great soundtrack, just like the X3 games.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 15, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Motorsport Manager is the only one I'm familiar with. It was pretty decent IMO, though I never played more than a single season.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

One of the two brothers devs is a loving nazi and they recently quietly added him back to the team after he went away for a while.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Looks like you forgot to delete an old two-way signal when you double-tracked it. Try remove that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I haven't played Mashinky in ages but it has a very "board game" like economy. All commodities are represented as tokens and you earn those tokens by properly shipping them (PAX earns cash tokens). The thing is you don't just buy things with straight up money tokens, you need to use other resource tokens as well, so an LNER train might need coal and steel tokens to buy, but no money tokens. Maintenance/running costs is also paid in various kinds of tokens (mostly coal IIRC). Only the most basic train(s) run on Money solely.

It also had a tech-tree that would unlock new stuff (mostly trains? it was pretty bare when I tried shortly after it launched int EA) but it was mostly for getting ahead of the curve, as tech will eventually unlock with the passage of time if I remember right?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I was about to say “Running with Rifles” but then I saw the comments on building stuff. it’s basically too down battlefield and has no real logistics or productions. Closest you can get is setting up defensive barricades/cover and stationary weapons.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

skooma512 posted:

You my friend want Foxhole.

Running with Rifles, but massively MP. Logistics are explicitly part of the game. You have to keep your bunkers supplied so people can spawn there, as well as supplied with ammo and weapons. You can even to drive a truck from a factory in the back all the way to the front :v:

There's a Goon group in too

You want to read the post above mine. ;)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

There is a goon thread for foxhole here

skooma512 posted:

Ah my bad.

No worries. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

zedprime posted:

it's so unique and just hits a spot I thought was given up on after Dwarf Fort added z levels.

I might have to give this a try, cause I really miss the 2D days of DF. I just miss the whole layout with the underground river, chasm, lava river, HFS. I’ve tried going back but ugh the old interface is such a pain. I’d kill for a versions of 2D DF that’s got a lot of the improvements/changes (especially UI) made since the z-axis was added.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Volmarias posted:

... Sorry, am I correctly interpretations that hooking the toilets output up to your hand sinks input is not only ok, but in fact encouraged?

Stuff like this and “you can sterilize a sealed tank of water by flooding the room it is in with chlorine gas that can’t reach the water” is why I cannot play ONI. My brain just refuses to deal with this stuff lol. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That’s why I just keep Succulents. They’re very resistant to my idiocy. :v:

Appropriately there is a game about succulents called Viridi. https://store.steampowered.com/app/375950/Viridi/

Not much to manage though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

When I played during early access it was completely possible to build popular and good courses by making traditional holes without using any of the weird gimmick stuff. I wonder if that eventually changed?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

HopperUK posted:

The knock-on effect of the Early Access boom that amuses me most is the people who will claim that a game is 'abandonware' or 'dead' because it is finished. Like, sometimes if a game doesn't get updates two years after release it's because it's just done, but you wouldn't know that if you glance in the steam forums.

AKA the Banished effect. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Been playing Foundation the last few nights and I swear this thing is a time machine that just teleports me foward to 1am.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

There is a mod for Foundation to let you manually place homes, afaik.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Eric the Mauve posted:

And if you play it, get the mod that removes the incredibly stupid "you have to choose one of the three city flavors early and you get locked out of the other two" thing that got tacked on a couple versions ago for no evident reason.

Yeah that mechanic is annoying and I’ll probably mod it out in any potential future playthrough, buts it’s also not thaaat bad when you are aware of it. The labor and clergy trees both have perk traits you can get that make everyone less jealous assholes and at the point I’m currently at in my first game, I’ve got pretty much everyone happy and unlocked basically everything but everyone’s final tier of stuff (which is all “Coming Soon!” Labeled anyways besides the clergy’s Abbatical Church monument).

I did get kinda locked out by it at first and had to do some gamey things (making a overwrought church cheesing clergy splendor that I immediately tore down after picking up the penalty reduction perks) so yeah, it’s definitely a nasty little pit you can stumble over and I would not shed tears for it’s removal. I just wanna chill and build a nice medieval tower and outplaying villages, not deal with that balancing act.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 24, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Foundation definitely has its annoying points, but overall I'm really just enjoying it as a relatively chill "make a pretty medieval landscape" sandbox.

Really happy with the monastery I built as tonight's project.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Algorithm is terrible god and has much to answer for.

Warmachine posted:

One of my favorite parts about these kinds of games is people showing off their work :3: Keep going!

Thanks. :shobon:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I still don’t like that ONI feels like like you have to know exploits so you can under engineer things. I really like the mod that adds a proper airlock door, but then I’m using tons of power on doors. I want to build elaborate HVAC that cleans and stores gasses like chlorine for when/where I need them, but you end up having like 4 high power machines just to do stuff like that, and it takes a ton of room with piping.

That’s not necessary, almost any of it, but it’s how I *want* to engineer stuff and the game kind of punishes it.

The thing that broke my brain, and it refuses to get over or accept, is that surrounding a sealed, airtight metal tank of dirty water with chlorine atmosphere somehow sterilizes the water inside.
I'm sorry, I just can't get over it. :negative:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Volmarias posted:

We have also played Stationeers.

I haven't :shobon: But I have been thinking of picking it up. Maybe in the sale coming up in a couple weeks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

From what I’ve seen the “cards” in Card Survival are pretty much just presentation. It’s not like you get randomly dealt “forage”, “fishing” or “woodcutting” action cards or anything like that. A card is just your Stone axe, or a fishing rod, or a pile of wood. And you use the axe on a tree to chop wood and then throw that wood into your fire.

No card game mechanics at all, certainly not deck building. They’re basically just icons representing objects and resources. The closest you get is resources being randomly found (one might say “dealt”) as you explore a location.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

SettingSun posted:

You say that but I have an incredible nostalgia for the original 2d iteration of DF and prefer it in many aspects. Primarily in its simplicity. Mostly nostalgia though.

I agree. Sometimes I miss the “underground river, the chasm, the lava river, the HFS” format.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Personally I never had trouble envisioning 2D dwarf fortress as digging deep and down nor imagining those rooms were grand halls with high ceilings and such where appropriate.

Its neat you can actually build massive hauls in modern DF, but its also kind of a pain in the rear end to actually do that lol.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Riatsala posted:

[Factorio is] a deeply ugly game to me

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Between that and the dev being a shitter, I've never had much interest in it.

Currently struggling to get going in Dyson Sphere Program. Its just kinda overwhelming with all the different resources and products and intermediary products and everything.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Noir89 posted:

Counterpoint: Having spent x hours getting the resource flows planned, location found, built and planned out the floors and then the machines on the floors together with the logistics between the manufacturing lines, set it all up and then built the internal powergrid just to get the reward of turning it all on and watch it just work is amazing and what makes the game a ton more fun than the boring"plop down blueprint I downloaded from the net" x times from Factorio or DSP!

edit: Then if you are me you discover you had forgotten to account for the extra power and everything dies. But hey! That means you now get to plan an extension of one of your powerplants or even a completely new one! With the reward being the satisfying "CHUNK" of booting it all up again with the power switch!

I'm actually doing this myself in DSP right now, lol. Spent all evening designing this drat thing and I found out I got my ratios wrong. Oh well, it makes enough!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I made my first self-designed major factory block. Producing Logistics Drones/Bots. Was feeling quite satisfied with myself for fitting it in my desired area until I turned it on and realized I was only making half the thrusters the logistic drones needs. :cripes: I totally missed that it uses 2 thrusters per craft and not 1. :negative: The only other thing I'm not satisfied with is the fact the desired dimensions meant I needed 3 different Logi Bot mini-towers to supply the proliferators. Still, it works well, and ~50 PLS drones a minute is probably more than enough for my needs anyways. And this is just Mk1 gear production levels (before I tested the proliferator).