Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Bhodi posted:

... And since there's no easter eggs or anything to find while exploring on any of the other planets, ...
Technically untrue! There's a single hidden real-life space probe or spacecraft on you can track down and excavate on every planet. It was fun the first time.
(It was not fun to do much beyond that)

quote:

... the drive to explore is super limited beyond a huge grind to unlock the "end game" goal which just rolls the credits. ...
Yep! I built a heavy earthmoving miner I could pack into the rocket and brought it with me to every planet to address that. Got a bit dull after #3. Probably lots more fun to play with basebuilding and mucking about with a buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

KakerMix posted:

... information and how it's being presented. ...

While I appreciate it's a non-trivial challenge to curate a list of youtubers you yourself are not familiar with, I would second the notion that sub count is hardly the single most important factor. Popular channels are more likely to stick around, true, but they may also be targeting their content for mass appeal and sensationalist content, rather than the sort of higher quality content more typical of SA LP or similar.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

The game at first glance looks like Satisfactory in voxel block world. The kicker? It's version 0.2 and it already has mass construction of foundations by click and drag band-boxing.

Here's a trailer to feed everyone's factory game habit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Udyv0KaUs

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go back to Satisfactory, Oxygen Not Included, Factorio, Dyson Sphere Program

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

I've been watching a Stationers stream lately and that game is a FUCKIN CRAZY hobby grade HVAC bonsai tree builder.
I've read this line four times and I'm having a hard time parsing your metaphor. Hobby grade does not sound high? You mean 'enthusiast', perhaps?

KirbyKhan posted:

I have lost all concept of other space station survive alikes.

So, good?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Grevlek posted:

Weekly Eve Chatter. I haven't made a powerpoint in like a month, so I thought this might be fun.

https://pdfhost.io/v/v2oC8aY7T_Weekly_Investor_Call.pdf

I provided a document for the shareholders to explain the Bluth Boys and what we are up to. We spell out the accounts we use, and the flowchart of how money moves through the company.

Well, was the board impressed with your presentation?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I don't think I'm likely to try Timberborn this month, but it is certainly amusing to read about.

Also new thread title.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

That Guy Bob posted:

I too pull out my credentials so I can win internet arguments. Also don't sign your posts.

They were trying to end the dumb derail about computer game software versioning, which can only be considered a good thing. Get out of here Stalker.

Unrelated, I've started playing DSP again and oh my goodness does the sphericality (yes it's a word now) and the verticality of belts and stackable facilities make it feel like a much different game. It's been hard fighting my instincts and building differently, since starting belts carry such little material. I'm enjoying it much more than previously, I think mostly since I haven't been playing Factorio or Satisfactory for a few months my factory brain has rewired itself.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

But... this is already my favourite management game thread? Where else can I learn about Soviet labour relations, the sex lives of beavers, and metropolitan scale traffic planning all in one place?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Absolutely despise the storyline and am so glad there's a free-play. Seriously, it's one of those stories that presents you dozens of choices only to reveal literally none of those choices mean anything. Not even really initial bonuses. Literally does all of those pseudo-diverging paths and then asks "Do you want to chose the good, neutral or bad ending?" at the end.

Jack Trades posted:

When it comes to the campaign, I was impressed by how it had a story branching choice that actually had a massive impact on the gameplay.

Is it indeed the case that these non-choices had any effect on gameplay? Beyond minor things like +1 to water, or -1 maintenance etc or whatever.

I was one (of many?) here who found the game demo had promise but were soured by the terrible writing and frustrated with the inefficient agent based (early game?) transport network.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

This is a good thread.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

explosivo posted:

Jumplight Odyssey seems fun but I think I ran into a few bugs and confusing UI stuff so onto the wishlist it goes!

It does NOT like ultrawide monitors.

(To be fair most games don't handle them well, but Jumplight got stuck on broken UI in the unskippable tutorial.)

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

So I haven't played Techtonica yet so forgive my question, but what is the specific part about the research system that puts people off?

Are techs or tech levels unlocked by having X number of variously coloured spheres present in the your base? Like 'put down 10 purple spheres to unlock smelter mk 2'?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Anyone in the thread playing 'Surviving the Abyss'?

It is still very much in EA, and has some ... issues? I've never managed to get a colony to a steady state condition. Which I figure is the point, given it's effectively a hostile-environment colony-builder.

It seems the various hurdles are:
Sufficient power and oxygen production
Sufficient housing and food production
Steady state fuel supply
Sufficient colonists and deep-sea 'habitat sample' supply.
All the while maintaining research point production sufficient to unlock everything needed for the above.
Then... I presume gaining enough construction materials and samples to unlock more advanced items and doodads.

I started an 'Easy' game which I think is going well, except that a third of my basic colonists are stuck in a mystery void and cannot be assigned to jobs. They're supposedly unavailable due 'requiring a dock to transfer' but still costing me morale due to being unemployed and eating food without being productive.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Tobermory posted:

Surviving the Abyss is also pretty good. The "requires a dock" message means that your base isn't contiguous and hooked up with corridors. If you ever played Surviving Mars before the passages update, the early/mid game is very much the same -- the goal is to make many small, self-sufficient bases scattered across the map.

Hmm. How I managed to segment my base with workers on both sides is perhaps a question. This explanation does fit, but I don't know how it could have came about.

We'll see. I haven't quite got to the 'many small self sufficient bases' yet, but here's hoping.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

I know people who have been playing Starsector on and off for a decade +

I would recommend Starsector to anyone who plays PC games. And many who don't.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I played the Dotage demo until 2am. I regret this only slightly.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

euphronius posted:

I’ve never understood a factorio circuit. Ever

You may or may not want to watch the following.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWLKA5zRrQ0

I'm linking it mostly because Dosh is an absurd nerd and makes moderately approachable content. Sometimes.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Foundry release May 2nd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plYj39zccs8

The trailer tells me I gave up on this game too soon.... (I have the itchio version)

What does it have over satisfactory x minecraft? It looks like it will have the same problems of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Introductory price $24?

Wikipedia posted:

Dollar is the name of more than 25 currencies. The United States dollar, named after the international currency known as the Spanish dollar, was established in 1792 and is the first so named that still survives. Others include the Australian dollar, Brunei dollar, Canadian dollar, Eastern Caribbean dollar, Hong Kong dollar, ...