Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Please dear god let us easily dispose of bodies permenantly, I am begging you :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Picked up Hammerting on a drunken whim last night, will be digging into it later. I don't need an exhaustive guide, but a few tips on any trap choices/placements to avoid are appreciated.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Well that was a fun first session, I can already tell I'll be restarting at some point to better use my spaces and time. Next step when I play again is dwellings, mostly cause I'm not really sure how best to do them. The footprint for them seems absolutely massive, like as big as the farm. How the hell do I do these efficiently?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

knob posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread, but my PC completely bricked on me and I'm stuck on an ancient laptop (intel HD 3000) for a while. Any recommendations for low spec games? Anything from Civ-like, dungeon keeper-like, Factorio* like, or even rogue like/lite (like Wayward) survival? I've downloaded OTTD, but haven't really tried to play it yet.

*factorio actually works well on this, but I've played so much of it I'm interested in other recommendations

Someone answer this but also give me tips or something about how the hell I'm supposed to layout these massive dwellings in Hammerting.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want Rimworld but it's never on sale, at least for an impulse buy. One of these days...

The dev doesn't do sales. Like at all. So unless you get real shady, the best you'll ever see is the occasional 10% off. The lowest it has ever been is $29, and that was once on one single store, otherwise its only ever been 10%. If you want it, you just gotta buy it.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Finding myself slipping into shapez.io inbetween working on my dwarfhold in hammerting. Really soothing to have literally no pressure or constraints so I can just slap down whatever and just go, then tear it all up with no cost.

And congrats on manufacturing your own little pink blob, KirbyKhan!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Jinnigan posted:

is there a written guide to playing hammerting somewhere? its different enough from DF/ONI that i can't quite get a handle on it on my own

Fall Down Terror has posted some basically mini guide tips before, but I found this one to be particularly useful. Once I got that stable foundation done, it made it a lot easier to parse other things and start figuring them out on my own.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

It's some seriously good chill fun if you like making pretty little town type games but also enjoy some puzzling

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo are on sale on Steam right now. I just picked up the Coaster bundle and it's a lot of fun so far. Planet Zoo seemed to get lower reviews, but I might pick that up too. Is it worth $22?

Depends on how much you liked actually working on animals exhibits in Zoo Tycoon 2 or doing scenery for Coasters.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

LLSix posted:

Can anyone recommend good Rimworld or ACS videos? Started watching LPs over lunch recently and those games seem likely to produce entertaining watching.

Pete Complete has one complete and one in progress Rimworld series that are really good.

I would also like to know about any ACS stuff, I wanna get back into it.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

lagidnam posted:

Has someone checked out the Urbek demo on steam?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1411740/Urbek/

It's a city builder but the distance between specific buildings matters a lot for them to evolve. It also looks nice even thought it's voxel based.

GamerZakh made a video of the demo and it seems to be way more complex than some of the other city builders where you just plop down what you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj1pulLY6eE

Its fun, at least to me, so thanks for pointing this out!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I really want to see endless mode, somehow, but thats mostly because I'm quite enjoying getting lost in the turns and just raking in increasing amounts of money each year. It hits a very, very specific set of buttons for me, so is basically perfect, QoL be damned.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

zedprime posted:

I think the dumb AI outfits would be totally OK if not combined with the incredibly simple, incredibly stupid front and territory system. I'm deciding this is the weirdest part of the whole game because it takes a ton of thought and clicks for something that doesn't really do anything beside increment a goal and pop cap measure which could be a very simple automatic creep or heatmap mechanic.

It wouldn't be fun to have it just spread out with 0 input like that. Literally part of the appeal for me, specifically, is finding out the best spots to exploit and figure out which person would be best to run a front for me and who is better off just paying protection. Going out and picking out corners and watching my empire grow off the back of that is what pulls me into this so hard, it really feels like I'm clawing my way up.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Meanwhile I just got my first taste of proper gang war, over a particularly juicy looking corner holding both a union office and a train station. After mobbing three of theirs and sending them to the morgue, including the leader, new head wants to talk peace. Gotta decide on that as well as if I'm ready to start a second source of booze via canada or not. drat it feels good to be a bootlegger.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Train stations are loving incredible holy poo poo. Once you get past the initial investment hump, spring is just open season on imported hooch. I'm paying $500 for nearly 300 cases of beer, or 110 cases of sparkling cider a pop, and the only limits seem to be ap, cash, and space to fit it all.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Splicer posted:

I want to play a roguelike death cult majesty in space where I create missions, agents take the missions, and I research and monetize the finds of the ones that come back.

So its not 100% the game you want (god do I know that feeling) but have you looked at Amazing Cultivation Simulator at all? You make and run your own sect, powering up disciples to send out and beat up rivals and steal their poo poo, ir plunder rare tombs and such. Then you use that stuff for even more power etc.

It's actually on sale right now, the new dlc just dropped.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

K8.0 posted:

It's a sadistic grind and anyone who pretends otherwise is lying to you. You don't enjoy that kind of stuff, don't try to force yourself to.

Or maybe you can not tell people what they do or don't like, and also not do these incredibly over the top takes on games. If you don't like a game, you can just say so, it doesn't have to be a "sadistic grind" you loon.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Mayveena posted:

The vids I watched made it look like a proof of concept game, not worth playing.

The Rock Paper Shotgun review also tore it to shreds.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

The new UI is a wonderful change for Foundation. Much easier to work with now.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

TitusGroen posted:

I generally wait between a few years to pick up new editions of OOTP or FM, with FM22 on the horizon, what do people think of this years improvements? (Is there a FM thread? I couldn't find one..)

Its over in the sports section of the forums. If you don't find it yourself, I'll link it here when I get to my desktop.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

OwlFancier posted:

Vanityposting some W&R to remind everyone it exists.

I'm finally gonna dig in and learn how to play it once the UI update lands (which is supposed to be this month sometime :pray:)

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

beats for junkies posted:

Hammerting updated today, and now has fishing, farming (it's no longer just "craft food and water at a farm building"), and dwarfs can haul stuff from water again, which was disabled recently for some reason. Plus experimental multiplayer if that's something you want in your dwarf colony sim (I don't, but some people might).

I mostly enjoyed the hammerting that I played, a couple patches back. But I'm not sure I'll do much more with it even after release next month, its just too annoying to build in. Every building just feels too big, the dwarf homes especially are loving gigantic, and that combined with a total lack of a visual gridguide makes it hell to try and plan out the Hold. The dwarves themselves were also pretty stupid which compounded the irritation.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Poil posted:

They said it was daft to build a base next to the swamp but I did it all the same just to show them!

Are there any management games where you play as nobility and have to manage an estate, deal with intrigue and get to build a lot of stuff?

My friend, have you heard of Crusader Kings?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Having a fun time with Evil Bank Manager again. It's probably (definitely) a lot more clicking than just standard buying wood/iron and making weapons, but its hilariously profitable to go in hard on luxuries. I regularly rake in 50k+ on a turn by selling topaz, tea, dyes, etc. I've got access to so many different luxury goods that something or other is always valuable at market.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I have loads of fun with it as a chill city builder/medieval township sculptor. It's not a hard game, the fun is really what you make of it and how much you enjoy watching your town slowly, but visibly, grow and evolve over time.

From a simple village

To a growing settlement with growing needs

Until eventually little homesteads and hamlets start branching off as the town develops.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Don't play ARK at all, especially not solo or with like, 1 or two other people. Its not a good game and it's also a game meant to played in groups of 40+, where someone will always be online and maintaining your poo poo.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Welp, guess I can take it off my wishlist then.

Any good traveling caravan style trading games these days? I'm working on learning Vagrus, but I'd also like something a little less... harsh.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Volmarias posted:

Replace the train wheels with giant gears that can grip those tie downs instead!

:hmmyes:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

So what I'm getting is that I have no reason to go back to hammerting now that its out, cause everything sounds way more annoying and frustrating than it already was.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Apparently I'm one of the weird ones for changing speeds a lot. I do it with basically everything, different times/things need diffetent speeds to be done best.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

V0.0.2a came out a week ago and is about fixing basic buildings. Something tells me the barely 2 week old game isn't ready to be played for 500 hours, or even 10 if its that early.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Its easy enough to get most of that, the stickler is the terrain changing. Its not done much, at least in the non-middling quality in my experience. Life is feudal forest village and like 4 other clones like it have terrain work, but its fiddly and takes ages of work for the pops, and all you really use it for is to make stuff perfectly flat so you can actually build on it.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 28, 2021

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Some people just need to be weirdly horny in everything or just random things they do. Sometimes its lovely wankbait games.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Grevlek posted:

thanks for the heads up sounds extremely my jam

:yeah:

I've been itching for some trading and also that's just wild sounding. Still looking for some travel trading though.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

To be honest, quite a few of y'all are more than a bit nuts for how quick you are to jump on day one EA releases just because they're managing things. My steam wishlist is 95% waiting for poo poo to actually come out for real.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I'm not referring to stuff thats been worked on for years or decades. I'm talking about the stuff that drops as v0.0.0.0.2 and instantly has people on top of it waaaaaay before its ready to even be called a demo. I'm not saying no one can buy EA games, but maybe give them like a month or two and see if they're actually worth even a casual glance.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Completing one if the first like, 3 objectives or w/e it calls them spawns two bears literally on top of you. This is claimed to be both a bug and also intended, depending on which dev answers the complaint at the time.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Least you're noticing the failure in the production line before everything falls to pieces :v:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

lordfrikk posted:

I also wish the devs weren't so against some automation or QoL features but calling it a pile of poo poo is a dumb hyperbole.

dumb histronic hyperbole is his entire schtick, also satisfactory killed his family or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

OwlFancier posted:

That said I am still keeping an eye on kenshi 2 in the hopes they manage to get rid of some of the jank by moving to unreal.

Some basic jank will probably slough away in the transition, but its still gonna be weird, hard to get to grips with, and sometimes brutally punishing because that's how the dev wants the world and setting and poo poo to be like. :thatskenshi: basically